Copa America

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Copa America

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:09 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:Is Sergio injured? Why is he not playing more in this tournament?

Because the best individuals don't necessarily make the best team perhaps?

Delighted to hear he's not playing.

When I was a kid I used to love it when players like Lee, Bell, Summerbee, Marsh, Watson played for England.

Now I hope nobody plays for their country, have some nice jollies and come back fresh and uninjured

Exactly my thoughts as well. Wrote on a thread before the squad was announced that I hoped Sterling wasn't in it. Glad Mangala hasn't played yet and so on.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:18 pm

bigblue wrote:The Messi freekick vs the USA was something else:

https://streamable.com/1igc
https://streamable.com/t5uw

they don't get much better than that; inch perfect

That is as good as it gets in regards to a free kick. Even a man on the post probably wouldn't have cleared that. Utterly sublime. Compare to Tranny's record from direct free kicks over the last three or four years
nottsblue

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:46 pm

Outrageous FK. Best in the world apart from joey
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby PeterParker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:09 pm

london blue 2 wrote:Outrageous FK. Best in the world apart from joey

Barton?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Cocacolajojo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:21 pm

PeterParker wrote:

Barton?

Who else?
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby PeterParker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:22 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

Barton?

Who else?

Joey Tribbiani, of course.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Chile perhaps the best team in the world over the last 12-15 months...so technical, so fast, so strong and so fun to watch. Destroyed Columbia last night, sans Vidal.

Just a shame this crew who've hit their apex didn't have a world cup this summer to showcase themselves. 2 years from now they'll be out of their best i'm sure and someone else will be riding high, but honestly I believe they would give Germany and Spain the business. They should have the Copa and Euro winners play each other for fun...i'd love to see that.

I'm fairly certain that Chile will edge the Argies in the final....should be a fun match.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby bigblue » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:57 pm

Gringo Twatburger wrote:Chile perhaps the best team in the world over the last 12-15 months...so technical, so fast, so strong and so fun to watch. Destroyed Columbia last night, sans Vidal.

Just a shame this crew who've hit their apex didn't have a world cup this summer to showcase themselves. 2 years from now they'll be out of their best i'm sure and someone else will be riding high, but honestly I believe they would give Germany and Spain the business. They should have the Copa and Euro winners play each other for fun...i'd love to see that.

I'm fairly certain that Chile will edge the Argies in the final....should be a fun match.

cheers

Agreed. They have so many athletic, skillful players that put everything on the line. Like a team of 11 Tevezes, all playing as 1.

Medel has been great so far (looks like a different player from Cardiff a few seasons ago). Vargas has also had a great tournament despite a pretty lackluster club career. Great skill throughout the team, but this sums them up for me:

https://streamable.com/g4kk
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:08 pm

bigblue wrote:
Gringo Twatburger wrote:Chile perhaps the best team in the world over the last 12-15 months...so technical, so fast, so strong and so fun to watch. Destroyed Columbia last night, sans Vidal.

cheers

Agreed. They have so many athletic, skillful players that put everything on the line. Like a team of 11 Tevezes, all playing as 1.

Medel has been great so far (looks like a different player from Cardiff a few seasons ago). Vargas has also had a great tournament despite a pretty lackluster club career. Great skill throughout the team, but this sums them up for me:

https://streamable.com/g4kk

I love Aranguiz. I want him. Bring him to City please.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:35 am

So Chile won on penalties after a 0-0. Then Messi retires from International football.
nottsblue

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:33 am

Messi making it all about himself. If you want to be a bad loser, at least wait a few days and let Chile have their time of deserved shine, you little bitch.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Wooders » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 am

Apparently Sergio and a whole raft of players are also retiring too
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Messi making it all about himself. If you want to be a bad loser, at least wait a few days and let Chile have their time of deserved shine, you little bitch.

Exactly. He's such a little spoiled, petulant cheating cunt of a man.

Whodathunk that years later Ronaldo would be more of a compellingly positive social figure in terms of community work and a much better team leader? Not I, but it's true.

Chile as I said are my fave team to watch over the last 14 months. Shame I can't see them play Germany or Spain.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:04 pm

Gringo Twatburger wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:Messi making it all about himself. If you want to be a bad loser, at least wait a few days and let Chile have their time of deserved shine, you little bitch.

Whodathunk that years later Ronaldo would be more of a compellingly positive social figure in terms of community work and a much better team leader? Not I, but it's true.

Chile as I said are my fave team to watch over the last 14 months. Shame I can't see them play Germany or Spain.

Cheers

Is he fuck
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:07 pm

Gringo Twatburger wrote:

Cheers

Is he fuck

In terms of community and charities..hes more than likely ahead of everyone.......(certainly not on the field though)
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:10 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Gringo Twatburger wrote:

Cheers

Is he fuck

In terms of community and charities..hes more than likely ahead of everyone.......(certainly not on the field though)

Maybe so but tbh, and this may sound cynical but, celebrities who like to have their name and faces associated with charities are usually doing it for their own gain
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby PrezIke » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:14 pm

Wooders wrote:Apparently Sergio and a whole raft of players are also retiring too

He blew 2 huge opportunities when in. One where he took a hopeful shot when another player was kind of football normally played in the stadium.

In fairness, he could have easily won the game with his rather brilliant header in the 100th minute.

Hope he gets rest and comes back strong this season. It is a bit worrying as his form has not been the best the last few months. If he retires as an international that gives us a boost at least.
Last edited by PrezIke on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby CTID Hants » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:15 pm

Wooders wrote:Apparently Sergio and a whole raft of players are also retiring too

The way i read Sergio's comments, to me it hinted that the manager might be the one in question by the players?

Sergio as we know wants to finish his career back home so that to me would suggest he wouldn't walk away from his National team at 28, similarly Angel Di-Maria or Messi without having a crack at winning the WC in two years time?

Just seems odd to me, its not like the country has a whole raft of "New" Messi, Sergio's etc ready to go in their places that i am aware of?
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby PrezIke » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:17 pm

Gringo Twatburger wrote:

Cheers

You think? The pressure he has faced is incredible in this day and age of the Internet and perpetual social media trolling. I surely doubt he intended to take things away from Chile's victory. Just like the way Sterling is treated, Messi gets it in a different form with Argentina because of how great he is with Barca. I think all of their generation has faced this scrutiny, Aguero included, but Messi is target #1 for obvious reasons.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:20 pm

CTID Hants wrote:

The way i read Sergio's comments, to me it hinted that the manager might be the one in question by the players?

Sergio as we know wants to finish his career back home so that to me would suggest he wouldn't walk away from his National team at 28, similarly Angel Di-Maria or Messi without having a crack at winning the WC in two years time?

Just seems odd to me, its not like the country has a whole raft of "New" Messi, Sergio's etc ready to go in their places that i am aware of?

I think this may also be what is behind the frustration from players, and this isn't for the first time. It's been every time. Aguero does not even start. I'm not even sure DesChamps would have such "balls."
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum