What does "Gundogan" actually do?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Gundogan

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:20 pm

Gundogan is pretty good footballer though. That I know. Whether he can eventually get used to British football is another thing but he is genuinely very good.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: Gundogen

Postby nottsblue » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:21 pm

I like him.

He is a player who could be here for five or six years. I for one won't judge him on five or six games. He is finding his feet in a new country, a new league, a new manager and a different way of playing that he has been accustomed to. On top of that he has had no pre-season after coming back from a serious injury.

If he is still at this level after a year or so then that is a different matter. But he is not the only one who looks a little off the pace. Silva and Kun to name two haven't been at their best the last few weeks. Nor has KDB. It is a team game and the established players should be the ones stepping up to the plate and ensuring the new lads fit in. Looking at Sterlings performances this season as a whole you'd think he was the senior player in the team, not a young lad of 21. He's showing maturity beyond his years.

Had we not suffered about 15/20 games worth of bad luck over the past five games we wouldn't be talking about this. Gundogan, though he hasn't been great hasn't been at fault directly for a lot of the individual errors which have cost us, certainly less than the defence.

He is a class player who will find his feet
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby phips » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:22 pm

Needs to be on the bench
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby zuricity » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:22 pm

Mase wrote:
zuricity wrote:Phew ! clutching at straws here, i think.

Two gifts st Spurs( Kola and Zabs),

Stones jumping in against Everton allowing the pass to get through ( and clichy not taking Lukaku out on the half way line)

Two penalty misses.

Ferdie's slip , Kev's bad pass, Stones's leaving the ball for the goalie,

The goalie bad pass and Red card.

Today, Stones's back pass.

Yeah , blame Gündogan for not being upto scratch yet.

Btw , haven't got to kün yet ....

So our whole play hasn't slowed down since he's been put in the team?

Like OD mentioned, the guys been out for so long now it will take him time to get up to speed. So that could be why he's slowing us down.

But we haven't looked the same since he's come in.

I don't think anyone has said the individual mistakes are his fault, unless I've missed that?

no you or anyelse has said they are his fault.

However , this thread would not exist if AS
a team, we had not blown at least 4 of the last 7 that have been dropped , away by individual and somewhat silly mistakes.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby zuricity » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:50 pm

Mase wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:so ponderous and slow it's untrue. where is the player who used to run games for Dortmund???

Slow? He showed a great turn of speed to have the Barca goalie pull off a great reaction save to stop us equalising 1-1.

This really is a knee jerk thread.

Turn of speed?! He beat Pique who was already injured!! Pique literally just dropped to the floor. And then Gundogan had a shot and put it close to the keeper.

Do you like Gundogan more than I like Kolarov? Yes.

Nope not at all . I must say i too am still not convinced, but because we drop two points i find it strange to pick him out for 'slowing the game down' , when god knows how many times the final ball in the box was poor today from Silva,Sane and particularly sterling.
Last edited by zuricity on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Silva was worse today
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Knee jerk thread as someone said. Why the hell does somebody have to be picked on to " explain " why are not playing well.The reality is that we, the team , are not playing well and within that a number of individuals are far from their best. Today I would say Silva, Kevin ,Sergio,Raheem were far from their best plus John Stones and yes Gundogan.

You don't win many games with a whole bunch of key players not playing well and especially againsy a team like Soton who were very well organised and happy with a draw. Pep will sort it
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby sheblue » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:02 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Knee jerk thread as someone said. Why the hell does somebody have to be picked on to " explain " why are not playing well.The reality is that we, the team , are not playing well and within that a number of individuals are far from their best. Today I would say Silva, Kevin ,Sergio,Raheem were far from their best plus John Stones and yes Gundogan.

You don't win many games with a whole bunch of key players not playing well and especially againsy a team like Soton who were very well organised and happy with a draw. Pep will sort it

Exactly. Drop Gundogan all the problems are solved! kolarov learns how to defend, aguero passes, stones don't fuck up simple passes, we actually take a chance, it's all his fault.... :cry:
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:09 pm

sheblue wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Knee jerk thread as someone said. Why the hell does somebody have to be picked on to " explain " why are not playing well.The reality is that we, the team , are not playing well and within that a number of individuals are far from their best. Today I would say Silva, Kevin ,Sergio,Raheem were far from their best plus John Stones and yes Gundogan.

Exactly. Drop Gundogan all the problems are solved! kolarov learns how to defend, aguero passes, stones don't fuck up simple passes, we actually take a chance, it's all his fault.... :cry:

No no no. Dropping Gundo will not stop Stones from giving soft goals away. He's was doing that at Everton for the last 18 months and Gundo wasn't there.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mase » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:26 pm

Fuckin idiots some of you. You can't actually read what's in front of you! No one has mentioned the basic errors that are being made in this thread. It's our attacking play that's been effected.

I'll break it down nice and simple for some of you:

Has our play slowed down (for whatever reason including he's just coming back from a long injury) - Yes

Since he's been starting has our system changed - Yes

Are the basic fuck ups that individuals are making that are costing goals Gundogan's fault - No

Is he a quality player - Yes

You can't argue that our attacking play has slowed down since he's come in.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby phips » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:02 pm

haven't you figured it out? people here dont actually read or think about what other people post before replying.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:21 am

As I see it, the combination between Gundogan and Fernandinho hasn't really clicked yet. I think it will. If it doesn't for a while, they can be rotated for a bit, study the other's game and so on.

He's a good player but neither he - nor Fernandinho for that matter - are helped by an over-congested six-man midfield, a system none of our lads are used to, except perhaps Silva who has played it a little bit for Spain.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:55 am

Underwhelmed so far.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby PeterParker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:31 am

My take on this is that we have too many playmakers in first eleven and they look like they are stepping on eachothers toes. Tin Tin, Silva and Gundogan are class, but all together, they look like they can't work at the moment and we need wingers. We are forcing teams from the middle with one-two's seem not to work.

And to add to that, you can see in his game he is more reluctant that he used to be. Trying to protect himself more than he should.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:14 am

The best pass completion in the PL, Still settling in and had a year out.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:26 am

Hazy2 wrote:The best pass completion in the PL, Still settling in and had a year out.

Remember when we took the piss out of Carrick passing backwards and sideways?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:28 am

Mase wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:The best pass completion in the PL, Still settling in and had a year out.

According to Squawka 60% of his passes are forward.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:38 am

Mase wrote:

I have always rated Carrick, Mase, he won them the Derby last year at our place IMO. Gundo is gonna be a great player for us no doubts for me.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:22 pm

Mase wrote:

His passing might have been just an incidental 'casualty', could it have been more because of who he played for ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:32 pm

Funny you mention Carrick there Mase.

That font of football knowledge that is Tim Sherwood had this to say t'other day.

'Michael Carrick is the first name on a Premier League team sheet in my opinion,’ Sherwood told BT Sport.

‘Man City are crying out for a Michael Carrick. They play with Fernando or Fernandinho in there. They are good at what they do but they can’t do what he can do. They can’t link the play like Michael Carrick.

‘When Pep Guardiola was at Barcelona, he had Sergio Busquets doing that. He had Xabi Alonso doing that at Bayern Munich.

‘Michael Carrick is a replica of them players and if Man United don’t want him, Man City will buy him in January.’
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum