Welcome John Stones

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Welcome John Stones

Postby nottsblue » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:56 am

Must say, though it is very early days, he has slotted seamlessly into his role and the expectation of a centre back in Pep world. I for one wasn't thrilled when we were linked to and then subsequently signed him as I thought it a lot of money for someone who struggled to hold down a place in Evertons team. Just shows what a different manager can do.

Kolarov and Sterling prime examples of this. Dare I say Nasri may benefit as well?

Stones has the potential and game to be here for a decade much like Camelgob at the rags. Hope so
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby dazby » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:10 am

He needs to thin out his eyebrows a bit.

Apart from that he looks like he's been here for years. Very impressed so far.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:49 pm

After seeing Stones play the full 90 vs Oxford and a few minutes vs Cardiff last weekend as a defensive mid what are you guys' thoughts on him in that position? I understand that it's very early on in this "trial" but despite him obviously knowing how to defend and being a good passer of the ball (for a defender) I'm not entirely sold on him as a DM and would prefer him as a CB. His positional sense as a DM doesn't seem that great (yet) and I don't know if his passing his good enough (yet) for that position. It feels to me like he tries a little too hard and its almost like he's thinking "Yes! the closest to a #10 role that I'll get. Time to shine!".

Now, should Fern be suspended or injured this season then I think Stones would be an okay replacement but, shockingly, I might be more comfortable with Gundogan there even though he's not a defensive midfielder.

Thoughts?
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:55 pm

IMHO. He's a lot better at centre half and wasted in midfield. OK against the Oxfords of this world or for ten minutes here and there but not a real solution.

We need to buy a Fernandinho in the next window.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:05 pm

I think the less said about his excursions outside the CB position the better.
He does need to practice his facial expressions - permanent shell-shock is not a good look.
Last edited by johnny crossan on Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:After seeing Stones play the full 90 vs Oxford and a few minutes vs Cardiff last weekend as a defensive mid what are you guys' thoughts on him in that position? I understand that it's very early on in this "trial" but despite him obviously knowing how to defend and being a good passer of the ball (for a defender) I'm not entirely sold on him as a DM and would prefer him as a CB. His positional sense as a DM doesn't seem that great (yet) and I don't know if his passing his good enough (yet) for that position. It feels to me like he tries a little too hard and its almost like he's thinking "Yes! the closest to a #10 role that I'll get. Time to shine!".

Now, should Fern be suspended or injured this season then I think Stones would be an okay replacement but, shockingly, I might be more comfortable with Gundogan there even though he's not a defensive midfielder.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are Fernandinho wasn't a defensive midfielder before he came to City.

I would only consider using Stones there in case of emergency.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Mase » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:11 pm

I'd try Laporte there. Can defend and has a pass on him. Stones isn't mobile enough.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:31 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:OK against the Oxfords of this world or for ten minutes here and there but not a real solution.

Yup.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Outcast » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Just buy a proper midfielder in January or wait until summer. He needs to develop further in his CB position, he's the future of the club. Like others mentioned, only call him in an emergency. I would rather have any of our natural midfielders covering that position in the absence of Fern
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:06 pm

I don't think he's athletically dynamic enough for it. Its a position that requires something different from a JS type of athlete.
Those players do not grow on trees.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:21 pm

I agree that Stones' performance as a DM was underwhelming to say the least but there is no reason to panic, yet ! Ferna is still good enough to fill that position this season competently and in case of emergency (or when he needs to be rested) we still have Delph whose natural position is DM (or am I mistaken here ?). Once Mendy is back, I think Pep should try Delph there when the need arises.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:11 pm

I actually think Pep's aim in playing JS there is not to make him an average DM but to increase his awareness and make him a better CB, while also allowing Ferna a rest.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum