Selling blunders

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Selling blunders

Postby Crossie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Selling Paul Walsh for Gerry Creaney and a million was absolutely terrible business.

Walsh is a right cunt now but he was a great player in a team that wasn't far off being decent.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:24 pm

denis suarez.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Mase » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:21 pm

Crossie wrote:Selling Paul Walsh for Gerry Creaney and a million was absolutely terrible business.

Walsh is a right cunt now but he was a great player in a team that wasn't far off being decent.

This!! My favourite player at the time! Bastards!!!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Spurge » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Savic

Agree, I know we can all say benefit of hindsight but he wasn't really given long to prove himself at city
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:46 am

Spurge wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Savic

Agree, I know we can all say benefit of hindsight but he wasn't really given long to prove himself at city

He was fkn shit at city, the worse player to play more than 5 games of the last 15 years if you ask me. I reckon any defender would look half decent beside Godin in a team that is bulit so well and work so hard, im not saying he hasnt improved since he left but there was nothing to suggest he was even close enough to be good enough for us, he nearly single handedly cost us the title in 11/12. If you have any doubts just re watch the spurs at home game, you wont see a worse central defender performance from us in a long time.

I thought selling david whyte for rocastle was a mistake and still do.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john@staustell » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:25 am

Crossie wrote:Selling Paul Walsh for Gerry Creaney and a million was absolutely terrible business.

I've told the story before but his heart was never at City. At that time I worked for a firm based in London who had a box at Palace. Cos no one wanted to see City I could get tickets when we played there so me and my then 9 year old lad went and afterwards you used to share the 'members bar' with the players.

Despite the usual defeat I resolved to get the autographs for the lad, as you did in those days. Walsh was first out the shower and into the bar. "Alright Alright hang on' he said before grumpily signing the programme. He then bought (?) a couple of bottles of beer and put them in his holdall before fucking off into London for a Saturday night out. Keith Curle and David Brightwell (I nearly took it all back!!) were politeness itself and took us round the whole team to meet and sign, despite their obvious disappointment.

A little later Walsh was on Soccer am, comparing Liverpool to Tottenham aftermatch stops - the Dippers was fish and chip[s whereas Spurs were a nice meal out. Russ Williams asked him about City - 'ho ho, lucky to get an apple and an orange' he said.

So yes it was shit business but he was always a cunt.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:50 pm

john@staustell wrote:

I've told the story before but his heart was never at City. At that time I worked for a firm based in London who had a box at Palace. Cos no one wanted to see City I could get tickets when we played there so me and my then 9 year old lad went and afterwards you used to share the 'members bar' with the players.

Despite the usual defeat I resolved to get the autographs for the lad, as you did in those days. Walsh was first out the shower and into the bar. "Alright Alright hang on' he said before grumpily signing the programme. He then bought (?) a couple of bottles of beer and put them in his holdall before fucking off into London for a Saturday night out. Keith Curle and David Brightwell (I nearly took it all back!!) were politeness itself and took us round the whole team to meet and sign, despite their obvious disappointment.

A little later Walsh was on Soccer am, comparing Liverpool to Tottenham aftermatch stops - the Dippers was fish and chip[s whereas Spurs were a nice meal out. Russ Williams asked him about City - 'ho ho, lucky to get an apple and an orange' he said.

So yes it was shit business but he was always a cunt.

Walsh wasn't really that good either though. Ok player but that's it. It's the Gerry Creaney and the million part that has kept people saying over the years that getting rid of Paul Walsh was a mistake.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum