Football Media

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Football Media

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Wed May 05, 2021 6:32 pm

Just got this off the beeb, the rag v dipper game has been rearranged for May 13 leaving them with two games in fifty hours -

Thursday, 6 May (20:00 BST): Roma v Man Utd (Stadio Olimpico, Europa League semi-final second leg)
Sunday, 9 May (14:05 BST): Aston Villa v Man Utd (Villa Park, Premier League)
Tuesday, 11 May (18:00 BST): Man Utd v Leicester City (Old Trafford, Premier League)
Thursday, 13 May (20:15 BST): Man Utd v Liverpool (Old Trafford, Premier League)
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dameerto » Wed May 05, 2021 6:35 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:Just got this off the beeb, the rag v dipper game has been rearranged for May 13 leaving them with two games in fifty hours -

Thursday, 6 May (20:00 BST): Roma v Man Utd (Stadio Olimpico, Europa League semi-final second leg)
Tuesday, 11 May (18:00 BST): Man Utd v Leicester City (Old Trafford, Premier League)
Thursday, 13 May (20:15 BST): Man Utd v Liverpool (Old Trafford, Premier League)

Four games in a week! This should be in the laughing thread.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Wed May 05, 2021 6:42 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:Just got this off the beeb, the rag v dipper game has been rearranged for May 13 leaving them with two games in fifty hours -

Actually I did consider that :lol:
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Postby CTID Hants » Wed May 05, 2021 6:52 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

Actually I did consider that :lol:

Just a fucking shame they have an obscene advantage tomorrow night, they will play the kids and have decent subs, but no way Roma are scoring 5 and not conceding.

Equally they will drop points in the league games which will be nice but not the dippers game though
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Mase » Fri May 07, 2021 5:32 pm

Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 pm

Mase wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bang on though
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby carolina-blue » Sat May 08, 2021 12:14 pm

Manchester is Blue and I love it :lol: :lol: :lol:
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby CTID Hants » Sat May 08, 2021 12:43 pm

Mase wrote:

Yeah, not sure if anyone else watches the show 22:00 Thursday nights on Sky one.

Putting all the cockney accents to one side, it's fairly watchable if you've had a few beers.

Loved it when he had a rant about dipper and rag fans in London and Manchester being blue, I really hope the hammers Rob chelski of the 4th spot and Brenda robs them of the FA cup
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby branny » Sat May 08, 2021 1:02 pm

The Grealish link isn't going away. Now some media sources are linking us with Rice and Lewandowski. Can't see either happening. Hopefully Fern will do another year and spending £60m on a 32 year old seems a bit silly as we're not keeping Sergio.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby CTID Hants » Sat May 08, 2021 1:11 pm

branny wrote:The Grealish link isn't going away. Now some media sources are linking us with Rice and Lewandowski. Can't see either happening. Hopefully Fern will do another year and spending £60m on a 32 year old seems a bit silly as we're not keeping Sergio.

Unless it comes from a very reliable source (which is more and more unlikely, given the absolute silence within the club itself these last few years) I tend to ignore all the BS speculation in press, nothing but click bait, yet we all keep believing the shit, me included sometimes.

Take last summers search for a CB, we were linked with players all over the shop including positions we didn't get or need and were left to believe that Father Ruben was our 3rd or even 4th choice and Messi was nailed on arriving because he told Barca he was off.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Tue May 11, 2021 11:26 am

The rags are putting all round the media they are splashing the cash on Sancho, hmmm they always seem to do this type of thing when there is unrest among fans, or is that pure coincidence?

Manchester United 'want to wrap up a £77m deal for Jadon Sancho NOW as they look to get their big transfer target over the line before Euro 2020 starts'... after Edinson Cavani's contract U-turn ended their Erling Haaland and Harry Kane chase
Manchester United want to complete a £77m deal for Jadon Sancho quickly
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants the England star signed before Euro 2020 starts
United failed to sign the Dortmund winger last year after missing a deadline
Edinson Cavani's new deal means United are set to end their search for a striker
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Postby salford city » Tue May 11, 2021 12:38 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:The rags are putting all round the media they are splashing the cash on Sancho, hmmm they always seem to do this type of thing when there is unrest among fans, or is that pure coincidence?

Manchester United 'want to wrap up a £77m deal for Jadon Sancho NOW as they look to get their big transfer target over the line before Euro 2020 starts'... after Edinson Cavani's contract U-turn ended their Erling Haaland and Harry Kane chase
Edinson Cavani's new deal means United are set to end their search for a striker

According ti the Beeb, no longer a priority due to the emergence of his international (?) colleague greenwood. Fuck me, how many caps has the kid got. Still suppose he has one so it is technically accurate. Had some daft cnut telling me last night that ronaldo was also on his way back so silly season has started early
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby PeterParker » Tue May 11, 2021 12:43 pm

salford city wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:The rags are putting all round the media they are splashing the cash on Sancho, hmmm they always seem to do this type of thing when there is unrest among fans, or is that pure coincidence?

According ti the Beeb, no longer a priority due to the emergence of his international (?) colleague greenwood. Fuck me, how many caps has the kid got. Still suppose he has one so it is technically accurate. Had some daft cnut telling me last night that ronaldo was also on his way back so silly season has started early

Ronaldo might actually happen.
He left the field moaning and shouting after they lost on Sunday with Milan, 0-3, at home, at they might miss the Champions league.

To be honest, I would mind a sniff at him, if he is free. Not a priority at all, of course, but would love the meltdown.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Dimples » Tue May 11, 2021 2:21 pm

Same every year with the Rags. They are going to spend big and buy the best of the best.

Cavani, 34 and no transfer fee, has resigned so that means they are not going to buy Kane or Haaland :) :) :)
Let them have Sancho if they want him. He will fit right in. His attitude stinks. Him, Martial and Pogba are well suited.
The Rags don't need a Sancho. They need a creative midfielder to set up the chances for Bruno F and a center half with pace to compliment Slaphead.

If they get those I will be worried. That would bridge the gap on us and Chelsea.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby CTID Hants » Tue May 11, 2021 2:29 pm

Dimples wrote:Same every year with the Rags. They are going to spend big and buy the best of the best.

Cavani, 34 and no transfer fee, has resigned so that means they are not going to buy Kane or Haaland :) :) :)
Let them have Sancho if they want him. He will fit right in. His attitude stinks. Him, Martial and Pogba are well suited.
The Rags don't need a Sancho. They need a creative midfielder to set up the chances for Bruno F and a center half with pace to compliment Slaphead.

If they get those I will be worried. That would bridge the gap on us and Chelsea.

Said as much the other day when old piss can paid a visit to PSG in the Lowry......

Rag fans will assume he was there to tap up Neymar, Mbappe or Poch.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:10 pm

This sort of shite has been an attention and headline seeking strategy formany years.
Our own Peter Swales was a master of it. We would be interested in buying quite anumber of superstars, noneof which ever materialised.

The rags have also done this over many years. Often when they are not getting the headlines they crave for their sheep to feed off, they wil lname a random superstar to ensure the media story becomes about them.
Remember how long they kept their interest in Lewandowski, or the much publicised return of Tranaldo?

Tommy Docherty once admitted that if City werethebig story, he would think up something ridiculous and usually contraversial to say that would steal the back page. He aslo did it if the rags had lost or had a negative issue around them.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Scatman » Wed May 12, 2021 5:32 am

From this morning's Times, written by Paul Hirst:

Just before 8 o’clock every morning, a slim middle-aged man steps out of his apartment block in Salford, hops on his bike and begins his three-mile cycle to work.

The cyclist, decked out in Puma sports gear, crosses the bridge over the River Irwell, briskly pedals through the busy streets of Ancoats in Manchester city centre and jumps on the ring road before arriving at his place of work 20 minutes later.
Because of the helmet on his head and the mask that covers his face, the other commuters have no idea that the man they are sharing the cycle lanes of Manchester with is Pep Guardiola.

A couple of months ago, the Manchester City manager was becoming increasingly bored by lockdown. The golf courses around Manchester and Cheshire that he usually frequents were shut due to the pandemic, so Guardiola decided that he needed a new hobby.

He therefore invested in a road bike. The Nissan Leaf electric car which he used to drive to City’s training ground now mainly lies dormant in his garage.

The 50-year-old has taken to cycling so much that he has already started talking to his staff about organising a bike ride in the Peak District over the coming weeks.

Right now, the Pep Guardiola that turns up for work every day at the City Football Academy (CFA) is almost unrecognisable from the fidgety character who arrived in Manchester five years ago wondering whether he could conquer England. He is completely zen, and has every reason to be.

Last night City won the third Premier League title of his five-year reign after Manchester United lost to Leicester. They are already looking forward to their first Champions League final having knocked out Paris Saint-Germain 4-1 on aggregate in the semi-finals.
With the Carabao Cup already in the trophy cabinet at the Etihad Stadium, few would bet against City completing another treble this season, so no wonder Guardiola and his players were in a good mood last night as they celebrated.

It has not always been that way this season. Rewind eight months and the mood was much less optimistic at the CFA. Some players openly talked amongst themselves about this potentially being a “transition season.”

Three new players, Rúben Dias, Nathan Aké and Ferran Torres had arrived. David Silva, Nicolás Otamendi and Leroy Sané, who had 19 years’ Premier League experience behind them, had left.

One player admitted that by the time he reported for training in September, his anger about the tame nature of City’s Champions League exit to Lyons the previous month was still prevalent in his mind. So quick was the turnaround between seasons that City only had time for one intra-squad friendly.

To make matters worse, a Covid outbreak had hit the squad. Ilkay Gündogan suffered worse than any of his team-mates. The 30-year-old German was laid up in bed for almost a week, unable to move his aching limbs.

The uncertainty surrounding Guardiola’s future was casting a shadow over the CFA too. It was widely accepted among staff that this year would be Guardiola’s last. His contract was due to expire on June 30, 2021, and there had been no suggestion that he would extend his deal.

Then there were the Covid restrictions, which infuriated the Catalan. Guardiola understood the seriousness of the pandemic, but the rules placed upon him by the Premier League at the start of the season disrupted his management techniques and he did not like them one bit.

Because large groups of people were not allowed to gather together, Guardiola had to split his squad into three groups and speak to them separately prior to games, which effectively meant that he was giving three team talks. Players were only allowed 15 minutes’ treatment with physios, and at lunch time, only two people were allowed to sit at a table in the dining room.

The players also had to change for training in the individual bedrooms at the CFA which they used to use before match days.
Then, just before the Premier League season began, Guardiola was hit with a bolt from the blue from Iceland. Phil Foden, the jewel in City’s academy, had been thrown out of the England squad after he and Mason Greenwood, the Manchester United forward, broke Covid rules by inviting two women to the team hotel in Reykjavik. Foden, 20, was crestfallen. He had been so excited about making his international debut that on the morning of the Iceland game, he proudly took a picture of his England shirt laid out on his bed and sent it to his close friends and family. Now, he and Greenwood were heading home.

The media reaction to the episode was overwhelming for the young midfielder, but rather than castigate Foden, Guardiola put his arm around the player and assured him everything would be ok.

"At the time Pep was very personable with Phil about it and he really appreciated it,” one source said. Guardiola’s handling of the situation proved to be a masterstroke and is one of the reasons why Foden would enjoy such a stellar season.

Initially, it seemed any pre-season concerns were misplaced. In their first match of the campaign, City blitzed Wolverhampton Wanderers with a superb first half display. Foden and De Bruyne ran the game, Raheem Sterling looked sharp and Aké made an encouraging debut in a 3-1 win.

Two months later, however, City were 11th. There were murmurings of discontent within the squad. Some players felt others were being greedy with the ball. Riyad Mahrez was picked out as one of the main offenders.

A title tilt seemed out of the question, but that all changed in the third week of November for two key reasons.

That week ended with a chastening 2-0 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur. Guardiola dislikes losing, especially to José Mourinho, but this defeat proved to be the birth of the Dias-John Stones defensive partnership.

That day in north London, Guardiola was furious with Aymeric Laporte for following Harry Kane, rather than sticking with Heung-min Son, for Tottenham’s first goal. Guardiola felt he had to drop Laporte, and with Aké injured, Stones was given a chance and he took it with gusto.

The previous year had not been the easiest for Stones. The 26-year-old had been involved in a messy break-up with his long-term partner. Guardiola’s staff felt that they could not trust Stones to keep his concentration in games. City were willing to listen to offers for Stones last summer, but he decided to stay and the move has paid off for him and the club. His form has been revelatory.
He has resolved his personal problems and is in a settled relationship with his new partner. Lockdown gave Stones a chance to re-evaluate his life. Friends of the centre-back say he is in a better place mentally because he has routine in his life again and has started consulting a dietician about how to get in the best shape.

Stones hit it off immediately with Dias. In their first six matches together, City kept six clean sheets. City have conceded just seven goals in the 24 matches they have started together.

Dias was the third choice on City’s centre-back shortlist behind Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly and Seville’s Jules Koundé, but has proven an outstanding purchase. The 23-year-old has made a big impression on his team-mates, who were taken aback by his self-belief in the first training sessions that followed his £65 million transfer from Benfica.

The other key event in November that breathed life into City’s season was Guardiola’s decision to extend his contract until the summer of 2023.

The Maldives has been Guardiola’s holiday destination of choice during his five years in charge of City. In years gone by, when the international breaks have arrived he and his wife Cristina have jetted off to the Indian Ocean to spend time on one of the country’s many remote and idyllic islands.

Khaldoon Al Mubarak, the City chairman, knows the area well too because Mubadala, the Abu Dhabi sovereign wealth fund that he heads, built a stunning hotel on one of the islands just over a decade ago.

It was in this stunning location that Guardiola met Al Mubarak last Autumn. Both men’s families came along for the trip, which was not subject to quarantine rules, but Al Mubarak’s main motive was not pleasure, but business. He wanted to know if Guardiola wanted to carry on as City manager.

Earlier in the campaign, some City officials were so convinced that Guardiola would leave that they openly discussed who might succeed the Catalan. Mauricio Pochettino, then out of work, and Brendan Rodgers, the Leicester City manager, were seen as two strong candidates. Julian Nagelsmann, the 33-year-old in charge of RB Leipzig, was another under consideration.

But they would have to wait their turn. Guardiola decided to stay.

The role that Al Mubarak played in persuading Guardiola to extend should not be underplayed. The two have an excellent relationship. They are both intelligent quick-thinking individuals and Guardiola respects the fact that Al Mubarak is always at his beck and call.

A couple of months ago, for example, when Guardiola was becoming annoyed at the bobbly surface at the Etihad Stadium, he called Al Mubarak and within days the club had hired two turf consultancies to help the groundsman improve the pitch.
When Guardiola and his staff arrived in Manchester five years ago, he already knew director of football Txiki Begiristain and chief executive Ferran Soriano from their time together at Barcelona. They had never worked with Al Mubarak before, but the 46-year-old has exceeded their expectations.

“Pep came to Manchester for Txiki and Ferran, but stayed because of Khaldoon,” one source said.

The news that Guardiola had committed his future went down well with the players. A cloud of uncertainty had lifted.
It still took a while for City to click into gear, however. When City drew 1-1 against West Bromwich Albion on December 15, Guardiola was on the phone to Al Mubarak again, pouring his heart out.

His players were wasteful and not on the same wavelength. Defensively they looked vulnerable.

“Playing like this we are not going to win anything,” Guardiola told his chairman.

He aired the same worries in a meeting with his coaches straight after the final whistle. Those present remember Guardiola being very downbeat after the game “That’s not my team,” Guardiola said. “We have to discover our essence.”

Guardiola and his coaches decided that they should go back to basics, instruct their players to run less and play more straightforward passes.

The City manager made another change which he felt was key to his team’s revival. He agreed to wear a new grey hoodie under his coat for the away match against Southampton on December 19. The hoodie had been given to him by the Spanish NGO Open Arms, whose logo was stitched on to the front in big red lettering. Guardiola gave the charity, which rescues migrants off the south coast of Spain, a donation of around £130,000 in 2018.

With the hoodie hidden underneath his black coat, City defeated Southampton 1-0 thanks to an early goal from Sterling and Guardiola, a superstitious type, took it as a sign. He decided to wear the hoodie for every Premier League game. City won their next 14 and have only dropped six points in their last 22 matches, so one suspects the hoodie is here to stay.
Interestingly, he does not wear it for the cup competitions.

When spring arrived, City had pulled away from the pack. Gündogan, Foden, Bernardo Silva and Riyad Mahrez took their game to new levels.

But ask those in the know at City who were the key men behind that 21-match winning streak and they will point to two people who were having a considerable impact off the pitch

The first is Fernandinho. The 36-year-old Brazilian has developed a close bond with City and Manchester during his eight years in England — his children have Mancunian accents. He was incredibly proud to be voted captain by his team-mates at the start of the season. Delegation and togetherness are key themes of his captaincy style. Whenever he makes a decision on a matter, he consults the other members of the senior leadership group, which comprises the vice-captain De Bruyne, as well as Gündogan, Kyle Walker and Sterling. This means the other senior players feel involved.

Fernandinho, unlike his predecessor David Silva, is not afraid to call out his team-mates. This became clear on January 2 when he called a meeting after he felt that some players were not pulling their weight and were all too ready to hide behind the disruptions caused by the pandemic. No coaches were present. “We have to give everything,” Fernandinho yelled at his team-mates. “We are Manchester City. There are no excuses.”

Fernandinho speaks five languages (Portuguese, English, Ukrainian, Russian and Spanish) and the combative midfielder put his language skills into practice during a fiery Champions League group game against Porto, when he hurled insults at the Porto bench in Portuguese and then proceeded to shout at the Russian-speaking referee in his native tongue.

The second significant individual is Juanma Lillo, who became assistant manager last summer, filling a vacancy that had been left since Mikel Arteta’s departure to Arsenal in December 2019.

Guardiola has long been an admirer of Lillo, who is regarded as a deep thinker and tactical expert. Knowing that he wanted to go into management, Guardiola moved to Mexico at the end of his playing career to play for Lillo’s Dorados de Sinaloa team.
Lillo, 55, is a larger than life character who is at his happiest holding court in a bar or restaurant, recounting tales from the 17 clubs he has managed in five countries (Spain, Mexico, Colombia, Japan, and China). Sadly for him, this has not been possible for most of his year in England due to lockdown.

Being assistant to Guardiola is not an easy job. Guardiola can be volatile but Lillo has developed a knack of being able to calm him down and offer an alternative viewpoint that does not anger his boss.
“I think maybe you were wrong here,” the diminutive, grey-haired man will sometimes say in a soft tone.

Lillo speaks little English but that is not regarded as a problem given the multicultural makeup of the squad and backroom staff. He is described by staffers at the CFA as “the manager of the manager.”
“Lillo is one of the reasons that Pep signed his extension,” a senior City source said.

Guardiola respects Lillo’s views and his loyalty. In January, Lillo was offered the Chile manager’s position, but he turned it down as he felt he could not leave midway through the season.

Lillo has played a significant role in Joao Cancelo’s development. Guardiola had high expectations of Cancelo when he joined in the summer of 2019 from Juventus, but the Portuguese full-back had a difficult start. He was shy, struggled to learn English and did not take kindly to playing second fiddle to Walker.

When Lillo arrived, he took a shine to Cancelo and tutored him about how to become the playmaker full-back that Guardiola wanted him to be. Cancelo became a fan of Lillo’s methods and the two developed a close bond. Cancelo understands Lillo as he speaks Spanish.

Cancelo is described by one staff member as “all heart” because of his commitment to the team. This season he has done everything asked of him by Guardiola. When Foden attacks down the left wing, you will often see Cancelo tucking into central midfield, often operating as a quasi-number ten. It is a tactic first adopted by Guardiola at Bayern Munich, when Rafinha, and David Alaba played as inverted full-backs. Cancelo has five assists this season, which is more than Benjamin Mendy and Oleksandr Zinchenko managed between them last year in 55 appearances.

How they shared the goal threat

In the previous two title wins under Guardiola, individual attacking players have stood out. Kevin De Bruyne’s majestic performances drove City to 100 points in 2017-18. The following year, Sterling’s 17 goals and 12 assists proved critical to City’s title triumph.

This season it has been more of a collective effort. The goals have been fewer in number and they have been shared around the squad. Nineteen players have scored this season and 16 have recorded assists.

The drop in goals is staggering. City averaged 2.1 goals per game this season, which is far less than their average of 2.7 last year. Sergio Agüero and Gabriel Jesus have either been either injured or out of favour so the onus has fallen on the false nines and the midfielders. Nobody has done that better than Gündogan, who is City’s top scorer with 16 goals.

The German midfielder came into his own at the turn of the year, scoring eight times in 11 games. It is no coincidence that Gündogan’s goal glut began shortly after Christmas when Guardiola told his players involved in the second line of attack — the central midfielders and the full-backs — to get into the area more often. Gündogan is one of the most intelligent players in the squad. He absorbed that information and followed Guardiola’s demands. Gundogan has also thrived in his role as part of the leadership team. “Ilkay is a general but he plays like a soldier,” one source said.

Knowing that City’s goal will be protected by Dias, Stones, Ederson and the vastly improved Rodri has given Gundogan more confidence to venture further upfield. This season, 35 percent of his passes have come in the final third, which is five per cent more than last year.

This has been a breakthrough season for Foden, too. He had been expected to fill the void left by David Silva, but instead found his feet on the left wing.

Foden was placed there because Guardiola considers him a goal threat who is less likely to give the ball away than his rivals for the position.

Sterling did himself no favours in March by asking Guardiola why he was dropped — and others were not — for the Southampton game, which came three days after the 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford. Guardiola did not like what Sterling had said and left him out of the squad for the 3-0 away win over Fulham the following weekend. It should be noted that some staff felt Sterling was also in need of a rest. By that point of the season, only Ederson, Dias and Rodri had played more minutes than the England winger.
Staff have been impressed by Foden’s drive. He volunteered for double sessions earlier in the season and is keen to do everything he can to make himself in top condition for a match. The night before the first leg of the Champions League semi-final against Paris Saint-Germain, he set up his own ice bath in his hotel room to ease the pain from his tired muscles.

De Bruyne has not gained the same recognition from outside the club as he did last season, when he won the PFA Player of the Year, but staff have been very impressed by his performances and his leadership. If Fernandinho leaves this summer, De Bruyne is almost certain to be voted as the new captain, with Walker a leading candidate to become vice-captain.

De Bruyne, 29, has created 17 of what the Premier League describes as “big chances” this season. With 19 big chances created, only Bruno Fernandes stands above him in the rankings and he has started ten more games than the Belgian.

The only hiccup in De Bruyne’s season was a hamstring injury in January that kept him out for seven matches, but City’s vice-captain used his time out to reconvene contract talks with Begiristain and Soriano. De Bruyne, who was representing himself, was angry at the club after they tabled an unacceptable first offer, but the two sides came to an agreement and he signed on until the summer of 2025.

De Bruyne’s main demand during talks was that he should become the Premier League’s top earner as he felt he was the best player in the league. Few can doubt that is the case after another outstanding season. He has provided a steady drip of goals and assists and stepped up in some of the biggest games like the win at Stamford Bridge and in both legs of the Champions League quarter-final against Borussia Dortmund.

The most worrying thing for City’s rivals is that some senior players do not think this team has yet reached its peak. They argue that the 1-0 and 2-0 wins this season would have turned into fours and fives if an established number nine had been leading the attack. It is a view shared by the club’s hierarchy, who want to sign a striker in order to give Guardiola another weapon to use in attack.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby salford city » Wed May 12, 2021 6:01 am

We are Manchester City there are no excuses
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 12, 2021 6:22 am

^^^^^^^^^
Scatman. Excellent read, thanks for posting that. Can't get enough of articles like this
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Paul68 » Wed May 12, 2021 6:23 am

Spit claiming he said at start of season that if dias didn't work it would be the "end of city" :lol:
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... n-and-more
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum