Knee jerk thread, last season deja vu?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Knee jerk thread, last season deja vu?

Postby mr_nool » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:00 am

OK, Pep the Messiah is here and he has converted Kolarov to a - before last night at least - half decent centre back and has got Sterling to once again find his Liverpool form and beyond. But isn't there the faintest feeling of déjà vu in the air?

Last season we also started fabulously in an attacking sense and blew all teams away - until KDB got injured.
We were frail in defense and struggled when teams closed us down, but it was OK as long as we scored more goals than the opponents.

This season, we have brought in some attacking reinforcements (of which Gundo and Sane still are not really contributing), but Stones is the only real addition in the back-line (not counting Bravo). Is Pep's magic strong enough, or will we be found out once again, when teams realise that there is something to get if you only put us under pressure? It was to some degree there to see in the league game against Swansea, and last night it was glaring obvious.

The next two league games to in-form teams will be huge. If we succumb to pressure and let the opposition pressure us into making defensive mistakes, it might show that the Pep way isn't the right way in England - at least not with the limited quality we got at the back ...

[putting my helmet on and go sit in the corner waiting for the abuse]
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Re: Knee jerk thread, last season deja vu?

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:03 am

It crossed my mind.
The next month will tell a lot.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:37 am

I don't agree that we started fabulously last season, results wise maybe but we weren't playing all that well. By game 5 last season against Palace we were awful and stole the 3 points with a last minute winner.

The next game against West Ham was our first real test and we failed it miserably, compare that to last night, we showed character that just was not there at all last season.

There's a completely different feel about the squad/team this season, that's not to say we're brilliant and we're going to win at all but I can assure you we will not throw the towel in this season like we did last time out when the going got tough.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby gillie » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:46 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I don't agree that we started fabulously last season, results wise maybe but we weren't playing all that well. By game 5 last season against Palace we were awful and stole the 3 points with a last minute winner.

The next game against West Ham was our first real test and we failed it miserably, compare that to last night, we showed character that just was not there at all last season.

There's a completely different feel about the squad/team this season, that's not to say we're brilliant and we're going to win at all but I can assure you we will not throw the towel in this season like we did last time out when the going got tough.

Exactly mate last season we would have got a battering last night. We would have got beat 4 or 5.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:46 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I don't agree that we started fabulously last season, results wise maybe but we weren't playing all that well. By game 5 last season against Palace we were awful and stole the 3 points with a last minute winner. The next game against West Ham was our first real test and we failed it miserably, compare that to last night, we showed character that just was not there at all last season. There's a completely different feel about the squad/team this season, that's not to say we're brilliant and we're going to win at all but I can assure you we will not throw the towel in this season like we did last time out when the going got tough.

+1 (except the bit in blue ;))
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:49 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I don't agree that we started fabulously last season, results wise maybe but we weren't playing all that well. By game 5 last season against Palace we were awful and stole the 3 points with a last minute winner.

against West Ham last season we hammered them at home and they got a smash and grab. The best team lost that day, but it was a sign of what was to follow. we need to be more clinical in front of goal.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:56 am

Wonderwall wrote:

against West Ham last season we hammered them at home and they got a smash and grab. The best team lost that day, but it was a sign of what was to follow. we need to be more clinical in front of goal.

The second half we dominated them but we could've been 3 down before we even got going.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:56 am

Wonderwall wrote:

was going to post the very same
celtic had 3 attempts on target last night...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:59 am

johnny crossan wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I don't agree that we started fabulously last season, results wise maybe but we weren't playing all that well. By game 5 last season against Palace we were awful and stole the 3 points with a last minute winner. The next game against West Ham was our first real test and we failed it miserably, compare that to last night, we showed character that just was not there at all last season. There's a completely different feel about the squad/team this season, that's not to say we're brilliant and we're going to win at all but I can assure you we will not throw the towel in this season like we did last time out when the going got tough.

+1 (except the bit in blue ;))

There should be an it there instead of an at, predictive text aargh!
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby PeterParker » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:11 am

Nool is making some strong points above, to be fair.

I want to add something. Until now, most of the decisions came our way. All of you remember what happend with Spurs last yeas, by this time. We were one up, then they scored four dubious goals and it finished 4-1 instead of us winning, like we should have. Until now, things were somehow normal.

I am worried about the overconfidence of our squad. I saw that with Swansea and we saw that last night also. This is a major factor also, to think that we are better than we actually are. We are good, we are maybe the best team in the league, but we have a lot of things to work on. We are a morale team, or at least, were. After we lost a game, we struggle to find our rhythm, this is what we need to fix, because we will lose game. At this level is almost impossible not too.

I also am under the impression that we are missing a winger and a midfielder. With the winger we will solve it with Jesus in january, but in the middle are still problems because basically we have a triangle: Dave, Fern, Tin Tin. Fernando is there, but his game is limited while Gundogan looks very slow so far. We also needed Delphinho, but ... he is injured, so we need another one there. Garcia might be a solution, and I think he should.

We basically have almost the same team as last year and things will be interesting to see if they know how to solve what they did fail in the last two seasons.
Last edited by PeterParker on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:14 am

mr_nool wrote:OK, Pep the Messiah is here and he has converted Kolarov to a - before last night at least - half decent centre back and has got Sterling to once again find his Liverpool form and beyond. But isn't there the faintest feeling of déjà vu in the air?

Last season we also started fabulously in an attacking sense and blew all teams away - until KDB got injured.
We were frail in defense and struggled when teams closed us down, but it was OK as long as we scored more goals than the opponents.

This season, we have brought in some attacking reinforcements (of which Gundo and Sane still are not really contributing), but Stones is the only real addition in the back-line (not counting Bravo). Is Pep's magic strong enough, or will we be found out once again, when teams realise that there is something to get if you only put us under pressure? It was to some degree there to see in the league game against Swansea, and last night it was glaring obvious.

The next two league games to in-form teams will be huge. If we succumb to pressure and let the opposition pressure us into making defensive mistakes, it might show that the Pep way isn't the right way in England - at least not with the limited quality we got at the back ...

[putting my helmet on and go sit in the corner waiting for the abuse]

No need to don your helmet and there's no need for any abuse, for what was a thoughtful post, Mr Nool.

I've never agonised about City having a fragile defence, as long as we're scoring freely and, in any event, we're now 'stuck' with the defenders/players we have, or at least until the January window arrives.

In order to continue the excellent start we've had to the season, the main thing we need to work on, to my mind, is the attacking side of the equation. We're not scoring enough, by comparison to our approach play and the number of chances we're creating overall.

Last night, I feel we could/should have scored one or two more goals and, if we had, perhaps this thread, although completely valid, would have assumed a more academic aspect. Moreover, if we're going to adopt a high pressure pressing game, we can't expect other teams not to do the same to us and defensive and midfield ball playing skills (which we have in abundance) will be of paramount importance to overcome such opposition tactics. We've just got to be better at it than other sides.

Moreover, it's still early days in our attempts to play the 'Pep way' and, as the season progresses, our growing experience and confidence in this particular style and approach will see us surely prevail. Don't forget, sides such as Spurs and Liverpool have had a head start on us, with regard to the pressing approach, having both used it for last season under their respective managers so, in a way, we're playing catch up with some of our rivals.

We've come a surprisingly long way already, in a short space of time. We're going to improve further and when Sane and Gundogan are up to speed, we won't miss players such as KDB, when they're out injured and we have a big enough and talented enough squad anyway.

As I said previously, we just need to work on our attacking play to make us even more deadly and increase the fear factor further, in all our opponents.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:22 am

1st goal offside
2nd goal heavily deflected
3rd gift-wrapped

We came back to equalise after each one. Yeah, we were poor and panicky for large parts, but we'll be alright.

The invincibles talk from some on here was cringey af, but going in the opposite direction after yesterday would be equally knee-jerk.
Last edited by I Just Blue Myself on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby ashton287 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:23 am

Last season we would have lost last night 4/5-1.

We started without our first choice CB's and 2 left backs on the pitch.

Pep couldn't have anticipated such a drastic change in celtic last night and cultic played out of their skins because Rodgers fucking hates us, most of Celtics "fans" are rags and Liverpool fans so they pushed everyone on.

Won't happen again and spurs won't have it so easy playing against stones and possibly Kompany.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby City64 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:00 am

Spurs Sunday now chaps . We are top of the league , let's move on eh ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:47 am

as long as we're knee-jerking off, I am going to vent about gundogan. coming from the high pressure style of Dortmund he should have thrived last night but instead he went into absolute hiding! left poor Fernandinho to rot on defence. also had at least 2 gilt edged chances to score - including 1 near the death that would have won the match - and just choked. pep was as livid as I was.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:53 am

Sideshow Bob wrote:as long as we're knee-jerking off, I am going to vent about gundogan. coming from the high pressure style of Dortmund he should have thrived last night but instead he went into absolute hiding! left poor Fernandinho to rot on defence. also had at least 2 gilt edged chances to score - including 1 near the death that would have won the match - and just choked. pep was as livid as I was.

Poor Fernandinho? He was all at sea, his reading of the game was non-existent and left us exposed time and again. Not defending Gundogan, thought he was too slow in the press but he was no worse than poor Fernandinho and many others.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:00 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:as long as we're knee-jerking off, I am going to vent about gundogan. coming from the high pressure style of Dortmund he should have thrived last night but instead he went into absolute hiding! left poor Fernandinho to rot on defence. also had at least 2 gilt edged chances to score - including 1 near the death that would have won the match - and just choked. pep was as livid as I was.

Poor Fernandinho? He was all at sea, his reading of the game was non-existent and left us exposed time and again. Not defending Gundogan, thought he was too slow in the press but he was no worse than poor Fernandinho and many others.

true, fern was not at his best, but he gets a pass from me b/c he was trying to cover acres of space on his own. even yaya would have helped him more than gundogan did last night. i blame phips.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:08 pm

Reluctant to criticise him after such a long lay off and change of team, league and manager etc - he can only get better than last night's performance.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:41 pm

City64 wrote:Spurs Sunday now chaps . We are top of the league , let's move on eh ?

There's a case of Stella tins to sink right? I feel ya Holmes.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm not worried at all, partially because I've not gotten carried away and partially because we've not changed much other than a few players out. This early into such a drastic system it's normal to be shaky when it's attacked. I can't remember the last time a team pressed goalkeeper with 3 players all game. They went to rattle us and did and stiller didn't lose. I'm happy.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum