Radio Raheem

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Radio Raheem

Postby Fidel Castro » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:37 am

Wasn't convinced he was all that when the rumours were flying about. Then we signed him and thought he started really well. Not individually, but I saw the difference he made to our team dynamics. We had an amazing start and he most definitely contributed to that.

But...

I'm still not convinced. When the oppo figure him out, he's not dangerous at all and in effect a yardie Navas. Good for the team, but ball bounces off his shin, technically just a bit meh and basically all about pace and you just know he's gonna squander any opportunity given to him.

Not writing him off by any means, he's important to the team. But the more I see, the less I believe he is this prodigious talent that can become our "crack" player. More Aaron Lennon than...uhm some random technically gifted foreign dude.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Re: Radio Raheem

Postby kennyboy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:07 am

Good post, i agree with your toughts.
He was not outstanding in dippers, but i hope he could take the next step with us.
Better players around him, hes finish seems as bad as Navas. Lets give him some time.
Scandinavian True Blue
kennyboy
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Keith Curle

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:13 am

I agree. It did not surprise me that he was taken off before Navas yesterday. If all our players were fit Raheem would not start for me, on current form.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dunnylad » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:21 am

Give him.some time and relax about his form it'll come. There was some good link.up play with KDB yesterday that could blossom - to some degree he's got to learn he's no longer a big fish in a small pond, would be nice to see him complete a match though & not convinced he's always been the right one to take off
Last edited by Dunnylad on Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:26 am

I think (like we've seen with a couple of players in the past - Lescott being one) we'll see his best form once he beds in and people stop mentioning his price tag. Every time his name is mentioned it always "the £49 million man Sterling...." and I think it just adds to the pressure for him. Once that dies down and he can just get on with it without people bringing that up he'll be fine.

He's still only a kid and has loads to learn. He'll benefit from training with our players and I'm sure we'll see the best of him from mid-season onwards once he's settled in.

One thing I will say though is when we play the murderers away I wouldn't even have him in the squad. There's no point because he'll get so much shit I'd imagine it will affect him big time - like we saw every time we went to Villa with Barry.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby City64 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:29 am

Sterling has done very well in the first 4 games or so , he had a tough experience v Juve the other night on a big stage but will learn from it , brilliant signing young , unique and dynamic . OUR BIGGEST CONCERN right now is the form of our 2 main strikers Aguero and Bony who both look dogshit , lets leave young Raheem alone right now eh !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:51 am

Agree with both Mase and City64. A young player who isn't even 21 going from being the star of a club to just another squad member. The boy has talent galore and will be a phenomenal player in a year or two. Let's give him the time to ensure we get that player and not someone else. Yes, his finishing could be better and he hasn't made many jinking runs but he has added to the team as a whole and we look better with him in the team.

Imagine what he will learn from Silva, KDB, Aguero, Yaya and even Nasri and Navas. Let's give the lad a break
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Clowncrete » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:02 am

In the Everton game, he was completely invisible, doing a Nasri and passing sideways in the first half. Suddenly he is completely different in the second half and bags a quality assist. No doubt, Pellers had a word in his ear and told him to take more risks. I think he will come good, but he is another player who needs a bit more confidence.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby MilnersJaw » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:32 am

Mase wrote:I think (like we've seen with a couple of players in the past - Lescott being one) we'll see his best form once he beds in and people stop mentioning his price tag. Every time his name is mentioned it always "the £49 million man Sterling...." and I think it just adds to the pressure for him. Once that dies down and he can just get on with it without people bringing that up he'll be fine.

He's still only a kid and has loads to learn. He'll benefit from training with our players and I'm sure we'll see the best of him from mid-season onwards once he's settled in.

One thing I will say though is when we play the murderers away I wouldn't even have him in the squad. There's no point because he'll get so much shit I'd imagine it will affect him big time - like we saw every time we went to Villa with Barry.

the problem is the price tag pressure will sways be there for him and it is partially our fault for paying it when no other club was pursuing him.

I was against the idea of signing him and so far i'm still not convinced, it is still early days yet though. What bothers me is he is getting into some good positions and is on goal and does the same shit finish every time.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:40 am

What bothers me is his lack of positional sense. He could have moved out wide many times yesterday to make himself available. Instead he cut inside where a pass was not on. It was almost as if he was trying to avoid getting involved. When he is in possession it's almost inevitable he will have the ball taken off him.
I do think he plays better when Silva is on the field.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC

Postby PeterParker » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:06 am

We should buy Messi.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:25 pm

PeterParker wrote:We should buy Messi.

Does he track back?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:02 pm

The price tag mentioning will go away eventually. It was the same with Lescott and I believe it affected him until people stopped mentioning it.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:06 pm

Since he came, he's had an injury and we've had an international break affecting the bedding in period. Yesterday de Bruyne was very different from what Silva does - he was everywhere, which was great, but it'll take time for the others to know what to do with it - double up on the opponent or move to a new position. As Silva should have been in instead of Navas, I assume the training this week was based on something else and Raheem perhaps isn't the brightest at doing something new i.e. he's no Silva.

A couple of bad games this week, but you could say that if a lot of the players. Whilst he perhaps deserved to be subbed, I'm not sure the constant subbing him will help his confidence. One for Manuel to sort.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:26 pm

the dummy he sold jenkinson and the sky cameraman yesterday was different class
he is only 20 and will be huge for us in the coming years
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby ross.mcfc » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:02 pm

When he broke through at Liverpool I could never really judge if he was the next Messi or SWP.

After 7 games in not even sure he is as good as SWP at the same age.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:05 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:When he broke through at Liverpool I could never really judge if he was the next Messi or SWP.

After 7 games in not even sure he is as good as SWP at the same age.

But then SWP fell off a cliff and never found the level you'd have hoped. Sterling has loads of potential. He's not the finished article. I'll be patient with him.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:02 pm

I didn't want him at all, but have been very pleased with him so far. He wasn't great yesterday, but he wasn't bad and he's been very good previously. No hassles for me.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!

Postby sheblue » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:09 pm

The general sentiment is he's young and needs time, think he is the the of player who will make a slow steady progress, still looks like he has a lot to learn.
He will get there but it will take time for him.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Amazing how the first 4 games he was getting decent reviews but after a couple of poor team performances he's now being seen by some as not up to the mark.

I personally think we, and he, will go onto great things.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum