Ilkay Gundogan

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ilkay Gundogan

Postby nottsblue » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Very bad luck for the lad. Hope he recovers. Time will tell whether he himself will fully trust the knee again or whether he will play within himself. If it's the latter then it will be a shame as he will be far less a player for it.

Good luck in your recovery Ilkay
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:51 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:if he is out for the season, i'd be tempted to go after ross barkley in the window. the £20/25m spurs are supposedly willing to pay for him is nothing.
i think he could add the drive / energy to the middle of the park that we're missing at the moment.

Everton season ticket holder I work with reckons he has gone backwards and needs to leave now whilst they can get a decent price for him. Constantly making wrong decisions and holding on to the ball when he should be passing. Attitude issues as well apparently. He can be decent though but is he a pep player?

I thought Barkley was going tombe ace few years back but he is extremely erratic right now.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:55 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:What I want to know is , why didn't we take him off when he was struggling ? instead we waited until he completely fucked his knee up!!!

Not surprising given the below stats when fit this season:

Gündogan's played 1,230 of a possible 1,530 minutes, including starting and finishing all but two UCL games. Started 15 out of 16 all comps.

Pep played with fire.

You can't blame Pep for Gundo being injury prone. He was always out injured before he joined us. The club played with fire signning him though.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Spurge » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:21 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:What I want to know is , why didn't we take him off when he was struggling ? instead we waited until he completely fucked his knee up!!!

Gündogan's played 1,230 of a possible 1,530 minutes, including starting and finishing all but two UCL games. Started 15 out of 16 all comps.

Pep played with fire.

You can't blame Pep for Gundo being injury prone. He was always out injured before he joined us. The club played with fire signning him though.

Do you think the club signed him without discussion with pep. My understanding was that he was very much the player pep wanted. A real shame if signing a player blighted by injury has backfired and a shame for Gündogan himself.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Spurge wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Pep played with fire.

Do you think the club signed him without discussion with pep. My understanding was that he was very much the player pep wanted. A real shame if signing a player blighted by injury has backfired and a shame for Gündogan himself.

I assume Pep did have a say in Gundo and the other summer signings. I think it was a bad window for us and its legitimate to question his judgement if that is the case. However, I saw him being interviewed before the season started and he said something along the lines of looking forward to working with the new players the club had brought in. He gave the impression he was coach of the squad he was given to work with and not part of the recruitment process. That's me reading between the lines. I think the signing Cheeky has been involved in have, overall, been bloody awful over the last couple of years. He should hang his head in shame given the money spent. That makes me think Gundo may not be Pep's fault at all.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:46 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Pep played with fire.

You're correct but he should be careful, especially so soon after a major injury
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby freshie » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:56 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:if he is out for the season, i'd be tempted to go after ross barkley in the window. the £20/25m spurs are supposedly willing to pay for him is nothing.
i think he could add the drive / energy to the middle of the park that we're missing at the moment.

Everton season ticket holder I work with reckons he has gone backwards and needs to leave now whilst they can get a decent price for him. Constantly making wrong decisions and holding on to the ball when he should be passing. Attitude issues as well apparently. He can be decent though but is he a pep player?

I agree, definitely gone backwards. Whether that's down to poor management or his attitude I don't know but he's too inconsistent. We need to be aiming much higher than players of his calibre
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:28 pm

worsleyweb wrote:Think there is a fair chance he wont play for us ever again to be honest.

I hope that isn't the case but if it's as serious as sounds then it's such a shame, he was settling in well.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby bigblue » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:39 am

Feel extremely bad for Ilky and for the team. Was a perfect player for us, and just when he was getting into his stride this has to come along.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only

Postby mr_nool » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:12 am

Fucking hell. Pore bloke, I really had hoped he would be A-ilkay.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby PeterParker » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:29 am

Spurge wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Pep played with fire.

Wait. He also likes Thiago and Reus. Also with glass legs.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:29 pm

mr_nool wrote:Fucking hell. Pore bloke, I really had hoped he would be A-ilkay.

i won't ignore that.

Clap clap clap clap clap...four eyes.

xoxo

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby PeterParker » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:36 pm

Gringo Twatburger wrote:

i won't ignore that.

xoxo

cheers

Thank God you are back.

I missed your claps.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby horlock2000 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:40 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
worsleyweb wrote:Think there is a fair chance he wont play for us ever again to be honest.

I hope that isn't the case but if it's as serious as sounds then it's such a shame, he was settling in well.

"..fair chance he wont play for us ever gain..."

What are you basing that on positive Pete?!
horlock2000
Robinho's Step Over

Postby HailNerdQueen » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:12 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Gringo Twatburger wrote:

i won't ignore that.

xoxo

cheers

Thank God you are back.

I missed your claps.

Ahh, it's a groaner! Gold, pure gold...
and terrible. Jesus I hope he heals well.
HailNerdQueen
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

My favourite player is: Sergio Agüero

Postby bigblue » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:17 pm

silver lining in this sad situation is that Alex Garcia may get much more gametime and experience
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only

Postby HailNerdQueen » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:52 pm

bigblue wrote:silver lining in this sad situation is that Alex Garcia may get much more gametime and experience

Suppose there is that, it'll be interesting to see how he fits in, I don't really know much about Garcia?
HailNerdQueen
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

My favourite player is: Sergio Agüero

Postby PrezIke » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:35 pm

Sad news. Hopefully he can come back next season, but the timing could not have been worse with Fernandinho out 3 more games.

Garcia may get his chances but seems more likely too see Yaya and Fernando.

Seems likely Yaya makes the next CL squad list as well.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PrezIke » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:40 pm

HailNerdQueen wrote:
bigblue wrote:silver lining in this sad situation is that Alex Garcia may get much more gametime and experience

Suppose there is that, it'll be interesting to see how he fits in, I don't really know much about Garcia?

From what I know/have seen, CM/DM with a high skill level on the ball who did well in a few appearances earlier in the season, I think against Arsenal in the friendly, and the Romanian team in the 2nd leg of the CL qualifier. However, when he made a cameo in his last appearance, very late against Boro at home, did not work hard enough to close down the opposing player, after just entering the game, allowing the space for an otherworldly cross that led us to draw instead of win.

I am not so sure Pep is ready to throw him into the fray unless Fernando and Yaya are consistently very poor or injured.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Fidel Castro » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:15 pm

Nainngolan would be ideal
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum