Football Media

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Football Media

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri May 19, 2023 10:31 am

wonder what the lefty twats are fishing for with this?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nt-success
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby carolina-blue » Fri May 19, 2023 12:17 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:wonder what the lefty twats are fishing for with this?

The rag hordes will will fill it full of venom . And it will be the World has spoken Man City cheats need banning They will catch Moby Dick with this shit
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby nottsblue » Fri May 19, 2023 4:43 pm

Bit of good news. Jake Humphreys is leaving BT sport
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Fri May 19, 2023 5:30 pm

nottsblue wrote:Bit of good news. Jake Humphreys is leaving BT sport

Excellent news
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Fri May 19, 2023 6:02 pm

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has suggested he will only pay his £75,000 Football Association fine if the money goes to "a good cause".

The German said he would "like to know" and "if it does, I'm happy to pay it. If it doesn't, we need to talk again".

Has there ever been such an arrogant twat of a manager? I don’t remember Ferguson being this bad!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Fri May 19, 2023 6:05 pm

Mase wrote:Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has suggested he will only pay his £75,000 Football Association fine if the money goes to "a good cause".

The German said he would "like to know" and "if it does, I'm happy to pay it. If it doesn't, we need to talk again".

Has there ever been such an arrogant twat of a manager? I don’t remember Ferguson being this bad!

Well he did refuse to speak to the media, just saying.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Outcast » Fri May 19, 2023 6:37 pm

The way I see it, our fan base is growing rapidly. We're becoming so successful it's rather depressing for the oppo. All the above tells me their desperate, everything they threw at us hasn't worked. These charges supposed to derails us and yet it has galvanised the club, Pep and the players.

Salty tears

P.s Simon Jordan has changed his tune recently, I wonder if our club's legal team got in touch?
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Fri May 19, 2023 8:02 pm

Just read the odious Jonathan Wilson's latest Guardian hate piece, not going to link it but here's my response on his twitter feed, probably won't be up for long.
It is sad to see what you have become since the days of your admirable Blizzard. To have so uncritically embraced the shameful agenda of the US-owned PL club axis requires such a sustained repression of the intellect I suppose it is an achievement of sorts in itself. Well done.
8:52 PM · May 19, 2023

I have also responded to their City fan survey as follows - hope they get in touch

I am deeply unhappy to have seen the disgraceful attempts to destroy City by rival clubs over the last 15 years. Fortunately they have spectacularly failed so far but it seems the attacks will persist as long as the growing axis of US-owned PL clubs continues to pressure the PL to use their FFP protection racket to destabilise our club and their client media to continue promoting the associated (blatantly racist) anti-arab propaganda using baseless smears about state ownership/sportswashing/financial doping/ tarnished & asterixed achievements etc etc. Their agenda to inflict commercial and reputational damage is motivated by simple greed and fear of competition. If unchecked I believe it will destroy top level football in this country.

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby CTID Hants » Sat May 20, 2023 10:12 am

PeterParker wrote:

Why are we constantly letting this spitter in our ground?

This tweet was viral yesterday with all the wankfest he was "talking sense" and other shite when the first part is him talking shite about us and the second part about the rags treble from 99.

Twosips baited the spitter and then the daily failn wrote an article on it!!!!

Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Mase » Sat May 20, 2023 10:42 am

Embarrassing by that TwoSips. He’s openly said something wasn’t the same with City early in the season so he’s just mugged himself off. Looks like a tit, but apparently most of BlueMoon think he is a tit from some of the stuff he was saying during COVID..
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby salford city » Sat May 20, 2023 9:01 pm

BBC Ordsall Quays some tit on the charges - hehe it is fucking killing you isnt it? Ros Atkins, take a fucking bow
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby nottsblue » Mon May 22, 2023 12:05 pm

nottsblue

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Mon May 22, 2023 12:15 pm

Holt in the Mail going on about “repressive state owned clubs” like City being to rich and powerful for the rest. Also making reference to 115 financial charges by PL the narrative is to tarnish our magnificent achievements, but is pathetic and embarrassing for the likes of Holt, Ladyman and Herbert, absolutely pathetic failed journos on the payroll of the red shirt cartel.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Indianablue » Mon May 22, 2023 12:39 pm

nottsblue wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/65670664

Fair play to Souness

Agree, always liked Souness, seems a pretty straight guy
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Francis Lee

Postby salford city » Mon May 22, 2023 12:51 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:Holt in the Mail going on about “repressive state owned clubs” like City being to rich and powerful for the rest. Also making reference to 115 financial charges by PL the narrative is to tarnish our magnificent achievements, but is pathetic and embarrassing for the likes of Holt, Ladyman and Herbert, absolutely pathetic failed journos on the payroll of the red shirt cartel.

I know we've come to expect nothing less from this bunch but the sheer hypocrisy of their argument is mind-blowing. Everyone was happy when the red shite were chosen as the poster boys for Sky and subsequently bankrolled which allowed them to sweep up al lthe talent. Keane Ferdinand Rooney - the list is endless. That said, every article thar i see like this makes me smile - they just cannot accept that we are still here- arguably, stronger than ever. Keep writing boys and girls we will continue to pile the pots up
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby stupot » Tue May 23, 2023 3:56 pm

Martin Samuel.
Pep Guardiola is dominating the Premier League not Manchester City.
Interesting.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Paul68 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:06 pm

stupot wrote:Martin Samuel.
Interesting.

Is that cos he scores all goals.. makes all the assists.. which he then runs onto... Makes all the saves....?
He's prob the most important cog in the engine yes certainly... But there lots of others too
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

Postby Mase » Tue May 23, 2023 4:07 pm

Mad that. Because Pep was just a cheque book manager that went to teams with the most money and can’t deal with egos according to the whole world
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Tue May 23, 2023 7:10 pm

stupot wrote:Martin Samuel.
Interesting.

Pep Guardiola is dominating the Premier League, not Man City
When their exceptional leader decides to leave, Manchester City will struggle in the same way Manchester United did after Sir Alex Ferguson

Martin Samuel
Monday May 22 2023, 8.00am, The Times

It’s Pep Guardiola. Don’t you see that? It’s not Manchester City, it’s him. City are a well-run club, we know. Intelligent, empowering, exceptional recruitment strategies. Even so, take Guardiola away, and they don’t win five titles in six.

Sporting success is about individuals, not institutions. We underestimate the influence of these lone figures sometimes. Arsène Wenger, Sir Alex Ferguson. We think a club has a way of playing, a signature, when a club just sits there useless, largely, until an individual flicks a switch, ignites a spark. That is what Guardiola has done at Manchester City. That is why this is about him, more than them. Everyone is scared of them. Everyone thinks they will dominate for years. Really? Without Guardiola? We’ll see.

Some years ago, on the way to an England game, I happened to be sitting across the aisle from David Gill, who was then the chief executive of Manchester United. A conversation ensued on the subject of financial fair play, which I regarded as elitist, protectionist and corrupted by a cabal of entitled clubs, such as his. And still do, by the way. David, unsurprisingly, disagreed. I argued FFP had cemented Manchester United in a place from which they could never fail. I asked for one reason this would not, in time, deliver the title to Manchester United every season, as their financial advantage grew ever greater. He couldn’t come up with one, but we agreed to discuss it at a later date over lunch.
Ferguson signs off after his final match in charge of Manchester United ten years ago – the club have not won the title since

By the time we next met up, that point was moot. I was wrong. Not about FFP. Even its staunchest advocates now admit it has damaged competition. I was wrong about Manchester United. Gill’s club hadn’t been top of the pyramid because it was Manchester United. The club was there because of Sir Alex Ferguson, and by then he had departed — and with him United’s dominance had too. It will be the same with Guardiola and Manchester City.

This is why it does him a disservice when contemporaries like Sam Allardyce boast they could do the same job given the same opportunity, as if it is only about the money. When Allardyce was England manager, briefly, his most innovative idea was to try to pick a French guy, Steven N’Zonzi. Guardiola looked at John Stones and saw a hybrid defensive midfielder. That’s brilliance. Stones had worked with many coaches: Keith Hill, David Flitcroft, Micky Mellon and Danny Wilson at Barnsley, David Moyes and Roberto Martínez at Everton, Roy Hodgson, Allardyce and Gareth Southgate for England. Not one of them had spotted that.

So Guardiola’s insights have delivered the league in five out of six seasons; and might do so again if he chooses to stay that long. Having said this, when asked if the Treble could be both crowning glory and fitting farewell this season, Guardiola left the question hanging. Who knows when this ends? Yet end it will one day, and that is why the idea Manchester City will dominate and turn the Premier League into a dull, predictable battle for second place in the many years ahead, is false. Guardiola will eventually leave and the narrative will change. City didn’t dominate before he arrived, and chances are they won’t after he has left, either. Like Ferguson, he is unique for the time. And like Ferguson his success will be almost impossible to replicate.

The plane conversation with Gill was prior to Ferguson’s departure in 2013, and Manchester United are waiting for their first league title of that post-Ferguson era. They have tried coaches of every description: serial winners, local heroes, Ferguson’s own pick, and the present man is doing a very good job — but they’ve never been close. So nothing is forever in football and while FFP increases the odds of success for the traditional elite, even that comes without guarantees. It turns out Ferguson was the special one, not Manchester United as an entity. Clubs are special in other ways, but people win leagues, and when Ferguson stepped down, the magic went with him.

As Guardiola, too, must ultimately depart. City may still have the most money then. But so what? City have had the most money under every manager since Sheikh Mansour’s takeover and it has never before worked out like this. Roberto Mancini won the title once in his four seasons there. City then won a single title in three years under Manuel Pellegrini, and their league position worsened each season, from first, to second, then fourth.

It is Guardiola who has turned City’s obvious strengths into an enduring winning streak. Who follows him? Is there any manager in the game today as innovative? Remove Guardiola and City would be casting around as Manchester United were a decade ago. A local hero in Vincent Kompany? A serial winner like Zinedine Zidane? The next cab off the rank in Arne Slot or Luciano Spalletti? Really, do you see five in six coming from them? Four in six? Two in three? It’s a shot in the dark, as it became for Manchester United. And as this project had its germination in Barcelona, would City be looking for a new director of football, too? Maybe a squad rebuild if key protagonists identified a natural end to the relationship.

All speculation, of course. But there is a reason English football has topped off at three titles in row, across three centuries. Even City’s five in six has been done before, by Liverpool between 1978-79 and 1983-84, with only Ron Saunders’ Aston Villa standing between. And Manchester United did seven in nine (1992-93 to 2000-01) and five in seven three times (1992-93 to 1998-99, 1996-97 to 2002-03, 2006-07 to 2012-13).

So, this is not unprecedented. It is what the greatest managers do. Four of Liverpool’s five in six were achieved under Bob Paisley, while all of United’s best sequences belonged to Ferguson. Yet neither club has dominated again the same way. Joe Fagan, Kenny Dalglish and Jürgen Klopp all won titles with Liverpool but couldn’t retain them, and a post-Ferguson manager at United is yet to trouble the Premier League’s trophy engravers. The presumption that even without Guardiola, City would keep winning the same way is not borne out by history.
Mancini, left, won the title with Manchester City in 2012 but was sacked when he was unable to follow it up the next season

And Manchester City are a more expertly run club than Manchester United were in 2013 when Ferguson retired, that much is true. Gill left at the same time, which many see as significant, while few would make a case for the Glazers’ stewardship over that of Sheikh Mansour. In that way, yes, City are better set up to thrive no matter the circumstances. Yet United, through Gill, had negotiated every advantage within the corridors of power and still could not make it work without Ferguson. For all the fears, for all the conspiracy theories, it simply amounted to one man being very, very good at his job, and then leaving. As that will become City’s problem, too, some day.

LIVE POLL
5,116 VOTES
Will City win the Treble?
83% of users agree with you!
83%
Yes

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby nottsblue » Tue May 23, 2023 8:15 pm

Must say there is a fair bit of truth in there from Samuel. All good things come to an end. But hopefully it won't be for a little while yet. And as a club, off the field, we are arguably in a better shape than the rags were when Bacon fucked off

But in essence, the manager is the most important guy at a club and to replace the best in the world who is a serial winner is gonna be a very difficult job
nottsblue

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum