safe standing

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

safe standing

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:04 pm

ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Re: safe standing

Postby nottsblue » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:25 pm

There is apparently no increase in capacity with safe standing. Can't for the life of me think why not myself. I would happily see a return of standing areas to stadiums in the top two divisions myself. Hillsborough was a terrible tragedy but a lot of the problems were not the standing area itself but the area outside the ground and the policing of said area.

I wouldn't advocate the return of large standing areas such as the Kippax or the Kop or the North Bank or Stretford End. More so small areas of say twenty or thirty steps of terracing. A bit like the United Road Stand at the swamp. Enough to get a bit of atmosphere going but not in a bank big enough to cause problems of overcrowding. It sadly won't happen I don't think.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:25 pm

Just has to. All of those from a certain era will understand why we were treated the way we were but the reality is that it should never have been that way, and one that clubs and the government wouldn't have got away with today. This has been far too long in the making and if it goes to a vote, and the powers that be are happy, then it should be pushed through immediately, before we start work on a new stand.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:28 pm

nottsblue wrote:There is apparently no increase in capacity with safe standing. Can't for the life of me think why not myself. I would happily see a return of standing areas to stadiums in the top two divisions myself. Hillsborough was a terrible tragedy but a lot of the problems were not the standing area itself but the area outside the ground and the policing of said area.

I wouldn't advocate the return of large standing areas such as the Kippax or the Kop or the North Bank or Stretford End. More so small areas of say twenty or thirty steps of terracing. A bit like the United Road Stand at the swamp. Enough to get a bit of atmosphere going but not in a bank big enough to cause problems of overcrowding. It sadly won't happen I don't think.

From all I have read there is an increase of anything between 1.2 to 1.8 per seat. Whether true or not, standing creates a better atmosphere and there is no reason now for it to go ahead.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:44 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
nottsblue wrote:There is apparently no increase in capacity with safe standing. Can't for the life of me think why not myself. I would happily see a return of standing areas to stadiums in the top two divisions myself. Hillsborough was a terrible tragedy but a lot of the problems were not the standing area itself but the area outside the ground and the policing of said area.

From all I have read there is an increase of anything between 1.2 to 1.8 per seat. Whether true or not, standing creates a better atmosphere and there is no reason now for it to go ahead.

The article states there is no increase in capacity as each seat just has one ticket sold. Fully in agreement about better atmosphere. Also that there is no justification for it not to happen. I just think the FA will pander to the scousers and the JFT96 as they will obviously have a different viewpoint.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:44 pm

Hillsborough was the catalyst that brought us all seater stadia, however, it also brought down the fences/cages we were trapped by. If there were no fences at Hillsborough, everyone would have spilled on the pitch and there would have been injuries, not deaths. I can see safe standing making a return soon. Not for me though, been there and done that, happy to watch in SS L3.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Dameerto » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:06 am

nottsblue wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

The article states there is no increase in capacity as each seat just has one ticket sold. Fully in agreement about better atmosphere. Also that there is no justification for it not to happen. I just think the FA will pander to the scousers and the JFT96 as they will obviously have a different viewpoint.

I haven't read the article but it depends how it's implemented - if they go the Celtic route then it would involve chairs that can be locked in an upright position to allow standing behind barriers along each row (so presumably people would get tickets as though they were seated, with the stadium capacity remaining the same as fully seated) and the numbers and crowd flow could be managed down to an individual level. That's not the only way of doing it though.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:26 am

Wonderwall wrote:Hillsborough was the catalyst that brought us all seater stadia, however, it also brought down the fences/cages we were trapped by. If there were no fences at Hillsborough, everyone would have spilled on the pitch and there would have been injuries, not deaths. I can see safe standing making a return soon. Not for me though, been there and done that, happy to watch in SS L3.

Even now I still prefer to stand. There's something walking up to a game and just leaning on bar that I can't get out of me ;-)

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:21 am

This should be a no brainer. All seater stadiums have killed atmosphere in English football grounds, it's like a massive peaceful protest with everyone sitting down. The only proper atmosphere created is in the away fan sections because they're usually standing.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:18 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Hillsborough was the catalyst that brought us all seater stadia, however, it also brought down the fences/cages we were trapped by. If there were no fences at Hillsborough, everyone would have spilled on the pitch and there would have been injuries, not deaths. I can see safe standing making a return soon. Not for me though, been there and done that, happy to watch in SS L3.

Even now I still prefer to stand. There's something walking up to a game and just leaning on bar that I can't get out of me ;-)

Are you the bloke in front of me in 205?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby zuricity » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:39 am

Beefymcfc wrote:

Whilst you're leaning on the Bar can you order those two pints that CARL owes me ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:11 pm

zuricity wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Whilst you're leaning on the Bar can you order those two pints that CARL owes me ?

I was supposed to see the Barca game as I was in London recently and made arrangements to go up to Manchester with some friends ((..(not sure if you made it or not) anyway..I couldn't get to the game in the end due to work commitments.........anywayyyyyyyyyyyy Im sure we will meet up before the end of the season....and the milky bars are on me!
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby zuricity » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:57 pm

CARL.... Top Banana !

Probably the CL final in Cardiff. :lol:
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:02 pm

zuricity wrote:CARL.... Top Banana !

Probably the CL final in Cardiff. :lol:

Sounds like a plan.!
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:15 pm

The question should not be 'Safe Standing' but 'Safer Standing'. Every club I have been to has an area where the majority stand and make an atmosphere, and they are in an unsafe position due to the seating and no handrail. This should be pushed rather than consulting on the former.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:44 pm

liverpool fans have spoken.
and obviously it's only their opinion that counts.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40767568
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:liverpool fans have spoken.
and obviously it's only their opinion that counts.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40767568

They should be the last cunts to speak.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nick » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:51 pm

I started the topic on BM, has to happen

We've had to relocate, again, just over one block, shitter view and probably pissed wet, but sick of showsec. Lads in front moved too.

The atmosphere is the worst it's ever been, with probably the best team we've had. I'm embarrassed at what the players must think.

I know I'm beating the same drum but no idea why south stand are so piss poor for a full standing tier. Makes no sense.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:30 pm

I saw a pic of a sample at the new spuds ground, have they got approval for rail seating?

And when u sit down (purportedly for European games) does the rail not obscure your view
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Shakermaker90 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Interesting piece on safe standing here from a British lad living in Russia, doesn't go into too much detail about the rules regarding SS over here, but gives a reasonable picture of the pluses of being able to stand

https://www.otbfootball.net/safe-standi ... -or-wrong/
Shakermaker90
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum