Pep is the bestest, bestest thing since sliced bread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Pep is the bestest, bestest thing since sliced bread

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:36 pm

dazby wrote:He had to try it first to find out though didn't he?

Fair enough Dazby but not against Leicester, that was just playing straight into their hands.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Not sure its been highlighted, but I wouldn't pay much attention to what's posted in the match thread....
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby dazby » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

Fair enough Dazby but not against Leicester, that was just playing straight into their hands.

I'd argue that it was the high line allowing us to get outpaced rather than three at the back that cost us against Leicester.

But it's obvious that our players aren't that comfortable with it. Throw in a constantly changing backline and the issue compounds.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:42 pm

No, that's what the training pitch is for. When I'm trying to perfect my swing in golf I don't do it during a competition, I use the driving range. Same when I was playing/coaching/managing football, I would use the training ground to see what the players could produce and once I thought it had been perfected during practice, I'd incorporate it into match day.

Nothing wrong with trying it but don't get stuck on it when it proves to be wrong. And it was clearly wrong.

Good to see he's reverted though, and that's why he is seen as the best manager in the world. He's adapted and his pragmatism is now bringing us joy. Just wish it was a little earlier though.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby mr_nool » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:43 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

No, that's what the training pitch is for. When I'm trying to perfect my swing in golf I don't do it during a competition, I use the driving range. Same when I was playing/coaching/managing football, I would use the training ground to see what the players could produce and once I thought it had been perfected during practice, I'd incorporate it into match day.

Nothing wrong with trying it but don't get stuck on it when it proves to be wrong. And it was clearly wrong.

Good to see he's reverted though, and that's why he is seen as the best manager in the world. He's adapted and his pragmatism is now bringing us joy. Just wish it was a little earlier though.

I do agree, but at the same time it's been a very busy period with very little time actually spent on the training pitch to work on tactical things.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:43 pm

london blue 2 wrote:Not sure its been highlighted, but I wouldn't pay much attention to what's posted in the match thread....

Does anybody? I love reading it back to see the peaks and troughs of peoples emotions, because that's all it is, the emotion being put down in words.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:44 pm

dazby wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

I'd argue that it was the high line allowing us to get outpaced rather than three at the back that cost us against Leicester.

But it's obvious that our players aren't that comfortable with it. Throw in a constantly changing backline and the issue compounds.

I think it was a lack of bodies back there that fucked us up, Leicester won the PL on the back of their ability to win second balls, I think it was foolish to leave one on ones against them. An extra body back there decreases their likelihood to win them second balls.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby dazby » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:45 pm

I'm sure it went swimmingly well in practice. You don't know for sure though until you're in a pressure cooker game situation.

Anyway, four for now it is then.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

Beefy, do have any tips on where I might get some left handed golf bats. cheers
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

No idea mate, I smash the little fuckers with my right ;-)

I had to tee off left handed in a charity competition once and it was the weirdest thing I'd ever down. So bad that I sliced the ball straight into a car window in the car park, bouncing up in the air and landing in the BBQ, which was being prepared for after the match.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PeterParker » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:15 pm

I saw him today in that video on our social media and I really think he wants to paint us like one of his french grils

PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Wooders » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:33 pm

what is with that clobber? looks like hes playing tiny Tim in panto
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Wooders wrote:what is with that clobber? looks like hes playing tiny Tim in panto

Are you sure he isn't trying to pick a pocket or two?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PeterParker » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:58 pm

Slim wrote:
Wooders wrote:what is with that clobber? looks like hes playing tiny Tim in panto

Are you sure he isn't trying to pick a pocket or two?

I think I saw him in his early days.

PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby SomeMichaelGuy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:07 pm

Apologies if this has been shared already, but just in case...

Watch on youtube.com
SomeMichaelGuy
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

My favourite player is: Aguero / Sun Jihai

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:22 am

Was Pep cold during the interview? He kept pulling his sleeves down !! Otherwise good interview.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:47 pm

An article from New York Times a couple of weeks back I saw today:

The criticism itself will neither surprise nor sting Pep Guardiola. He made that perfectly clear months ago, on the day he was presented as Manchester City manager.

“I know when it is not going well, you are not going to help us,” he told the assembled news media that day. Guardiola has spent his entire coaching career at clubs where crisis and defeat are synonyms. The pressure cookers of Barcelona and Bayern Munich soon remove any thin skin. “When we play badly, you have to say, ‘Oh, this team played badly,’” he said.

Over the last 15 games, Guardiola has heard that more than he would have liked. Manchester City has won just four times since the start of October. Against Leicester City on Saturday, Guardiola’s side allowed three goals inside 20 minutes. His team is now 7 points behind Chelsea, the Premier League’s ever-more-imposing leader. In recent weeks, Manchester City has played poorly more often than not.

Guardiola has not especially enjoyed hearing it, of course. His news conferences have become awkwardly staccato, most of his answers preceded by a brief, pointed glare at his inquisitor. He would have expected nothing less, however. “I know this is business,” he said back in July.

At times, however, it has not felt like business. In defeat, or even the absence of victory, Guardiola — more than any of his peers — is reproached not just for his professional decisions, his tactics and team selection, but for his personal flaws, too, as if the number of games City loses is directly proportional to the number of character failings its manager possesses.

After the defeat at Leicester, for example, Peter Schmeichel, the former Manchester United goalkeeper, declared that Guardiola’s refusal to adapt his tactics to try to combat the reigning Premier League champions marked him as a “very arrogant man.”

“That is a man saying: ‘I know best. My way of playing football is the best,’” Schmeichel added.

That is not the only accusation that has been leveled at Guardiola during City’s stutter over the last 10 weeks: Intransigence has been featured, as has a supposed tendency to overcomplicate matters, and a perfectionist’s restlessness. For his part, Guardiola admitted after leaving Bayern that he is “arrogant,” though not to the point that he thought he could change German soccer.

All of this illustrates just how acidic, how charged, the subject of Guardiola has become. This is not just another of those quibbles and squabbles that sustain the soap opera of the Premier League over the course of a long season; it runs deeper than that.

There are few subjects — perhaps José Mourinho apart — more contentious, more keenly felt than the issue of whether Guardiola deserves the lofty reputation that precedes him. That is because, at root, the debate is not actually about Guardiola at all. It is about English soccer’s sense of self.

Almost every week since Guardiola arrived, in those news media briefings he finds such a chore, one question has recurred. Now, he is almost waiting for it. He knows, at some point, he will be asked whether the Premier League is the strongest in the world.

His answer is not always the same. In the middle of October, he chided the lazy assumption that soccer in Spain and Germany was lacking in intensity. “You have not been there, so you do not know how intense it is,” he said. A couple of weeks later, he seemed to have changed his tune. “Guys, you have to be so proud,” he said, his tone studiously flat. “The Premier League is so difficult.”

His reaction to the question is now more consistent. He smiles, fleetingly, when he hears it: It is so familiar that it has almost become comforting. He is also, it is fair to say, just a little bit amused by the fixation; it is, after all, curious that a league so bombastic in its self-promotion should appear to be so desperate for validation.

There is, however, a reason for it. Guardiola, in English eyes, is the epitome of Continental sophistication. He has enjoyed unparalleled, almost unbroken, success in the two domestic competitions that might be considered the Premier League’s superiors, in Spain and Germany.

He is also — from what he wears to how he thinks — resolutely other. He eschews both the traditional options for Premier League managers on the sideline — tracksuit to convey dynamism, business suit to project authority — in favor, usually, of a turtleneck, skinny jeans and sneakers.

On the surface, so below: Many of Guardiola’s principles border on heretical in England. He does not mind that his goalkeeper, Claudio Bravo, is not a wonderful stopper of shots or a fearsome collector of crosses, because Guardiola believes it is more important that he plays a role in starting attacks.

“I’m sorry, but until my last day as a coach, I will try to play from my goalkeeper,” he said after a draw with Everton in the middle of this difficult run.

Nor does he have much time for England’s obsession with the physical. “I am not a coach for the tackles, so I do not train them,” he said after the defeat at Leicester. In a league and in a country that treasures its reputation for blood and thunder, where, as Xabi Alonso once observed, a tackle can be applauded almost as loudly as a goal, such an out-of-hand dismissal is unthinkable.

It is that otherness that makes Guardiola’s presence in England so fascinating, of course; it is also, however, what makes him the subject of such heightened emotions.

In part it is because his endorsement is a considerable prize in a public relations battle; if Guardiola, of all people, can be won over by the idea that England’s top division is the most demanding of all, then it would prove beyond doubt that there is substance behind the spin.

But it is more than that. If Guardiola struggles — or if he fails outright — at Manchester City, then the myth of English exceptionalism is vindicated. The Premier League can continue to regard itself as a world apart. He will have failed the Rainy Night in Stoke test, the idea that greatness accrued elsewhere in Europe can only ever come with an asterisk until it has been proved when faced with the unique array of challenges on offer in England.

If he succeeds, though, then all of that falls away. He has made it plain that he does not intend to compromise his beliefs for his new surroundings. “I won 21 titles in seven years: three titles per year playing in this way,” he said earlier this season. “I’m sorry, guys. I’m not going to change.”

This, in essence, is a battle of ideas. Guardiola, in many ways, represents a new way of thinking. Should he thrive, it would not just represent the triumph of his philosophy, but also the failure of so many of the tenets that are central to England’s identity. That is where the vitriol comes from; that is why it has become personal. It is not about Guardiola; it is about us.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:19 pm

Funnily enough, I caught about 5 mins of TalkMurdoch tonight in which they framed their conversation about us in those ^^^^ exact terms.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Just a belated thought, but couldn't you use rounders bats (or baseball bats to our American cousins) instead of golf clubs and then you wouldn't have the problem with them being left or right handed ??

I don't know what this golf game is supposed to be all about, but that seems a reasonable thought to my mind.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Scatman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:50 pm

Or teach yourself to be right handed and not a freak
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum