The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:10 pm

PeterParker wrote:Sadly, beyond all of this, we all need to be fair and be well aware that the only reason we are top now is because Pogda did not play in the derby.










































































:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D


Tut, tut.....you are a mischievous little so-and-so PP :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7829
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Lost in the variations of the King's Gambit
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby Dimples » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:52 am

Neville's question in Oct/Nov can City play in the cold in December when the matches are coming thick and fast?

You directed the question at the wrong club you twat. :lol:
User avatar
Dimples
Horlock's Aggressive Walk
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:05 am
Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby Justified logic » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:01 am

Red scousers everywhere have convinced themselves that Vigil van Dijk will win them everything. :lol:
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp
 
Posts: 3033
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:40 pm
Location: Playing in the hole
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:54 am

Justified logic wrote:Red scousers everywhere have convinced themselves that Vigil van Dijk will win them everything. :lol:


That's the perfect name for them, will be a record shirt seller right there.
User avatar
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain
 
Posts: 28814
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:58 pm
Location: Sale
Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:12 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Justified logic wrote:Red scousers everywhere have convinced themselves that Vigil van Dijk will win them everything. :lol:


That's the perfect name for them, will be a record shirt seller right there.


Made me splutter in my breakfast tea :D :D :D
User avatar
Hutch's Shoulder
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 am
Location: Wild country near Glossop
Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Justified logic wrote:Red scousers everywhere have convinced themselves that Vigil van Dijk will win them everything. :lol:


That's the perfect name for them, will be a record shirt seller right there.


Made me splutter in my breakfast tea :D :D :D


breakfast tea!? lazy bastard!!
GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal
 
Posts: 11467
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: mike mason liam lingo

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:37 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Justified logic wrote:Red scousers everywhere have convinced themselves that Vigil van Dijk will win them everything. :lol:


That's the perfect name for them, will be a record shirt seller right there.


Made me splutter in my breakfast tea :D :D :D


breakfast tea!? lazy bastard!!


Back to bed soon....
User avatar
Hutch's Shoulder
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 am
Location: Wild country near Glossop
Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby patrickblue » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Justified logic wrote:Red scousers everywhere have convinced themselves that Vigil van Dijk will win them everything. :lol:


2018 will be their year.








































Again.
We shall not flag or fail.
We shall go on to the end.
We shall never surrender!
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4531
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:49 pm
Location: Newbury Berks
Supporter of: City

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:27 pm

History, I like this piece about history

History? ..in the early 1900's when City got stitched up by the FA and forced to sell their players, we let United have them on the cheap in a Manchester v London allegiance. In the 1930's City gave them kit to play in when United couldn't afford there own & helped them avoid bankruptcy. In the 1940's City lent them our ground so they could full-fill fixtures after the war. In the 1950's we lent them our ground (with floodlights) again so they could compete in Europe.. In 1958 after the tragic Munich air disaster City gave them players which helped them full-fill fixtures again (and reach the cup-final).
What did United do to show their gratitude for all these kind & constant neighbourly gestures spread over the previous 60 years? They had a purple patch & fans tormented City fans season after season on a weekly basis when City had a poor run of form. Even the Club itself joined in, to the extent of allowing a banner to be displayed at their ground that ticked over year by year to celebrate the 35 years City had gone without a major trophy..
By the way .. I have never ever read reports of City displaying a banner at Hyde Road or Maine Road from 1911 to 1948 in the 37 years United went without a trophy?? I love history and i'm so grateful that social media wasn't around in the nineties..
Every dog has his day. So when some deluded, arrogant tosser like this pops-up you can be sure as eggs are eggs that I will laugh my bollo@k's off!! You reap what you sow Rags (borrowed kit - remember?) He who laughs last laughs longest
Credit Gareth Thomas
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Roberto Mancini's Scarf
 
Posts: 20432
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:51 am
Location: Paradise
Supporter of: Man City

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Justified logic wrote:Red scousers everywhere have convinced themselves that Vigil van Dijk will win them everything. :lol:


That's the perfect name for them, will be a record shirt seller right there.


With regard to the Dippers (or should that be Diapers) and the way that Klipperty and the media wax lyrical over their allegedly fantastic support, especially the revered and much loved (uugghh) 'Kop', I've just found out that, in Polish, the noun 'kop' - and a number of derivatives from it - all relate to a kick of some sorts.

The word 'kop' itself is the kicking or thrusting of a leg when swimming, for example and one more instance of it is inserted in the word 'Kopnij' which, before Carl swoops on this and claims it's something related to poor old Nige, means 'kick it'.

On that basis, every time someone now refers to the legendary (Spion) Kop, I'll be quietly chuckling away to myself at the thought of the gathered, inbred multitudes, crammed into their crumbling little terrace area, being no more than a bunch of kickers (much like the football they watch there).......because, at the end of the day, I'm just shallow and superficial like that :roll: :roll: :roll:
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals
 
Posts: 7829
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Lost in the variations of the King's Gambit
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby failsworthblue » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:53 pm

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby AG7 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:30 pm

Long live this thread :D

That’s three draws on the trot now after that Bristol City loss? ... And Everton away coming the day after tomorrow ... :D :D :D
User avatar
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles
 
Posts: 2518
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:48 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Agueroooooo!

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:46 pm

Just turned MotD on and no sign of them in the first 2 games. Anybody remember when they were first up by default?

Edit: game 3 and they're still not on!

Edit 2: game 4 and I think I got it wrong, they mustn't have played today!

Edit 3: feck me, they did play! Wonder what the score was!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
User avatar
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision
 
Posts: 33391
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:14 am
Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby john68 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:01 am

Just to add to that list Carl...
In the 1920s, therewas a 3rd Manchester team founded...Manchester Central FC (MCFC).
They played at Belle Vue in the Football Combination League.
They applied to join the League and were eventually allowed in by default to replace a failed club from Wigan.
They were non league but getting larger crowds than the rags and the rags panicked for their future when the decision was made to allow them into the Football league.
On their behalf, City took the Football League chairman (also Chair of Liverpool FC) for a meal.
Immediately after that meal, I believe on the steps of the Midland Hotel, an announcement was made that Manchester Central were not being allowed to replace the failed Wigan club.
Also in the early 1920s, City,s crowds were far too big to be housed in the Hyde Road Ground. City made the plan to build Maine Road (opened in 1923) but wanted a larger temporary venue until Maine Road was built.
Enquiries were made at various venues, including Belle Vue and the swamp. A rent at the swamp was agreed should City wish to take up the option.

Shortly after, the main stand at Hyde Road was burnt down, offices, changing rooms etc. When City enquired about temporary usage of the swamp, the rags tried to stitch City up by putting the price up. City rejected the higher rent and a wooden stand was built.

The former, another part of local football history where City saved the rags from possible extinction.
The latter, another occasion when the rags repaid City's generosity with greed and insult.

PS...Just after the turn of the 1900s, the rags were so poor they held a jumble sale to raise funds. The City board, management and players attended the sale and generously donated to the rag cause.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
1936-37..........P 25.....W 10.....D 8.....L 7..........F 51 - A 41.....GD (10).....38Pts..........City 3-1 Portsmouth
1967-68..........P 25.....W 14.....D 5.....L7..........F 55 - A 31.....GD (24).....46Pts..........City 3-0 Nottingham Forest
2011-2012..........P 25.....W19.....D 3.....L 3.....F 64 - A 19.....GD (45).....60Pts..........Aston Villa 0-1 City
2013-2014..........P 25.....W 17.....D 3.....L 5.....F 68 - A 27.....GD (41).....54Pts..........Norwich City 0-0 City
2017-18.....P 24.....W 21.....D 2.....L 1.....F 70 - A 18.....GD (52).....65Pts..........Next.....City v West Bromich Albion (H).
User avatar
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure
 
Posts: 14014
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:47 pm
Location: Sittin' on the dock of the bay...wastin' time.
Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby john@staustell » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:52 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Justified logic wrote:Red scousers everywhere have convinced themselves that Vigil van Dijk will win them everything. :lol:


That's the perfect name for them, will be a record shirt seller right there.


With regard to the Dippers (or should that be Diapers) and the way that Klipperty and the media wax lyrical over their allegedly fantastic support, especially the revered and much loved (uugghh) 'Kop', I've just found out that, in Polish, the noun 'kop' - and a number of derivatives from it - all relate to a kick of some sorts.

The word 'kop' itself is the kicking or thrusting of a leg when swimming, for example and one more instance of it is inserted in the word 'Kopnij' which, before Carl swoops on this and claims it's something related to poor old Nige, means 'kick it'.

On that basis, every time someone now refers to the legendary (Spion) Kop, I'll be quietly chuckling away to myself at the thought of the gathered, inbred multitudes, crammed into their crumbling little terrace area, being no more than a bunch of kickers (much like the football they watch there).......because, at the end of the day, I'm just shallow and superficial like that :roll: :roll: :roll:


I dont know mate, but surely its a Boer or Kaffir word and is named after a particularly catastrophic cock up in the South African War.

There were loads of Spion Kops in early grounds.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
User avatar
john@staustell
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent
 
Posts: 13794
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:35 am
Location: St Austell
Supporter of: City

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:44 am

john@staustell wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Justified logic wrote:Red scousers everywhere have convinced themselves that Vigil van Dijk will win them everything. :lol:


That's the perfect name for them, will be a record shirt seller right there.


With regard to the Dippers (or should that be Diapers) and the way that Klipperty and the media wax lyrical over their allegedly fantastic support, especially the revered and much loved (uugghh) 'Kop', I've just found out that, in Polish, the noun 'kop' - and a number of derivatives from it - all relate to a kick of some sorts.

The word 'kop' itself is the kicking or thrusting of a leg when swimming, for example and one more instance of it is inserted in the word 'Kopnij' which, before Carl swoops on this and claims it's something related to poor old Nige, means 'kick it'.

On that basis, every time someone now refers to the legendary (Spion) Kop, I'll be quietly chuckling away to myself at the thought of the gathered, inbred multitudes, crammed into their crumbling little terrace area, being no more than a bunch of kickers (much like the football they watch there).......because, at the end of the day, I'm just shallow and superficial like that :roll: :roll: :roll:


I dont know mate, but surely its a Boer or Kaffir word and is named after a particularly catastrophic cock up in the South African War.

There were loads of Spion Kops in early grounds.


'Kop' means 'hill' in Afrikaans. The name is an Anglicization of Afrikaans for 'spy/spyglass hill', I think. I always assumed that kops were so named to commemorate/memorialize the battle, but it seems (according to Wikipedia, at least) that it was a light-hearted take on the look of the embankments themselves, due to fans on a single-tier embankment looking like soldiers amassed on the hill.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
User avatar
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8702
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:43 pm
Location: Sarajevo, BiH
Supporter of: Team Bridge

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:52 am

john68 wrote:In the 1920s, therewas a 3rd Manchester team founded...Manchester Central FC (MCFC).
They played at Belle Vue in the Football Combination League.
They applied to join the League and were eventually allowed in by default to replace a failed club from Wigan.
They were non league but getting larger crowds than the rags and the rags panicked for their future when the decision was made to allow them into the Football league.
On their behalf, City took the Football League chairman (also Chair of Liverpool FC) for a meal.
Immediately after that meal, I believe on the steps of the Midland Hotel, an announcement was made that Manchester Central were not being allowed to replace the failed Wigan club.

Not too long ago, I heard the same story told from a different perspective. In that version, although it was the Rags who made the 'official' complaint, it was a 50:50 collusion between the two clubs to keep Manchester Central out of the league. The Rags took 90% of the flak for it, though, while animosity towards us faded pretty quickly.
Looking at their league positions and short-lived history, there seems to be little justification for their promotion to the League from a modern-day perspective. They were essentially a mid-table club, and the only justification for their acceptance would have been geographic location - more like US franchises than the pyramid system we're accustomed to in the modern era. I bet there must have been dodgy deals going on all over the place in order to earn League admission.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
User avatar
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8702
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:43 pm
Location: Sarajevo, BiH
Supporter of: Team Bridge

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby john@staustell » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:32 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Justified logic wrote:Red scousers everywhere have convinced themselves that Vigil van Dijk will win them everything. :lol:


That's the perfect name for them, will be a record shirt seller right there.


With regard to the Dippers (or should that be Diapers) and the way that Klipperty and the media wax lyrical over their allegedly fantastic support, especially the revered and much loved (uugghh) 'Kop', I've just found out that, in Polish, the noun 'kop' - and a number of derivatives from it - all relate to a kick of some sorts.

The word 'kop' itself is the kicking or thrusting of a leg when swimming, for example and one more instance of it is inserted in the word 'Kopnij' which, before Carl swoops on this and claims it's something related to poor old Nige, means 'kick it'.

On that basis, every time someone now refers to the legendary (Spion) Kop, I'll be quietly chuckling away to myself at the thought of the gathered, inbred multitudes, crammed into their crumbling little terrace area, being no more than a bunch of kickers (much like the football they watch there).......because, at the end of the day, I'm just shallow and superficial like that :roll: :roll: :roll:


I dont know mate, but surely its a Boer or Kaffir word and is named after a particularly catastrophic cock up in the South African War.

There were loads of Spion Kops in early grounds.


'Kop' means 'hill' in Afrikaans. The name is an Anglicization of Afrikaans for 'spy/spyglass hill', I think. I always assumed that kops were so named to commemorate/memorialize the battle, but it seems (according to Wikipedia, at least) that it was a light-hearted take on the look of the embankments themselves, due to fans on a single-tier embankment looking like soldiers amassed on the hill.


Good stuff bb
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
User avatar
john@staustell
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent
 
Posts: 13794
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:35 am
Location: St Austell
Supporter of: City

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 am

AG7 wrote:Long live this thread :D

That’s three draws on the trot now after that Bristol City loss? ... And Everton away coming the day after tomorrow ... :D :D :D

El Bussico.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6741
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Manchester
Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby john68 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:50 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
john68 wrote:In the 1920s, therewas a 3rd Manchester team founded...Manchester Central FC (MCFC).
They played at Belle Vue in the Football Combination League.
They applied to join the League and were eventually allowed in by default to replace a failed club from Wigan.
They were non league but getting larger crowds than the rags and the rags panicked for their future when the decision was made to allow them into the Football league.
On their behalf, City took the Football League chairman (also Chair of Liverpool FC) for a meal.
Immediately after that meal, I believe on the steps of the Midland Hotel, an announcement was made that Manchester Central were not being allowed to replace the failed Wigan club.

Not too long ago, I heard the same story told from a different perspective. In that version, although it was the Rags who made the 'official' complaint, it was a 50:50 collusion between the two clubs to keep Manchester Central out of the league. The Rags took 90% of the flak for it, though, while animosity towards us faded pretty quickly.
Looking at their league positions and short-lived history, there seems to be little justification for their promotion to the League from a modern-day perspective. They were essentially a mid-table club, and the only justification for their acceptance would have been geographic location - more like US franchises than the pyramid system we're accustomed to in the modern era. I bet there must have been dodgy deals going on all over the place in order to earn League admission.


I would agree with most of that BiB, The rags were in a panic but had little or no political muscel compared to City, who did the dirty deed at the Midland Hotel on their behalf.
Manchester Central were getting higher gates than the rags and would have been direct competition for them, even in mid table. The rags were extremely poor and in poor shape as a club.
I don't think at that time that City had any fear of Manchester Central, maybe just a case of 'better the devil you know.
You are right regarding geography. The Football League overlooked other clubs in the south and accepted Central as being a Northern club replacing a failed Northern club from Wigan.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
1936-37..........P 25.....W 10.....D 8.....L 7..........F 51 - A 41.....GD (10).....38Pts..........City 3-1 Portsmouth
1967-68..........P 25.....W 14.....D 5.....L7..........F 55 - A 31.....GD (24).....46Pts..........City 3-0 Nottingham Forest
2011-2012..........P 25.....W19.....D 3.....L 3.....F 64 - A 19.....GD (45).....60Pts..........Aston Villa 0-1 City
2013-2014..........P 25.....W 17.....D 3.....L 5.....F 68 - A 27.....GD (41).....54Pts..........Norwich City 0-0 City
2017-18.....P 24.....W 21.....D 2.....L 1.....F 70 - A 18.....GD (52).....65Pts..........Next.....City v West Bromich Albion (H).
User avatar
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure
 
Posts: 14014
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:47 pm
Location: Sittin' on the dock of the bay...wastin' time.
Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], BoffinBlue, C & C, Deyna, fangsanalsatan, Google Feedfetcher, patrickblue, RodneyRodney, Sparklehorse, Wonderwall, Yahoo Slurp [Bot] and 20 guests