Transfer rumours

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Transfer rumours

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:04 pm

zuricity wrote:I can easily see Edin fitting in. He is still a great player and our management , ie Spafia fcuked up yet again.

He would be banging 'em in under Pep, cos as Kun proved against Chelsea, his stupidity means we need other good strikers .We had one in Edin and blew it.

What were to do Zuri, hold him against his will?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby PeterParker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:23 pm

mr_nool wrote:
I'm pretty sure he would have been a plan B player - a super sub in a similar vein to Giroud at Arsenal. He's simply not good enough with his feet to lead the line in a Pep team.

His scoring ratio always spoke for Edin. Always did.

I agree that he wouldn't not fit in the way Pep tries to play football, but I also think it was a mistake letting him go at that time. In this era, after Aguero, Tevez and Big Ed were our best attacker if you look at their stats. Big Ed many times had to pick up after Serge went out injured and he scored a bunch.

Imho, we sold him when we shouldn't have, but, at this point, he would not play under Pep.

If I was our staff, I would had sold Bony in the summer of 2015 and kept Edin with Ian and Sergio and sell him this summer. The only good thing was that we got a semi decent transfer fee for him. (Semi decent if we look at our bad way of selling players).
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby nottsblue » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:32 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Ignoring all the pros and cons, with regard to his later time with ourselves, if Dzeko had still been here when Pep took over, I wonder how he would have been used and how he would be playing now ??

Would he have been able to adapt to Pep's high pressing requirements, or would he have flourished with some of the scoring chances we've not been taking, as at present ??

I know this is only theoretical but it might be salient if ever we were connected with another striker of Dzeko's ilk.

Couldn't see Dzeko fitting in with Pep, to be honest.
The way I remember him, was that he was too lazy to do any pressing and He had the first touch of a wall.
He wasn't averse to having the odd sulk either.

Funny how different people view different players......well, differently.

He would have got less minutes on the field than Iheanacho. If he hadn't been sent out on loan, like Bony, Nasri, Hart, Mangala all were very swiftly.

Glad to see him doing well and he played a part in our success recently, but he made his bed with us two years ago
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby littlebig » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:07 pm

There were always question marks over Edin, attitude and ability included. He was probably a bit underrated because of that and because he wasn't what you would call a glamour player.

But he was always a great option to have on the bench and he made a really positive contribution to our modern success. Arguably he came close to legend status (pushing it a bit I know).

I think towards the end he had lost a bit of interest probably due to being that plan b option for so long.

Good servant fondly remembered. Glad to see him doing well now.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:14 pm

littlebig wrote:There were always question marks over Edin, attitude and ability included. He was probably a bit underrated because of that and because he wasn't what you would call a glamour player.

But he was always a great option to have on the bench and he made a really positive contribution to our modern success. Arguably he came close to legend status (pushing it a bit I know).

I think towards the end he had lost a bit of interest probably due to being that plan b option for so long.

Good servant fondly remembered. Glad to see him doing well now.

As Nool originally said, he'd be a good plan B, as that is all I could see him being in a Pep team.
But as you say, that is pretty much why he left in the first place.

I still don't think he has the touch, technique, pace and possibly attitude to get into our present first eleven.

Liked the contribution he made to our success but it's in the past and 'move on' as far as I'm concerned.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby dazby » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:07 pm

zuricity wrote:I can easily see Edin fitting in. He is still a great player and our management , ie Spafia fcuked up yet again.

He would be banging 'em in under Pep, cos as Kun proved against Chelsea, his stupidity means we need other good strikers .We had one in Edin and blew it.

A major history rewrite there. He is not a Pep player. Pep would have got rid at the beginning of the season.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Mase » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:11 pm

dazby wrote:

A major history rewrite there. He is not a Pep player. Pep would have got rid at the beginning of the season.

I think he'd be Pep's Lewandowski
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby zuricity » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:17 am

dazby wrote:

Major history rewrite ? two small paragraphs ?

kinell, what a talent i am.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby dazby » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:25 am

Yeah I overplayed it a bit. A bit like the 90% of people that called Edin dogshit while he was playing for us. But he wasn't good either.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:50 am

Can we not just have an Edin thread so I don't keep looking in here thinking there is some transfer news...
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Spurge » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:17 am

Ben Davies the latest link re a left back. Earlier in the week it was Rose and Walker but we have now down graded our approach (or have we?). Whilst a Bravo and Ter Stegen situation springs to mind initially, on reflection however, whenever Davies on the left and indeed Trippier on the right, have stepped in they've done a very good job for Spurs. Would it be so bad if we raided Spurs of one or both of these.

They would know that they have a better chance of making these positions their own at City than they have at Spurs based on the ages of Clichy, Kolorav, Sagna and Zabaletta and they would still be playing for a top four club. Trippier as I've said before I'd welcome back to City, but also seems like we could do a lot worse than take a look at Ben Davies.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Mase » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:23 am

Spurge wrote:Ben Davies the latest link re a left back. Earlier in the week it was Rose and Walker but we have now down graded our approach (or have we?). Whilst a Bravo and Ter Stegen situation springs to mind initially, on reflection however, whenever Davies on the left and indeed Trippier on the right, have stepped in they've done a very good job for Spurs. Would it be so bad if we raided Spurs of one or both of these.

They would know that they have a better chance of making these positions their own at City than they have at Spurs based on the ages of Clichy, Kolorav, Sagna and Zabaletta and they would still be playing for a top four club. Trippier as I've said before I'd welcome back to City, but also seems like we could do a lot worse than take a look at Ben Davies.

I very very much doubt Trippier would come back to City knowing his family.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Spurge » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:26 am

Mase wrote:
Spurge wrote:Ben Davies the latest link re a left back. Earlier in the week it was Rose and Walker but we have now down graded our approach (or have we?). Whilst a Bravo and Ter Stegen situation springs to mind initially, on reflection however, whenever Davies on the left and indeed Trippier on the right, have stepped in they've done a very good job for Spurs. Would it be so bad if we raided Spurs of one or both of these.

Oh whats the deal there then Mase - can you elaborate?
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Fidel Castro » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 am

Guessing they must be dirty rags
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:05 am

Spurge wrote:
Mase wrote:

What Fidel said. I think they were a bit pissed off that he was let go in the first place, without an opportunity to show what he could do. And it's not like he was coming through at a time when we were blessed with decent fullbacks. We dropped a bollock with him in my opinion.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Spurge » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:28 am

Mase wrote:
Spurge wrote:
Mase wrote:

What Fidel said. I think they were a bit pissed off that he was let go in the first place, without an opportunity to show what he could do. And it's not like he was coming through at a time when we were blessed with decent fullbacks. We dropped a bollock with him in my opinion.

I see, yes certainly reasons why he might not be keen. That said money talks and if a better chance of first team football then who knows.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Fidel Castro » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:21 am

We definitely dropped a bollock letting him go. Thought the same of Mears at the time, but I was proven wrong about that one. Having said that, I'm sure he was playing chumps league footy with Marseille when we had dross like Jordan at left back?
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:37 am

Spurge wrote:
Mase wrote:
Spurge wrote:
Mase wrote:

I see, yes certainly reasons why he might not be keen. That said money talks and if a better chance of first team football then who knows.

You never know mate. Money does talk and their careers are short. I'm absolutely amazed we never put anything in for a 'buy back'.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Justified logic » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:54 am

Mase wrote:
Spurge wrote:
Mase wrote:
Spurge wrote:
Mase wrote:I very very much doubt Trippier would come back to City knowing his family.

You never know mate. Money does talk and their careers are short. I'm absolutely amazed we never put anything in for a 'buy back'.

With the sheer quantity of talent coming through the Academy we surely have to be including buy-back clauses now? Does a buy-back clause reduce the amount we get for selling a player? I can't see why it should but I also can't see why we haven't used these clauses in the past. It's well known after all that some players are late bloomers, some are late failures, and some just need the challenge of being in the 1st team.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:53 am

zuricity wrote:
dazby wrote:

Major history rewrite ? two small paragraphs ?

kinell, what a talent i am.

You're a man of admirable concision and erudition ZC ;)
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum