Football Media

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Football Media

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:26 pm

zuricity wrote:
Bluemoon4610 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:True, so is Bob geldof and he's a "sir".

What a load of bollox the whole thing is anyway

Bob's was an honorary knighthood, so technically not a Sir.

The thing i don't get is , people like Bob were rebellious, tried to force change after pop career was over , charity work .

Why tf would you accept some reward from a bunch of hangers on like the Royal Family ? an institution that is way past it's sell by date ? Just say no .
Remind me how much the Swiss head of state gets paid
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Original Dub » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:46 pm

Bluemoon4610 wrote:

Fuck me, always thought he was Sir Bob Geldof.

Anyway, I've no idea about all this stuff, so there's that!
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby zuricity » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:01 am

johnny crossan wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Bluemoon4610 wrote:

The thing i don't get is , people like Bob were rebellious, tried to force change after pop career was over , charity work .

Why tf would you accept some reward from a bunch of hangers on like the Royal Family ? an institution that is way past it's sell by date ? Just say no .

what does that have to do with the price of fish and chips ??

The Swiss have no head of state , each year someone from the seven membered Federal Council is chosen as 'President' for the year . This year it is turn of Sommaruga
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby patrickblue » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:51 am

zuricity wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Bluemoon4610 wrote:

The Swiss have no head of state , each year someone from the seven membered Federal Council is chosen as 'President' for the year . This year it is turn of Sommaruga

He's disputing your assertion that the royal family are an institution that is way past it's sell by date. One of the usual criticisms is the amount of money they cost, hence the question. The other big criticism is that they are unelected.
As far as I'm concerned, the present queen has been an exemplary head of state for the last seventy years, and in my view has been value for money.
I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a royalist, but I don't believe an elected head of state would be anywhere near as effective, or any cheaper.
Credit where it's due.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby zuricity » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:27 pm

patrickblue wrote:
zuricity wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Bluemoon4610 wrote:Bob's was an honorary knighthood, so technically not a Sir.

He's disputing your assertion that the royal family are an institution that is way past it's sell by date. One of the usual criticisms is the amount of money they cost, hence the question. The other big criticism is that they are unelected.
As far as I'm concerned, the present queen has been an exemplary head of state for the last seventy years, and in my view has been value for money.
I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a royalist, but I don't believe an elected head of state would be anywhere near as effective, or any cheaper.
Credit where it's due.

oh really ??

"Remind me how much the Swiss head of state gets paid "

Doesn't read like it is a Royal Family being out of date dispute .
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mase » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:16 pm

A Manchester City fan who ran onto the pitch and taunted Aston Villa keeper Robin Olsen on the final day of the season at Etihad Stadium has received a four-year football banning order.

Taunting?? Looks like the guy just ran on the pitch celebrating :lol: Talk about being. Made a scapegoat.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:35 pm

zuricity wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
zuricity wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Credit where it's due.

oh really ??
Doesn't read like it is a Royal Family being out of date dispute .
I'll remind you then:
"The President of Switzerland earns $482,958 per annum – more than any other head of government in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. The OECD is an intergovernmental economic organisation of the 36 highest income economies that are also dedicated to setting transparency standards for governments of global democracies." Essentially the Swiss president does nothing for his huge salary while in contrast the British royal family earns many times the amount needed to maintain its role and estates just in tourism alone quite aside from its constitutional duties.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Simister » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:59 pm

Mase wrote:A Manchester City fan who ran onto the pitch and taunted Aston Villa keeper Robin Olsen on the final day of the season at Etihad Stadium has received a four-year football banning order.

Taunting?? Looks like the guy just ran on the pitch celebrating :lol: Talk about being. Made a scapegoat.

He’s started his own thread on BlueMoan. Seems like a genuine bloke who’s been shafted because he didn’t hire a brief.
Simister
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: SWP

Postby Mase » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:21 pm

Simister wrote:
Mase wrote:A Manchester City fan who ran onto the pitch and taunted Aston Villa keeper Robin Olsen on the final day of the season at Etihad Stadium has received a four-year football banning order.

He’s started his own thread on BlueMoan. Seems like a genuine bloke who’s been shafted because he didn’t hire a brief.

Ah yeah, sounds like they’ve made an example of him if he’s not hired a solicitor. From the video he just runs on after the third goal and celebrates and gets taken away.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:29 pm

Mase wrote:
Simister wrote:

Ah yeah, sounds like they’ve made an example of him if he’s not hired a solicitor. From the video he just runs on after the third goal and celebrates and gets taken away.
probably said "no comment" :lol:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:33 pm

Banned Roan currently giving the Saudi tour golfers a good Sportswashing on the BBC pleasing his US sponsors.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dimples » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:50 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Bluemoon4610 wrote:

Bob 'the Gob' Geldof.
Huge ego, massive attention seeker, loves the sound of his own voice and lecturing everyone on what they should do.
Exceptional at making money, compensation for being as ugly as sin.
Total fraud, 'punk rocker' and social rebel, :roll: who attended one of the most prestigious fee paying schools in Dublin, Black rock College.
Wanker supreme.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:13 am

Have managed to get an extra £34M for Dortmund. I thought we only paid the release clause of £51M. Sky reporting the deal as £85M

Straws, Sky. Keep clutching
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby salford city » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:37 am

nottsblue wrote:Have managed to get an extra £34M for Dortmund. I thought we only paid the release clause of £51M. Sky reporting the deal as £85M

Straws, Sky. Keep clutching

I saw something on rhe beeb earlier where they were trying to force the Nunez price up over 90M to get him in the top 6 on Sly graphic. Now seeing them report Haaland at over 300M as a package good stuff - keep it coming
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:56 pm

Dimples wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Bluemoon4610 wrote:

Bob 'the Gob' Geldof.
Huge ego, massive attention seeker, loves the sound of his own voice and lecturing everyone on what they should do.
Exceptional at making money, compensation for being as ugly as sin.
Total fraud, 'punk rocker' and social rebel, :roll: who attended one of the most prestigious fee paying schools in Dublin, Black rock College.
Wanker supreme.

Honorary knighthood for services to eloquence in the English language.

Persuasive phrases like "give us yer fuckin money " had not been heard since Dick Turpin pounded the roads around York
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:12 pm

zuricity wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Credit where it's due.[/quote]
oh really ??
Doesn't read like it is a Royal Family being out of date dispute .[/quote] I'll remind you then:
"The President of Switzerland earns $482,958 per annum – more than any other head of government in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. The OECD is an intergovernmental economic organisation of the 36 highest income economies that are also dedicated to setting transparency standards for governments of global democracies." Essentially the Swiss president does nothing for his huge salary while in contrast the British royal family earns many times the amount needed to maintain its role and estates just in tourism alone quite aside from its constitutional duties.[/quote]

Again, what has that got to do with anything. I have told you it is a one year term and weirdly as it sounds , everybody in government in Switzerland gets paid an income.

The president may become president again , some years later but so what ? it is an actual job not something nebulous like the Royal family , who haven't been voted in . The current President is a member of the seven and does not get paid twice whilst President , next year she becomes another member of the council - at Council rates (ooh remember those before Thatcher ?).

There has to be a president like in all countries. Hangers on are not needed.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby belleebee » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:35 pm

zuricity wrote:
zuricity wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Credit where it's due.

oh really ??
Doesn't read like it is a Royal Family being out of date dispute .[/quote] I'll remind you then:
"The President of Switzerland earns $482,958 per annum – more than any other head of government in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. The OECD is an intergovernmental economic organisation of the 36 highest income economies that are also dedicated to setting transparency standards for governments of global democracies." Essentially the Swiss president does nothing for his huge salary while in contrast the British royal family earns many times the amount needed to maintain its role and estates just in tourism alone quite aside from its constitutional duties.[/quote]

Again, what has that got to do with anything. I have told you it is a one year term and weirdly as it sounds , everybody in government in Switzerland gets paid an income.

The president may become president again , some years later but so what ? it is an actual job not something nebulous like the Royal family , who haven't been voted in . The current President is a member of the seven and does not get paid twice whilst President , next year she becomes another member of the council - at Council rates (ooh remember those before Thatcher ?).

There has to be a president like in all countries. Hangers on are not needed.[/quote]

Might I suggest you write to our esteemed owner to apprise him of your view? ;). Also, Switzerland is possibly not the best example to use as a model of democratic principles as it's only 51 years since women were given the vote there! Beyond flippancy, I think one's got to be pragmatic sometimes. Monarchy is clearly an anachronism and extremely difficult to justify on any sound constitutional grounds. Even so, despite being a lifelong (democratic) socialist, I'm comfortable with it as it seems to work for the UK and supported (I think) by a large majority of the British public. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
belleebee
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:58 pm

^^^,

Britain wasn't exactly light years ahead giving women the vote either .

As it stands , every vote in Switzerland counts.

Fixing polling boundaries as in the UK and having so many peoples votes deemed worthless because they live in the wrong voting zone is not democratic . ( Neither so in the US ).

The Swiss male or female has a vote that matters.

And all of this is totally irrelevant to Royalty.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:59 pm

zuricity wrote:^^^,

Which owner ??

Fixing polling boundaries as in the UK and having so many peoples votes deemed worthless because they live in the wrong voting zone is not democratic . ( Neither so in the US ).

zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:12 pm

zuricity wrote:^^^,

oh and don't forget there were members of parliament from places in the south of england with no constituents before manchester was represented in Parliament ( Peterloo) . How far back is enough ? 51 . 100 years ?
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum