Kolarov Off To Roma?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Kolarov Off To Roma?

Postby dazby » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:57 am

Thanks Kolly, it's been emotional.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Mase » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:32 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:Which kind of backs up everything Dubciteh has said.

Clichy leaves us with two Premier League medals, 2 Carling Cup medals, and 1 FA Cup. If that's 'messy' then fuck me I hope we have a 'messy' season mate.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:40 am

Mase wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:Which kind of backs up everything Dubciteh has said.

Clichy leaves us with two Premier League medals, 2 Carling Cup medals, and 1 FA Cup. If that's 'messy' then fuck me I hope we have a 'messy' season mate.

Im not slagging clichy but he was also part of seasons where we won fuck all. To be clear i like clichy and i like
Kolarov both done good stuff for us.

What im saying is for peps system to rely on only having a right footer as our back up left back is asking for trouble. How about we sign a left back to be back up left back and keep danilo as back up right back and stop trying to put square pegs in round holes?
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:53 am

Dubciteh wrote:What im saying is for peps system to rely on only having a right footer as our back up left back is asking for trouble. How about we sign a left back to be back up left back and keep danilo as back up right back and stop trying to put square pegs in round holes?

As pointed out earlier this line of reasoning is flawed. The preferred foot of a player is not the regulative factor in their ability in a particular position. In general, left footed defenders do tend to play on their strong side but many of the best left backs are and were right footed, please see the earlier posts on this subject in this thread.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:04 am

johnny crossan wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:What im saying is for peps system to rely on only having a right footer as our back up left back is asking for trouble. How about we sign a left back to be back up left back and keep danilo as back up right back and stop trying to put square pegs in round holes?

As pointed out earlier this line of reasoning is flawed. The preferred foot of a player is not the regulative factor in their ability in a particular position. In general, left footed defenders do tend to play on their strong side but many of the best left backs are and were right footed, please see the earlier posts on this subject in this thread.

Ok so two things from that

1) all them mentioned played most if not all there career on the left and werent career right backs filling in there so had years of getting used to it.

2) very few of them were out and out attacking full backs. Peps full backs are required to be basically left wingers so its a much more difficult task. For eg maldini the finest left back of all time would be useless in peps system.
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:29 am

Dubciteh wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

1) all them mentioned played most if not all there career on the left and weren't career right backs filling in there so had years of getting used to it.
2) very few of them were out and out attacking full backs. Peps full backs are required to be basically left wingers so its a much more difficult task. For eg maldini the finest left back of all time would be useless in peps system.

Everything you say is true enough, but you miss my main point. The stronger foot of a player is not what makes him a good left back. Danilo has a good left foot as it happens but though important, it is only one factor in a number abilities needed to play in Pep's preferred system. Clichy, Kolarov, Zabba and Sagna had many of those needed in the wing back role but none had all of them. Let's hope these new signings do have the pace, passing range and positional sense their predecessors lacked. Don't dismiss him as an inferior alternative to Mendy or a genuine challenger to Walker at right back yet, give the lad a chance to show what he can do.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:33 am

johnny crossan wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

1) all them mentioned played most if not all there career on the left and weren't career right backs filling in there so had years of getting used to it.

Everything you say is true enough, but you miss my main point. The stronger foot of a player is not what makes him a good left back. Danilo has a good left foot as it happens but though important, it is only one factor in a number abilities needed to play in Pep's preferred system. Clichy, Kolarov, Zabba and Sagna had many of those needed in the wing back role but none had all of them. Let's hope these new signings do have the pace, passing range and positional sense their predecessors lacked. Don't dismiss him as an inferior alternative to Mendy or a genuine challenger to Walker at right back yet, give the lad a chance to show what he can do.

Fair enough. Just to be clear my point wasnt aimed at a slagging off of danilo more at the club if we dont sign another left back. We have had 4 full backs for god knows how long even when we werent in europe and it was ball n garrido. With all our money now is not the time to make do.
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby PeterParker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:19 am

I wish him the best.

Liked him, he was a thug. That wolves christmas tree will go in history.

All the best Kola!

PS: I just realise this is the end of an era for us. There are only 4 players left since THAT moment in 2012. A new cycle is starting for us, while we say goodbye to a recent past that brought us a lot of glory.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Mase » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Well Kola, it was love at first sight and it's been an emotional rollercoaster.

Never loved a player so much and never will. I always knew this day would come but hoped it would be delayed a few years.

My favourite goal-
Watch on youtube.com

Without that equaliser we wouldn't have gone on to win the league. A lot of people forget that.

Favourite moment-
Watch on youtube.com

His farewell message:

“When I came in 2010 I honestly didn't expect to stay so long and the day has arrived that I have to say goodbye, and I am leaving – for some of the fans, finally,”

“For me it's a very sad day, but that is life, that is football.”

“Great emotions in those seven years – the title that we won, and was always special for me, the first trophy we won after I don't know how many years, the FA Cup in 2011,” he recalled.

“Every title we won was a special day for me personally, and a lot of friends I have met here will be friends for life.”

What a guy. Sad day indeed. Miss you already Kola.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Also loved the fact he wasn't a shit house like the rest of he players we have and I'll remember a few years back when one of the kids we took on the tour did a bad tackle and an opposition player went to kick off with them and Kola just stood in his way.
Last edited by Mase on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:19 pm

Mase wrote:Also loved the fact he wasn't a shit house like the rest of he players we have and I'll remember a few years back when when of the kids we took on the tour did a bad tackle and an opposition player went to kick off with them and Kola just stood in his way.

I remember that, think it was George Evans - straight in, that was great to see.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:54 pm

ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:55 pm

I'm not sure mase should watch that 8-)
or especially this - even I'm welling up
Watch on youtube.com
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:07 am

Goodbye and good luck Alex and thanks for you service. You came at a good time and played a great role in our success in the last few years. Now you can go back to feeding Edin with your great crosses. Wish you all the best and much more success.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:51 am

Say what you want about Aleks but overall he did a very solid job for us and was great servant over these seven years.

I will always remember his willingness to start WW3, his equaliser vs Sunderland and his version of Jingle bells.

Thanks and good luck Kola!
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby dazby » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:41 am

I reckon he's a player we'll think of with increasing fondness as time passes.

One of the best free kick takers we've ever had.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby dick dastardley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:34 am

a jekyll and hyde player but a quality player, loads of great videos and memories of him good luck to him, unless he plays us of course.
best one i remember was him turning up for training in a 2 seater smart car next to bentleys and sports cars and not batting an eyelid!!
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Nick » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Good luck, thanks for the memories, not sure how he lasted last year but the biggest thing I don't get is why people think he was a hard man?
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:39 pm

Great interview. Best of luck to him for the future.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Mase » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Nick wrote:Good luck, thanks for the memories, not sure how he lasted last year but the biggest thing I don't get is why people think he was a hard man?

Because compared to every single one of our players Dale Winton looks like a hard man.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum