What does Phil Foden actually do?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What does Phil Foden actually do?

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Should be on the bench v Arsenal. Whether or not Pep has any intention of playing him is not important. The fact that he acknowledges the achievements of Foden, and the other City Academy under 17 players as it happens, by putting him in a match day squad would be an immense boost to all concerned at the Academy.

He's not ready for the bench or the PL team yet, just too young and he looks it. Will only turn 18 next May!

wasn't he on the bench for the first couple of league games this season?!
what he looks like shouldn't come into it. he's just been recognised as the best 17 year old in the world.

That was because of a shortage of senior players - there was no-one else. The point of a bench is to provide tactical options and injury cover, unless he's the best available for those eventualities he shouldn't be there. It's not a reward for being really promising, he has to be a better than the rest. When all of the senior squad is fit he isn't - yet.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:36 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Should be on the bench v Arsenal. Whether or not Pep has any intention of playing him is not important. The fact that he acknowledges the achievements of Foden, and the other City Academy under 17 players as it happens, by putting him in a match day squad would be an immense boost to all concerned at the Academy.

He's not ready for the bench or the PL team yet, just too young and he looks it. Will only turn 18 next May!

well... JC, due respect To Your highly rated competence, and one of the most reverred PL myths too, but I think that in a side which play the City system, physicality is not so absolutelly important. If Wizard Dave and Bernie can make it, so might Phil, imho.
Of course using moderation as per minutes and types of oppositions to be confronted with.

I know You are gonna counter "this is the Premiership" but I remember (not directly because I was a toddler) a certain Gianni Rivera, starting in Serie A, barely 16yo and much more unripe than this lad.

This lad is a class above and should be given opportunity to prove himself hors categorie

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Swales4ever wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

well... JC, due respect To Your highly rated competence, and one of the most reverred PL myths too, I think that in a side which play the City system, physicality is not so absolutelly important. If Wizard Dave and Bernie can make it, so might Phil, imho.
Of course using moderation as per minutes and types of oppositions to be confronted with.

I know You are gonna counter "this is the Premiership" but I remember (not directly because I was a toddler) a certain Gianni Rivera, starting in Serie A, barely 16yo and much more unripe than this lad.

This lad is a class above and should be given opportunity to prove himself hors categorie

if he's better than the alternatives, fine - assuming everybody is fit which senior player will you leave off the bench for him?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:46 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Swales4ever wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

well... JC, due respect To Your highly rated competence, and one of the most reverred PL myths too, I think that in a side which play the City system, physicality is not so absolutelly important. If Wizard Dave and Bernie can make it, so might Phil, imho.

if he's better than the alternatives, fine - assuming everybody is fit which senior player will you leave off the bench for him?

I havent claimed he should be automatically promoted a fixed starter.
I posted yesterday or so, something in the tune of offering him minutes at any given opportunity presented by games already on the right track. and carefully selecting the opposition and grounds, too.
no Pulis thugs, no stormy Britannia etc.
then see what come out of that and maybe further step forward next season.
imho, always.
anyways, Pep knows and I reckon he has nose for special talent.
Last edited by Swales4ever on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2. "ACID QUEEN"

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Swales4ever wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Swales4ever wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

I havent claimed he should be automatically promoted a fixed starter.
I posted yesterday or so, something in the tune of offoring him minutes at any given opportunity presented by games already on the right track. and carefully selecting the opposition and grounds, too.
no Pulis thugs, no stormy Britannia etc.
imho, always.

I see your bold assertion is dying the death of a thousand qualifications. :lol:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:52 pm

johnny crossan wrote:I see your bold assertion is dying the death of a thousand qualifications. :lol:

if You refer to excessively fat language, I stand rightly admonished and confess I've been lazy at serving that sentence. :lol:
otherwise I miss to get Your volley, honestly.

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:57 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

what he looks like shouldn't come into it. he's just been recognised as the best 17 year old in the world.

That was because of a shortage of senior players - there was no-one else. The point of a bench is to provide tactical options and injury cover, unless he's the best available for those eventualities he shouldn't be there. It's not a reward for being really promising, he has to be a better than the rest. When all of the senior squad is fit he isn't - yet.

we have 6 outfield subs and one of those places should automatically go to foden
use the other 5 for tactics / injury cover
he is a once in a generation talent who needs to be blooded slowly but you can only do that if he is in the mix
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:12 pm

I remember in the 1960s and 70s, there was a British lorry manufacturer called Foden.

They were noisy boneshakers and our little Foden has a smoother engine on him, than those vehicles ever did.

If we ever needed a 'senior' player to make way for him, occasionally, on the bench, then I think we could risk not playing Mangala.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

we have 6 outfield subs and one of those places should automatically go to foden
he is a once in a generation talent who needs to be blooded slowly but you can only do that if he is in the mix
I'm just not sure that is the purpose of subs. Foden is an attacking midfielder, to justify his place on the bench he needs to be ahead of whichever of Sterling, Sane, Silva, DeBruyne, Gundogan, Yaya, Bernardo and Delph is not in the team.
You can probably add Sanchez to that list in a few weeks too.
Call me old fashioned.......
Last edited by johnny crossan on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:27 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:wasn't he on the bench for the first couple of league games this season?!

I'm just not sure that is the purpose of subs. Foden is an attacking midfielder, to justify a place on the bench he needs to be ahead of whichever of Sterling, Sane, Silva, DeBruyne, Gundogan, Yaya, Bernardo, and Delph is not in the team.
You can probably add Sanchez to that list in a few weeks too.
Call me old fashioned.......

old fashioned...... ;)
[one of my favourite English phrases, btw]

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby JamieMCFC » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:42 am

johnny crossan wrote:

He needs to be playing first team football at his age somewhere.

NEW Manchester City Academy boss Jason Wilcox says challenging players will be more important than winning on his watch.

The 46-year-old, who took the role on an interim basis when Mark Allen left to become Director of Football at Rangers in June, has now been made permanent.

City have carried out research showing that 83% of players in the quarter-finals of the Champions League over the previous 10 years had played first-team football from the age of 17.

https://www.trainingground.guru/article ... everything
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Justified logic » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:59 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

No, player of the tournament.

Looking forward to seeing him turn out for us in the PL, whenever that will be but it won't be too far away.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:46 am

Killing the myth our academy is not producing. Well done to Phil and everyone who has helped him and the other lads. Maybe the media will recognise the achievement.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby nottsblue » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:54 am

Hope he keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't go the same way as Jadon Sancho this summer and Sturridge before him. Both player and club need to be sensible in handling all aspects of his career. This would involve contracts, salary, first team exposure, possible loan deals. He is clearly a talent and at his age it can go both ways. But if he is managed correctly there is no reason he won't play at the top level and hopefully it's for us.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:14 am

JamieMCFC wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

He needs to be playing first team football at his age somewhere.

NEW Manchester City Academy boss Jason Wilcox says challenging players will be more important than winning on his watch.

The 46-year-old, who took the role on an interim basis when Mark Allen left to become Director of Football at Rangers in June, has now been made permanent.

City have carried out research showing that 83% of players in the quarter-finals of the Champions League over the previous 10 years had played first-team football from the age of 17.

https://www.trainingground.guru/article ... everything

Well a couple of months ago he featured in all 4 of our first team pre-season games starting against the Rags, Real Madrid and Girona and replacing Silva on the hour against Spurs. He can also expect to play in both domestic cups and probably in any dead rubber CL group stage matches. So we'll be doing our bit to maintain those stats.
Last edited by johnny crossan on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dimples » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:15 am

nottsblue wrote:Hope he keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't go the same way as Jadon Sancho this summer and Sturridge before him. Both player and club need to be sensible in handling all aspects of his career. This would involve contracts, salary, first team exposure, possible loan deals. He is clearly a talent and at his age it can go both ways. But if he is managed correctly there is no reason he won't play at the top level and hopefully it's for us.

Agree with the above.
City will know what needs to be done to bring him through.
My biggest concern would be he is rushed and gets broken by sone thug as a result.
He is very young and slight. He may need more experience and bulk to handle the physical aspect. That comes with time.

As for the academy. It takes time.
The trickle has started, a flow will follow
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Justified logic » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:45 am

Dimples wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Hope he keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't go the same way as Jadon Sancho this summer and Sturridge before him. Both player and club need to be sensible in handling all aspects of his career. This would involve contracts, salary, first team exposure, possible loan deals. He is clearly a talent and at his age it can go both ways. But if he is managed correctly there is no reason he won't play at the top level and hopefully it's for us.

Agree with the above.
My biggest concern would be he is rushed and gets broken by sone thug as a result.
He is very young and slight. He may need more experience and bulk to handle the physical aspect. That comes with time.

Churchillian words there Dimples, but ain't it the truth!
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dameerto » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:16 am

Dimples wrote:Agree with the above.

I'm not sure he's going to need bulk, he's a naturally tricky player that can do a 'Silva' in the Prem and just rely on his avoidance to keep him out of most of the trouble. He has the added advantage of a decent burst of speed too which serves him well out wide.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Swales4ever » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:33 am

I think this will be the ultimate decider of his fate, but by the face of it the lad looks well gifted in that respect too.
I'm talking as someone who rated Tw@ini above Maradona, exactly because of what the con man holds among his ears.

As for the "need of bulk" I have already expressed my opinion, put as my V grader's lang skills allows, in the exchange with Master JC.

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby sheblue » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:54 pm

He's only a child we need to take our time with him.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum