David Silva - City's Greatest Ever?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

David Silva - City's Greatest Ever?

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:25 am

Article in the men which i agree with in theory:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... t-10196972

But for those longer in the tooth than i am, is he the greatest we have ever had? For me its a toss up between him and Tevez, Dave prob wins it on the count of not being a cunt.

I am a 90s fan so never seen any of the greats so cant compare, how does he compare to the likes of Bell?
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: David Silva - City's Greatest Ever?

Postby Blue Oli » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:51 am

I think he would be on the short list for sure alongside : bell, Tuart, Lee, summerbee, power, corrigan, kinky, book, and maybe Sergio too now.

A couple more seasons at the level he is at now and we may be talking about Sergio, silva and Hart in the same way us older guys discuss bell, summer bee and Lee

Still for me though Doyle is king.
Blue Oli
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Paul Power

Postby Plain Speaking » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:02 am

My Dad tells me Trautman was the greatest goalkeeper ever. Apparently his catching and distribution was exceptional, throwing the ball more accurately than you could kick it.

(He also says KDB reminds him of Colin Bell).

Silva is the greatest I have known. The trouble is, like so many great players, he gets targeted by opposition players, taking it in turns to kick him.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:16 am

I still think a young Ali B would have been the greatest ever for us. We only got a glimpse of what he could do right at the end of his career.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby sheblue » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:45 am

Following city since the late 1980s. He is the best I've seen in that time.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:50 am

Negouai
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:23 pm

He is the best player I have had the pleasure to watch in a blue shIrt. He is incredibly talented and we have been so lucky to have had such an amazing talismanic player in his prime years.

Too many times down the years have the good players arrived at City when they were way over the hill and out to pasture. Not with silva, he is the real deal world class player in my eyes.

It says it all, when we have a massively talented squad from back to front, yet my heart sinks every time Silva is not in the starting 11.

Control is 2nd to none, he has so much time on the ball it's a joy to behold. Opposition players will not go near him in fear of being made a fool.

David Silva - City's best EVER....... YES absolutely
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby nottsblue » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:26 pm

Like many of these comparisons, it is nigh on impossible to compare players from different eras, as the game is played differently. The truth is the best players of a particular era would very likely do well in another era, as they are the best because they are able to adapt to different situations. Bell, for example, would likely have 100 caps for England today and be lauded as world class. Tevez or Silva would have terrorised defences, even on the cowfields players had to contend with in the 60s and 70s. Johnson, our record goalscorer, would have likely scored plenty in today's era as well.

You can only call players you have seen yourself. For me, that is Aguero
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:49 pm

merlin is getting better with age imo
i think his best is yet to come...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby The Maine Man » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:35 pm

It's tough to compare different eras. I'd love to see Kinkladze or Paul Lake in the current side, but then it may be disappointing.

But greatest ever? Kevin Horlock ;-)
The Maine Man
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:36 pm

Wonderwall wrote:He is the best player I have had the pleasure to watch in a blue shIrt. He is incredibly talented and we have been so lucky to have had such an amazing talismanic player in his prime years.

Too many times down the years have the good players arrived at City when they were way over the hill and out to pasture. Not with silva, he is the real deal world class player in my eyes.

It says it all, when we have a massively talented squad from back to front, yet my heart sinks every time Silva is not in the starting 11.

Control is 2nd to none, he has so much time on the ball it's a joy to behold. Opposition players will not go near him in fear of being made a fool.

David Silva - City's best EVER....... YES absolutely

All of the above for me.
I loved Bell as a kid but did not see him live. Like yourself WW, I often find myself turning to my son and saying 'it's a pleasure to watch this guy play football,
He really is a joy to behold when he takes over a game.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby john@staustell » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:41 pm

There isn't really any comparison. Silva is clearly our best player ever. By a long, long way.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:42 pm

nottsblue wrote:Like many of these comparisons, it is nigh on impossible to compare players from different eras, as the game is played differently. The truth is the best players of a particular era would very likely do well in another era, as they are the best because they are able to adapt to different situations. Bell, for example, would likely have 100 caps for England today and be lauded as world class. Tevez or Silva would have terrorised defences, even on the cowfields players had to contend with in the 60s and 70s. Johnson, our record goalscorer, would have likely scored plenty in today's era as well.

Love Aguero and he is the striker that every single football fan of an opposition team gers but would love to have.

HOWEVER IMO
Aguero without silva is half the player.
Silva without Aguero is still magnificent
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Of those I watched, Agüero, Silva, Tevez & Yaya are in their own tier in terms of world class talent, consistency and achievement at the club. Silva's influence on the rest of the team is the highest, while the Argies are more archetypal 'match winners'. Yaya somewhere in between.

I think Silva & Agüero edge it, but hard to imagine that the latter is only 27 and been plagued by injuries for long spells during his time here.

And Mase, that's a good shout, although a bit theoretical. Maybe not quite 'greatest ever', but a peak Benarbia (mid to late 90s) with similar talent around him as today's team, would be in that group. No doubt.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby nottsblue » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Like many of these comparisons, it is nigh on impossible to compare players from different eras, as the game is played differently. The truth is the best players of a particular era would very likely do well in another era, as they are the best because they are able to adapt to different situations. Bell, for example, would likely have 100 caps for England today and be lauded as world class. Tevez or Silva would have terrorised defences, even on the cowfields players had to contend with in the 60s and 70s. Johnson, our record goalscorer, would have likely scored plenty in today's era as well.

Love Aguero and he is the striker that every single football fan of an opposition team gers but would love to have.

HOWEVER IMO
Aguero without silva is half the player.
Silva without Aguero is still magnificent

Don't forget we are also talking about two different positions on the field. Aguero is there to score goals and he has the best minutes per goal ratio in the modern era. He will become our leading scorer ever should he remain for another three years. Silva, without question, is a superb footballer, deserving of much more personal accolades than he receives. In his position he has no equal in this country and is in the top few in the world. However the margins are so very fine and I just feel that to be our best ever he should score more. I know he got double figures last year but someone of his talent and skill should get more in my view to be considered our best ever. Just my opinion for what it's worth, though to be fair it is very hard to argue against Silva.

We should just be thankful we have both in the same team. With Yaya. And Now KDB, who in a few years, may be talked about in the same breath. We shall see.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dameerto » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Best player I've seen in a CIty shirt (but I didn't see the 70's team). I might have been a bit overly optimistic saying he'd get a statue by the time he retires but I think the club will do something for him.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby clippo22 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:22 pm

Dameerto wrote:Best player I've seen in a CIty shirt (but I didn't see the 70's team). I might have been a bit overly optimistic saying he'd get a statue by the time he retires but I think the club will do something for him.

Completely agree! Best player to wear the shirt for me!

They should name the pitch after him, every time he steps onto it he owns every inch of it!
clippo22
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: City!!!
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:55 pm

I think this is a much better thread than the one in the summer asking if we should sell him as he unbalanced our team :-)
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:26 pm

I think in terms of greatness you have to include achievements and driving the club to success. And so that probably excludes the likes of Tueart, Corrigan, certainly Ali B, Goater and Kinkladze, much as we loved them. Throw international caps into the ring plus medals and awards in that sphere and you really are looking at Silva and Yaya. As a staunch Colin Bell fan it takes something for me to say that Silva probably pips him. A privilege to watch him over the last few seasons.
Last edited by Piccsnumberoneblue on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby gillie » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I think in terms of greatness you have to include achievements and driving the club to success. And so that probably excludes the likes of Rueart, Corrigan, certainly Ali B, Goater and Kinkladze, much as we loved them. Throw international caps into the ring plus medals and awards in that sphere and you really are looking at Silva and Yaya. As a staunch Colin Bell fan it takes something for me to say that Silva probably pips him. A privilege to watch him over the last few seasons.

Nijinsky in this team would have the likes of Real Madrid offering over a hundred million quid to buy him but imo Silva is unbuyable so for me yes the best ever to wear the blue shirt.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum