' Not clear if Ed will continue'

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ' Not clear if Ed will continue'

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Hell, at this point Id try to sell Bony before selling Dzeko

Saul, you're absolutely correct! Until Bony & Sterling start scoring and assisting consistently, we shouldn't be selling Dzeko, at any price!

Yes, I do have great faith that Bony, Sterling, Delph, Iheanacho, etc, can each replace a single player, eventually... But, each player shouldn't be expected to replace the goals of 3 players, immediately! The same applies to De Bruyne, Pogba, or any other player that might still be added.

City now needs to replace all the goals from Dzeko, Negredo, Milner, and yes, even Jovetic's goals! During City's double-winning season, Nasri, Navas, Kompany, Kolarov, Lescott, Richards, Fernandinho & Zabaleta, all contributed occasional goals. Last season, City had far fewer goalscorers, overall.

The team needs to get every player scoring or assisting again... and City should be keeping Dzeko, as part of that objective. If Scott Sinclair scored a hat-trick for Aston Villa today, surely City should be keeping Edin Dzeko?!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby blues2win » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Di Marzio says there's confidence and optimism on both sides that Roma and City will agree a deal for Dzeko.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:12 pm

I think a deal has now been agreed for £15m. It's just the timing of the payments that needs sorting. I will be sorry to see him go but he is 29 and still has four years (?) left on his contract with us, so it's probably a good time for us to move him on.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby PrezIke » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:39 pm

Can't really understand this reasoning. What, because he scored a late goal and Bony didn't play well? I'm sure that isn't it, but why then?

Bony looked good for us even if he didn't score much last season. Dzeko is far too inconsistent and doesn't help us much, other than with his size in defending set pieces, unless he scores regularly, which was not happening. At least Bony contributes in more areas and has shown to be a more consistent player, who is younger and can mesh better with what we are trying to do now.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:20 pm

PrezIke wrote:

Can't really understand this reasoning. What, because he scored a late goal and Bony didn't play well? I'm sure that isn't it, but why then?

Bony looked good for us even if he didn't score much last season. Dzeko is far too inconsistent and doesn't help us much, other than with his size in defending set pieces, unless he scores regularly, which was not happening. At least Bony contributes in more areas and has shown to be a more consistent player, who is younger and can mesh better with what we are trying to do now.

Prez Ike: You seemed to have forgotten that Wilf Bony was meant to replace Alvaro Negredo, NOT Edin Džeko, or Stevan Jovetic! Bony & Negredo play a similar style, but Bony should not be expected to replace 3 different players, including Džeko! When Džeko was subbed on in the last 2 matches, he replaced David Silva in one and Jesus Navas in the other! Džeko then tried to create one assist after another, for Iheanacho, Lopes, Sterling, etc. Edin is a truly unselfish player, most of the time.

Yes, Wilf could turn out to be a top scorer for City... but that hasn't happened yet... So until we have 2-3 guaranteed new goalscorers, especially one with height, Dzeko is still very much needed for experience and proven goalscoring!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Saul Goodman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:34 am

PrezIke wrote:

Nothing to do with Dzeko scoring vs Stuttgart and Bony not.
Moreso to do with Bony showing no signs of being the quality of player we need. Yes, its only been since Jan and he was at the ACON but even though he scored twice for us last season I still thought he never played that well. Just my opinion. Im worried that he was a medium fish in a small pond at Swansea and now hes a small fish in a large pond at City. I hope im wrong.

As for Dzeko, we all know his first touch is infuriating and his effort/desire can be lacking at times but when given games hes scored well for us over his City career.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:59 am

Saul Goodman wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

Moreso to do with Bony showing no signs of being the quality of player we need. Yes, its only been since Jan and he was at the ACON but even though he scored twice for us last season I still thought he never played that well. Just my opinion. Im worried that he was a medium fish in a small pond at Swansea and now hes a small fish in a large pond at City. I hope im wrong.

As for Dzeko, we all know his first touch is infuriating and his effort/desire can be lacking at times but when given games hes scored well for us over his City career.

Edin has been badly used in the last 12/18 months, on top of which his defensive headers are an area City will be more vulnerable than they are now if that is possible, great scoring record will be a hit anywhere with the right service. He with Yaya won us the league, just hitting his prime, pity we seem to have him gone. On another note, if Pep is on his way he needs a full defence overhaul, pretty sure he knows that though.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby JamieMCFC » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:06 am

Saul Goodman wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

He has scored but the majority of those goals have come when we are already winning.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Cit.revenge » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:24 am

The deal is done because Edin ask for it. Hes seat on bench to long last season. All in all, thank you Edin for some great moment's.
Watch on youtube.com
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:32 am

JamieMCFC wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

He has scored but the majority of those goals have come when we are already winning.

Without even looking I can tell that isn't true.

When he has scored he's had a tendency to score the opening goal of a match. I think if he had a run of scoring inconsequential goals they probably came from the time he was turning into a bit of a super sub.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby sheblue » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:37 pm

looks like its done now, so long Ed.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:45 pm

sheblue wrote:looks like its done now, so long Ed.

Yep, £14 milliion. Thanks Edin.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby City64 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:00 pm

£14 million FFS !!! We are giving him away ! Can't help but feel we are being had over again in the transfer market . Dzeko should have a value nearer £20 million surely ????
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Blue Blood » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:14 pm

City64 wrote:£14 million FFS !!! We are giving him away ! Can't help but feel we are being had over again in the transfer market . Dzeko should have a value nearer £20 million surely ????

Come on now... £14 million plus add-ons and we are pretty much there.

I think we've struck a good deal, much like Negredo the time was right to sell, after all at 29 his value is only going to decline from here.

Ta ra Edin, thanks for the goals (plenty of them too) but not so much the janky first touches (also plenty of them).

All the best.
Blue Blood

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby City64 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:16 pm

Blue Blood wrote:
City64 wrote:£14 million FFS !!! We are giving him away ! Can't help but feel we are being had over again in the transfer market . Dzeko should have a value nearer £20 million surely ????

Come on now... £14 million plus add-ons and we are pretty much there.

I think we've struck a good deal, much like Negredo the time was right to sell, after all at 29 his value is only going to decline from here.

Ta ra Edin, thanks for the goals (plenty of them too) but not so much the janky first touches (also plenty of them).

All the best.

He is worth more than £14 million in today's market for sure !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:21 pm

I think it's 23 million euros counting add ons. Di Marzio says the deal is done. I'd expect a medical before the end of the week. Hopefully we can now concentrate on De Bruyne.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:32 pm

From the way we continually get shafted in the window I think it's clear how desperate we are to offload.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby City64 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:37 pm

london blue 2 wrote:From the way we continually get shafted in the window I think it's clear how desperate we are to offload.

+1
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blue Blood » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:41 pm

london blue 2 wrote:From the way we continually get shafted in the window I think it's clear how desperate we are to offload.

Shafted? I'm not sure how we've been shafted over Dzeko... let's be honest here, we've already seen Edins best years, we've had the benefit of them... and 23 million euros for a 29 year old really isn't bad, especially when I'd imagine most wouldn't even put him close to our starting eleven these days.... hell i'd put Kelechi in ahead of him as it stands.

It's a good deal for all involved in my books.
Blue Blood

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby blues2win » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Bottom line there wasn't a queue for him. He lacks pace and his technique isn't great let's face it. If he stayed he'd be third in the pecking order beginsd Sergio and Bony and he would never have accepted it. I think it's the right decision. One thing we might miss is his defensive headers; we've quite a few small uns now. We didn't deliver enough high crosses to benefit from his heading ability further forward. Let's get on now and back up the Chairman's confident talk. At least one big signing needed before the end of August.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum