Academy - Rags Playing Catch-Up?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Academy - Rags Playing Catch-Up?

Postby Justified logic » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

how old was the no3 who got skinned in that clip?! i've just turned 40 and i'm twice as quick as him.

Since you ask, his name is Hamilton is 18½ and he's an u18 regular and occasional u23 player.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:06 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

how old was the no3 who got skinned in that clip?! i've just turned 40 and i'm twice as quick as him.

Since you ask, his name is Hamilton is 18½ and he's an u18 regular and occasional u23 player.

Good call JL.

We'll have to ensure we (casually) watch his career develop (or not) over the next year or two.

Hope he gets a place in the Scum's first team, because he certainly doesn't look like much of a footballer to me.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:24 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Justified logic wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

Good call JL.

We'll have to ensure we (casually) watch his career develop (or not) over the next year or two.

Hope he gets a place in the Scum's first team, because he certainly doesn't look like much of a footballer to me.

i think you're more mobile than him mick!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:57 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Justified logic wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

Good call JL.

i think you're more mobile than him mick!

Love it NT.

Well done to you.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Original Dub » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:43 am

Gary Neville calls City's academy a "waste".

And all because Rashford and Lindegard can in their first team. Would they get our first team? No, so shut your fucking mouth you weasel.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... e-12911886
Original Dub

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:12 am

He's not wrong though, is he? That's literally what a large number of posters on here have been complaining about: no courage to use the kids. Whether they make it or disappear into oblivion is another point.

Also, it's the MEN that are dragging Rashford and Lingard into this and ignoring the fact that Neville's so-called damning verdict implicates Chelsea on the same grounds.

Embellishing tweets. Journalism my arse.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby Original Dub » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:44 am

fangsanalsatan wrote:He's not wrong though, is he? That's literally what a large number of posters on here have been complaining about: no courage to use the kids. Whether they make it or disappear into oblivion is another point.

Also, it's the MEN that are dragging Rashford and Lingard into this and ignoring the fact that Neville's so-called damning verdict implicates Chelsea on the same grounds.

Embellishing tweets. Journalism my arse.

Well, I think what most posters on here aren't happy with is not using the youngsters in the squad so they can be brought on in games where we've already killed the opposition, or in league cup games etc. The only thing is, for one reason or another, our squad is pretty thin and our bench looks weak as it is. I think Pep would have been killed if he'd had two or three kids on the bench in any match this season.

There's a thin line, but I think we're getting there in relation to the standard that is expected of these kids. It's a damn high standard. Higher than Marcus Rashford and Jesse fucking Lingard for sure. I know Neville didn't mention them two in that tweet, but he never shuts up about the rags giving youngsters a chance and there's no doubt he had them in his thoughts once again.

The rags give them a chance and that's all marvelous, but if Aguero and Sane were in their squad, would they be given this chance? Not a hope.

I think we'll see a lot of opportunities come next season, because the most important thing this season was the implementation of a new system and a whole new philosophy. Pep now knows what players he needs to buy for the first team that will improve our abilities to kill games off quicker. That will allow the youngsters more squad time and subsequently more playing time.

I'm not worried about our academy being a waste. And I'd be surprised if Neville really thinks it is a waste.
Original Dub

Postby nottsblue » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Re the Academy being a waste.

It depends what's the clubs view on the Academy is.

1 - It's a place where the best young players of the north west and from across Europe are brought together with the goal of having a number of them progress through the ranks to the first team. Rather like the model of La Maisa in Barcelona.

2 - It's a place where we develop the best young talent from the north west and together with a policy of buying up developing talent from all over the globe, we send them on loan to gain further experience and put them in the shop window. We then turn a tidy profit. And we may also have a bonus of a couple of the lads being good enough for our first team squad.

I suspect the truth lies somewhere between the two and at the moment the reality is closer to option 2. This may change in time, we shall see.

But a waste? No chance. We have probably already garnered in excess of £20m which will only increase as time goes on. And the quality in the set up as it stands is there for all to see. Perhaps Neville is thinly grasping at straws or maybe he is just a bitter rag
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dameerto » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:55 pm

It's probably the best chance of playing professional football that the youngsters have in this country - maybe not for City's first team but in some form. How can that be a waste?
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Original Dub wrote:Well, I think what most posters on here aren't happy with is not using the youngsters in the squad so they can be brought on in games where we've already killed the opposition, or in league cup games etc. The only thing is, for one reason or another, our squad is pretty thin and our bench looks weak as it is. I think Pep would have been killed if he'd had two or three kids on the bench in any match this season.

There's a thin line, but I think we're getting there in relation to the standard that is expected of these kids. It's a damn high standard. Higher than Marcus Rashford and Jesse fucking Lingard for sure. I know Neville didn't mention them two in that tweet, but he never shuts up about the rags giving youngsters a chance and there's no doubt he had them in his thoughts once again.

The rags give them a chance and that's all marvelous, but if Aguero and Sane were in their squad, would they be given this chance? Not a hope.

Sorry, I'm not having that. We've resorted to starting Navas at right back and Fernandinho at left back etc. So either our academy isn't ready yet to produce youngsters of a high enough quality (understandable) or they're not getting a fair chance (less so).

nottsblue wrote:Re the Academy being a waste.

It depends what's the clubs view on the Academy is.

1 - It's a place where the best young players of the north west and from across Europe are brought together with the goal of having a number of them progress through the ranks to the first team. Rather like the model of La Maisa in Barcelona.

2 - It's a place where we develop the best young talent from the north west and together with a policy of buying up developing talent from all over the globe, we send them on loan to gain further experience and put them in the shop window. We then turn a tidy profit. And we may also have a bonus of a couple of the lads being good enough for our first team squad.

I suspect the truth lies somewhere between the two and at the moment the reality is closer to option 2. This may change in time, we shall see.

But a waste? No chance. We have probably already garnered in excess of £20m which will only increase as time goes on. And the quality in the set up as it stands is there for all to see. Perhaps Neville is thinly grasping at straws or maybe he is just a bitter rag

I think the second option is, from a football fan's perspective, as exciting as counting beans in the way of tablet partnership deals and other such nonsense. Not that it can't be a nice side effect of a succesful academy, but surely number one is the goal here? If not, I would seriously question the judgement of our shot-callers.

Personally, I think that the academy is doing fine for now. The problem is in the English youth football system and outsider expectations (supporters, media, so-called experts). You can't really judge these kids as they only play v other kids (and after a certain age only occasionally at all) or inferior opposition (2nd Dutch leage or similar), so you either throw them into the first team or leave the outside world wondering if there's any point to this massive academy at all.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:55 pm

From what i saw the other day (interview with one of the FA Youth Cups squad), 4 or 5 of the academy lads are going on the US tour with a view to staking a claim of joining the first team next season.

Personally i think Pep has had enough to deal with since arriving, so not bringing them through this season, to me has been understandable. If he keeps to his word then those 4 or 5 players really do need to seize their moment.

For what it is worth, the lad interviewed said that Pep is always watching the academy and if not in person makes sure he catches up with the video footage club shoot.

I don't know if Doug/Craig/WW et al have ever seen him at the home games to know how true this is?

As for the rags, they're facilities are light years behind as others have said and they really don't have the cash to expedite their academy anytime soon.

The academy as a whole, i suspect the club are realistic about its role, it's a percentage thing, by making it the best and maintaining its status we will attract the best prospects from around the world of which we get first dib's, then a next tier down who can be sold (with % sell on clauses) making the place self sufficient or even better providing a revenue stream.

No academy will be in a position where every 18 or under will become professional, let alone play to the level we aspire to.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Pep was there the other night and you could see him in the reception room going mad when Nmrcha missed those chances in the first half.
I watch when I can on Facebook and have seen him at several home games.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:34 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Pep was there the other night and you could see him in the reception room going mad when Nmrcha missed those chances in the first half.

Well that has to be encouraging IWT?
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Justified logic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:33 pm

I can't see us bringing on young kids as long as they have to go to some 2nd tier league, be it Spain II, Holland (II ffs!), Turkey or Scotland to get some first team game time playing god knows what system. What we really need is a tame Championship team that plays the same way as us and will regularly take several of our youngsters, who can then learn the professional game and their fellow City loanees' game as well.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:20 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Pep was there the other night and you could see him in the reception room going mad when Nmrcha missed those chances in the first half.

Pep could save himself a lot of time and trouble by having a weekly meeting with our own Mr H, who would certainly give him a good run-down on the strengths, weaknesses and capabilities of our Academy hopefuls.

Mr H may no longer have the use of his ladder, but he certainly could keep Pep on the right track. ;) ;)
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum