The Sack Race

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Sack Race

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:48 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Forest have sacked Montanier after barely six months. A turnstile instead of a for on the managers office.

Maybe Moyes might not have to wait too long before some mug of a chairman falls for his bullshit

Sad times there.

They were hoping that owner will help them come back up, instead he is killing the club. Really sad when you look at what happend with them since they relegated in 99.

Yeah. A big club that really has fallen. Far more likely to drop a division again than gain promotion. And still the thick end of 20000 turn up

Another 'big' club which has been out of the top flight for quite some time is Leeds United.

Whether you can just about tolerate them, or whether you can't stand them, you've got to admit that the size of the crowds they get is commendable, given what they've had to go through in recent times and even if they have far more than their fair share of idiots spread amongst the decent fans.

My (now ex) brother in law is a long standing Leeds fan and, like many of them, he has one redeeming feature; he hates the Scum with a passion and intensity which is quite endearing, as well as being long enduring.

If ever Leeds do succeed in getting back to the PL, there'll be some fun and games when they have to go to the Swamp.

There are quite a few "big clubs" that have fallen on tough times in the lower leagues. Both Sheffield clubs, Aston Villa, Wolves, Leeds, Forest, Newcastle (though they look like coming back at the first time of asking) all have good histories and get decent support in decent stadiums. Just the way football is I guess and but for the Sheikh taking over we may have found ourselves in a similar position

Absolutely.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:05 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Forest have sacked Montanier after barely six months. A turnstile instead of a for on the managers office.

Maybe Moyes might not have to wait too long before some mug of a chairman falls for his bullshit

Sad times there.

They were hoping that owner will help them come back up, instead he is killing the club. Really sad when you look at what happend with them since they relegated in 99.

Yeah. A big club that really has fallen. Far more likely to drop a division again than gain promotion. And still the thick end of 20000 turn up

Another 'big' club which has been out of the top flight for quite some time is Leeds United.

Whether you can just about tolerate them, or whether you can't stand them, you've got to admit that the size of the crowds they get is commendable, given what they've had to go through in recent times and even if they have far more than their fair share of idiots spread amongst the decent fans.

My (now ex) brother in law is a long standing Leeds fan and, like many of them, he has one redeeming feature; he hates the Scum with a passion and intensity which is quite endearing, as well as being long enduring.

If ever Leeds do succeed in getting back to the PL, there'll be some fun and games when they have to go to the Swamp.

Few clubs have such a moronic support. There are some proper idiots amongst them..
I should also point out that their support deserted in droves very quickly. They went from 40000 sell out every week to little over half of it in fairly short order. And it started before they got relegated.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:29 am

I wonder what are the odds for Josep G leaving before the season is over?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Dub City » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:37 am

Moonchesteri wrote:I wonder what are the odds for Josep G leaving before the season is over?

Whatever about he walking which I cant see him doing, we cant chase a man for 4 years then sack him within the season.
Dub City
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:09 am

Dub City wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:I wonder what are the odds for Josep G leaving before the season is over?

Whatever about he walking which I cant see him doing, we cant chase a man for 4 years then sack him within the season.

Yeah mate I think the powers have full faith in him so he would have to walk himself. He doesn't look happy right now but hope we can somehow get results soon so it will be smiles all round and we can forget these
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby PeterParker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:54 am

nottsblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

Sad times there.

There are quite a few "big clubs" that have fallen on tough times in the lower leagues. Both Sheffield clubs, Aston Villa, Wolves, Leeds, Forest, Newcastle (though they look like coming back at the first time of asking) all have good histories and get decent support in decent stadiums. Just the way football is I guess and but for the Sheikh taking over we may have found ourselves in a similar position

Would Preston go in that category also? I am saying Preston thinking at their early history and be called a ”big club”?

Regarding Forest, I always had a small soft spot for them since I've heard about Cloughie and what he did there. I think there is a huge gap between the fans and what the board actually wants there. Like you said, they will go down sooner than promote in the top flight. Sad times because if you look at their squad, they are actually not that bad.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Re Preston. Much more of a historical big club. Won the first two League titles and did the double in the first year whilst remaining unbeaten, albeit in a much smaller league. The likes of Huddersfield and Burnley can fall into this catagory. Both have won the division one title a couple of times, indeed Huddersfield were the first side to win three in a row back in the '20s.

Preston though haven't really done anything of great note for probably over 100 years and don't have the support the other clubs previously mentioned have.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby RodneyRodney » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:32 am

Regarding Cloughie's time @ Forest - one of their best games was around Xmas 77/78 - I went to The Swamp & watched them pull the Rags pants down 0-4 ! Beautiful !
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:57 am

nottsblue wrote:Re Preston. Much more of a historical big club. Won the first two League titles and did the double in the first year whilst remaining unbeaten, albeit in a much smaller league. The likes of Huddersfield and Burnley can fall into this catagory. Both have won the division one title a couple of times, indeed Huddersfield were the first side to win three in a row back in the '20s.

Preston though haven't really done anything of great note for probably over 100 years and don't have the support the other clubs previously mentioned have.

The last thing of note, to my mind, that Preston have done, was appearing in the 1964 FA Cup Final against West Ham.

Although, at that time Preston were only in the old Second Division and playing against the Hammers who were a First Division outfit, it wasn't a bad game at all and definitely one of the better Cup Finals around that time (think of the awful 1965 encounter between Leeds and Liverpool).

West Ham won the game 3-2.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:48 pm

How long does BFS last?
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Slim » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:How long does BFS last?

If his last stint was anything to go by, another 6 weeks.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PrezIke » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Klopp?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:20 pm

PrezIke wrote:Klopp?

Even though he has a worse record than Van Ghoul, he is a genius. All the pundits seem to think so anyway.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:26 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:

Even though he has a worse record than Van Ghoul, he is a genius. All the pundits seem to think so anyway.

Sunday Supplement will rip him apart tomorrow....won't they?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Ranieri is on thin ice if they start to frequent the relegation zone
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:44 pm

Klipperty is losing the dipper crowd.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Lev Bronstein » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:03 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Re Preston. Much more of a historical big club. Won the first two League titles and did the double in the first year whilst remaining unbeaten, albeit in a much smaller league. The likes of Huddersfield and Burnley can fall into this catagory. Both have won the division one title a couple of times, indeed Huddersfield were the first side to win three in a row back in the '20s.

The last thing of note, to my mind, that Preston have done, was appearing in the 1964 FA Cup Final against West Ham.

Although, at that time Preston were only in the old Second Division and playing against the Hammers who were a First Division outfit, it wasn't a bad game at all and definitely one of the better Cup Finals around that time (think of the awful 1965 encounter between Leeds and Liverpool).

A certain Howard Kendal played for PNE, at that time he was the youngest ever to play in a Cup Final
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Lev Bronstein wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

A certain Howard Kendal played for PNE, at that time he was the youngest ever to play in a Cup Final

You're right LB; I'd forgotten about that.

The game itself was a contrast in styles with West Ham trying to play some pretty football, whilst Preston had a big, bustling, traditional English centre forward called Alex Dawson and they played a lot of stuff up to him in the air.

There were some absolutely dire Cup Finals around that time but this was quite a good one (not as good as 1969 though :D :D :D :D :D ).
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Lev Bronstein » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Lev Bronstein wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

You're right LB; I'd forgotten about that.

The game itself was a contrast in styles with West Ham trying to play some pretty football, whilst Preston had a big, bustling, traditional English centre forward called Alex Dawson and they played a lot of stuff up to him in the air.

There were some absolutely dire Cup Finals around that time but this was quite a good one (not as good as 1969 though :D :D :D :D :D ).

Eeee, memory lane, my dad took me to see Preston knock the Spurs of Jimmy Greaves out of the Cup - no segregation of fans either. You're right Dawson was an absolute brute. The first cross would come over, the ball, goalie and a couple of defenders would be in the back of the net - he got a bit of space after that.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby MUS » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:03 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:

Sunday Supplement will rip him apart tomorrow....won't they?

Hahaha, genuinely lolled at that.
CENTURIONS
MUS
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum