RIP 'The Eithad'

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

RIP 'The Eithad'

Postby Nick » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:33 pm

Worst its been today for me.

First time my row/row behind having to sit down in the 'standing section'.

New showsec at villa started it with the letters, we all couldn't make WBA and seems they muscled in.

Empty seats, non city fan tourists couldnt shift my mates for free in the end.

Everyone ''saving themselves'' for Tuesday and blues ripping other blues off selling their tickets.

Not for me if it carries on, where to move to?

South stand has killed it for me

everyones moved to the cheap seats, 3 tiers of standing up and they don't muster a single song all game.

DEAD

and the result was 4-0....................
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Re: RIP 'The Eithad'

Postby PrezIke » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:50 pm

Nick wrote:Worst its been today for me.

New showsec at villa started it with the letters, we all couldn't make WBA and seems they muscled in.

Everyone ''saving themselves'' for Tuesday and blues ripping other blues off selling their tickets.

everyones moved to the cheap seats, 3 tiers of standing up and they don't muster a single song all game.

DEAD

Could see this as what was behind the atmosphere, yet this game was also supposed to be tomorrow and we at least know mr_nool couldn't go as a result.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:18 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Nick wrote:Worst its been today for me.

DEAD

Could see this as what was behind the atmosphere, yet this game was also supposed to be tomorrow and we at least know mr_nool couldn't go as a result.

At least nooly got to see 4 goals.enjoy 2 of them an take the piss out of his brother.

I don't know what you expected nick. I would have had today's attendance and atmosphere nailed on. We were playing 6 fingered stoke and their 11 men behind the ball boring football. It was easy and even didn't get out of 2nd gear.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:46 pm

I thought it was embarrassing today. Never seen so many empty seats. People seem only arsed about the big games now. No atmosphere, shit loads of kids and day trippers. I had to watch the game in the new stand. Garbage. Never again will I give up my seat in 111 to sit anywhere else in the ground.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby City64 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:49 pm

Don't know what the poster wants or expects for his match day experience with this post ? Today was a before the "lord mayors show" sort of thing and where I am 121 they stand up all the time just before the isle next me in windy fucking corner (freezing again today) . It was only Stoke today and there fans are shit tbh and easy pickings for our lot either side of them who warmed up for Tuesday with some usual great piss take second half . Never fancied South stand myself although only just around the corner from it , my lad has a season card for 115 and he loves it there and never had any problems with any of the dicks from showcase .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby failsworthblue » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:22 pm

Going to the game is a different world now.

Success brings it and we have to get used to it.

Our owner has delivered something we have all wanted for the last 40yrs and it is going to go to another level next season.

I love it in the South Stand £ 299 to see everything I have ever dreamed off.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:42 am

I was home over the weekend and passed up the opportunity of both using my season ticket for the first time in a few years, and then a few hours before the game, corporate hospitality. The truth, I just couldn't be arsed.

The matchday 'experience' for as long as I remember at the Etihad has been as corporate and sterile as I'm sure it's possible for football to be. I honestly don't envisage ever going again to a home game, and I reckon amongst my mates, it's only force of habit that sees most renewing their season tickets year after year.

It feels awful to complain about our situation being the main factor in this malaise, but I really do think that the expectation of a win these days also blunts the point of going to a game, back in the days before winning the league a win really meant something and could be celebrated, now it's just expected and you end up really pissed off if we don't.

I feel like a real cunt for writing that I feel like that, but I reckon it sums up the feeling of loads who go to games now out of a sense of duty, and explains a lot about the atmosphere
Last edited by Im_Spartacus on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:19 am

It's a hard life Sparty.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:28 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:It's a hard life Sparty.

Do you not get the feeling that many of the people at games, probably would rather be somewhere else, but just keep going because that's just what they've always done?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:32 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:

Do you not get the feeling that many of the people at games, probably would rather be somewhere else, but just keep going because that's just what they've always done?

I don't get to many games, probably two a year if I'm lucky now, although it could be less now that my missus is pregnant again, so I'm not really in a place to comment.

If I was in a position where I could afford a seasoncard but felt like you do I would think it's time to pass on the baton to the next generation and wouldn't renew.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:35 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

I don't get to many games, probably two a year if I'm lucky now, although it could be less now that my missus is pregnant again, so I'm not really in a place to comment.

If I was in a position where I could afford a seasoncard but felt like you do I would think it's time to pass on the baton to the next generation and wouldn't renew.

Yeah, this will be the last year for me. I kept it on after I left for Saudi as my mates dad used it so they could sit together, but he passed away a few months back so little sense keeping it now.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:44 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:

I think there are groups of people like this. I still enjoy going but now prefer going to away games if I can. I wish we could get an atmosphere going at the ground but we just cant seem to sustain it. I don't know what the answer is if being honest? Is there an answer, is this just modern day football now??
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:58 am

Sister of fu wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

I think there are groups of people like this. I still enjoy going but now prefer going to away games if I can. I wish we could get an atmosphere going at the ground but we just cant seem to sustain it. I don't know what the answer is if being honest? Is there an answer, is this just modern day football now??

I think it is modern day football for those clubs at the top of the pile. We are spoiled, we know that 95% of the time we will win, and most of those it's a matter of how many we score - excitement comes from uncertainty, from the unpredictable, not from watching a procession. Perhaps it's the curse of success, although of course we have always struggled for an atmosphere at the Etihad.

I still love away games, I would go to away games every week. To some extent it bears out the observation above, away games are less of a certainty aren't they so there's more at stake, plus most of the away fans are full of ale which always makes for a better craic.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:01 am

I enjoy the games still, I still get the buzz that I have always had around the Derby and the other big games. It does seem like we as fans, cant be arsed for the lesser teams like Stoke and swansea etc. It not just the Etihad though, is the same at the swamp, Klanfield, Woodison Park, Stamford Bridge... there are few grounds buzzing. Obviously Leicester and Spurs are bouncing at the moment because of the lofty heights they find themselves at, even Selhurst park was like a graveyard when they were on that awful run of results.

I just think its the way football is nowadays.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:23 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Yeah, this will be the last year for me. I kept it on after I left for Saudi as my mates dad used it so they could sit together, but he passed away a few months back so little sense keeping it now.

I'm like FIBD, can't really comment on SC holders. Try to make a couple a season maybe three in a year. For me it's the joy of my thirteen year old. He's part of the next generation as I see it, even though he can't go every week obviously.
There does come a time when you do get jaded and the baton does need to be passed on. It happened me and my mate following the Irish team. We just got to the stage where we thought the FAI were taking the piss out of us with pricing for third rate friendlies. We didn't renew and I've been to very few since. The ones I have gone to have been with my son. It's not the same with City so probably not a great analogy.
I do think you need a new generation coming up together to freshen things. (same with the team)
Away days were always best and I'd imagine it's the same at every club. You have the hard core of support that follow the team everywhere. They have to organise to get to the match so they are there to enjoy themselves. You don't half heartedly decide to go to an away match. A few brews with your mates and the vocal chords always work better with the lubrication.

I have noticed it quiet around me at a few matches even compared to a couple of years ago. But I don't have a regular spot. I sit wherever I can get tickets. Usually in the family stand. I'm up in the third tier of the south stand tomorrow and hope the place will be rocking.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:50 am

Real Madrid always expect to win , so do Bayern , so do numerous other teams in Europe yet their support is loud and buzzing.

Our fans are fuckign shite when it comes to prolonged vocal support - it must be a generation issue.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:56 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Real Madrid always expect to win , so do Bayern , so do numerous other teams in Europe yet their support is loud and buzzing.

Our fans are fuckign shite when it comes to prolonged vocal support - it must be a generation issue.

Read a survey a while back that said we had the oldest fan base on average so there could be something in what Sparty is saying.

Just like the first team squad we need an injection of youth to bring an enthusiasm, the issue there is the young 'uns can't afford season tickets.

I think safe standing areas need to be brought in too, there's always a more tribal feel when you're standing from my experience.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby City64 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:58 am

Nothing has changed for me still love it and still love the buzz . I do an all day jobbie of home games so get the buzz of the city center before and after the game . The first home game of this season v Chelsea was the best atmosphere I have personally experienced ever at the Etihad sadly for some reason maybe our poor league form it has never come close to it since . Next season with pep promises to bring everything to another level for sure and certainly NOT TO MISSED ! Onwards and upwards fellow blues and win or lose have a booze ! :-D
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby john@staustell » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:18 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Real Madrid always expect to win , so do Bayern , so do numerous other teams in Europe yet their support is loud and buzzing.

Read a survey a while back that said we had the oldest fan base on average so there could be something in what Sparty is saying.

Just like the first team squad we need an injection of youth to bring an enthusiasm, the issue there is the young 'uns can't afford season tickets.

I think safe standing areas need to be brought in too, there's always a more tribal feel when you're standing from my experience.

We have to catch up for 30 years of dross - 30 years of not getting any new fans at all except for those forced to by family allegiance. You dont have to be Einstein to explain why we have the oldest fan base.

That is a big thing to catch up. We will reap the benefit of our success in the next 10, 20, 30 years, but in the meantime for fucks sake chill out.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:13 pm

Agree with alot of the above.

Its so frustrating. I still get the buzz about going to a City game, I remember when I didn't have a season ticket at Maine Road, and the buzz of getting a ticket. But now, we dread it slightly due to the influx of tourist fans this season and Showsec's desire to ruin 'the matchday experience'.

Success - as Carl's writely states above, Munich, Dortmund etc etc all have fortresses. Success should not mean the atmosphere gets even worse, it should be the opposite. While I agree, there is an expectation of a win, goals, I still cheer every goal as if it is a decisive match winner. The atmosphere has been shit since we've moved grounds. I was never lucky enough to have a season ticket at Maine Road; I had to sit in the other stands. It was a bit crap their, but you could clearly hear the whole of the Kippax (thats AFTER the real/standing Kippax).

Since moving, we've tried to get pockets going, from South stand, to north/east corner, to 110/111 to back to the South.

My issue with tourists is that they are not interested in the game or city and so don't contribute anything.

My issue with City/showsec is that they are making things worse. I move a row back and block over every year. Every year showsec decide that standing starts further and further back. I moved to the side where every person stands. Since WBA; Showsec have decided that our row is now allowed to stand; despire every row behind standing, and wanting to. City's stance is safety'. How can this be truie when everyone is stood up just seats away and we have a full 3 tier stand stood up?

The most puzzling question is why the south stand is so crap. All the 'hardcore' that stood near me last year, moved to the south because of 1) money and 2) to stand. It is now silent. I wanted to stay in 110/109; to keep the atmosphere going. Whats the point in the problem moving and getting worse?

In reality there will be a mad scramble for tickets further back in 109 and in 110/111 and there isn't enough seats.

Surely thats says something to City? People want to be in this area and they want at atmosphere. There are enough empty seats all over the ground to house newbies that don't necessarily want to stand or sing.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum