The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Laughing Thread, the gift that keeps on giving.

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:23 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Are they the only other side in England( as well as us) with City in their name that are not distinguishable by just their place name?

Leicester, Norwich, Birmingham etc. are all commonly referred to without City in their title.

Bradford City and Bradford Park Avenue (who had a decent pre-WWII history)? Confusingly, there's also a Bradford Town, but they're from down south. Also, Glasgow City are the most successful women's team from Scotland, but wouldn't be thought of if you just said 'Glasgow'.

There's a few towns in England with both a City and United: Manchester, Oxford, Cambridge, Coventry, Lincoln, Carlisle and Norwich for starters. I think there's also one somewhere close to the Welsh border.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:39 pm

john@staustell wrote:Another manager did that recently - someone down near the bottom - blmaed the players and said they'd blown their chance. It's one thing to play a weak team but it's another to expect any individual to play in with 10 another 2nd-teamers and be expected to stand out - it's hopeless. To get a good look at a player you need to see how they do in amongst the first team, where everyone is hopefully doing the right thing.

Not only parking the bus but throwing his players under it when it's time to take it home!

From what I seen, it was the first team players that let him down. Rashford was gash, Pogba was Dogshit and Martial was ineffective. And did anybody notice that Lukaku actually came on at 60ish minutes?

Obviously blaming it on Luke Shaw, you know, the bloke who was going to be the best in the PL until Maureen tore him apart.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby CTID Hants » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:07 pm

The rags have published an article on their own web site complaining that they have the worst fixtures over the Xmas period than their rivals :lol: :lol: Get those excuses in early ya Wankers..

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/manchest ... our-rivals
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby branny » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:35 pm

CTID Hants wrote:The rags have published an article on their own web site complaining that they have the worst fixtures over the Xmas period than their rivals :lol: :lol: Get those excuses in early ya Wankers..

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/manchest ... our-rivals

It's not gone to plan though has it. They had a piss easy start where they didn't meet anyone worthy of note until the Dippers in October, by which time their maximum points haul would have them walking away with the league. Ooops.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby john@staustell » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:24 pm

SSN reports that Ryan Giggs says he isn't interested in the Swansea job.

I'd just like to put it out there that I'm not interested either
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:47 pm

patrickblue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:Wasn’t it David Makin as well that put his money in to the club when we were fucked? Or was it definitely just Wardle?

lost a fortune according to this
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... urs-997435

We owe them both a huge debt (no pun intended) along with imo, Stuart Pearce, who apart from very nearly boring me to death, kept us up with a totally crap team and no resources.
It's down to the three of them that we're where we are now.

Not true at all mate. When he was given money he wasted it on people like Samaras. It was well known Pearce was regarded as a “joke” amongst the players at the time. That fuckin beanie toy he had at the side of the pitch didn’t help!

Pearce is the only manager we had where half way through the season I just missed matches as I couldn’t be bothered going, despite having a season ticket. Didn’t we go something like half a season without scoring a single goal at home?

Pearce was awful, he didn’t have amazing resources but neither did a lot of managers at that time. Look at what Fat Sam did at Bolton with similar resources.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:01 pm

Mase wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:Wasn’t it David Makin as well that put his money in to the club when we were fucked? Or was it definitely just Wardle?

We owe them both a huge debt (no pun intended) along with imo, Stuart Pearce, who apart from very nearly boring me to death, kept us up with a totally crap team and no resources.

Not true at all mate. When he was given money he wasted it on people like Samaras. It was well known Pearce was regarded as a “joke” amongst the players at the time. That fuckin beanie toy he had at the side of the pitch didn’t help!

Pearce is the only manager we had where half way through the season I just missed matches as I couldn’t be bothered going, despite having a season ticket. Didn’t we go something like half a season without scoring a single goal at home?

Pearce was awful, he didn’t have amazing resources but neither did a lot of managers at that time. Look at what Fat Sam did at Bolton with similar resources.

Agreed pearce was woeful. And he proved it afterwards in every job he has had, even his punditry makes abs no sense
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nickyboy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Another manager did that recently - someone down near the bottom - blmaed the players and said they'd blown their chance. It's one thing to play a weak team but it's another to expect any individual to play in with 10 another 2nd-teamers and be expected to stand out - it's hopeless. To get a good look at a player you need to see how they do in amongst the first team, where everyone is hopefully doing the right thing.

Not only parking the bus but throwing his players under it when it's time to take it home!

From what I seen, it was the first team players that let him down. Rashford was gash, Pogba was Dogshit and Martial was ineffective. And did anybody notice that Lukaku actually came on at 60ish minutes?

Obviously blaming it on Luke Shaw, you know, the bloke who was going to be the best in the PL until Maureen tore him apart.

I wouldn't be averse to us taking a punt on Shaw. Still a very good left back, think Pep could get him playing to his potential
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby nottsblue » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:22 pm

Nickyboy wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

I wouldn't be averse to us taking a punt on Shaw. Still a very good left back, think Pep could get him playing to his potential

Not a bad call that. Plus it would have the added bonus of pissing off the rags even more if he turned out to be half decent after all.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby patrickblue » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Dubciteh wrote:
Mase wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Agreed pearce was woeful. And he proved it afterwards in every job he has had, even his punditry makes abs no sense

Point is, he kept us up. We had the worst team in the division by far that season, and should have been down. Bolton weren't on the edge of going broke like we were. There's no debate about how awful the football was.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Mase » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:44 pm

patrickblue wrote:Point is, he kept us up. We had the worst team in the division by far that season, and should have been down. Bolton weren't on the edge of going broke like we were. There's no debate about how awful the football was.

That’s not true at all mate. Have you actually looked at that season? Wigan, Charlton, Sheffield Utd to name a few were all worse than City that season.

Our squad wasn’t bad at all. We had some decent players. Distin was still with us then as well. It was the awful management that screwed us over. It was woeful!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby patrickblue » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Mase wrote:
patrickblue wrote:Point is, he kept us up. We had the worst team in the division by far that season, and should have been down. Bolton weren't on the edge of going broke like we were. There's no debate about how awful the football was.

That’s not true at all mate. Have you actually looked at that season? Wigan, Charlton, Sheffield Utd to name a few were all worse than City that season.

Our squad wasn’t bad at all. We had some decent players. Distin was still with us then as well. It was the awful management that screwed us over. It was woeful!

All a matter of opinion really. Barton was our stand out player that year, and top scorer with six goals. Says it all. Central defence was our only saving grace, with Distin and Dunnie. And as for gorgeous George, everyone thought he was a great signing at the time, until he turned to shite.
As it ended there were six teams below us, but the only stand out crap side as I remember were Sheffield Utd. Wigan beat us home and away.
I still think Pearce did a job that season, which kept us up. If we'd gone down, I don't think the dodgy Thai would have bought us.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby AG7 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:04 am

A 100 year old Bristol City fan was interviewed on Sky just before last night’s game ... “Can you win tonight?” She contemplated for a few seconds then her response was ... “If it was Manchester City no but it’s only Manchester United so it's possible”
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Agueroooooo!

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:47 am

patrickblue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

We stayed up despite Pearce, not because of him.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:02 am

AG7 wrote:A 100 year old Bristol City fan was interviewed on Sky just before last night’s game ... “Can you win tonight?” She contemplated for a few seconds then her response was ... “If it was Manchester City no but it’s only Manchester United so it's possible”

That is a belter. A pint for the lady there.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby RodneyRodney » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:58 am

AG7 wrote:A 100 year old Bristol City fan was interviewed on Sky just before last night’s game ... “Can you win tonight?” She contemplated for a few seconds then her response was ... “If it was Manchester City no but it’s only Manchester United so it's possible”

Poetry,sublime poetry
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:29 am

patrickblue wrote:
Mase wrote:

All a matter of opinion really. Barton was our stand out player that year, and top scorer with six goals. Says it all. Central defence was our only saving grace, with Distin and Dunnie. And as for gorgeous George, everyone thought he was a great signing at the time, until he turned to shite.
As it ended there were six teams below us, but the only stand out crap side as I remember were Sheffield Utd. Wigan beat us home and away.
I still think Pearce did a job that season, which kept us up. If we'd gone down, I don't think the dodgy Thai would have bought us.

This.. The season of cheering a corner. Dunnie Sylvan were amazing.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby dick dastardley » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:36 am

Another giggs legendary one liner
He told unitid to buy mbappe and Jesus!! As if the serial cheat knows exactly what he's doing how come no one will employ him as a manager!!
No fucker takes him serious

Giggs tearing families apart again!!
Best chant whenever that fuckwit turns up at the etihad
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Mase » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:37 am

Hazy2 wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
Mase wrote:

This.. The season of cheering a corner. Dunnie Sylvan were amazing.

So you’re saying Pearce saved us from relegation as well?

Out of interest mate how many matches did you go to that season? I ask because a lot of us were ready to give up our season tickets because of the shit tactics.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wooders » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:41 am

West Ham at the Etihad was the highlight of the season - georgios goal is still one of my all timers
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum