The Curious Case of Jason Denayer

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Curious Case of Jason Denayer

Postby PeterParker » Sun May 29, 2016 9:15 am

phips wrote:even with Kompany injured Wilmots left Denayer on the bench nine favor of Witsel at right-back vs. Switzerland. thats a bit shocking.
however, it's just a friendly so he could be experimenting.

Wow. Witsel? Axel Witsel?

This is might be the oddest decision I saw in years. It is like putting Big Dave as a right back.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun May 29, 2016 10:07 am

phips wrote:even with Kompany injured Wilmots left Denayer on the bench nine favor of Witsel at right-back vs. Switzerland. thats a bit shocking.

The Witsel at right back is odd but the fact Denayer didn't feature was expected wasn't it? What was it two days ago he was playing the Turkish cup final?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun May 29, 2016 10:10 am

john@staustell wrote:Amazes me how so many people think he is the new messiah. The new Ade Mike defensive version.. You'd have thought his dodgy outing in Australia would have made people think.

I've said a lot on this madness before, but as it's been dredged up again I'll stick my neck right out - he will never get, nor be good enough to get, a game for City in the Premier league.

I couldn't possibly say one way or the other whether this guy will make it or not because I haven't see enough to make that call.

But what are you basing your opinion on John, have you seen much of him? Genuine question mate.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby phips » Sun May 29, 2016 3:21 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

The Witsel at right back is odd but the fact Denayer didn't feature was expected wasn't it? What was it two days ago he was playing the Turkish cup final?

no idea. wouldn't you have just left him at home then?
Wilmots brought on some RB that plays in MLS so it def seemed like he was experimenting. then again, he left KDB and Hazard on for the full 90
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun May 29, 2016 8:12 pm

phips wrote:

no idea. wouldn't you have just left him at home then?
Wilmots brought on some RB that plays in MLS so it def seemed like he was experimenting. then again, he left KDB and Hazard on for the full 90

No doubt he was experimenting but that wasn't the reason Denayer was left out.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Alioune DVToure » Sun May 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Every time I see this thread title, I imagine him having that Benjamin Button condition, slowly regressing towards birth.

If this was the case, do you reckon we'd do the compassionate thing and play him in the youth teams as he works his way back down or would we just bin him off and take the bad publicity on the chin?
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby PeterParker » Mon May 30, 2016 11:58 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:Every time I see this thread title, I imagine him having that Benjamin Button condition, slowly regressing towards birth.

If this was the case, do you reckon we'd do the compassionate thing and play him in the youth teams as he works his way back down or would we just bin him off and take the bad publicity on the chin?

Imagine Benjamin Button playing along side Yaya.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby john@staustell » Mon May 30, 2016 1:45 pm

john@staustell wrote:Amazes me how so many people think he is the new messiah. The new Ade Mike defensive version.. You'd have thought his dodgy outing in Australia would have made people think.

I've said a lot on this madness before, but as it's been dredged up again I'll stick my neck right out - he will never get, nor be good enough to get, a game for City in the Premier league.

I couldn't possibly say one way or the other whether this guy will make it or not because I haven't see enough to make that call.

But what are you basing your opinion on John, have you seen much of him? Genuine question mate.

Call it an anti opinion if you like mate. I haven't seen or even heard anything that makes him a PL player, let alone a centre back at one of Europe's top clubs.

Only the usual things on here that have been written about 100 players before, so I call it Ade Mike syndrome. The only justification for this syndrome is that they are from the academy, nothing more.

I do have a little evidence. He wasn't put in the first team squad but went to the hotbeds of Scotland and Turkey, which some on here see as a dastardly plot by Pellegrini and Txixi.

I have noted that Ian Nacho is not playing in Turkey. Because he's good enough to play for us!!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon May 30, 2016 1:58 pm

john@staustell wrote:

Call it an anti opinion if you like mate. I haven't seen or even heard anything that makes him a PL player, let alone a centre back at one of Europe's top clubs.

Only the usual things on here that have been written about 100 players before, so I call it Ade Mike syndrome. The only justification for this syndrome is that they are from the academy, nothing more.

I do have a little evidence. He wasn't put in the first team squad but went to the hotbeds of Scotland and Turkey, which some on here see as a dastardly plot by Pellegrini and Txixi.

I have noted that Ian Nacho is not playing in Turkey. Because he's good enough to play for us!!

Thanks for the reply John. The point you make about Nacho is a fair one.

Tbh I draw hope from the fact that the club gave him a 5 year deal last summer.

The fact that he was young player of the year in Scotland last season ( I know that's not saying much but at least it shows his talent shone through ).

And the fact that Wilmots seems to have a lot of faith in him.

One last point, I don't believe there was a nasty plot but I do think we made a mistake by not keeping him around in favour of Demichelis last season.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby john@staustell » Mon May 30, 2016 3:05 pm

Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted if he plays for us. But the odds against are very high with our now mega status.

A rag at work said to me last week about his shower that so and so was"OK". Can't even remember which, the one who looks like Beaker I think.

I said that's your problem. OK is nowhere near good enough. Both clubs need only the very best players.

On MDM he is clearly over the hill. But they only pointed out the odd howler - he's still pretty good at some things. Having watched our Jason against Real last summer, is he really an upgrade on MDM? I'll trust Txiki because he may be worse!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon May 30, 2016 3:18 pm

john@staustell wrote:Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted if he plays for us. But the odds against are very high with our now mega status.

A rag at work said to me last week about his shower that so and so was"OK". Can't even remember which, the one who looks like Beaker I think.

I said that's your problem. OK is nowhere near good enough. Both clubs need only the very best players.

On MDM he is clearly over the hill. But they only pointed out the odd howler - he's still pretty good at some things. Having watched our Jason against Real last summer, is he really an upgrade on MDM? I'll trust Txiki because he may be worse!

Denayer is a massive upgrade on MDM and so is Tosin Adarybio
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon May 30, 2016 3:21 pm

john@staustell wrote:Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted if he plays for us. But the odds against are very high with our now mega status.

Hard to argue that we need the very best but I also believe to be a truly dominant force in football it is essential to have a core of club grown players in the first team squad and as such it's imperative that we start taking gambles on youth.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Saul Goodman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:50 pm

Was Jason actually at CB today with Toby pushed out to RB? If so, thats interesting as each of them played the other's position all season
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby PrezIke » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:55 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Was Jason actually at CB today with Toby pushed out to RB? If so, thats interesting as each of them played the other's position all season

Yes.

I just skimmed the the replay, but he was paired in the middle with Vermaelen, and the two Spurs men out wide.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Alioune DVToure » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:04 am

PeterParker wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:Every time I see this thread title, I imagine him having that Benjamin Button condition, slowly regressing towards birth.

Imagine Benjamin Button playing along side Yaya.

God, that would accentuate his already tragically quick ageing process. If any player could be given a case of the Benjamin Buttons, I'd hope it was Demi. We may then get to enjoy that wonderful ponytail all over again.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:55 am

Hard to argue that we need the very best but I also believe to be a truly dominant force in football it is essential to have a core of club grown players in the first team squad and as such it's imperative that we start taking gambles on youth.

Why?

This is back to the class of 92 idiocy and also Barcas special crop are gradually retiring.

As for Real.............. Well!

Anyway looks like Laporte is the first step.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:56 am

john@staustell wrote:

Why?

This is back to the class of 92 idiocy and also Barcas special crop are gradually retiring.

As for Real.....well.....

Carvajal
Arbeloa
Jese
Lucas Vasquez

And players that are there since they're teenagers

Ramos
Marcelo
Varane
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Cocacolajojo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:28 am

How about Kane? Does anyone know how much people rated him before he started scoring in the Europa League two years ago? Of course, now everyone are saying that they saw it coming but how was it at the time? Be interesting to know, as I doubt he was as highly regarded as Iheanacho was before this season.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:50 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:How about Kane? Does anyone know how much people rated him before he started scoring in the Europa League two years ago? Of course, now everyone are saying that they saw it coming but how was it at the time? Be interesting to know, as I doubt he was as highly regarded as Iheanacho was before this season.

Ted and I debated he was gonna be a player "Ted said he was shit "
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:43 am

john@staustell wrote:

Why?

As for Real.....well.....

Carvajal
Arbeloa
Jese
Lucas Vasquez

And players that are there since they're teenagers

Ramos
Marcelo
Varane

Well I just looked at 1 - Arbeloa - and Real is his 4th club, so I'm not quite sure I'll bother with the rest..

Marcelo - signed from Fluminense.

Varane - signed from Lens

Carvajal - signed from Leverkeusen

I think I'll stop there, we're obviously talking about different things. I was talking about players who came through youth systems.
Last edited by john@staustell on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum