***barca v pep's city official match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***barca v pep's city official match thread***

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:53 pm

BookJunior wrote:
roblues wrote:
sheblue wrote:A shocking and deeply worrying performance. Utterly pathetic on all fronts.

Utterly pathetic, yes. Shocking? Surely not if you're used to watching City. Deeply worrying? Not sure - the plan was still obvious, the goals that mattered (and don't get me wrong, 3 and 4 still really hurt) came because of individual errors that may or may not be systematic, but if Pep doesn't get on to those who basically gave up at 0-1 I will echo your worries. Time to show what he is really made of now.

Jose Mourinho is more pragmatic and ground out a 0-0 draw.

I prefer pragmatism in games like this.

Equal record defeat for Pep
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby sheblue » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:54 pm

nottsblue wrote:
sheblue wrote:A shocking and deeply worrying performance. Utterly pathetic on all fronts.

Disagree a bit here. We had some individual errors that led directly to goals but our general play was good up to the sending off. We caused them problems and on a different day could have been 2-1 up. The formation and tactics were not the problem.

We gave the ball away constantly. We played with no real threat up front. We made schoolboy mistakes, not some many far far too many. We just can't keep making excuses. Ifs buts and maybes don't cut the mustard.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:55 pm

We'll pump them at home. I'm really confident.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby sheblue » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:58 pm

KinkyKinkladze wrote:We'll pump them at home. I'm really confident.

On tonight's effort, The only thing of quality we will pump will be the ball......
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby roblues » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:59 pm

BookJunior wrote:
roblues wrote:

Utterly pathetic, yes. Shocking? Surely not if you're used to watching City. Deeply worrying? Not sure - the plan was still obvious, the goals that mattered (and don't get me wrong, 3 and 4 still really hurt) came because of individual errors that may or may not be systematic, but if Pep doesn't get on to those who basically gave up at 0-1 I will echo your worries. Time to show what he is really made of now.

I get what you're saying, and particularly at 0-1 we could have looked to settle the game down a bit rather than keeping our original shape and letting things drift, but I don't think our attacking instincts were the reason we got beat, or the reason Fern's slip saw us concede.
roblues
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:00 pm

nottsblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:But of course. that's essentially been the difference between the two sides. They have taken their chances, we haven't

Not really NB.
They don't make so many stupid decisions and crazy mistakes.
There were times when you wondered had any of our players been introduced to each other.

But we had six or seven really good scoring opportunities and scored none. They had about the same and got four. Had we taken ours when we were on top then it's a different result

I agree totally that we are not clinical enough, but that is not the essential difference between the teams. Everyone of them has a football brain and the technique to match it. They don't make as many errors in judgement which in turn doesn't put themselves in the ridiculous situations we habitually put ourselves in.

True goals change games and God knows what if we had gone in st 1-1.

But I'd bet we would still have done something stupid to fuck things up.

They are still a level above us and that is mentally as well as technically.

Still let's be positive and see if we learn anything. Then go out and do them at the Etihad. Maybe? No?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby PeterParker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:00 pm

roblues wrote:
BookJunior wrote:
roblues wrote:

I get what you're saying, and particularly at 0-1 we could have looked to settle the game down a bit rather than keeping our original shape and letting things drift, but I don't think our attacking instincts were the reason we got beat, or the reason Fern's slip saw us concede.

Things could had been very different with a penno in our favour at the last chance from the first half.

But still, all was shite.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Duckman » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:04 pm

private dick/family man
Duckman
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva, Kompany, Yaya

Postby Original Dub » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:05 pm

Amazing prediction mr. Tackle.

You read it perfectly. Well done.

Logging off for a while i think
Original Dub

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:06 pm

take that down mate
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:07 pm

Original Dub wrote:Amazing prediction mr. Tackle.

You read it perfectly. Well done.

Logging off for a while i think

but i keep being told everything is great and that i am boring
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:12 pm

It could be that Joe for Bravo is Peps biggest mistake.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:12 pm

KinkyKinkladze wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Disagree a bit here. We had some individual errors that led directly to goals but our general play was good up to the sending off. We caused them problems and on a different day could have been 2-1 up. The formation and tactics were not the problem.

Absolutely this.

I'll be honest, I'm completely baffled by the outrage here. It might say 4 nil but anybody who watched that tonight will by no means think they embarrassed us.

Thrashed will do for SS. Now the reports will come.

We played well, what we would expect, but as a manager you have to play to your strengths or change the players?

How do you change such players in October - January?

But why aren't we changing? That game proved to me that the manager isn't able, or willing to change, unable to adapt to the players he has.

We'll just have to wait for the right players, which is an issue for me.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby branny » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:13 pm

blues2win wrote:Say what you like we were right in it until Willy's gift. Not outclassed in any way. 10 men against Barca away was inevitably a mismatch.

That's a big problem against Barca. We can't seem to get through 90 minutes against these lot with 11 men on the pitch and invariably it's always one of the back line that manages to get sent off.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby nottsblue » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:14 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:But of course. that's essentially been the difference between the two sides. They have taken their chances, we haven't

Not really NB.
There were times when you wondered had any of our players been introduced to each other.

But we had six or seven really good scoring opportunities and scored none. They had about the same and got four. Had we taken ours when we were on top then it's a different result

I agree totally that we are not clinical enough, but that is not the essential difference between the teams. Everyone of them has a football brain and the technique to match it. They don't make as many errors in judgement which in turn doesn't put themselves in the ridiculous situations we habitually put ourselves in.

Still let's be positive and see if we learn anything. Then go out and do them at the Etihad. Maybe? No?

In terms of football brains and tactical astuteness they are ahead of us, of that there is no question. My comment of the finishing was the difference between the two teams was based solely on tonight's game. They were just more clinical in front of goal here as we seemed to freeze or rush the shot or chances we had. We are at least a couple of years behind them in terms of decision making, mental attitude, and arguably game management but we are a work in progress and we are still learning and we will improve
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Redna » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:17 pm

I blame the spanish state. Not Sorting out the catalan matter. I blame Franco. I blame the spanish tax organisation NoT to damper their wealth. The referee was sort of OK. Where were our studs? Slipping and sliding all over the place.
This will be a shit week. I can feel it.
And why the hell didn't we show up in the blue shirt. This clown coloured Third kit sucks.
No beer. It's all over the fire place.
Good night.
cTID
"A man's gotta do what his women says"
Redna
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods own
My favourite player is: Ron Jeremy

Postby freshie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:19 pm

3 or 1 match European ban for Bravo? I would have thought just the one as it wasn't violent conduct

Edit: Having said that a 3 match ban might increase our chances of getting out of the group (Can't believe I'd rather have Willy in net)
Last edited by freshie on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:19 pm

nottsblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Not really NB.

In terms of football brains and tactical astuteness they are ahead of us, of that there is no question. My comment of the finishing was the difference between the two teams was based solely on tonight's game. They were just more clinical in front of goal here as we seemed to freeze or rush the shot or chances we had. We are at least a couple of years behind them in terms of decision making, mental attitude, and arguably game management but we are a work in progress and we are still learning and we will improve

Indeed. It's frustrating seeing us do this every year in Europe, but I wouldn't press the panic button just yet.
I still like what he is trying to do, but I don't think we currently have the personnel.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby sheblue » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:21 pm

freshie wrote:3 or 1 match European ban for Bravo? I would have thought just the one as it wasn't violent conduct

Edit: Having said that a 3 match ban might increase our chances of getting out of the group (Can't believe I'd rather have Willy in net)

Please let it be 3 ;)
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Made the last train to Sitges about the only thing to smile about. The mistakes are unreal, is it the Lager or did we look a better side at times.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum