Copa America

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Copa America

Postby Dwaring » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:33 am

Got a chance to watch the US win the group tonight. Just sad we can't fill a stadium watch our national team. Ticket prices were a big turn off. I was about to get a good deal to see all 3 matches here in Philly. Uraguay (let down), USA & Chile.
Dwaring
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Yaya toure

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:33 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
phips wrote:
PrezIke wrote:Actually, it was Adidas who spelled Colombia wrong, not the US hosts.

when i wrote that the US played the wrong anthem and misspelled a country name I was merely referring to companies here not the actual US soccer federation. but yes, youre correct.

To the best of my knowledge Adidas are still German with their HQ in Bavaria.

Yeah but that's merely another country.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:36 am

CTID Hants wrote:Surprised none of our American friends haven't got a thread going yet (or anyone for that matter).

Otamendi took the lead for the Argies last night in a 5-0 win over Panama, Sergio scored after coming from the bench and Messi bagged s hattrick

A tough one to follow from this side of the pond as most games from what I see are 02:00 or later

Im only interested in the real Copa America...this tourny is as micky fuckign mouse as you can get.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Green & Blue » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:47 am

I watched Brazil and Argentinas group stage openers but have lost interest now the Euros have started. The knockout stages should be good but the quality of football in the group stages is very poor. It seems Brazil are resting the big boys for the Rio olympics, Argentina should have more than enough to win it.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby bigblue » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:04 pm

Great goal in the Mexico - Venezuela game last night:

https://streamable.com/ciwq

Other angles:

https://streamable.com/cl4d

Being played in Houston, this was pretty much a home game for Mexico, just with more expensive beers
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby phips » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:58 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
phips wrote:
PrezIke wrote:Actually, it was Adidas who spelled Colombia wrong, not the US hosts.

when i wrote that the US played the wrong anthem and misspelled a country name I was merely referring to companies here not the actual US soccer federation. but yes, youre correct.

To the best of my knowledge Adidas are still German with their HQ in Bavaria.

Yeah but that's merely another country.

so the HQ in Bavaria printed the kits?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:10 pm

Dwaring wrote:Just sad we can't fill a stadium watch our national team. Ticket prices were a big turn off. I was about to get a good deal to see all 3 matches here in Philly. Uraguay (let down), USA & Chile.

Average Attendance for Copa, Euros and World Cup

Copa Centenario: 41,693
Euro 2016: 48,794
Copa America 2015: 25,227
World Cup 2014: 53,592
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:15 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
Dwaring wrote:Just sad we can't fill a stadium watch our national team. Ticket prices were a big turn off. I was about to get a good deal to see all 3 matches here in Philly. Uraguay (let down), USA & Chile.

It all depends on stadia size and pricing too. If they were all the same you could make a comparison but it's apples and orange's
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby PrezIke » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
JamieMCFC wrote:

It all depends on stadia size and pricing too. If they were all the same you could make a comparison but it's apples and orange's

Indeed. Pricing for the Copa Centenario is very high for a tournament not as well known outside of serious football fans in the U.S., and games are almost all played in large capacity American football stadiums.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Dwaring » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:27 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
JamieMCFC wrote:

Indeed. Pricing for the Copa Centenario is very high for a tournament not as well known outside of serious football fans in the U.S., and games are almost all played in large capacity American football stadiums.

Point was more to the fact that they have sold out some of these large stadiums when Mexico, Brazil and Argentina is playing but have yet to do so for a USMNT match.
Dwaring
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Yaya toure

Postby PrezIke » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Actually, that's my point. Serious football fans in the U.S. know about the event, but average fans haven't a clue, other than those of backgrounds that generally care about the sport. This would usually be immigrants/their children from the countries you list, although there are not quite as many Argentinian immigrants compared to other countries here (Mexico, Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil), but the difference and also why those other nations are so well supported is that South American countries take the tournament seriously so their fans travelled here to watch...It's THEIR tournament. When Mexico plays matches in the U.S. it can often be a de facto home game, sometimes even against the U.S. if they play near the border (i.e. Southern California).

When the U.S. played Costa Rica there wasn't exactly a huge Costa Rican contingent at the game compared to when they played Colombia when 60% of the fans were there to support them not the Americans. Costa Rica being in CONCACAF, were one of the few invited nations from that region so this isn't even the Gold Cup (also not so important to average American sport fans), and generally football is just not as popular or ingrained in most of the CONCACAF nations' cultures as North American sports like Baseball, Basketball, Hockey and American Football.

I didn't even realise the tournament was happening in the U.S. until about a month before the tournament, and I generally pay attention, so there has been very little promotion in the media compared to say if we had the World Cup which would surely attract huge crowds of casual fans wanting to attend. I looked into buying tickets, as I said elsewhere, for a quarter finals match in the NYC area and the tickets were very expensive for a semi-major tournament with a lot of mediocre nations, where Brazil doesn't even send their best team, and Messi sits out (would never happen if this was the WC).
Last edited by PrezIke on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:59 pm

And they won't. Ever. Until we get rid of ze German bullshit artist and play some fun football.

And fuck off Carl. It's still the Copa you dickweed.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby PrezIke » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:12 pm

Gringo Twatburger wrote:And they won't. Ever. Until we get rid of ze German bullshit artist and play some fun football.

And fuck off Carl. It's still the Copa you dickweed.

Cheers

I happen to be okay enough with Klinsmann as it ain't his fault we have such little talent and ruin players potential through crap development of clueless coaches and pay-for-play and college sports ("Boooo!"). Is it about winning in the short term or developing a system and talent? I have zero interest in going back to a Bruce Arena type of RAH RAH American style of pseudo-Leicester play of hard work and good team work that is probably more like how Greece won the Euros that one year, but bores me to death.

I'm not saying he's doing so great, but no American has the quality or credibility to manage the team. Problem is he is managing a lot of other aspects of youth development, etc. to try to fix the system, so perhaps he is stretched as well. Maybe Patrick Vieira would be a good choice in the future...I'm actually not joking.

I am starting to feel some hope with Wood, Pulisic and Nagbe now, but that's not enough. The model should be to send talent to Europe ASAP, avoid the MLS, but as you know too many Americans are contagious to living abroad.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Saul Goodman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:41 am

Is Sergio injured? Why is he not playing more in this tournament?
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby bigblue » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:37 am

Levetzzi injured after tumbling over the billboards. All about the $$$ for FIFA, even over player safety.

On the US, our keeper is Brad Guzan, the team is build around an Asron Villa reject, and we sub on an average 17 year old kid from the bundesliga bench when looking for a goal. Says it all really. We'll be lucky to not get completely dicked
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby PrezIke » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Is Sergio injured? Why is he not playing more in this tournament?

Seems the manager prefers Higuain primarily, and neither of them are really suited to playing out wide, so one has to sit. Higuain seems to play better than Kun with Argentina of late, and he had a stellar season, even better than Kun in terms of goals. Sergio rarely seems to have the kinds of performances we are used to in international games, but I also think as we saw with the season winding down, he seemed either tired, or just not in great form.

Odd thing is Aguero did miss part of the season so he didn't play as many games as others, but I think he did a lot of running, played a lot of minutes due to our desperate need for points or wins, and generally expended a lot of energy the last few months of the season. Hodgson arguably made the mistake of playing Kane who some pundits feel is tired as well. He seemed a bit frustrated and demoralized, compared to Higuain who may have been in better spirits. As a bench option he is pretty much the best substitute you could ask for if you are in need of a goal or Higuain is having a poor game.

I'm curious to see if the manager is willing to drop him for the final. They haven't really had the same level of competition so they haven't needed him as much, however Kun was on the bench in their win against Chile so it does seem rather likely.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:42 pm

bigblue wrote:Levetzzi injured after tumbling over the billboards. All about the $$$ for FIFA, even over player safety.

On the US, our keeper is Brad Guzan, the team is build around an Asron Villa reject, and we sub on an average 17 year old kid from the bundesliga bench when looking for a goal. Says it all really. We'll be lucky to not get completely dicked

Hah! Guzan had a pretty good tournament as far as I could see. It's also not entirely his fault the Villa defence was a utter shambles all season. Was excited to see Pulisic come on, and in the little we saw you could see that he has genuine skill and potential to be a star. But we couldn't string together two passes, let alone even one. I grow increasingly tired of seeing players with such poor touch and pass accuracy. It really was embarrassing to watch.

Pulisic exhibited very good movement, and I could see the team trying to find him on the left flank when he came on, but it was completely worthless because we couldn't keep the ball for any period of time. I don't know why Klinsmann didn't start him. We were going to lose anyway, and no one would have been bothered. Would it really have hurt his development to play decent minutes? Most of the rest of the team looks like they don't belong on the pitch with Argentina, other than Guzan, Pulisic, Yedlin (who did pretty well) and Bradley who had an okay game.

Dempsey was also invisible, but it was for the same reasons (much of the team stinks), and he's 33 years old, and pretty much carried us to the Semis, although we did see some other good performers (Wood) and the defence was well organised for a change. No Wood nor Jones did not help at all either, and could have made it a better game. Again, I want to see more hip-hop in our football. If we can get that injected into the culture of the game here we will see a change that is more representative of what we could offer.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Is Sergio injured? Why is he not playing more in this tournament?

Because the best individuals don't necessarily make the best team perhaps?

Delighted to hear he's not playing.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby bigblue » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:01 pm

The Messi freekick vs the USA was something else:

https://streamable.com/1igc
https://streamable.com/t5uw

they don't get much better than that; inch perfect
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:44 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

Because the best individuals don't necessarily make the best team perhaps?

Delighted to hear he's not playing.

When I was a kid I used to love it when players like Lee, Bell, Summerbee, Marsh, Watson played for England.

Now I hope nobody plays for their country, have some nice jollies and come back fresh and uninjured
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum