Title challengers

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Title challengers

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:02 am

Ask me again at Christmas! I don't though think it will be the big 7 or 8 way battle some pundits were predicting at the start. I expect by Xmas 3 or 4 teams will be opening up a gap, the ones already mentioned here. The rest don't look like living with the pace. Given that probably eight clubs would have been hoping for a CL spot that could mean sackings or spending in the January window.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby City64 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:55 am

Dippers are our biggest threat !
Title is ours to lose , an amazing season ahead I'm in dreamland and truely living the dream !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby ashton287 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:28 pm

Us, arsenal, liverpool and spurs.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby nottsblue » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:41 pm

Wonderwall wrote:I really cant stand the media hype if Liverpool are in the hunt, which I think they are. IMO they are our closest rivals looking at the performances of late.

Every media outlet will be behind them and all the old wankers will be wheeled out on each and every program with their view on how great this team is and comparing Klopp with Paisley yada yada yada.

I would much prefer them to crash and burn.

They are a despicable bunch. The media wankathon had already started. Hope they lose a couple more before it gets into full flow
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby patrickblue » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:54 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:I really cant stand the media hype if Liverpool are in the hunt, which I think they are. IMO they are our closest rivals looking at the performances of late.

Every media outlet will be behind them and all the old wankers will be wheeled out on each and every program with their view on how great this team is and comparing Klopp with Paisley yada yada yada.

I would much prefer them to crash and burn.

They are a despicable bunch. The media wankathon had already started. Hope they lose a couple more before it gets into full flow

The last time they were any good, I've never seen so many "legends" wheeled out.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby RodneyRodney » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:22 pm

Does anyone think United will be strengthened by the fact that they've dumped fatso and Pogba has finally arrived from France ?
They looked a lot more convincing against Leicester (who were admittedly poor at the back) . Start of a run ? I think Kane's absence will hurt Spurs , who could find themselves with a lot of ground to make up by Xmas. Chelsea look gash at the back.

Us, "them", Scousers & Gunners I reckon. Toffs dark horse for the top 4
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Blue In Bolton » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:25 pm

RodneyRodney wrote:Does anyone think United will be strengthened by the fact that they've dumped fatso and Pogba has finally arrived from France ?
They looked a lot more convincing against Leicester (who were admittedly poor at the back) . Start of a run ? I think Kane's absence will hurt Spurs , who could find themselves with a lot of ground to make up by Xmas. Chelsea look gash at the back.

Just wait for the media clamour to get the grannyshagger back in to their first 11 mate and they will revert back to type.
Blue In Bolton
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David White

Postby patrickblue » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:09 pm

Blue In Bolton wrote:
RodneyRodney wrote:Does anyone think United will be strengthened by the fact that they've dumped fatso and Pogba has finally arrived from France ?

Just wait for the media clamour to get the grannyshagger back in to their first 11 mate and they will revert back to type.

I'm hoping that wiggy is really as untouchable as he's appeared to be for the last few seasons.

If they stop shoehorning him in, and picking the team to suit him they are going to improve, big time.

As would England if anyone had the balls to drop him.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:15 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Blue In Bolton wrote:

I'm hoping that wiggy is really as untouchable as he's appeared to be for the last few seasons.

If they stop shoehorning him in, and picking the team to suit him they are going to improve, big time.

As would England if anyone had the balls to drop him.

On the other hand, if he's dropped permanently he may cause trouble within.

I do agree they are s better team without him but you may start to see a few nasty stories emanating from the swamp if Wiggy is upset.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:32 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I generally don't mind that scouse and spurs look a threat at the mo. I'm hoping they can be good enough to beat the shite to Euro spots. There could be trouble for the rags if they miss out again.
Liverpool are the danger in my opinion, shades of 2014 with their less congested fixture list.
What we must try to do is get a big enough lead in the league where we can rotate when the bigger games come around later in the season. Easier said than done. Winning our CL group would be a huge help too.

I agree with that. Liverpool seem like the biggest threat. Arsenal maybe. Spurs possibly. But Scouse victims definitely.

Should be a fun season. Our next month is a pepper mill. What a grind.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:33 am

Gringo Twatburger wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I generally don't mind that scouse and spurs look a threat at the mo. I'm hoping they can be good enough to beat the shite to Euro spots. There could be trouble for the rags if they miss out again.
Liverpool are the danger in my opinion, shades of 2014 with their less congested fixture list.
What we must try to do is get a big enough lead in the league where we can rotate when the bigger games come around later in the season. Easier said than done. Winning our CL group would be a huge help too.

I agree with that. Liverpool seem like the biggest threat. Arsenal maybe. Spurs possibly. But Scouse victims definitely.

Should be a fun season. Our next month is a pepper mill. What a grind.

Cheers

definitely the dippers. especially when you see the teams they have already played. they are going to be up there this season. Klopp has them playing decent football too.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby nottsblue » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Much as it goes against every belief I have, I am going to stick a few quid on the dippers for the title. Not fully because of today, but that does have a bearing on it, but I've just got a horrible feeling in the pit of my belly we aren't going to be good enough.

The dippers are the best of the rest IMO. At least then if they do win I'll have a few quid to soften the blow
nottsblue

Postby sheblue » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:53 pm

This will give the spuds a boost, but it's still a long way to go anything can happen.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby phips » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:09 pm

sheblue wrote:This will give the spuds a boost, but it's still a long way to go anything can happen.

long way yet but a little disheartening that they're surviving without Kane.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:27 pm

It's not long since we put 5 past Spurs at their place and 6 past them at home. Our squad was so much better. But they have taken 9 points out of the last 9 against us and finished above us last season. They were much better today.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:20 am

South Stand Balti wrote:....They were much better today.

Nah, just better and we were well below standard in terms of effort. The team was set up to struggle, there was no fluency in midfield until Gundogan replaced Fernando.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:32 pm

Coutinho out until New Years so he'll miss quite a few matches including ours.
Saul Goodman

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby nottsblue » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:00 pm

Rereading my original post and one or two other posts, it seems I for one have underestimated Chelsea and their defence especially. They seem to have found a rhythm and certainly have found the knack of winning. Still think without Costa they wouldn't be as potent but the hallmark of most champions is a solid defence. They seem to have that sorted and I seem to remember their last title was full of one goal victories. Dull as fuck but it got the job done
nottsblue

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:21 pm

Interesting. Prob wont happen:

Chelsea face the prospect of a points deduction for breaching FA Rule E20 five times in 19 months after the Etihad brawl last week. [Mirror]
Saul Goodman

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:06 pm

So Liverpool have a big week coming up.
im assuming theyll play a strong side midweek vs Soton, especially given how poor their youth side looked over the weekend.

But then they have United this coming weekend. Do we actually root for United so we can close the gap to Liverpool?
Saul Goodman

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum