***Official: City v FCSB match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Official: City v FCSB match thread***

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:26 am

Didn't really take anything from the game. When you throw so many reserves in doesn't help anybody and those that would probably look good in a decent team naturally look a !even below.

Shame really, but understandable.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:32 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Didn't really take anything from the game. When you throw so many reserves in doesn't help anybody and those that would probably look good in a decent team naturally look a !even below.

Shame really, but understandable.

Had the feel of a preseason friendly, it makes up for the cancelled game in China.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:48 am

Opposition and game situation aside, last night showed again there are clearly many players on our books who are not currently of the required level
(despite the manager's remarks)

Yaya, Delph,Fernando,Navas, Tosin and both the young fullbacks on show, even Nacho is still some way short of a back up for Aguero. Nolito looked distinctly average along with Clichy and Kolarov - and we know about Joe - so that leaves Stones, who did nothing special either.

Disheartening.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:13 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Opposition and game situation aside, last night showed again there are clearly many players on our books who are not currently of the required level

Yaya, Delph,Fernando,Navas, Tosin and both the young fullbacks on show, even Nacho is still some way short of a back up for Aguero. Nolito looked distinctly average along with Clichy and Kolarov - and we know about Joe - so that leaves Stones, who did nothing special either.

Disheartening.

I think your post is a bit disheartening! Last night's game isn't a good one and certainly should not be seen as the definitive test to assess the stand in players. Not for the younger ones anyway.

Taking so many players out of a team at one go is always going to cause difficulties. Pep loves to control the middle of the park and he did again last night with a reserve side. Of course it was made easier by Steau's approach to the game but then the next part of the game became very hard.

Even if we broke through the initial shield, the pace at which we did it plus the control and movement ( or lack of it) meant we really created nothing.That certainly highlighted how much you miss players like Kun , Silva and KDB and Dinho. Yaya could have slotted in but last suggested to me he is totally shot and needs to move on. Delph can easily slot in if he is the only change in a team but not when there are so many. Pep gave him and the team a talking to at half time and they came out much brighter. Delph broke through once and then scored.

Fernando likewise can be ok and do a job but again not if he is one of many changes.He is a very limited player with little to contribute going forward. The 3 young lads did fine last night. Maffeo rightly got plaudits from the manager, Tosin slotted in well and could well be another John Stones ( doesn't Stones look serious quality) and Angelini was played out of position but showed tremendous enthusiasm.

Overall a crap match but I am sure very interesting for Pep to see the reserves in action to see if they can play the way he wants.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:13 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Opposition and game situation aside, last night showed again there are clearly many players on our books who are not currently of the required level

Disheartening.

Why put context aside? Just to have a good moan?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:16 pm

Disheartening.

Just the 10 players then and you didn't mention the only one we know is leaving.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby bigblue » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:52 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
sheblue wrote:Really hope nachos injury is not bad but it doesn't look good.

He walked out through the press area last night unaided apparently and looked fine. I hope he is OK but we have the international break after the weekend so it's a good time to get a knock if he needs some R&R.

He's ok! Big relief since injuries to promising young players are terrible

funny pic that he choose for himself too

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJglT_mBoIm/
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:03 pm

Disheartening.

i am stunned that anyone could find fault with nolito or stones at this point. i guess there's always one.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:07 pm

bigblue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

He walked out through the press area last night unaided apparently and looked fine. I hope he is OK but we have the international break after the weekend so it's a good time to get a knock if he needs some R&R.

by "okay" does he mean that he's not injured at all, or just that the incident wasnt life or career-threatening as it appeared?
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby bigblue » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:09 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
bigblue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

by "okay" does he mean that he's not injured at all, or just that the incident wasnt life or career-threatening as it appeared?

Probably both. I think you can just keep it simple and assume that he's okay
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:23 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:

Disheartening.

i am stunned that anyone could find fault with nolito or stones at this point. i guess there's always one.

'stunned' lol
wait till we lose a couple of games - you'll be comatised
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby bigblue » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:27 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:

Disheartening.

'stunned' lol

I'm more stunned that you could find so much wrong with us cursing through these two European games. Every other City team from the past 7 years would have made a right mess of this tie and squeaked through after conceding an early goal or two.

We won 1-0 with our B team and never looked like we were in trouble for the entire game. Simple, easy, on to the next one
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:34 pm

bigblue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:

Disheartening.

'stunned' lol

I'm more stunned that you could find so much wrong with us cursing through these two European games. Every other City team from the past 7 years would have made a right mess of this tie and squeaked through after conceding an early goal or two.

We won 1-0 with our B team and never looked like we were in trouble for the entire game. Simple, easy, on to the next one

You're all quite right, I was cursing while they were cruising - I'm expecting too much to soon I suppose - apologies to all you chaps taking me to task for spreading my unreasonable disappointment over the thread.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:44 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
bigblue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:

Disheartening.

'stunned' lol

You're all quite right, I was cursing while they were cruising - I'm expecting too much to soon I suppose - apologies to all you chaps taking me to task for spreading my unreasonable disappointment over the thread.

You spread your disappointment wherever you want, JC.

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby nottsblue » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:43 pm

nottsblue wrote:As in all cup competitions being in the draw for the next round is the most important thing. That's about the best I can say after that. We were through already in reality and you got the impression the players were saving themselves for the next match. A few of them will find out that is not good enough these days. Yaya, Fernando, Navas and to a degree Delph, won't be regular starters having not really grasped the nettle. I know Delph scored but he didn't really shine apart from a few touches and given the poor quality of the opponent I doubt it went unnoticed either by Pep.

Still we won again and a clean sheet is never a bad thing. We also have an extra days rest over West Ham who also have a much trickier tie tomorrow. Onwards to the next game

West Ham currently losing their home tie. Good. The more they have to chase the game the better for us
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby freshie » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:09 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
bigblue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:

Disheartening.

'stunned' lol

Cheer up you miserable bastard ;)

At least we haven't drawn Barca in the Chumps league
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:27 pm

nottsblue wrote:West Ham currently losing their home tie. Good. The more they have to chase the game the better for us

Playing a second string so probably won't make a blind bit of difference.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum