Pellegrini's Selections

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Pellegrini's Selections

Postby TGR » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:49 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:"We win games in spite of him"

There's nothing drives me up the wall more than this statement being spewed out by the whingers.

Big time.

A genuine question:
Do you actually go to the games?
TGR
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby The Maine Man » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:45 am

Dimples wrote:Spot on OD.

The over reactions here are incredible.
In the space of a few games the mood swings from fantastic highs to the pits of despair and back up again.
With the lows come the amusing over reactions: sack the manager, replace the people in charge of transfer policy, etc...

Sure there are concerns and some of the selections appear strange from the outside looking in.
But who knows what instructions the manager is getting from the policy makers in the club.

The strategy given to him could well be:

Currently, priority one is topping CL group and PL is priority two.
CL semis or quarters are required to drive revenue growth for the club.
Therefore, don't worry unduly about Liverpool game.
There are 26 games left to pull the dropped points back.
Focus on Juve - play Aguero if it sharpens him up for Juve, take no risks with Silva, etc...

The manager's selections have delivered the following:

1. We are 2 points of the top of the PL with 26 games to go, in position to top a tough CL group, motoring in the LC.
2. This has been delivered mostly without our three rocks: Agureo, Silva, Kompany
3. The manager's selections has our team playing fantastic attacking football, an absolute joy to watch
4. He has introduced variety into the squad, so we now have several ways of playing, plans A, B, C....

Re transfers:

1. We improved the squad over the summer - De Brown, Sterling and Delph make it much stronger and flexible (and will do so for a long time)
And some people want the transfer guys (and the manager who had a say in this) sacked - WTF?

I am relaxed - things are good - nicely poised.
If we stay injury free over XMAS I expect us to be back on top of PL in January

On last thing: MU are doing well - 1 point above us - right?
Would you want a manager that served up that drivel week in week out - I would not
Even if they do finish above us - so what? I'd still prefer to watch Pelle's teams
Would you want to watch the crap dished out by scumbag Moaniho at Chelsea - I would not

For the record - IMO MU will not finish above us - unless they pull 2 or 3 rabbits out of the hat in January transfers.
They will be found out over XMAS/NY - will enjoy watching this - provided I can stay awake!

The thing for me isn't the slip ups as that happens and let's face it, as a City fan we're well hardened to that. I'm sure Pellers has good reasons for formations and team selections (minor injuries, players not performing in training, upcoming matches, etc), but the thing is he never communicates them. Why not explain it to us, the fans, who see the problems and think we have the solution. He needs to listen to us and respond and for me, that would probably satisfy me. It's the silence on the logic of a 2 man midfield with Yaya against Klopp that baffles me. I'm sure there was a good reason, but I just can't see it.
The Maine Man
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:52 am

The Maine Man wrote:
Dimples wrote:Spot on OD.

The over reactions here are incredible.
In the space of a few games the mood swings from fantastic highs to the pits of despair and back up again.
With the lows come the amusing over reactions: sack the manager, replace the people in charge of transfer policy, etc...

Sure there are concerns and some of the selections appear strange from the outside looking in.
But who knows what instructions the manager is getting from the policy makers in the club.

The strategy given to him could well be:

Currently, priority one is topping CL group and PL is priority two.
CL semis or quarters are required to drive revenue growth for the club.
Therefore, don't worry unduly about Liverpool game.
There are 26 games left to pull the dropped points back.
Focus on Juve - play Aguero if it sharpens him up for Juve, take no risks with Silva, etc...

The manager's selections have delivered the following:

1. We are 2 points of the top of the PL with 26 games to go, in position to top a tough CL group, motoring in the LC.
2. This has been delivered mostly without our three rocks: Agureo, Silva, Kompany
3. The manager's selections has our team playing fantastic attacking football, an absolute joy to watch
4. He has introduced variety into the squad, so we now have several ways of playing, plans A, B, C....

Re transfers:

1. We improved the squad over the summer - De Brown, Sterling and Delph make it much stronger and flexible (and will do so for a long time)
And some people want the transfer guys (and the manager who had a say in this) sacked - WTF?

I am relaxed - things are good - nicely poised.
If we stay injury free over XMAS I expect us to be back on top of PL in January

On last thing: MU are doing well - 1 point above us - right?
Would you want a manager that served up that drivel week in week out - I would not
Even if they do finish above us - so what? I'd still prefer to watch Pelle's teams
Would you want to watch the crap dished out by scumbag Moaniho at Chelsea - I would not

For the record - IMO MU will not finish above us - unless they pull 2 or 3 rabbits out of the hat in January transfers.
They will be found out over XMAS/NY - will enjoy watching this - provided I can stay awake!

The thing for me isn't the slip ups as that happens and let's face it, as a City fan we're well hardened to that. I'm sure Pellers has good reasons for formations and team selections (minor injuries, players not performing in training, upcoming matches, etc), but the thing is he never communicates them. Why not explain it to us, the fans, who see the problems and think we have the solution. He needs to listen to us and respond and for me, that would probably satisfy me. It's the silence on the logic of a 2 man midfield with Yaya against Klopp that baffles me. I'm sure there was a good reason, but I just can't see it.

Just guessing here but I'd say Pellegrini was of the belief that they should be worried about us as the home team rather than us adapting to nullify them.

Not saying that's right but can see logic in that point of view.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby The Maine Man » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:24 am

I don't think any team is good enough not to adapt. Arsenal have been the perfect example of that although sadly the coin seems finally to be dropping there. We are good but not that good. Klopp saw us coming, he must've been laughing his cock off. We need at least 2, preferably 3 systems to deal adequately with threats. It's been mentioned in this thread that we have the best squad in the league but only by a whisker. It's not La Liga where the big 2 can turn up and win most weeks.
The Maine Man

Postby Original Dub » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:52 am

TGR wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

There's nothing drives me up the wall more than this statement being spewed out by the whingers.

Big time.

A genuine question:

Yes, for many years now
Obviously, I can't go every week - I live in Dublin you see.

I'm intrigued as to where this one is going?

Also, do you think Pellegrini DESERVED to win Manager of the Year for his double about a 18 months ago?
Original Dub

Postby zuricity » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:25 pm

The Maine Man wrote:I don't think any team is good enough not to adapt. Arsenal have been the perfect example of that although sadly the coin seems finally to be dropping there. We are good but not that good. Klopp saw us coming, he must've been laughing his cock off. We need at least 2, preferably 3 systems to deal adequately with threats. It's been mentioned in this thread that we have the best squad in the league but only by a whisker. It's not La Liga where the big 2 can turn up and win most weeks.

I don't give Klopp that much. I don't think he saw us coming, I think he probably can't believe how he got away with it so easily. Because we were awful,
Liverpool certainly were not like the Liverpool of old. They made countless mistakes, losing the ball on many, many occasions. We just were so poor we couldn't capitalize on it.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:31 pm

Original Dub wrote:
TGR wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Big time.

A genuine question:

Yes, for many years now
Obviously, I can't go every week - I live in Dublin you see.

I'm intrigued as to where this one is going?

Also, do you think Pellegrini DESERVED to win Manager of the Year for his double about a 18 months ago?

Of course he did.

Armchair fuck.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby City64 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:26 pm

zuricity wrote:
The Maine Man wrote:I don't think any team is good enough not to adapt. Arsenal have been the perfect example of that although sadly the coin seems finally to be dropping there. We are good but not that good. Klopp saw us coming, he must've been laughing his cock off. We need at least 2, preferably 3 systems to deal adequately with threats. It's been mentioned in this thread that we have the best squad in the league but only by a whisker. It's not La Liga where the big 2 can turn up and win most weeks.

I don't give Klopp that much. I don't think he saw us coming, I think he probably can't believe how he got away with it so easily. Because we were awful,
Liverpool certainly were not like the Liverpool of old. They made countless mistakes, losing the ball on many, many occasions. We just were so poor we couldn't capitalize on it.

Absolutely ! That Liverpool side is average at best but the work ethic under Klopp is better , that result was coming for us after several lacklustre league performances of late plus the total bizarre team selection .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:43 pm

An average team could have had 7 in the 1st half plus 5 in a testimonial of a second half, in which the manager is still adamant he would change nothing. Liverpool did what we knew they would start fast, press and isolate us. Moving on, he can never play that system again.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby The Maine Man » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:08 pm

City64 wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Absolutely ! That Liverpool side is average at best but the work ethic under Klopp is better , that result was coming for us after several lacklustre league performances of late plus the total bizarre team selection .

That's my point, the team selection. None of us can understand it so why doesn't Pellegrini state his reasons behind it. He isn't obliged to but it may help him retain the support of the fans.
The Maine Man

Postby Ray78 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:45 pm

The injuries are going to cost Pellegrini big time. He still has to keep the squad fresh and match fit as possible. One of the reasons why he left Fernandinho on the bench against Liverpool was to decrease the risk of burning him out.
Ray78

Supporter of: Erm.......

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:09 pm

Peller's got a lot of shit for Saturday, but his hands are tied. Not sure what he could've done tonight. He'll be gone in the summer. Same 2/3 inconsistent years afterwards in never ending circles.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby nottsblue » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:17 pm

No grumbles about the team he picked tonight. I think we were a tad unlucky myself and on a different night could easily have drawn, if not won the game. As it happened, we didn't, but we are still through and Aguero had another run out, as did Delph. Once we get Bony and Silva and Kompany back things will get a little less strained
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby getdressedmctavish » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 pm

I think we should forget about getting Bony and Komps back, Notts. Imo neither will ever be back for more than a few games.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby City64 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:24 pm

I'm usually buzzing around this time on a Friday afternoon in anticipation of a Saturday home game day out and piss up but last weeks shambles has put a downer on things for sure , hope the stubborn Chilean cunt gets it right tomorrow , defend tight and well and get the fucking ball to Aguero,s feet in the last third should suffice for a much needed 3 pts ............. oh wait , Willy Wonka is in net for us ..................

were fucked again !

I need a pint !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby PrezIke » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:18 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:I think we should forget about getting Bony and Komps back, Notts. Imo neither will ever be back for more than a few games.

Bony has really just had some bad luck. His injury record was pretty much spotless until we bought him.

Regarding Vinnie, sadly, it feels hard to rely upon him. Yet, we have to so all we can really do is keep our fingers crossed.

I didn't even catch what the deal was with Mangala.

What is his injury?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:07 pm

In our big games in 2015 we/City have only won THREE
Juventus LOST 1-0
Liverpool LOST 1-4
Sevilla WON 1-3
Manu DREW 0-0
Spurs LOST 1-4
Juventus LOST 1-2
Chelsea WON 3-0
Spurs WON 0-1
ManU LOST 2-4
Barcelona LOST 0-1
Liverpool LOST 0-1
Barcelona LOST 1-2
Chelsea DREW 0-0
Arsenal LOST 0-2
W 3 D 2 L 9 GF 13 GA 22

Is it just bad fuckign luck or is he getting his selections right and players are at fault ? or is the cunt just fuckign up with his selections ?
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ray78 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:21 pm

A combination of injuries, new players taking their time in getting used to the surroundings, a professional manager sticking by his beliefs (the same could be said with the rags, Dortmund in their last season under Klopp, Mancini with us etc...) and the usual poor decisions from the officials.
Last edited by Ray78 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray78

Supporter of: Erm.......

Postby PrezIke » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Also It doesn't help that our most important players haven't been able to stay fit for any real length of time. I'm not deflecting from Pellegrini's managing ability, but only Arsenal has been facing a similar problem, and it surely hurts continuity.

We play really well for a few games, and then either, some, or all of Kun, Silva and Kompany go down. When we relied on Nasri more he also has gotten injured. Early this season even Sterling was showing to be important with his directness. He has had some good games, but I haven't seen quite the same as in late August and September. Now it's Joe. Hopefully it's not too long or we are in trouble.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby zuricity » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:49 pm

David Silva getting taken out by some Danish knut hardly constitutes a fitness problem. However Bony is a lard arse and totally unfit.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum