sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: sterling

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 19, 2015 2:00 pm

freshie wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
freshie wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I don't understand why we need Sterling to be world class. He's 20 years old & fast, can beat a man & scores the odd goal. He is effectively taking up a place in the squad which is currently empty, as Lampard is going. He's been possibly their outstanding player vs us. He's not a Sinclair type signing.

By all reports, City expect to have money to spend, irrespective of ffp. If he comes in & is just 'ok' we can move him on to at his peak & get a decent fee for him. If he's brilliant we have him for years or we sell him to Real Madrid for a bucket full of cash. It"s miles more than he's worth but so is every single fee we are being quoted. And we may get him for less anyway.

If it stops us from signing our biggest target then of course it's a mistake, but they wouldn't sign him under those circumstances. And our big targets are going to be chased by others, so we are not necessarily favourites.

If he's just 'ok' then we aren't going to recoup what we paid for him. Just because we have an incredibly rich owner doesn't mean that we should pay over the odds for players - does value for money not come into the equation? I just think that £50m is too much to spend on a largely unproven player with a questionable off the field track record. We paid £38m for Aguero who was a much better player at the time then Sterling is now - I find it hard to justify the £50m fee that is being quoted and wouldn't want us to pay more than £30m for him. Let's not forget that he has only had one good season. You say that you don't understand why he has to be world class - that's fine as long as we don't pay the sort of money that is spent on world class players. I think that we are only favourites to sign him because nobody else is going to pay the amount of money that Liverpool want for him

Pogba isn't world class.

We either sign nobody or pay over the odds. Sterling's record in the Premier League is way ahead of Pogba's.

Although I didn't mention Pogba, I agree he isn't world class and the £70-80m fees being quoted for him are obscene

I agree the numbers being banded about are stupid, but I think he is a player that would come into our team and improve us, that is the minimum we should be aiming for, IMO Pogba is a brilliant player and one that will dominate midfield for a long time.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby freshie » Tue May 19, 2015 2:06 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:The way people going on here trying justify how good he is because they want him at the club is laughable.

He's exceptionally talented for a 20 year old and has the pace to terrorise most defenders. He hadn't been at his best the second half of this season but I think that is down to him being unsettled as others have pointed out. How many better under 21s can you name in the premier league?
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue May 19, 2015 2:41 pm

Raheem Sterling has "not achieved anything" and should stay at Liverpool, says former Reds winger John Barnes.

John mate, that's why he's going !
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue May 19, 2015 2:50 pm

I'd sign the little fucker no doubt.

He is summat different and i like him.

Simple.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 19, 2015 3:07 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:Fulham, QPR, same thing.

Yeah, sorry, I knew it was that neck of the woods. I got confused with Lionel Smalling
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby freshie » Tue May 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
freshie wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
freshie wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I don't understand why we need Sterling to be world class. He's 20 years old & fast, can beat a man & scores the odd goal. He is effectively taking up a place in the squad which is currently empty, as Lampard is going. He's been possibly their outstanding player vs us. He's not a Sinclair type signing.

By all reports, City expect to have money to spend, irrespective of ffp. If he comes in & is just 'ok' we can move him on to at his peak & get a decent fee for him. If he's brilliant we have him for years or we sell him to Real Madrid for a bucket full of cash. It"s miles more than he's worth but so is every single fee we are being quoted. And we may get him for less anyway.

If it stops us from signing our biggest target then of course it's a mistake, but they wouldn't sign him under those circumstances. And our big targets are going to be chased by others, so we are not necessarily favourites.

If he's just 'ok' then we aren't going to recoup what we paid for him. Just because we have an incredibly rich owner doesn't mean that we should pay over the odds for players - does value for money not come into the equation? I just think that £50m is too much to spend on a largely unproven player with a questionable off the field track record. We paid £38m for Aguero who was a much better player at the time then Sterling is now - I find it hard to justify the £50m fee that is being quoted and wouldn't want us to pay more than £30m for him. Let's not forget that he has only had one good season. You say that you don't understand why he has to be world class - that's fine as long as we don't pay the sort of money that is spent on world class players. I think that we are only favourites to sign him because nobody else is going to pay the amount of money that Liverpool want for him

Pogba isn't world class.

We either sign nobody or pay over the odds. Sterling's record in the Premier League is way ahead of Pogba's.

Although I didn't mention Pogba, I agree he isn't world class and the £70-80m fees being quoted for him are obscene

I agree the numbers being banded about are stupid, but I think he is a player that would come into our team and improve us, that is the minimum we should be aiming for, IMO Pogba is a brilliant player and one that will dominate midfield for a long time.

I suppose we are paying for potential as well which if those players fulfil could get us to the top
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby PeterParker » Tue May 19, 2015 3:33 pm

I would sign the little fucker in a heart beat.

However, i think he will have huge problems with his accomodation here. Huge gamble, i would sign him, but i hope City will stay away.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby ruralblue » Tue May 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Milner + Jovetic + 15 million and job done. Good to have a player who will run at defences and can see him linking up well with Serg and Bony.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:58 pm

ruralblue wrote:Milner + Jovetic + 15 million and job done. Good to have a player who will run at defences and can see him linking up well with Serg and Bony.

I know Milner could walk on a freebie, but I think that over values Sterling, still.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby ruralblue » Tue May 19, 2015 4:27 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
ruralblue wrote:Milner + Jovetic + 15 million and job done. Good to have a player who will run at defences and can see him linking up well with Serg and Bony.

I know Milner could walk on a freebie, but I think that over values Sterling, still.

Oh yeah shit he does doesn't he.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby PeterParker » Tue May 19, 2015 4:35 pm

When does his contract expire? Next summer or in two years?

If next summer, we can milk the situation in our favour.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 19, 2015 4:42 pm

PeterParker wrote:

When does his contract expire? Next summer or in two years?

If next summer, we can milk the situation in our favour.

Sterlings expires December 2017, he can buy out of his contract at Xmas this year. He is currently on 30k a week, so prob about £3m to buy it out. Seems like a good deal if we could swing that scenario. I think there is more chance of Arse or Chelsea though, he is a london boy.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby PrezIke » Tue May 19, 2015 6:08 pm

It's funny to hear talk of loyalty to a club when players will be shown the door quite easily when they don't perform well enough.

It's a two way street in professional sport, but for some reason the players who want out when certain supporters and media pundits deem one does not have "the right" to decide one's own life trajectory when an opportunity is present are not "allowed" to do this. Apply this to anyone in any real job and it would be baffling to suggest to anyone with a strong sense of ambition.

Professional football and pretty much all other global sports operate under the guise of mostly unbridled free-market capitalism, whether fans like it or not. This is even more the case in global football say versus many American professional sports that limit player movement, wages (via a "salary cap" and other collective bargaining agreement measures that say a player can get a "max" contract set by those rules) when one is under contract, but clubs can "trade" them to another club in the same league against a player's will.

Why was Hazard or Oscar allowed to be sold without the same level of animosity that Sterling seems to receive? Because folks think he isn't as good as he allegedly thinks? Last season he was practically a revelation. On England's World Cup team he was placed in the first eleven and showed some strong ability except that he had issues with fitness in the Brazilian heat.

Basing every young English player on the busts of the past, sounds eerily like Brazilians can't play well in England either, or can a player perform on a cold, wet Tuesday night in Stoke. Basically, this is a bunch of mythological rhetoric that somehow is seen as real evidence to hold all new players against.

He is better than Barkley and is a spark plug our team could badly use. He would likely thrive in our attacking system surrounded by players of real quality that Liverpool cannot offer anytime soon. That may upset traditionalists and Liverpool supporters, but global football is a higherarchy based system of haves, almost haves and have nots. Or maybe just feeder and poaching clubs. That's professional sport, and as Kurtis Blow once said..."These are the breaks!"

Support pub teams and lower level football if this really bothers you. Is that fair? No, but nor is the way our world works in many ways. City have been victims of it with FFP as well, when we were on a trajectory that could have put us at an even higher level than we are now. That's the breaks for us too, but I know that's how it is and can accept it.

Can Carragher and his like? Seems not, but it will be to little avail at this point. Didn't seem to bother him when Liverpool were the beneficiaries of the structures of the past. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but that's how it is, and really I can't blame Sterling if he wants out.

All players want to be at the best clubs with the best chance of winning. If Real Madrid or Barca came calling for some of our players we might struggle to keep hold of them as well. Just deal with it and move forward. Really tiring to hear this over and over again in such a hypocritical manner.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby branny » Tue May 19, 2015 8:48 pm

He may not be world class buts he's an upgrade on Navas. He's ten years younger, can beat a man, has more goal threat, (his composure when he scored against us was impressive), is English and proven in the top flight. We paid nearly 15 mil for Navas so if can get Sterling for 35 mil it works for me.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Wooders » Tue May 19, 2015 8:50 pm

See he won the "young player we want to sell at a vastly overinflated price of the year"
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Personally, I like his raw talent. He has pace and he is direct, both of which we really haven't had at the club since SWP. He's had a quiet season this time round, but he's been in a team which has struggled with the loss of both of his forward partners, and I don't think that should be discounted in the dip in form.

He was pretty damned good last season with Suarez and Sturridge and playing an attacking style of football, still rough round the edges, but you can see the talent he has. However, he isn't a centre forward, nor is he a right midfielder, nor will he ever be either of those. And the problem therefore rests with which manager we will have in charge next season.

If it's Pellegrini, I've seen no evidence he will play 3 up top, and whilst he does play with two wide men, Navas, Milner etc, get stuck in defensively which I don't think Sterling is upto, nor ever will be.

For that reason, signing him would quite possibly be 'one for the future' as we should probably expect that if there is any deal for guardiola to come in 12 months time (or sooner) we can bet that there is already a transfer strategy in place to work towards having the right players to work his system. At that point, he would be a good signing for playing in a front 3 with two accomplished players like, Aguero and someone like Bale on the left
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby PrezIke » Tue May 19, 2015 9:14 pm

We could immediately play a 433 sterling bony kun
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue May 19, 2015 10:11 pm

PrezIke wrote:We could immediately play a 433 sterling bony kun

im·me·di·ate·ly
iˈmēdēətlē/
adverb
at once; instantly.
"I called immediately for an ambulance"
synonyms: straightaway, at once, right away, instantly, now, directly, promptly, forthwith, this/that (very) minute, this/that instant, there and then, then and there, on the spot, here and now, without delay, without further ado, posthaste; More
without any intervening time or space.
"she was sitting immediately behind me"

conjunctionBRITISH
as soon as.
"let me know immediately she arrives"

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue May 19, 2015 10:38 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
twosips wrote:Have him in a heartbeat. Excellent potential and very talented. And fast.

sterling
bony
aguero

from page 1
if people read shit (like phips) this place would be a whole load more efficient
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby freshie » Tue May 19, 2015 10:54 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
PrezIke wrote:We could immediately play a 433 sterling bony kun

im·me·di·ate·ly
iˈmēdēətlē/
adverb
at once; instantly.
"I called immediately for an ambulance"
synonyms: straightaway, at once, right away, instantly, now, directly, promptly, forthwith, this/that (very) minute, this/that instant, there and then, then and there, on the spot, here and now, without delay, without further ado, posthaste; More
without any intervening time or space.
"she was sitting immediately behind me"

conjunctionBRITISH
as soon as.
"let me know immediately she arrives"

cheers

Pedant

cheers
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site