Centerbacks?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Centerbacks?

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Are we actually trying to sign any?

I see us being linked to Darijo Srna and while I really like him as a personality and a leader we already have fullbacks. We are desperate for CBs.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: Centerbacks?

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:06 pm

Oh and we keep getting linked to all these wingers as well despite G-sus already coming and us having tons of them.

WE NEED CENTERBACKS TXIKI!
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:25 pm

We're repeatedly being linked to Van Dijk. Latest reports say Southampton won't entertain any offers in January but are willing to listen in summer.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby PeterParker » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:32 pm

I see we are trying the defence rejuvenation with Srna.

I hope this is some media bollox.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby sheblue » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:58 pm

We have been in need of centre backs for about 4 years now, spent a lot on money in that time, it has to be said some of it spent badly. Its a big ask to have another go and rectify this longstanding problem in January.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:01 pm

Longer than four years mate, our struggle to find a long term centre back predates the 'Spafia'

Boateng
Savic
Nastasic
Demichelis
Mangala
Otamendi
Stones
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:01 pm

I would take Craig Dawson and Dick Van Dyk.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:06 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Longer than four years mate, our struggle to find a long term centre back predates the 'Spafia'

Boateng
Savic
Nastasic
Demichelis
Mangala
Otamendi
Stones

Where do the years go? yes probably longer than 4. Of that list Demichelis did the job he was meant to do, in the short term of course, I dont think he was as terrible as a lot made out. Some of the others though :oops:
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Longer than four years mate, our struggle to find a long term centre back predates the 'Spafia'

Boateng
Savic
Nastasic
Demichelis
Mangala
Otamendi
Stones

That is pretty shocking list considering the money spent. You could also add Garcia and Rodwell as they were supposed to have ability to fill in.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:17 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:We're repeatedly being linked to Van Dijk. Latest reports say Southampton won't entertain any offers in January but are willing to listen in summer.

Not a fan. I mean he plays well for Southampton but he would be taking the step from Celtic to us in couple of years. Too big of a reach.

Having said that, we don't only need quality at the position but also quantity so I wouldn't complain. What we really need though is Kompany level talent.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Slim » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:We're repeatedly being linked to Van Dijk. Latest reports say Southampton won't entertain any offers in January but are willing to listen in summer.

Not a fan. I mean he plays well for Southampton but he would be taking the step from Celtic to us in couple of years. Too big of a reach.

Having said that, we don't only need quality at the position but also quantity so I wouldn't complain. What we really need though is Kompany level talent.

That's next to impossible in January.

van Dijk may have had his stock rise quickly but it's not without merit. There's always Manolas same deal though, two years ago he was worth a fraction of what he is today. Either that or we go after the likes of Silva or Godin who's still cost a packet and are both on the wrong side of 30.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wooders » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:28 pm

i don't agree that we don't need fullbacks (aren't they all out of contract this summer? As well as being a bit shit, on the left anyways...)
agree we do not need wingers - a striker would be nice though
centrebacks, we need only 1, personally i would like to pairup van djike and stones and build a partnership up but sadly i think we'd be nearer the back of a big queue
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Wooders wrote:i don't agree that we don't need fullbacks (aren't they all out of contract this summer? As well as being a bit shit, on the left anyways...)
centrebacks, we need only 1, personally i would like to pairup van djike and stones and build a partnership up but sadly i think we'd be nearer the back of a big queue

I think we need to buy 3 centrebacks. If Pep wants to play 3 at the back, enough with the faffing about turning fullbacks into centrebacks and let's buy the round peg for the round hole. So we have Stones...and...okay, we have Stones. It's unlikely Mangala's ever coming back, Otamendi is a joke of a defender and Kompany is made of glass and cannot be relied upon for more than holding a refreshing beverage. So we have 1...and we need 3, so checking my maths...wait, we need subs, squad players and the like. So all in all, we need 6. Let's call one of them an academy slot, a slot for the one we don't want but couldn't shift and that leaves us 3 short. They don't all have to be Kompany level quality but they do need to be proper centrehalves who can work in a 3-5-2. So not Per Mertesacker essentially.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PeterParker » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:59 pm

How about Howedes?

Strong as a rock, knows how to defend.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Dwaring » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:01 pm

We haven't had a proper center back since Lescott.
Dwaring
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Yaya toure

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:47 pm

Centre backs, full backs, strikers, afterall the money we have spent our squad is a pile of shite!

Lescott and Kompany were like Baresi and the likes compared to what we have seen since.

In fairness to demichellis he was prob the next best in line, the fact we paid feck all for him and he was on relative pittance means he was a huge success, something along those lines for January would be nice.

There is such few options out there in general that its going to be difficult, im with NQDP on van dyke im not sure hes ready or has the ability yet. A cheap punt on fonte for a year or two prob make more sense.

There is the usual Bonucci nonsense, maybe him?
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Slim » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:01 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Centre backs, full backs, strikers, afterall the money we have spent our squad is a pile of shite!

Lescott and Kompany were like Baresi and the likes compared to what we have seen since.

In fairness to demichellis he was prob the next best in line, the fact we paid feck all for him and he was on relative pittance means he was a huge success, something along those lines for January would be nice.

There is such few options out there in general that its going to be difficult, im with NQDP on van dyke im not sure hes ready or has the ability yet. A cheap punt on fonte for a year or two prob make more sense.

Fonte isn't a bad shout, but I have to question why we'd want someone Soton actually want to ship. Maybe they're seeing the decline already.

Bonucci just signed a new 5 year deal at Juve, so that's a non-starter...for now.

@Spidey, isn't Howedes primarily a rightback? Well, suppose we need one of them too.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Slim wrote:
Wooders wrote:i don't agree that we don't need fullbacks (aren't they all out of contract this summer? As well as being a bit shit, on the left anyways...)

I think we need to buy 3 centrebacks. If Pep wants to play 3 at the back, enough with the faffing about turning fullbacks into centrebacks and let's buy the round peg for the round hole. So we have Stones...and...okay, we have Stones. It's unlikely Mangala's ever coming back, Otamendi is a joke of a defender and Kompany is made of glass and cannot be relied upon for more than holding a refreshing beverage. So we have 1...and we need 3, so checking my maths...wait, we need subs, squad players and the like. So all in all, we need 6. Let's call one of them an academy slot, a slot for the one we don't want but couldn't shift and that leaves us 3 short. They don't all have to be Kompany level quality but they do need to be proper centrehalves who can work in a 3-5-2. So not Per Mertesacker essentially.

This.

I rarely disagree with you Wooders but you are wrong about this one. We need minimum of three over the next 8 months. And that is assuming we stick with back four. Back three is whole another ballgame and we can basically shift all the fullbacks.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Centre backs, full backs, strikers, afterall the money we have spent our squad is a pile of shite!

There's two issues here. Long term quality at the position and short term improvement we have tp find. I think we absolutely HAVE to find someone during the january window to help us for the rest of the season. Probably someone experienced and overpriced. Then we can look for the summer and see what we do with the position then.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:11 pm

We need defenders who can do there bit whilst the show ponies can get on with the entertainment and glory, Dawson is would be a good addition, he has decent pace can tackle and head as good as anyone and is young enough to be developed oh and he is a blue. :idea: Under Pullis he is drilled every day but not in a Crewe Alex way of drilling.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum