Patrick Roberts reportedly going to Celtic on loan

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Patrick Roberts reportedly going to Celtic on loan

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:47 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Spurge wrote:Celtic booed off today after drawing with ross county at home. This follows the cup semi final exit v rangers and general poor form. Roberts played today by all accounts Celtic were awful. Is this really the best place for him to develop his career?

i don't believe it ever is if you aspire to the top top top levels.

He'd do much better at a Spanish or Italian or German team in the bottom half of the table.

Running around in Cloggersville isn't going to make him better imho. Waste of fucking time.

cheers

Yet playing in Spain or Italy would? Not too sure about that. Scottish football, despite how shit it is, is a lot closer to the rough and tumble of the Prem than either of those two will ever be.

Look if we want to sell him to Stoke or WBA or Everton then maybe putting him in the shop window in Scotland is fine.

However, if he's worth a shit he should be in a real league with real fucking professional footballers. End of story for me dude. Sorry. I'd rather he was sitting in Fulham in the Champo because it's a far more realistic test of Prem-worthiness than Scotland.

cheers

It's around the same level if we're being honest.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:50 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Spurge wrote:Celtic booed off today after drawing with ross county at home. This follows the cup semi final exit v rangers and general poor form. Roberts played today by all accounts Celtic were awful. Is this really the best place for him to develop his career?

i don't believe it ever is if you aspire to the top top top levels.

He'd do much better at a Spanish or Italian or German team in the bottom half of the table.

Running around in Cloggersville isn't going to make him better imho. Waste of fucking time.

cheers

Yet playing in Spain or Italy would? Not too sure about that. Scottish football, despite how shit it is, is a lot closer to the rough and tumble of the Prem than either of those two will ever be.

Look if we want to sell him to Stoke or WBA or Everton then maybe putting him in the shop window in Scotland is fine.

However, if he's worth a shit he should be in a real league with real fucking professional footballers. End of story for me dude. Sorry. I'd rather he was sitting in Fulham in the Champo because it's a far more realistic test of Prem-worthiness than Scotland.

cheers

It's around the same level if we're being honest.

It's not. 5 years ago Celtuc could get the last 16 in Europe and would comfortably be a middle table EPL side. Now they wouldn't get out of the Championship and probably only Aberdeen and maybe Hearts could survive at that level. The rest are League 1-2 level.

Which makes Roberts form since joining Celtic most worrying.

If he was a really good player but not good enough for City he would stand out like a sore thumb in the SPL. Much like Denayer did.

He's been average at best. Doesn't even look like a player that would play lower Premiership level.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:09 pm

I think what Celtic give him is a team used to having the ball and trying to beat a team who just defend and the pressure of expectation.

For Celtic to be struggling to win a one team league says a lot about the manager and I'm not surprised he's decided to jump before it gets (slightly) more competitive next season. Hopefully they get someone who can develop Roberts as he seems a typical winger - brilliant in flashes and anonymous at times
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:36 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:I think what Celtic give him is a team used to having the ball and trying to beat a team who just defend and the pressure of expectation.

For Celtic to be struggling to win a one team league says a lot about the manager and I'm not surprised he's decided to jump before it gets (slightly) more competitive next season. Hopefully they get someone who can develop Roberts as he seems a typical winger - brilliant in flashes and anonymous at times

I think your point about Scotland has easily been disproven by our pet jock so I will ignore that part of it.

Lemme ask you this tho... Why do you think Roberts is a "winger?"

That's an honest question. Not a dig.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:36 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:I think what Celtic give him is a team used to having the ball and trying to beat a team who just defend and the pressure of expectation.

I think your point about Scotland has easily been disproven by our pet jock so I will ignore that part of it.

Cheers

Roberts only plays on the wing? I have not seen him play anywhere else?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:39 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

Cheers

He didn't make any point about Scotland?

And btw is it only jocks that can have an opinion on Scottish football?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Dameerto » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:51 pm

I get the feeling it was the manager that City had a relationship with rather than the club, so if he's out at the end of the season we might not see anyone being loaned out. Lets hope Roberts had some kind of clause in his contract that meant we could bring him back if they replaced their manager.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:13 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

Cheers

Not sure what the Scotland point is, other than it's a one team league currently. However, that brings pressure of beating shit teams who don't want to play football - something we regularly face.

From what I've seen of Roberts, he plays on the wing, hence I assume he's a winger. But maybe he's a goalie and Celtic are just taking the piss out of their opponents. Not saying he couldn't play elsewhere across the front, but why don't you think he a winger?

Chairs
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:23 pm

Watching a little bit of the ICC and Celtic are playing Leicester.
Our guy Patrick looks pretty good. Think Pep will like him quite alot in 2017-2018
Saul Goodman

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Scored a nice goal and played well from what I saw.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:35 am

Would prefer to see him at someone like Hull or maybe Newcastle or Norwich. The standard of football would be much better and we could get a better gauge of what Roberts is about.

That said he has scored some nice goals.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Im From Manchester » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:48 am

Not happy that Rodgers has taken over, I don't believe that he will look after his best interests.
Im From Manchester
Carlo Nash's Debut

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:53 pm

Having a good game for Celtic in the CL away at Astana. Assist for the away goal and according to report from SKY, Celtics biggest threat
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby sheblue » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:08 pm

Im From Manchester wrote:Not happy that Rodgers has taken over, I don't believe that he will look after his best interests.

Rogers will play him a lot this season I reckon. Rogers like all managers needs results he will play his best players and Patrick is surely among his better ones.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:33 am

sheblue wrote:
Im From Manchester wrote:Not happy that Rodgers has taken over, I don't believe that he will look after his best interests.

Rogers will play him a lot this season I reckon. Rogers like all managers needs results he will play his best players and Patrick is surely among his better ones.

Totally agree with that, Rodgers knows he needs his best talent performing. Plus Rodgers might be a cunt, but he showed faith in, and got a tune out of Sterling which the undead one largely failed to do last season.

I think Roberts will have a good season with a supportive manager, and will end this season with a very big reputation from his exploits in Scotland
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:10 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
sheblue wrote:

Totally agree with that, Rodgers knows he needs his best talent performing. Plus Rodgers might be a cunt, but he showed faith in, and got a tune out of Sterling which the undead one largely failed to do last season.

I think Roberts will have a good season with a supportive manager, and will end this season with a very big reputation from his exploits in Scotland

And will come back to us eligible to be included on our CL b list having been registered with the club 2 years, there's method to the madness.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum