Patrick Roberts reportedly going to Celtic on loan

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Patrick Roberts reportedly going to Celtic on loan

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:27 am

Quite a few Scottish papers are reporting he is going on loan to Celtic, 12-18 month loan depending on which paper you read.

Can't really make any sense of it at all, particularly if at for that duration of time. We have a good working relationship with Celtic (their Chairman's son also works for City) but the players we have sent their way of late were unproven at a decent level. We already know that Roberts was a stand out prospect in the Championship which is a higher level than the SPL.

Fair enough he may get quite a few games in Europe but I thought he had a decent chance of breaking through into our first team in the near future. Surely a loan overseas or at a lower level Premiership team would make more sense.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Re: Patrick Roberts reportedly going to Celtic on loan

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:18 am

Not sure what to make of this one.

He is still 18 so I think in this case it is a genuine 'get experience' loan. The club made some considerable expense and effort to get him, so it would be a bit of a calamity if they had a look and then decided he wasn't up to it. Someone mentioned he had an injury niggle or two?

One of the big problems of the whole PL set up is that these guys dont get games, unless they are selected ahead of, say, Sterling or Navas. That's not going to happen yet so they just stagnate.

Hopefully this loan is a way of keeping up his development before he can break in. It's when people use the word 'development' for 21 and 22 year olds I have to have a little chuckle.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:27 pm

Decent loan I think as he will get games. The actual standard of opposition might not be the best but they will at least be adults trying to kick him and stop him. I would hope it will buold his confidence up as I can only see him as a success story.

Not sure I like the idea of 18 months there but I thought I read somewhere the prospect of 12 months at Galatasary after the spell at Celtic? I think he is a special talent and want to see him back with us ripping up defences. He might be a Pep type player?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby sheblue » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:03 pm

Why 18 or even 12 months? Why not just until the end of the season, then take another look at the situation/progress in pre-season.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby PeterParker » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:13 pm

I think there might be a clause in the contract and we can recall him.

Pep is a manager that will use our youth and Roberts might be his surprise in the next years.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:16 pm

i'm not convinced Pep is coming, and i'm kind of bored of reading it as if it was fact.

Anyone else or am I on a grumpy island of one today?

with a cheery wave,
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby PeterParker » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:28 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:i'm not convinced Pep is coming, and i'm kind of bored of reading it as if it was fact.

with a cheery wave,

It's not you, it's me.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:41 pm

I don't think we send youngsters to Celtic rather than the Championship because of the standard of SPL footy. The real benefit of sending him there is to get him used to dealing with pressure and expectation. Although the league is a procession for Celtic, he'll be playing in front of 50,000 demanding fans and he'll be under much closer scrutiny than he would back at Fulham, for example, or turning out for the EDS. This will be good preparation for his future career with us.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:46 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:I don't think we send youngsters to Celtic rather than the Championship because of the standard of SPL footy. The real benefit of sending him there is to get him used to dealing with pressure and expectation. Although the league is a procession for Celtic, he'll be playing in front of 50,000 demanding fans and he'll be under much closer scrutiny than he would back at Fulham, for example, or turning out for the EDS. This will be good preparation for his future career with us.

We obviously trust Deila too, a relationship going back to his days in charge of Strømsgodset.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:44 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:I don't think we send youngsters to Celtic rather than the Championship because of the standard of SPL footy. The real benefit of sending him there is to get him used to dealing with pressure and expectation. Although the league is a procession for Celtic, he'll be playing in front of 50,000 demanding fans and he'll be under much closer scrutiny than he would back at Fulham, for example, or turning out for the EDS. This will be good preparation for his future career with us.

We obviously trust Deila too, a relationship going back to his days in charge of Strømsgodset.

Excellent point.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby CTID Hants » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:48 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:

Excellent point.

Furthermore there will be Chumps league experience too.........
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby CTID Hants » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:00 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:i'm not convinced Pep is coming, and i'm kind of bored of reading it as if it was fact.

with a cheery wave,

Nope, absolutely with you 1000% It is clear that The Count (unless something seriously goes wrong) is clearly here until at least the end of this season.

Pep has NOT committed himself to us and the board (to my knowledge) have not even acknowledged his availability.

It seems that some of our posters/fans would rather believe all the BS in the press over actual facts (of which there are absolutely fooking NONE).

Honestly, some of the current Count haters wouldn't be, IF the "messiah of football" wasn't available.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:53 pm

CTID Hants wrote:

with a cheery wave,

Nope, absolutely with you 1000% It is clear that The Count (unless something seriously goes wrong) is clearly here until at least the end of this season.

Pep has NOT committed himself to us and the board (to my knowledge) have not even acknowledged his availability.

It seems that some of our posters/fans would rather believe all the BS in the press over actual facts (of which there are absolutely fooking NONE).

Honestly, some of the current Count haters wouldn't be, IF the "messiah of football" wasn't available.

well here's the thing for me...i'm currently a Count hater. And before that i was a Mancini-hater (previously a LICKER tho!), and a Sparky-hater prior to that, tho i defended him until it was just one draw too many from the fuck.

SOOOOOOOOO....it's not about Pep being available for me. It's about the current manager having zero ability to get more from a talented squad. I'd have been very very very very fucking happy with the Count being sacked a month or two ago and Ancelotti being brought in. Very happy. I would have preferred that change right now to Pep in the summer in fact. Ancelotti has won everyone he's been. No one like him really, bar the Cunty Special One imho. But his approach is way way classier than Joe Say. Plus he likes a sneaky fag now and then. Bonus!

Anyway for me it's not about Pep's availability, but about the Count's ability to influence the dressing room and the results on the pitch. For me this year's injuries also play a factor. Players are injured a lot less when they give two fucks about the gaffer's success. That's why Mancini hated injured players. He knows that as a player and a manager. You're a professional. Unless you've done your ACL or broken a fucking bone in the lower half of your body, then figure it the fuck out after a couple weeks, or fuck the fuck off.

Anyway, i digress. Ish.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:59 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:

with a cheery wave,

well here's the thing for me...i'm currently a Count hater. And before that i was a Mancini-hater (previously a LICKER tho!), and a Sparky-hater prior to that, tho i defended him until it was just one draw too many from the fuck.

SOOOOOOOOO....it's not about Pep being available for me. It's about the current manager having zero ability to get more from a talented squad. I'd have been very very very very fucking happy with the Count being sacked a month or two ago and Ancelotti being brought in. Very happy. I would have preferred that change right now to Pep in the summer in fact. Ancelotti has won everyone he's been. No one like him really, bar the Cunty Special One imho. But his approach is way way classier than Joe Say. Plus he likes a sneaky fag now and then. Bonus!

Anyway for me it's not about Pep's availability, but about the Count's ability to influence the dressing room and the results on the pitch. For me this year's injuries also play a factor. Players are injured a lot less when they give two fucks about the gaffer's success. That's why Mancini hated injured players. He knows that as a player and a manager. You're a professional. Unless you've done your ACL or broken a fucking bone in the lower half of your body, then figure it the fuck out after a couple weeks, or fuck the fuck off.

Anyway, i digress. Ish.

cheers

You think players are faking hamstring and calf strains/pulls? Are their scans being doctored ( pun intended )?

Put the crack pipe down Doomie.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:41 pm

Agree about the pressure. Additionally, he'll get used to playing against teams who have no intention of trying to win the game, just not lose it too badly.

The EDS isn't enough of a challenge before the PL, so we have to get them chance to get kicked up and down by talentless journeymen. If they can stand up to that and still play football, they'll make it. If not, they can replace Nasri.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:14 pm

A good move. He will win a title and possibly a cup or two in his time there. He will play in front of big crowds at Parkhead and play in Europe. He will play against players who are little more than drunk thugs disguised at footballers who sole sim will be to kick seven bells of shit out of him.

All these things will help him grow as a man and as a player, both of which will benefit us.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:37 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:

with a cheery wave,

Anyway, i digress. Ish.

cheers

You think players are faking hamstring and calf strains/pulls? Are their scans being doctored ( pun intended )?

It's not about faking you fucknut.

When you're on the boss's side you walk through fucking walls for him. When you're indifferent you sit in a fucking ice bath and train on your own and fuck off for two extra weeks until your 110% sure.

Get it?

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:46 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:

with a cheery wave,

Anyway, i digress. Ish.

cheers

It's not about faking you fucknut.

When you're on the boss's side you walk through fucking walls for him. When you're indifferent you sit in a fucking ice bath and train on your own and fuck off for two extra weeks until your 110% sure.

Get it?

Cheers

If anything more of our players have come back too early from injury and fucked themselves up again so no I don't get it.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:57 pm

I don't see it myself. He has done very little to progress players from a fairly decent youth academy at Celtic and was somehow managed to do the impossible and give the SPL a competitive feel to it this season.
ross.mcfc

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:06 am

ross.mcfc wrote:

I don't see it myself. He has done very little to progress players from a fairly decent youth academy at Celtic and was somehow managed to do the impossible and give the SPL a competitive feel to it this season.

They're 6 points clear with a goal difference of +44.....
I'd take that kind of competitiveness now.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum