so pep's in. wtf has he done???

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: so pep's in. wtf has he done???

Postby nottsblue » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:39 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:The look on his face and his actions after Iheanacho failed to square the ball to Delph yo wrap up the win was priceless. I have no doubt Iheanacho will be told in no uncertain terms the team is more important than individuals. How often do you see the front three at Barca and Bayern lay it on a plate for a tap in for someone else.

Joe has found out today the team plays in a certain way. You either adapt to it or you won't be in it

Said as much at the time to my son and then the camera cut to Pep basically indicating the same......he should have passed.
There's a lot out of today I liked, not least that you could see a managers signature on the style that the team were trying to play. I loved the discipline of the full backs tucking inside and automatically wheeling into cover the CB's coming out of defense with the ball.
It really does look like s system that will work when we have personnel that are willing and capable to play it.
If big personalities in the team cannot adapt they will be gone and there will be changes and new heroes.
I had wondered how Pep would do in England but I am optimistic that he will be successful. Now to safely negotiate the Steau tie.

Seems the players are learning the virtues of team play and passing the ball. Fantastic
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PrezIke » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:23 pm

Watch on youtube.com
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:13 am

From the Mail running a top 50 Barca players list.

Pep's eyes and ears, also his closest mate...

35 – TXIKI BEGIRISTAIN (1988-1995) - 223 league appearances, 63 goals
'He is very clever this Txiki player, I like him a lot,' said Johan Cruyff on a scouting mission watching Real Sociedad in 1988. He had gone to watch forward Jose Mari Bakero but ended up signing the Basque winger too. Begiristain won four leagues and Barca's first European Cup in a seven-season spell.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby PrezIke » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:24 pm

Manager of the Month nominee, not too surprising.

Also less surprising is Mourinho is winning the Twitter vote, with Conte, another manager of a club with a larger global fan base in 2nd.

PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:15 pm

I believe we have either now surpassed or tied the greatest start to a season ever by a PL team.

Arsenal, Newcastle and another club did it I believe.

In Pep We Trust
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:one minute into pep's reign and i'm seriously underfuckingwhelmed

i'm starting to warm to him
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:19 pm

PrezIke wrote:I believe we have either now surpassed or tied the greatest start to a season ever by a PL team.

In Pep We Trust

Surpassed, I think. 7 was the record held by a few clubs, that's why I was a bit dubious today. Just waiting until we hit the straight 8 games win in the PL, that'll be the real test.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Justified logic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:00 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
PrezIke wrote:I believe we have either now surpassed or tied the greatest start to a season ever by a PL team.

In Pep We Trust

Surpassed, I think. 7 was the record held by a few clubs, that's why I was a bit dubious today. Just waiting until we hit the straight 8 games win in the PL, that'll be the real test.

Yeah, I found that 'fact' on the BBC website but I don't know whether it can be right as it was 7 straight wins in all competitions for Newcastle, Arsenal and Chelsea (the last two in 2004-5 and 2005-6 but not necessarily respectively), but I also saw or heard elsewhere that Chelsea started with 7 straight wins in the PL in 2004-5 (or 2005-6) so either their 8th game of the season was not PL (i.e. didn't win in LC or CL) or the first 'fact' is incorrect.

Eight straight PL wins would undoubtedly be a record. We have Swansea (A), Spurs (A) and Everton (H) as the hurdles and Swansea (A in EFLC), Celtic (A in CL) in between as well. Then, after Everton, we have Barca (A)...
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:12 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:one minute into pep's reign and i'm seriously underfuckingwhelmed

i'm starting to warm to him

Steady on and slow down NT.

Don't get carried away and go overboard too soon.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby phips » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:21 pm

anyone know how many points we had under Pellegrini at this point last season?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby City64 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:22 pm

phips wrote:anyone know how many points we had under Pellegrini at this point last season?

A lot less than we have now . Now fuck off !!!
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:02 pm

phips wrote:anyone know how many points we had under Pellegrini at this point last season?

your dissembling use of the plural form is rather desperate.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby nottsblue » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Is anyone seriously disappointed so far by Pep? Genuine question.

I myself am not jumping for joy at what I've seen this season but the guy has had barely four months in the job. I think we should be scoring more goals than what we are with our attacking players and I think our defence is not as strong as it could be. But that's football. We are through in the CL and in contention in the PL. At this stage I can't really grumble. Sterling looks a different player to last season. Gundogan is starting to settle in nicely and Stones the same. Lots of positives.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:46 pm

nottsblue wrote:Is anyone seriously disappointed so far by Pep? Genuine question.

I myself am not jumping for joy at what I've seen this season but the guy has had barely four months in the job. I think we should be scoring more goals than what we are with our attacking players and I think our defence is not as strong as it could be. But that's football. We are through in the CL and in contention in the PL. At this stage I can't really grumble. Sterling looks a different player to last season. Gundogan is starting to settle in nicely and Stones the same. Lots of positives.

I'm similar but at the same time I'm slightly disappointed. For some reason I had in my head this guy would turn up and we'd be unplayable and everyone would fall in our wake. Naive of me I guess.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:37 pm

nottsblue wrote:Is anyone seriously disappointed so far by Pep? Genuine question.

I'm disappointed with the transfer window but have been disappointed with those prior to Pep arriving. I genuinely think we struggle because we are not good enough and not as good as we were. I think Pep needs a window or two as the squad will take some sorting. He shouldn't be judged til then.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm disappointed, in the main
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:02 pm

Weighed it al. Up, given players a chance, this season will be up and downs as Pep decides when players leave. We need better players in every department. The club have known it for 2 years and Pep will shake it up, a cull is coming.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby aaron bond » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:22 am

Hazy2 wrote:Weighed it al. Up, given players a chance, this season will be up and downs as Pep decides when players leave. We need better players in every department. The club have known it for 2 years and Pep will shake it up, a cull is coming.

But is it though?

It's not like we have drastically reduced our spending.

We are still spending significant amounts each season but our squad is unbalanced and definitely weaker than it has been previously.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:34 am

South Stand Balti wrote:

I'm disappointed with the transfer window but have been disappointed with those prior to Pep arriving. I genuinely think we struggle because we are not good enough and not as good as we were. I think Pep needs a window or two as the squad will take some sorting. He shouldn't be judged til then.

I'm not disappointed with transfer window as such. I think Sane, Gundogan and Stones were all good buys.

It's just that we needed to make the team more balanced and needed to fill the defense with suitable players who could've performed immediately and we have failed to do that AND got rid of Hart without replacement.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby s1ty m » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:59 am

I don't know what to think. Pep is the best there is. But, we have problems and some of them are his doing. The defence is a shambles, he should be able to fix this into reasonable shape but at the moment, it gets worse by the week. His 3 at the back idea on Saturday was poor and his love for Kolarov proves the point that all managers have their blind spots. Gundogan is a bit lightweight I think when what we really need is some steel. I have belief that it will improve but it's looking dicey.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum