Our guy from Milano

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Our guy from Milano

Postby Slim » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:34 pm

Samaras we had the money for, Fowler we didn't.

The reason KK took the job is we were the safe option. So much better than the division we were in and he barely showed up and we won the title. They can wank on about the romance of the club and all that shite, but we had more money than most and better players.

Royle would have got us back up.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:57 pm

Slim wrote:Samaras we had the money for, Fowler we didn't.

The reason KK took the job is we were the safe option. So much better than the division we were in and he barely showed up and we won the title. They can wank on about the romance of the club and all that shite, but we had more money than most and better players.

Wasn't Wardle paying players wages out of his own pocket when we bought Samaras?

'John – who made his fortune as joint-founder of JD Sports with business pal and fellow Blue David Makin – was forever doing the right thing behind-the-scenes to keep City afloat until the 2008 Abu Dhabi takeover.'

Buying Fowler was the straw for Bernstein I believe. He told Keegan he thought it wasn't right but KK went ahead with it anyway.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:59 am

Looks like PSG is ready for a comeback:

Le Parisien suggests Roberto Mancini is ready for the Paris Saint-Germain job if Unai Emery is fired.

The Coach took over this season and has struggled to make much of an impact, as they are trailing in Ligue 1 and finished second in their Champions League group.

Tonight there is a massive game against Mario Balotelli’s surprise Ligue 1 leaders OGC Nice.

Tension is sky high and there are reports PSG have barred all their club members and players from speaking to the media.

According to Le Parisien, plans are in progress if the situation deteriorates and former Sevilla boss Emery is removed from his position.

The hot favourite is Mancini, who is a free agent after terminating his contract with Inter just two weeks before the season began.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby sheblue » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:05 pm

If Bob goes there he will do well with that team.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:59 pm

sheblue wrote:If Bob goes there he will do well with that team.

Yep, but if he wants a greater challenge, he can come back to us behind the scenes as defensive coach ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby sheblue » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:22 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
sheblue wrote:If Bob goes there he will do well with that team.

Yep, but if he wants a greater challenge, he can come back to us behind the scenes as defensive coach ;-)

We can only dream... 8-)
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby PeterParker » Wed May 31, 2017 8:46 pm

Looks like Bobby is going to be the next manager of Zenit.

Announcement by the end of the week. A bit sad, to be fair, I wanted to see him again in the league.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Mase » Wed May 31, 2017 9:05 pm

I fuckin love Mancini.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john68 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:54 am

Mase wrote:
Slim wrote:Samaras we had the money for, Fowler we didn't.

Wasn't Wardle paying players wages out of his own pocket when we bought Samaras?

'John – who made his fortune as joint-founder of JD Sports with business pal and fellow Blue David Makin – was forever doing the right thing behind-the-scenes to keep City afloat until the 2008 Abu Dhabi takeover.'

Buying Fowler was the straw for Bernstein I believe. He told Keegan he thought it wasn't right but KK went ahead with it anyway.

Until the takeover, Bernstein was a great chairman for us. He had no money of his own and we were funded by Wardle and Makin. His remit was to sort the finances out and prepare us for major investment. During his tenure, we not only gained our promotions from Div 2 through to the Prem, but most important
he also cleared our debt and then got the major investment from the States over a 44yr period (I think it was 44yrs).

Keegan had made the deal with Leeds for Fowler without clearance or agreement with the club and Bernstein said no, not at the asking price and on the terms that Keegan had agreed. Keegan went over Bernstein's head, straight to Wardle, who backed Keegan and that compromised Bernstein's position as chairman. He resigned, we paid a ridiculous price for a crocked Fowler that did very little for us for the money.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby john68 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:00 am

Mase wrote:I fuckin love Mancini.

There was a lot to love about his stewardship.
He broke our trophy duck, got rid of that horrendous banner from the swamp and gave the club belief that we could be winners.
Although his League winning side weren't all his players. he moulded them into Champions.
The Likes of Hart, Zaba, Vinnie, Clichy Kolarov, Yaya, Silva, Nasri and Aguero were still in place last season, and only Hart missing from this year's squad.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Mase » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:58 am

john68 wrote:

He broke our trophy duck, got rid of that horrendous banner from the swamp and gave the club belief that we could be winners.
Although his League winning side weren't all his players. he moulded them into Champions.
The Likes of Hart, Zaba, Vinnie, Clichy Kolarov, Yaya, Silva, Nasri and Aguero were still in place last season, and only Hart missing from this year's squad.

The fact he said he would rip the banner down from the Stretford End, and he did, makes him a legend.

He did his homework. He came in, knew our defence wasn't the best and straight away focused on that before anything else.

He didn't take any crap from Sir Alice - used the 'mouthy' gesture at him when they got in to an argument on the touchline.

And his goodbye to the fans that he had printed in the paper. The man was class.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:59 am

Me too mate.
Fantastic manager and fantastic character. I loved his combination of old school management style with new school tactical ideas.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby PeterParker » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:23 am

Mase wrote:
john68 wrote:

The fact he said he would rip the banner down from the Stretford End, and he did, makes him a legend.

He did his homework. He came in, knew our defence wasn't the best and straight away focused on that before anything else.

He didn't take any crap from Sir Alice - used the 'mouthy' gesture at him when they got in to an argument on the touchline.

And his goodbye to the fans that he had printed in the paper. The man was class.

A photo from 93:20

This is what I love about Bobby. He left the club not in the best relashions, but he is still a fan. Every single time he speaks about us in the media he has only fantastic words.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Mase » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:48 am

Does he interview for 93:20?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:33 am

Mase wrote:
john68 wrote:

Spot on Mase.

He deserves better than Zenit.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:48 pm

All confirmed and he is off to zenit. Good luck Roberto Mancinski
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:52 pm

There are worse parts of Russia and the Ukraine for sure. But it sort of suggests there was nothing going at this end!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby PeterParker » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Mase wrote:Does he interview for 93:20?

Yes. He speaks about that day.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Dameerto » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Best of luck to him (unless we meet in the Champion's League).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby foreverblue » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:49 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Me too mate.
Fantastic manager and fantastic character. I loved his combination of old school management style with new school tactical ideas.

Would have him back in a heartbeat. My favourite City manager. Even beats out Horton!!!
foreverblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum