Team to pick Captain says Pep

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Team to pick Captain says Pep

Postby sheblue » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:06 pm

Silva.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Why do I have a feeling they'll pick Yaya

Vinnie, Zabs, Joe, F1. One of them
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby PrezIke » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Whoever the players choose.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:27 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:Why do I have a feeling they'll pick Yaya

I would be surprised if Yaya is still with us
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby littlebig » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:31 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:Why do I have a feeling they'll pick Yaya

I would be surprised if Yaya is still with us

Yaya as captain was a joke of an appointment. Someone who puts in effort should get the nod
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:57 am

Who picked Dinho against Bayern?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Mase » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:57 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Who picked Dinho against Bayern?

The youth team had a vote on it I think.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:00 am

Mase wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Who picked Dinho against Bayern?

The youth team had a vote on it I think.

Let them vote on it when the real football kicks in I say.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:29 am

Dimples wrote:Pep's statement makes very little sense to me.

He is saying it cannot be Kompany because he is injured.
Then he says its up to the players to pick a captain - so he has to mean that the captain will be in the team.

How do the players know who will be in the team?

I think the players choice, provided it doesn't become a 'pick your best mate' scenario, will have a bearing on who the players look up to and thus who is the best leader. In the absence of leadership on the pitch, that player then almost by default is in the team for leadership as much as ability. Fernandinho wouldn't surprise me one bit, he absolutely leads by example too (most of the time)

Unless it's Yaya, then they can all fuck off.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby sidSmith » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:58 am

Mase wrote:I think Hart is similar to Peter Schmeichel in personality and Schmeichel made a fine captain when Keane wasn't playing.

A goalkeeper can see everything in front of them. They can see the whole field all at once. If they can shout loud enough (I used to be able to hear Schmeichel clear as day from the second tier of the Kippax) then I don't see a GK being captain as a problem

I agree. Keepers as captain makes perfect sense to me. Can see the whole field, are usually one of the more senior players as their playing age is higher, unless injured they're probably the first name on the team sheet, constantly issuing orders when defending set plays; so they'd be a constant voice to the rest of the players. What's not to like?
sidSmith
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Cocacolajojo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:04 pm

sidSmith wrote:
Mase wrote:I think Hart is similar to Peter Schmeichel in personality and Schmeichel made a fine captain when Keane wasn't playing.

A goalkeeper can see everything in front of them. They can see the whole field all at once. If they can shout loud enough (I used to be able to hear Schmeichel clear as day from the second tier of the Kippax) then I don't see a GK being captain as a problem

I agree. Keepers as captain makes perfect sense to me. Can see the whole field, are usually one of the more senior players as their playing age is higher, unless injured they're probably the first name on the team sheet, constantly issuing orders when defending set plays; so they'd be a constant voice to the rest of the players. What's not to like?

Agree. Hart's a good choice.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:26 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
sidSmith wrote:

I posted this earlier. Not saying I agree entirely with the guy on the radio - it's just one point of view about potential problems:

As for Hart - someone said after the Euro debacle that Lloris is calm, collected and solid behind his defence whereas Hart is always shouting and screaming and looking on edge. Thinking about it he really is, all the jerky movements, the quick chewing gum, the screaming and bawling YAYA YAYA YAYA as we hear above all else.

Maybe there is something in this - I think if I was on the pitch listening to that I would have been thinking 'for Christ's sake shut the fuck up'.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Mase » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:57 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:
sidSmith wrote:

I posted this earlier. Not saying I agree entirely with the guy on the radio - it's just one point of view about potential problems:

As for Hart - someone said after the Euro debacle that Lloris is calm, collected and solid behind his defence whereas Hart is always shouting and screaming and looking on edge. Thinking about it he really is, all the jerky movements, the quick chewing gum, the screaming and bawling YAYA YAYA YAYA as we hear above all else.

Maybe there is something in this - I think if I was on the pitch listening to that I would have been thinking 'for Christ's sake shut the fuck up'.

Like I mentioned earlier, Schmeichel was a fuckin nutter, same with Kahn. And Kahn was a fantastic captain.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Keepers are supposed to shout and bark orders to keep the back line in shape and to prevent misunderstandings. One can fault Hart for many things, but not this one.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby sidSmith » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:16 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:
sidSmith wrote:

Maybe he'd shout less as captain as he'd have more authority and perhaps they'd listen better?

I know what you mean though. His cries of "push" at every corner are also irritating.
sidSmith
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby dazby » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:57 am

I like my keepers to be very vocal.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby bigblue » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Hart would be a great captain. Loud, outgoing, and a decent guy. Plus he's English and has probably been with the team longer than anyone else.

As much as I love fern, I think the captain need to be a leader not just with their play, but with their personality. Dinho leads by example but is a bit shy and reserved. And we have a lot of thick fuckers who need someone screaming in their ear from time to time.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:23 pm

bigblue wrote:Hart would be a great captain. Loud, outgoing, and a decent guy. Plus he's English and has probably been with the team longer than anyone else.

As much as I love fern, I think the captain need to be a leader not just with their play, but with their personality. Dinho leads by example but is a bit shy and reserved. And we have a lot of thick fuckers who need someone screaming in their ear from time to time.

I recall Kolarov saying he nicknamed Fernandinho the director, I assumed this was because he directs play, dictates to his team mates where they should be, maybe I'm wrong on my assumption but if I'm not then that doesn't sound like someone shy and reserved to me.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby bigblue » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:25 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
bigblue wrote:Hart would be a great captain. Loud, outgoing, and a decent guy. Plus he's English and has probably been with the team longer than anyone else.

I recall Kolarov saying he nicknamed Fernandinho the director, I assumed this was because he directs play, dictates to his team mates where they should be, maybe I'm wrong on my assumption but if I'm not then that doesn't sound like someone shy and reserved to me.

Kolarov is the prime example of a player who needs someone screaming in their ear. As a reminder:

https://streamable.com/peg0
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum