Cathedral of Football

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Cathedral of Football

Postby Herb » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:25 pm

twosips wrote:The really fussy, neat freak inside me hates the fact that the roof's natural curve doesn't fit with the new tier. It just suddenly juts up to join the new heightened roof. Gutted </3

All aspects of the design will have been considered by expert professionals and that will include the aesthetics of the adjoining roof lines where the expanded south stand meets the original.
You're also quite right because it does look a bit clunky - this will not be by accident though and my opinion is that this is because the design allows for the side stands to be ultimately expanded to raise capacity yet again, beyond the 61k that will be achieved when the family stand is similarly expanded, and to take it up to something approaching 80k.

I know that nothing of this ilk has been announced (who would want to raise expectations thereby setting a timeline that is currently at large?) but I also know that our owners have massive ambition and will not be happy to settle for having the second biggest ground in the uk so will have catered for the eventuality of further expansion in this current design. Nothing else would make sense would it?

I certainly expect to see the Etihad attain a larger capacity than the swamp within the next 20 years - possibly within 15 or less because 61k will not be enough.
If we had De Gea and the rags had Hart, we'd be top with a 9 point lead and they'd be in 12th place - that's the difference between a 'good' keeper and a 'top class' keeper - 12 places - think about it.
Herb
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: City super City
My favourite player is: NOT Howler Hart!

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:29 pm

The eventual plan is to do the west and east stands to match up with the new roof line, adding a few extra rows and a new roof to the current stands. If memory serves me right, attendance should be near 70k by the time the overall masterplan is completed. All very much a long game, but those corner roof sections are like that by design.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Herb » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:34 pm

KinkyKinkladze wrote:The eventual plan is to do the west and east stands to match up with the new roof line, adding a few extra rows and a new roof to the current stands. If memory serves me right, attendance should be near 70k by the time the overall masterplan is completed. All very much a long game, but those corner roof sections are like that by design.

I hadn't heard that but it makes perfect sense . . except to limit it to 70k .
If we had De Gea and the rags had Hart, we'd be top with a 9 point lead and they'd be in 12th place - that's the difference between a 'good' keeper and a 'top class' keeper - 12 places - think about it.
Herb
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: City super City
My favourite player is: NOT Howler Hart!

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:38 pm

KinkyKinkladze wrote:The eventual plan is to do the west and east stands to match up with the new roof line, adding a few extra rows and a new roof to the current stands. If memory serves me right, attendance should be near 70k by the time the overall masterplan is completed. All very much a long game, but those corner roof sections are like that by design.

I've heard rumours to that effect, but are you saying you have info on this or are you quoting said rumours ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:47 pm

The big problem with such ambitious plans is always the time scales allowed for working on it. There is a very short time-scale to perform such a large extension down the East and west sides due to the size and enormity of the undertaking. If this were to go ahead, I would expect the capacity to be reduced during the work taking place, maybe even having one side of the ground shut to allow the work to be completed faster and without having to tiptoe around fixtures.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:06 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

I've heard rumours to that effect, but are you saying you have info on this or are you quoting said rumours ?

No rumours. Very public masterplan. There are renders knocking about somewhere. All was revealed when the expansion of the south stand was confirmed.

If I remember rightly, the north stand will be expanded from next summer, providing the take up is good on the south. Then the club will look at the next phase depending on the success of the north and south stands. If all is well, they'll do east and west, one season at a time. This all depends on on pitch success drawing in new punters mind.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:08 pm

Wonderwall wrote:The big problem with such ambitious plans is always the time scales allowed for working on it. There is a very short time-scale to perform such a large extension down the East and west sides due to the size and enormity of the undertaking. If this were to go ahead, I would expect the capacity to be reduced during the work taking place, maybe even having one side of the ground shut to allow the work to be completed faster and without having to tiptoe around fixtures.

Wouldn't need to. The ground is capable of being expanded like the south stand is, or the new scouser stand. Build from behind, then remove the existing roof to reveal a new stand.

The current roof is quite complex what with the catenary, but the stands themselves were designed to be built upon, hence the marvellous work done on the south stand with negligent impact on attendance.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:56 pm

The renders that I've seen which are knocking around ont net, are a possible, not a definite. Just an example of what 'could' be, not what will be.

I think it will eventually happen, but I think it's more likely the ground will end up attached to part of the 'collar site' development. Not because I know anything but purely because it would seem to be a missed opportunity if it wasn't.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:02 pm

They're masterplan renders which is fairly indicative of what they intend to finish up with. Seem far more detailed than general massing renders, which are always open to interpretation. The fact they've taken the time to make them with consideration to the spirals shows they're fairly serious.

As for the collar site, despite what bluemongs say, no fucker knows what is planned for there. First the idea was a leisure destination of international prominence, latest rumours moot a mixed office/leisure/residential effort. Fact of the matter is, nobody but the very people planning it have a clue. Personally, I think the collar site is very much the least of adug's concerns as it stands and I'd be very very surprised if we see anything serious happen there for a good few years.

My own feelings are city square will move there once the north stand expansion begins, but in a bigger, better albeit possibly temporary form.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:00 pm

If we build it, they will come.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:07 am

Wedderburn done it again this morning lol. Wonder how many rags will complain to sky about impartiality;)
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:48 am

I'm told that under the stands at the new posh parts are magnificent. A friend of mine was there a couple of weeks ago and reckoned although he had been going iin 221 for the last six years, he barely recognised the place.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:05 am

london blue 2 wrote:Wedderburn done it again this morning lol. Wonder how many rags will complain to sky about impartiality;)

Love Mikey Baby this morning with his Sky Blue pocket square in.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:24 am

lets all have a disco wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:Wedderburn done it again this morning lol. Wonder how many rags will complain to sky about impartiality;)

Love Mikey Baby this morning with his Sky Blue pocket square in.

Yep. His little comment about "maybe sterling is coming for trophies rather than the money" made me laugh.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:24 pm

<Bump>

If we build it they will come!

Latest Twatter rumour is : KDB next week. Apparently Carla Kompany is sending cryptic messages now.

I hope all our targets arrive before the start of the season.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby zuricity » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:10 pm

Anyway it is the Mecca of Football. That's what my Dad said and i'm sticking with that.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum