Midfield

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Midfield

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:15 am

Dubciteh wrote:
sniffer wrote:Pep likes to move players about Company or Stones could play that roll

Wont be enough. Its crucial to peps plans just as full backs are. Yaya is the best we have to play that role and hes 400 years old. And even if he was peak yaya im not sure his strengths suit that role.

Busquets would be my number 1 signing if i could choose any player in the world outside of Messi. He is what we need more than anything.

Out of curiosity mate, what is you see in Gundogan or rather what you don't see that makes him unsuitable for that role?( apart from him being fit enough to get on the pitch in the first place of course ).

I know he hasn't played as a sole pivot previously but for me he has the attributes to play Pep's version of it, I think he's actually better suited to it than Fernandinho is because of his superior passing ability.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:
sniffer wrote:Pep likes to move players about Company or Stones could play that roll

Wont be enough. Its crucial to peps plans just as full backs are. Yaya is the best we have to play that role and hes 400 years old. And even if he was peak yaya im not sure his strengths suit that role.

Busquets would be my number 1 signing if i could choose any player in the world outside of Messi. He is what we need more than anything.

Out of curiosity mate, what is you see in Gundogan or rather what you don't see that makes him unsuitable for that role?( apart from him being fit enough to get on the pitch in the first place of course ).

I know he hasn't played as a sole pivot previously but for me he has the attributes to play Pep's version of it, I think he's actually better suited to it than Fernandinho is because of his superior passing ability.

I just dont think he has enough defensive qualities to be able to do it, im also not sure he is that great with his back to goal which will be required when taking the ball from deep from the keeper. There just small points though, he could play there as he is an intelligent footballer im just of the opinion hes more effective further forward. Preferably who ever plays that position for us would be tall(good in the air like sibieriski!!!) to help deal with long balls when teams launch it once we press.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:26 am

johnny crossan wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:Bit of a poser is this. With Delph and Fernando left off the tour to negotiate with new clubs and Aleix Garcia loaned to Girona we are a couple of CM/DMs short.
I wonder who is incoming - or is a conversion in prospect?

We generally just play with one holding mid so we're well covered in Yaya, Fernandinho and Gundogan.

so we have one player who we can rely on to give us 90 mins week in week out to cover a key position? awesome.

No, we have three players who can rotate for one position. Do you not believe it would be a struggle to accommodate another?

They are three completely different players and none are the defensive pivot Pep has used in his previous teams. Two are well past their prime and the other is recovering from a series of serious injuries.

Moreover, Fernandhino may still have to fulfill subsidiary defensive duties at full back, at some point during the season, depending upon which other defenders we bring in - or don't - during this summer.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:29 am

Dubciteh wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

I just dont think he has enough defensive qualities to be able to do it, im also not sure he is that great with his back to goal which will be required when taking the ball from deep from the keeper. There just small points though, he could play there as he is an intelligent footballer im just of the opinion hes more effective further forward. Preferably who ever plays that position for us would be tall(good in the air like sibieriski!!!) to help deal with long balls when teams launch it once we press.

Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from. Thanks for the response, I asked Phips a similar question last summer ( as being a Dortmund fan I believed he would be well placed to answer) but he didn't have the decency to acknowledge it.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:45 am

Dubciteh wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from. Thanks for the response, I asked Phips a similar question last summer ( as being a Dortmund fan I believed he would be well placed to answer) but he didn't have the decency to acknowledge it.

Probably still formulating his answer!

My issue is i have no idea who that player should or will be! I cant wait for season to start to see where it all fits.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Nickyboy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:47 am

I think Dave might be our deepest lying midfield player this season. With Bernie and KDB in front.

All out attack and 99% possession will be our defence
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:22 pm

Nickyboy wrote:I think Dave might be our deepest lying midfield player this season. With Bernie and KDB in front.

You may well be right.

I always reckoned that Silva, when he got older, would start to play in a deeper role and, in effect, would become a sort of new Pirlo for us.

It would still be more beneficial for him though, playing in such a way, if he had a proper 'knuckler' alongside, for those occasions in a game when we might have to 'dig in'.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:I think Dave might be our deepest lying midfield player this season. With Bernie and KDB in front.

You may well be right.

I always reckoned that Silva, when he got older, would start to play in a deeper role and, in effect, would become a sort of new Pirlo for us.

It would still be more beneficial for him though, playing in such a way, if he had a proper 'knuckler' alongside, for those occasions in a game when we might have to 'dig in'.

dave 'skinhead' silva doesn't need a knuckler alongside him....
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Saul Goodman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

You may well be right.

it's possible but do you see Silva as a player to ping long balls around as Pirlo used to?
it seems like Silva likes the reverse pass, the slide rule pass, and other passes along the ground. from a deeper position those types of passes will most likely only serve to get the ball forward to Bernardo and KDB or whoever else.

De Bruyne seems like a better fit given his ability to spray the ball around the pitch. but i dont like the idea of him so far from the opposition's goal.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Dameerto » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

You may well be right.

it's possible but do you see Silva as a player to ping long balls around as Pirlo used to?
it seems like Silva likes the reverse pass, the slide rule pass, and other passes along the ground. from a deeper position those types of passes will most likely only serve to get the ball forward to Bernardo and KDB or whoever else.

De Bruyne seems like a better fit given his ability to spray the ball around the pitch. but i dont like the idea of him so far from the opposition's goal.

Silva creates - he spots team mates moving almost before they've decided to move - he could do that from deeper. He's shown he is adaptable with how well (and how quickly) he took to the Prem when he joined us so I think he has it in him. He still has a lot to offer further forward for now though.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Justified logic » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:29 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

You may well be right.

Silva creates - he spots team mates moving almost before they've decided to move - he could do that from deeper. He's shown he is adaptable with how well (and how quickly) he took to the Prem when he joined us so I think he has it in him. He still has a lot to offer further forward for now though.

You guys are forgetting longball knuckler Aleksandar Kolarov, Mr Versatility. ;)
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

You may well be right.

Spot on D.

Personally, I don't think there's anything on a football pitch, that David Silva can't do, where it involves using the skill that he has.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:55 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

You may well be right.

You guys are forgetting longball knuckler Aleksandar Kolarov, Mr Versatility. ;)

Indeed, apart from anything else, Mase would never allow us to forget him.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:19 am

johnny crossan wrote:Bit of a poser is this. With Delph and Fernando left off the tour to negotiate with new clubs and Aleix Garcia loaned to Girona we are a couple of CM/DMs short.

We generally just play with one holding mid so we're well covered in Yaya, Fernandinho and Gundogan.

We generally play with one holding midfielder and at least one box-to-box midfielder. Those three players are the only ones vacating those two positions. Depthnis definitely needed there. Starting quality is good enough though.

During the offseason people always look at potemtial starting XI when in reality we never have the luxury to pick that best XI.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:03 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

We generally play with one holding midfielder and at least one box-to-box midfielder. Those three players are the only ones vacating those two positions. Depthnis definitely needed there. Starting quality is good enough though.

During the offseason people always look at potemtial starting XI when in reality we never have the luxury to pick that best XI.

We generally went with one holding with Debruyne and Silva ahead of them. One of KDB/Silva played deeper than the other, that was Silva for the first half of the season and around the Monaco away (2nd half) that changed to Debruyne and seemed to stay that way for the rest of the season.

If we're to take it that was a box to box role then we can add Bernardo as a box to box option too.

So essentially our midfield options would be

Holding mid: Fernandinho, Yaya, Gundogan

Box to box: Gundogan, Debruyne, Silva, Bernardo

Attacking mid: the same as box to box options and include Sanchez if we get him.

Enough quality? Debatable particularly in holding mid

Enough depth? Absolutely, 6 players for 3 positions with the possible addition of a 7th that can cover one of them positions.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 am

I think midfield is the least of our worries. We need numbers in defense badly and an injury to Agüero or Jesus will see us playing De Bruyne up front again sooner rather than later.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:21 am

interesting in the context of this discussion

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby pepsi_dave » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:38 am

fangsanalsatan wrote:Image

I think midfield is the least of our worries. We need numbers in defense badly and an injury to Agüero or Jesus will see us playing De Bruyne up front again sooner rather than later.

Pretty much agree with your summation of playing positions etc. I just want to throw something into the ring so to speak.

I wonder if Pep will look to use Stones in the pivot position. Ticks the right boxes, strong and good with the ball at his feet, and his passing isn't that bad either. Stones looks a bit naive as an out-and-out CB but just wonder whether he's got the right attributes to do will in the pivot role, thus adding more depth to that position at the same time.

Personally I think in that position he is more likely to get away with the little mistakes that he seems quite susceptible to making, whereas at centre half any mistakes usually result in a goal.
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:05 pm

pepsi_dave wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:Image

Pretty much agree with your summation of playing positions etc. I just want to throw something into the ring so to speak.

I wonder if Pep will look to use Stones in the pivot position. Ticks the right boxes, strong and good with the ball at his feet, and his passing isn't that bad either. Stones looks a bit naive as an out-and-out CB but just wonder whether he's got the right attributes to do will in the pivot role, thus adding more depth to that position at the same time.

Personally I think in that position he is more likely to get away with the little mistakes that he seems quite susceptible to making, whereas at centre half any mistakes usually result in a goal.

fwiw he played there for eng and looked rubbish.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Any news on when Gundogan will be fit?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

PreviousNext