Badge Consultation

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Badge Consultation

Postby patrickblue » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:30 am

The bee is everywhere in Manchester. Probably the city's most recognisable symbol.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby RodneyRodney » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:19 am

I like the bee ; gotta get a Blue Moon onto it somehow. What about a Red Rose too ?
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:38 pm

I don't disagree about the beee and Manchester. But is has zero to do with our football club or our badge history.

The Ship, the Rivers and the rose have all played a part.

Plus it's just my own personal.opinion but a bee would look shit
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:14 pm

Wonderwall wrote:I don't disagree about the beee and Manchester. But is has zero to do with our football club or our badge history.

The Ship, the Rivers and the rose have all played a part.

Plus it's just my own personal.opinion but a bee would look shit

It would an odd thing to embrace the bee now i agree. I just happen to love bees as well so It's fun to see. It wouldn't be worse than an eagle but still inappropriate. Any symbol like that which applies is the Maltese Cross obvs. The ship. The rivers. The cross. Round badge. Bit of maroon as an accent somewhere. Fuck off the Latin horseshit and the stars and eagle and they can almost do no wrong with that approach.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:59 pm

patrickblue wrote:The bee is everywhere in Manchester. Probably the city's most recognisable symbol.

That'd be pigeon shit.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby bayblue » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:05 pm

I was surprised by the bee until I thought about it and realised it is actually a good symbol. However we have other ones that also have a historical connection with the club (rivers, ships, rose) so not sure how many symbols you can shoe horn in.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby patrickblue » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
patrickblue wrote:The bee is everywhere in Manchester. Probably the city's most recognisable symbol.

That'd be pigeon shit.

Apart from the pigeon shit.

What about bee shit?
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby patrickblue » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:20 pm

But all joking aside, I'm so pleased that they are looking to change the badge, it's the only thing left of the club that's still Mickey Mouse.
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:06 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:

That'd be pigeon shit.

Apart from the pigeon shit.

What about bee shit?

I'm all in favour of bee shit.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:24 pm

It was interesting on the survey that all the choices were between existing and traditional elements; I'm thinking they will let the fans chose those and then maybe throw in one new think that links all the global brand (I can't believe I used the word brand about my club!)
Last edited by Hutch's Shoulder on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:28 pm

The world is full of wanna-bees.

I'll get me coat.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:56 pm

But where did it ever fit into our badge, I don't think it's never been used; more to do with the Manchester coat of arms.

Plus, it looks shit. Incorporate the rivers, rose, ship, St Marks crest, and the date, and I'm happy.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mase » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:20 pm

Pigeinho instead of the bee 100%
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:27 pm

Mase wrote:Pigeinho instead of the bee 100%

With you there brother. Just seen one on Google image, think it was smoking a fag!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

But where did it ever fit into our badge, I don't think it's never been used; more to do with the Manchester coat of arms.

Plus, it looks shit. Incorporate the rivers, rose, ship, St Marks crest, and the date, and I'm happy.

We could always make the badge hexagonal instead of round. Like a honeycomb cell ;-)
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:07 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

We could always make the badge hexagonal instead of round. Like a honeycomb cell ;-)

Ter'wat!

;-)

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:10 pm

Or we could lump all past badges into one like the dreadful NK Croatia Zagreb of the 90s.

I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby patrickblue » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:04 pm

The guy who used to run the old souvenir shop, Eddie Phillips, who supposedly had the copyright to the old badge, says this is not the case, and there's nothing stopping City using it.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... k-10299158

Manchester City free to change back to old badge says former souvenir shop owner

10:17, 21 Oct 2015
Updated 12:25, 21 Oct 2015
By Chris Slater

Entrepreneur Eddie Phillips has denied he ever held the rights for the badge containing the red rose - always a favourite among fans

Manchester City COULD revert to their previous badge if the fans wanted them to, the M.E.N has been told.

The club have launched a consultation with supporters over a potential change to the current badge.

Many have expressed of a desire to return to the old crest, the circular badge containing the Mancunian ship symbol and the red rose of Lancashire.

Urban legend has it that the copyright was owned by the former owner of the club’s souvenir shop.

Businessman Eddie Phillips ran the shop outside Maine Road, which began life as a small wooden hut from the late 1970s and throughout the Peter Swales era.

The club's crests from the 1960s to the present day

However he left the role after Francis Lee’s takeover of the club in 1994.

The club changed badge just three years later to the current one, containing the eagle and controversial three stars.

Many understood Mr Phillips owns the rights to previous one and Mr Lee this week took to Twitter saying he “didn’t have much choice” but to instigate a change during his time as chairman.

However, Mr Phillips has told the M.E.N that claims of him being the catalyst are a myth, and that the club are free to use the old crest anytime they wish.

Mr Phillips, now 76, says he was the only verified seller of goods containing the badge, allowing him to prevent other sellers producing fake merchandise.

However, he says he was only ever the “guardian” of it and never “owned” the badge, which the club wore on its shirts between 1972 and 1976, and then from 1981 until 1987.

He said: “I don’t understand where this has come from.

“I did have rights which allowed me to sell official merchandise with the badge on and take action against anyone producing counterfeits.

“But I was only ever the guardian of it if you can put it like that.

“There was never anything in writing.

“And I never owned the copyright, that remained with the club.

“The only copyright I own is for Centenary badge (worn on the 1994 shirt), because I designed it.

“But at the end of the day I’m a Manchester City man, always have been.

“I never have stood in their way of using anything and I never would.”

Despite giving the all-clear for it, he believes the club should come up with a new emblem, more in keeping with the modern era.

The former newsagent from Didsbury said: “I would like to see them go back, but with some changes.

“I don’t care much for the current one.

“I don’t think it represents Manchester.

“And I can understand why many fans want to go back to the old one because it’s such an icon.

“But I think it would need some modifications.”

Mr Phillips ended his association with the club after Francis Lee took over as chairman

The club announced the consultation last week with fans urged to have their say online.

And bosses stress at this stage they simply want to find out which elements and symbols fans think best represent Manchester and that they would like to see in any future badge.

A ‘consultation space’ has been established outside the Etihad where fans can visit and have their say in person.

The consultation space outside the Etihad

Manchester football historian Gary James is also holding a series of lectures at the Media Centre in the City Football Academy, on the history of the club’s four badges for members including one open to all fans.

They are on:

Wednesday October 28: 6pm-7pm (Cityzens members only)

Saturday October 31: 1pm-2pm (Official Supporters Clubs only)

Wednesday 4 November: 5.00-6.00pm (Cityzens members only)

Wednesday 11 November: 12.30-1.30pm (Open to all – send an email to badgelectures@mcfc.co.uk to book a place)
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dameerto » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:51 pm

I'd like to see them use a modern version of the old badge if we go down that route.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:10 pm

patrickblue wrote:The guy who used to run the old souvenir shop, Eddie Phillips, who supposedly had the copyright to the old badge, says this is not the case, and there's nothing stopping City using it.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... k-10299158

Manchester City free to change back to old badge says former souvenir shop owner

10:17, 21 Oct 2015
Updated 12:25, 21 Oct 2015
By Chris Slater

Entrepreneur Eddie Phillips has denied he ever held the rights for the badge containing the red rose - always a favourite among fans

Manchester City COULD revert to their previous badge if the fans wanted them to, the M.E.N has been told.

The club have launched a consultation with supporters over a potential change to the current badge.

Many have expressed of a desire to return to the old crest, the circular badge containing the Mancunian ship symbol and the red rose of Lancashire.

Urban legend has it that the copyright was owned by the former owner of the club’s souvenir shop.

Businessman Eddie Phillips ran the shop outside Maine Road, which began life as a small wooden hut from the late 1970s and throughout the Peter Swales era.

The club's crests from the 1960s to the present day

However he left the role after Francis Lee’s takeover of the club in 1994.

The club changed badge just three years later to the current one, containing the eagle and controversial three stars.

Many understood Mr Phillips owns the rights to previous one and Mr Lee this week took to Twitter saying he “didn’t have much choice” but to instigate a change during his time as chairman.

However, Mr Phillips has told the M.E.N that claims of him being the catalyst are a myth, and that the club are free to use the old crest anytime they wish.

Mr Phillips, now 76, says he was the only verified seller of goods containing the badge, allowing him to prevent other sellers producing fake merchandise.

However, he says he was only ever the “guardian” of it and never “owned” the badge, which the club wore on its shirts between 1972 and 1976, and then from 1981 until 1987.

He said: “I don’t understand where this has come from.

“I did have rights which allowed me to sell official merchandise with the badge on and take action against anyone producing counterfeits.

“But I was only ever the guardian of it if you can put it like that.

“There was never anything in writing.

“And I never owned the copyright, that remained with the club.

“The only copyright I own is for Centenary badge (worn on the 1994 shirt), because I designed it.

“But at the end of the day I’m a Manchester City man, always have been.

“I never have stood in their way of using anything and I never would.”

Despite giving the all-clear for it, he believes the club should come up with a new emblem, more in keeping with the modern era.

The former newsagent from Didsbury said: “I would like to see them go back, but with some changes.

“I don’t care much for the current one.

“I don’t think it represents Manchester.

“And I can understand why many fans want to go back to the old one because it’s such an icon.

“But I think it would need some modifications.”

Mr Phillips ended his association with the club after Francis Lee took over as chairman

The club announced the consultation last week with fans urged to have their say online.

And bosses stress at this stage they simply want to find out which elements and symbols fans think best represent Manchester and that they would like to see in any future badge.

A ‘consultation space’ has been established outside the Etihad where fans can visit and have their say in person.

The consultation space outside the Etihad

Manchester football historian Gary James is also holding a series of lectures at the Media Centre in the City Football Academy, on the history of the club’s four badges for members including one open to all fans.

They are on:

Wednesday October 28: 6pm-7pm (Cityzens members only)

Saturday October 31: 1pm-2pm (Official Supporters Clubs only)

Wednesday 4 November: 5.00-6.00pm (Cityzens members only)

Wednesday 11 November: 12.30-1.30pm (Open to all – send an email to badgelectures@mcfc.co.uk to book a place)

Cheers for that. It's an eye opener as I read an article many moons ago where he was asking for payment for its use. Good to hear though
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum