Joe Hart

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Joe Hart

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:13 am

mr_nool wrote:Joe would not have been able to play the game the way Willy did tonight, I'm sorry to say.

Joe is by far the better "keeper", but if tonight is any indication of how we're going to play he simply doesn't fit the bill.

Willy is as bad or even worse than Hart with the ball. Now, Neuer or Ter Stegen for example, that'd be a huge upgrade on what we have in terms of passing and shooting ability, but Willy's not better.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:24 am

I am amazed at those who thought Willie showed yesterday that he is better than Joe with the ball at his feet. He made one shocking passing error and once charged out of goal to clear a long through ball. Joe might have made the same bad pass ( I doubt it) and would certainly have been out to clear the long ball.

Don't get me wrong I think Joe's distribution is pretty poor but I just don't think Willie's is much better if it's better at all.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:32 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I am amazed at those who thought Willie showed yesterday that he is better than Joe with the ball at his feet. He made one shocking passing error and once charged out of goal to clear a long through ball. Joe might have made the same bad pass ( I doubt it) and would certainly have been out to clear the long ball.

Don't get me wrong I think Joe's distribution is pretty poor but I just don't think Willie's is much better if it's better at all.

1000 thumbs up.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:49 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:
mr_nool wrote:Joe would not have been able to play the game the way Willy did tonight, I'm sorry to say.

Joe is by far the better "keeper", but if tonight is any indication of how we're going to play he simply doesn't fit the bill.

Willy is as bad or even worse than Hart with the ball. Now, Neuer or Ter Stegen for example, that'd be a huge upgrade on what we have in terms of passing and shooting ability, but Willy's not better.

Agreed. Willy looked petrified every time he had the ball at his feet and you could tell the players knew it.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Wooders » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I am amazed at those who thought Willie showed yesterday that he is better than Joe with the ball at his feet. He made one shocking passing error and once charged out of goal to clear a long through ball. Joe might have made the same bad pass ( I doubt it) and would certainly have been out to clear the long ball.

i reckon Willie got the nod because at least he tried to play the ball against Arsenal - Joe didn't bother so he was dropped
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:50 pm

Totally agree and Willy has shown in the friendlies he's quite likely to just pass the ball to the opposition. I'm all for a keeper passing out, but he needs to be capable of doing it, otherwise you may as well play long balls to Aguero's head and then complain he's not good enough.

I've seen very little of Gunn, other than in the one friendly and he looked as poor as Hart or Willy with the ball, but I'll listen to your earlier comment, Doug, that he's usually comfortable. Grimshaw is clearly the type of keeper we're after, but he's a few years and inches away from being a replacement. I'm not even sure it's something you can coach into the senior keepers, so I'm guessing we need to go shopping
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mase » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:11 pm

Well it looks like it's Bravo that's coming and not Ter Stegen.

Agreed terms with us apparently.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby feedthegreek » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:18 pm

Just read that.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby bigblue » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:37 pm

Bravo might be really good, but he's 33 years old. That's no replacement for Hart.

And I feel like the clubs gone a bit impersonal if we replace one of our longest serving players, England's number 1, and an incredible keeper because the manager doesn't think he fits after 1 month in charge.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:43 pm

bigblue wrote:Bravo might be really good, but he's 33 years old. That's no replacement for Hart.

And I feel like the clubs gone a bit impersonal if we replace one of our longest serving players, England's number 1, and an incredible keeper because the manager doesn't think he fits after 1 month in charge.

It was mentioned in the commentary yesterday on Bein about 'player power' having been an issue in the last few years. Whilst this could be speculation following his alleged role in Mancini's demise, it would be interesting to hear what these alleged 'player power' issues were under Pellegrini.

Completely normal for a new manager to lay down the law by breaking up a clique if he feels one exists. Interesting that most are happy to see him bounce Toure out of the door because we perceive him to be a negative influence, but Joe gets a free pass because he's been at the club a long time.

I'm happy to trust the manager on this one
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Dameerto » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:46 pm

bigblue wrote:Bravo might be really good, but he's 33 years old. That's no replacement for Hart.

Alternatively, if a player thinks he's too important to play to the manager's instructions then he should be sat on his arse on the sidelines until he thinks about things a little differently.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby phips » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:52 pm

as others have said.it's a risk. Joe is a good shot stopper but is terrible with distribution; he doesnt fit the way that Pep wants to play.
but how does Pep know that way will work in the premier league the way way that it worked in his previous shitty leagues? maybe he will have to tweak things once he gets more league matches under his belt. maybe Joe will end up working. it's a risk to sell him because he can't do something when you can't be sure what you want him to do will even work.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby bigblue » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:52 pm

Joe is about as City as you can get. I just worry that with Joe, Zabba, and maybe even Vinny soon to leave, we're going to lose most of the players who truly identify with the club and fans.

Joes been with us through all the ups and downs over the years. And more times than not was our standout performer in the CL and key PL games. Just seems undignified to offload someone like this, when they have contributed so much for so long to City

I always assumed he would retire at City. But even if he moves on, he's already a City legend
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:55 pm

bigblue wrote:Yeah but Joe is about as City as you can get. I just worry that with Joe, Zabba, and maybe even Vinny soon to leave, we're going to lose most of the players who truly identify with the club and fans.

Joes been with us through all the ups and downs over the years. And more times than not was our standout performer in the CL and key PL games. Just seems undignified to offload someone like this, when they have contributed so much for so long to City

I think this is a legitimate concern.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Breaking up clique for me. Time for change. Peps plan, peps team.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:14 pm

bigblue wrote:Joe is about as City as you can get. I just worry that with Joe, Zabba, and maybe even Vinny soon to leave, we're going to lose most of the players who truly identify with the club and fans.

I always assumed he would retire at City. But even if he moves on, he's already a City legend

He's not City to me. The way he loves the rags players, especially after we've just lost and he's running round holding hands with them smiling and joking. That's not City.

He's not been through any downs with us. Unless you're classing missing out on winning the league as a 'down'. There's only Edghill and Williams that are still with the club that have been with us through the 'downs'.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:18 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
bigblue wrote:Yeah but Joe is about as City as you can get. I just worry that with Joe, Zabba, and maybe even Vinny soon to leave, we're going to lose most of the players who truly identify with the club and fans.

I think this is a legitimate concern.

I agree for what it's worth, but surely we have to look to future heroes rather than let the past ones become a burden and just sit out their career in a comfort zone

One way or another, every single one of the first championship winning team will be gone in the next 2/3 seasons. Whilst that's a cause for concern from an identity and cultural perspective, it's equally the manager's call to suggest some players have been around too long and it's better for all concerned to move some of them on sooner rather than later. Eeess football!

In my opinion, if he is replaced Joe is likely to be collateral damage as much as anything else, and the footballing bit could well be secondary to Pep laying down a marker to the squad that nobody is safe, just the same as he did when he fucked Ronaldinho (amongst others) off in his first summer at Barca, who most thought was untouchable.
Last edited by Im_Spartacus on Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby sidSmith » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Seems things may not be as bad as they appear for him.

BBC
sidSmith
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby PrezIke » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Wooders wrote:

i reckon Willie got the nod because at least he tried to play the ball against Arsenal - Joe didn't bother so he was dropped

I raised this question as well.

Also, Doug, I am again not saying Willie is so great with the ball. I saw that pass as well, but I think it's not just distribution, it's just ball at feet in general and composure under pressure. Again I feel Willie is only marginally better than Joe and this also has to do with with training with the new style of play which Pep alluded to as another factor saying Willie has been doing well, hinting Joe has not.

However on MOTD they also referred to the moment where Willie came out as a sweeper keeper to clear the ball when we gave it away with Clichy and Sagna in the centre midfield leaving us exposed, suggesting Hart may also not be as comfortable coming that far out.
Last edited by PrezIke on Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby bigblue » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:29 pm

Mase wrote:
bigblue wrote:Joe is about as City as you can get. I just worry that with Joe, Zabba, and maybe even Vinny soon to leave, we're going to lose most of the players who truly identify with the club and fans.

He's not City to me. The way he loves the rags players, especially after we've just lost and he's running round holding hands with them smiling and joking. That's not City.

He's not been through any downs with us. Unless you're classing missing out on winning the league as a 'down'. There's only Edghill and Williams that are still with the club that have been with us through the 'downs'.

That's just silly to say about Joe, when at the same time being in love with a player who clearly doesn't care about winning a fraction of what Joe does:

https://streamable.com/peg0
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum