Football Media

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Football Media

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:59 am

(0936 GMT) Just watching BBC News Channel Sports Report - news reader Ben Brown "Over to John Watson for news of Liverpool's glorious victory yesterday...." cue Watson's analysis of the said 'glorious' but in reality extremely fortunate win (in which the inept officials failed to disallow two of the goals - one clearly offside and one a joke penalty) cue back to the studio "Do you think Liverpool will catch Manchester City" - news reader..."unfortunately not".
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Simister » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:27 am

What exactly is John Aldridge's problem with City?

I read (on here I think) that he was once drafted in as a late replacement at a fans forum, and was completely ignored, and since then has had a chip on his shoulder.

But how can any "newspaper" allow him to write such bigoted crap and lies and hope to be taken seriously?

Aldridge in the Irish Independent

So the Grief could have won three more titles if we weren't so rich....

You're just a shit Ian Rush wannabe mate.
Last edited by Simister on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Simister
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: SWP

Postby Scatman » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:35 am

Simister wrote:What exactly is John Aldridge's problem with City?

I read (on here I think) that he was once drafted in as a late replacement at a fans forum, and was completely ignored, and since then has had a chip on his shoulder.

But how can any "newspaper" allow him to write such bigoted crap and lies and hope to be taken seriously?

Why wasn't he complaining when for ten years there were four teams that were allowed to qualify for the Champions League every season and use over every other domestic team the huge financial advantage that gave them?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Original Dub » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:38 am

I hope city's legal team are all over that shitbox newspaper for letting a deluded dipper fan boy say whatever he likes about the club.

Everything about that piece is defamatory.
And lies
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby sheblue » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:00 pm

Just another one standing in the long jealous and bitter line.
Nothing new, some old same old.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:34 pm

Manchester City are not ‘boring’ – they just set out to eliminate all the things you love about football…
Aymeric Laporte of Manchester City celebrates after scoring a goal to make it 1-1 during the Premier League match between Southampton and Manchester City at St Mary's Stadium on January 22, 2022 in Southampton, United Kingdom.

By Sam Lee Jan 24, 2022 13

Boring isn’t it, staying in and watching Manchester City with your life?

Not for them, they like it.

And the ‘neutrals’ might have enjoyed it a bit more than usual on Saturday night, because hosts Southampton put in a fantastically dogged and disciplined display that really stretched Pep Guardiola’s league leaders.

There was a sense of jeopardy throughout; the fear, from a City point of view, that Che Adams or Armando Broja would get in behind and add a second goal, or James Ward-Prowse would conjure a winner from a set piece.

But in reality, City did what they often do. It wasn’t the best example of it, because they didn’t win and because Southampton still played so well themselves, but they managed a difficult game pretty well.

It was put to Guardiola after the 1-1 draw that his team had not been at their best in the first half.

“I disagree with you absolutely,” he contested. “We played really well. Maybe 15, 20 minutes we were maybe not aggressive enough, but the last 20, 25 minutes were excellent and the second half was excellent.

“We made an excellent performance over 90 minutes against a top side.”

It was one of those examples where outside perceptions differ wildly from Guardiola’s, and another one came along very quickly.

Was he surprised Southampton created so many chances?

“It was the goal and two actions that were offside, so, no more chances,” Guardiola replied. “The clear one was set pieces from an exceptional taker (Ward-Prowse). We are good but not good enough to not allow them. We came here to St Mary’s and to concede two chances in 90 minutes is more than good.”

And when you think of it like that, he’s not wrong.

It’s a big reason why people have been calling City ‘boring’ recently, actually.

Some of that can be put down to rivalry, or the money, and that’s unavoidable. But there is a modicum of truth in the accusation, because Guardiola sets out to eliminate all of those things we love about watching football.

Counter-attacks, set-pieces, end-to-end football. The classic ways that smaller teams upset the big boys, the things that decide Champions League knockout ties. He doesn’t want any of that.

Think back to the relatively scrappy 1-0 away win over Brentford, a team set up for fast breaks and balls into your box, just after Christmas.

“If you attack quick, they will attack quicker, and in these attacks they finish really good, they create free kicks, corners, and in these kind of set-pieces they are the best,” Guardiola said following that one. “That’s why we played perfectly the game we should play today.”

If you’re turning on the TV for a City match looking for an upset, you’re not going to come close most of the time.

That day at Brentford, City played at a slower tempo, they kept the ball high up the pitch and closed off any spaces to counter-attack. No ball in their half = no set-pieces into the box.

“I know people like these types of games, but for us it’s not good,” Guardiola said. And that’s the nub of it, really.

They did not cow Southampton like they did Brentford or so many others, but Guardiola’s assessment showed yet again why this City team are so ruthless. They want to dominate, they know how to do it and, as much as anything, they execute it so well, often beautifully.

It was not quite so magnificent on Saturday. City may have ridden out their early struggles, but they were certainly in a game.

Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side made their evening so competitive in all areas, from the first minute to the last, performing brilliantly in all areas. Mohammed Salisu put in one of the Premier League’s best individual performances of the season.

Southampton might have provided other teams with a blueprint of how to play against City, even.

They made life difficult for them, just like they did in a goalless draw in October’s reverse fixture. Their two forwards stopped balls going in to the City holding midfielder — Fernandinho at the Etihad, Rodri on Saturday — and then, when the ball did make it through, pressure was applied and options were cut off. Their work-rate was phenomenal, at times hunting in packs to win the ball back, at times dropping off and blocking off the spaces City like to play into.

That was in both games, and the proof that City did play well at St Mary’s is that they coped much better with that scrutiny. After that October meeting, Guardiola lamented their passing from the back, but here they coped well despite their opponents improving on their first performance.

Having gone behind to Kyle Walker-Peters’ early goal, some shaky passing under pressure and the offside flag coming to their rescue twice, City got a grip of the game.

They pegged Southampton back not only with their possession but their defensive aggression, with Ruben Dias regularly making challenges within 30 yards of Fraser Forster’s goal. The pressing, not least by Kevin De Bruyne, matched Southampton’s efforts.

It wasn’t complete control and it certainly wasn’t another procession, but Guardiola is right, his team did limit the type of chances that looked like they would flow at the start of both halves.

The fact that City’s approach can be praised, to an extent, should only serve to highlight how well Southampton played. Their performance, from the coaching to the implementation, belied the gap between the clubs both in the league table and the Forbes money list.

On the way out of the ground, one Southampton fan asked his friend to rate their team’s performance out of 10. Nine was the answer, and fair enough.

They gave City one of their biggest tests of the season, for the second time, and yet they didn’t create that many chances. Which goes to show how difficult it is to go toe-to-toe with Guardiola’s behemoth, and that’s probably the wider point.

But at least it wasn’t boring.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Outcast » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:57 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... rever.html

Excellent read, I didn't know Crouchy's mum is a blue!
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:26 pm

Outcast wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10433443/PETER-CROUCH-Enjoy-Pep-Guardiolas-Man-City-wont-forever.html

Points he makes perfectly -

“How can you not take pleasure from watching this City team? Even when drawing, here was pure and utter dominance of the football. Wave after wave. We should just enjoy watching greatness before our eyes — it will not be here forever.

Marvel at the superiority, how they play the game. Those 11 men on one side operating at the absolute maximum most weeks. Young kids should be sitting down with a notepad when they have City on.
…….
But runaway leaders are not exactly a new phenomenon, either, and neither are dominant clubs. We have had those for years and years — think Liverpool in the 1980s, Manchester United in the 1990s. Next year the gap will be closer, although this one is not over just yet.”
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Outcast » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:36 pm

Mase wrote:
Outcast wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10433443/PETER-CROUCH-Enjoy-Pep-Guardiolas-Man-City-wont-forever.html

Points he makes perfectly -

“How can you not take pleasure from watching this City team? Even when drawing, here was pure and utter dominance of the football. Wave after wave. We should just enjoy watching greatness before our eyes — it will not be here forever.

Marvel at the superiority, how they play the game. Those 11 men on one side operating at the absolute maximum most weeks. Young kids should be sitting down with a notepad when they have City on.
…….
But runaway leaders are not exactly a new phenomenon, either, and neither are dominant clubs. We have had those for years and years — think Liverpool in the 1980s, Manchester United in the 1990s. Next year the gap will be closer, although this one is not over just yet.”

Nah Farmers league
Outcast

Postby Bluemoon4610 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:43 pm

Such a refreshing contrast to the bitter drivel served up by Aldridge in that other article.
Bluemoon4610
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby salford city » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:25 pm

Bluemoon4610 wrote:

Such a refreshing contrast to the bitter drivel served up by Aldridge in that other article.

Fair play to Crouch. Let's be honest, what's not to like about watching us. Extraordinary mindset at our club and only gets more intense with the amount of shit that we have to tolerate
Was always ace being a blue back in the dark days, most of us have been there and seen it and the away crowd is pretty similar now as it was back in the late 80s - same faces. Fuck the media and their contrived biased agenda. We are so much better than anyone in the PL and one day we will get rhe credit that we deserve
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:01 pm

salford city wrote:
Bluemoon4610 wrote:

Fair play to Crouch. Let's be honest, what's not to like about watching us. Extraordinary mindset at our club and only gets more intense with the amount of shit that we have to tolerate
Was always ace being a blue back in the dark days, most of us have been there and seen it and the away crowd is pretty similar now as it was back in the late 80s - same faces. Fuck the media and their contrived biased agenda. We are so much better than anyone in the PL and one day we will get rhe credit that we deserve

100 % this
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby patrickblue » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:04 pm

sheblue wrote:

I don't even get annoyed with Aldridge any more, the shit he comes out with is so so bizarre you can't take it seriously.
Like a fanboy in a comments section.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Dimples » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:26 pm

patrickblue wrote:
sheblue wrote:

I don't even get annoyed with Aldridge any more, the shit he comes out with is so so bizarre you can't take it seriously.

I give him this, he knows his audience.
That article is written for an Irish newspaper where the readers will be 90% Dipper and Rag fans. With another 9% Arsenal, Leeds fans.
They will love reading that crap. Good for sales and Aldridge's retainer. Bitter cnut.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Outcast » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:03 pm

Dimples wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
sheblue wrote:

I give him this, he knows his audience.
That article is written for an Irish newspaper where the readers will be 90% Dipper and Rag fans. With another 9% Arsenal, Leeds fans.
They will love reading that crap. Good for sales and Aldridge's retainer. Bitter cnut.

I bet his grandparents are cross inbreds, I bet his parents are cross inbreds, I bet his kids are cross inbreds, I bet his dog cross breed. I stake my house the cunt is a cross inbred mixed up with vermin blood. An inbred interacting with his fellow inbreds, some serious interbreeding there.
Outcast

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:57 pm

Aldridge is the very worst dipper ‘pundit’ out there. I’d sooner listen to Mickey Owen commentate on City games for the next 2years than listen to one game with Aldridge.

I despise him with every fibre of my being
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby john68 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:46 am

Does anybody actually believe that the likes of stupid footballers write this shite?
I would think that a news outlet pays them a fee to tag their names onto a a number of columns to gain an audience from the sheeple they want to attract.
Thre ex player merely grabs the cash and complies....and the sheeple believe it.
We live in a nonsense celeb culture. and the sheeple lap it up
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby charvet_wonderland » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:50 am

charvet_wonderland
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester
My favourite player is: Leonard Shaun Goater

Postby Mase » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:00 am

Aldridge literally doesn’t know what country he’s from bless him. Give him a break guys, he’s quite clearly simple. No fun in taking the piss out of the simple ones.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby belleebee » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:38 am

charvet_wonderland wrote:Another “positive” one

Excellent article. Not overtly pro-City but clear and incisive analysis, setting out the facts that most so-called ‘journalists’ choose to ignore.
belleebee
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum