replacing bravo

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: replacing bravo

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 pm

sheblue wrote:Funny though. There were loads of people on here criticising Hart last season and before. Remember all the moaning about distribution, not being able to save to his left etc. Now he's a messiah. Lol.
If bravos confidence wasn't so shot to pieces there wouldn't be a word about Hart.
Hart won't be back and it's highly unlikely bravo will improve. We will continue to have a big problem until Bravo is replaced.

Don't think anyone is calling Joe the messiah. It's just that bravo is really that bad.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:27 pm

RodneyRodney wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:I wouldn't be in a massive rush to get hart back either. He's apparently dropping clangers left and right in italy too.

. . . hardly suprising if you consider what Italian fans are likely to shout every time he pulls off a brilliant save

What? 'Sort your fucking dandruff out!'
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:37 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
sheblue wrote:Funny though. There were loads of people on here criticising Hart last season and before. Remember all the moaning about distribution, not being able to save to his left etc. Now he's a messiah. Lol.
If bravos confidence wasn't so shot to pieces there wouldn't be a word about Hart.
Hart won't be back and it's highly unlikely bravo will improve. We will continue to have a big problem until Bravo is replaced.

Don't think anyone is calling Joe the messiah. It's just that bravo is really that bad.

Exactly LB2.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:

Exactly LB2.

We're asking for willy to be first choice ffs :lol: :lol:
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Justified logic » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:13 am

london blue 2 wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:

Exactly LB2.

We're asking for willy to be first choice ffs :lol: :lol:

We will continue to have a big problem until Bravo is dropped. Whether Guardiola can rebuild his confidence we would have to see. But I'm getting ahead of myself; Guardiola would have to drop him first and I'm not seeing that happening yet despite the whole world and his dog laughing at him and undermining his confidence further. No one should be confident about Guardiola being able to turn this team around if he still doesn't get what is happening.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby phips » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:48 pm

conceded 23 from 54 shots on goal in the league.

very interesting breakdown + stats here:
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11662/10731973/chelsea-tottenham-liverpool-man-city-man-utd-arsenal-keepers-ranked

basically Bravo has faced the easiest shots in the league and conceded them. god this guy sucks.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby bigblue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:09 pm

Goals like this have killed our league campaign and an inflatable dummy would do better. It's like his arms and legs have 40 pound weights on them.

Watch on youtube.com

Oh, and Joe is the savior. If we had him, we'd be at least 9 points ahead.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:14 pm

bigblue wrote:Goals like this have killed our league campaign and an inflatable dummy would do better. Sums up Bravo for me.

Watch on youtube.com

we wouldn't be mate. the 'powers that be' would have seen to that.
none of our issues are of our own making, it's outside forces that are fucking our season up.
#getwiththeprogramme
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby bigblue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:we wouldn't be mate. the 'powers that be' would have seen to that.
none of our issues are of our own making, it's outside forces that are fucking our season up.
#getwiththeprogramme

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. But seeing that you have a strange habit of calling out other people who are being negative (when all you do is moan about everything and everything), I'll just assume you're being a cunt like always.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:23 pm

phips wrote:conceded 23 from 54 shots on goal in the league.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11662/10731973/chelsea-tottenham-liverpool-man-city-man-utd-arsenal-keepers-ranked

basically Bravo has faced the easiest shots in the league and conceded them. god this guy sucks.

The article actually says that Lloris has faced the easiest shots.

I would question how that's decided though, facing one on ones is arguably the most difficult type of shots you can face yet there is nothing in there to suggest this was factored in. There is also nothing to suggest the type of pressure the shot taker is under, is he being closed down or does he have time and space to shoot?

This post is not a defence of Bravo before anyone starts.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:27 pm

bigblue wrote:Goals like this have killed our league campaign and an inflatable dummy would do better. It's like his arms and legs have 40 pound weights on them.

Watch on youtube.com

Ben Watson likes this post.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Alex Williams said last night on GMR Blue Tues, The defending in front of Claudio, leading up-to clear sights of goal was insulting to schoolboys at times this season a nightmare for any keeper.

People always look to the keeper for bringing confidence to the back 4, reverse it, what has Bravo had by way of protection, any chance of a settling in period has been 0. He did blame him for Willian and Davies goals the rest are clear shots on goal from 10/15 and 20 yards without a defender in sight. Bravo has had a tough time, but name a defender who is doing his job for City this season, they have all fell over misplaced a pass, got turned and have in truth shocked us all with defending so bad it has been a comedy show. At the other end games could and should have have been put to bed, Chelsea and Everton are games nobody can explain the misses, yet now forgot as Bravo is carrying the can.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby bigblue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Hazy2 wrote:Alex Williams said last night on GMR Blue Tues, The defending in front of Claudio, leading up-to clear sights of goal was insulting to schoolboys at times this season a nightmare for any keeper.

Well we did have a keeper whose best attribute was stopping clear shots and 1v1s. Wonder what happened to him...
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:44 pm

bigblue wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:Alex Williams said last night on GMR Blue Tues, The defending in front of Claudio, leading up-to clear sights of goal was insulting to schoolboys at times this season a nightmare for any keeper.

Well we did have a keeper whose best attribute was stopping clear shots and 1v1s. Wonder what happened to him...

Only repeating what an ex blue Keeper said mate. I would looking back is not going to help, Joe is gone and I for one would love one day to know why. I have my own thoughts on it but not important.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
bigblue wrote:

Only repeating what an ex blue Keeper said mate. I would looking back is not going to help, Joe is gone and I for one would love one day to know why. I have my own thoughts on it but not important.

Why Joe is gone? His distribution is absolute dogshit and Pep plays a possession based game in which....hold on....sit down for this one bruh....you have to have the fucking ball and not just kick it to the other team 75% of the time.

that said we've fucking made a meal of this goalie shit when, as a good friend of mine says, "it was our least needed position to fill" and that in hindsight is turning out to be true. Hindsight is asshole vision as they say.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:43 pm

phips wrote:conceded 23 from 54 shots on goal in the league.

Thanks for posting that chum.

I wouldn't want to give any credence, in normal circumstances, to any statistical analysis ether compiled or promulgated by Sky, as it's bound to be 'skewed' in some way. However, even if that is looked at in a critical fashion, there seems to be enough in there which is still frightening.

The Bravo acquisition really has been a double edged sword for us.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Original Dub » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:18 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
bigblue wrote:Goals like this have killed our league campaign and an inflatable dummy would do better. Sums up Bravo for me.

Watch on youtube.com

we wouldn't be mate. the 'powers that be' would have seen to that.
#getwiththeprogramme

What a peculiar fellow you are.

You should buy an open top bus and bring the players around manchester after training.

That should sort the problems out. The love of the city and all that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Original Dub

Postby Saul Goodman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:31 pm

It was August 24, 2016, Joe Hart’s 348th and last game for Manchester City; definitely this season, almost certainly for ever. The City faithful embarked on a chorus of “Stand up if you love Joe Hart.” Pep Guardiola rose to his feet, not in a terrible attempt at a PR gesture or out of mockery towards a man he was exiling but because he was so absorbed in the match, and perhaps so unaccustomed to hearing chants in English, that he was unaware of the soundtrack as he tried to convey tactical instructions to his players.

Fast forward to March 1, 2017. Hart’s successor Claudio Bravo made what had seemed a regulation save from Huddersfield midfielder Jack Payne. The masses at the Etihad Stadium got to their feet again. Many gave Bravo a standing ovation. He had saved a shot. This was mockery, just as it was when they cheered as the Chilean held on to a cross.

After the game, Guardiola praised Bravo for his “amazing” performance. Two days later, he upgraded his opinion. The goalkeeper’s decision-making was, he said, “a masterpiece”. It brought back memories of Bravo’s City bow at Old Trafford in September, a seemingly error-strewn display when he was at fault for Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s goal and, in something Jose Mourinho still mentions half a year later, could have been sent off for a lunge at Wayne Rooney. Guardiola branded it “one of the best performances I’ve ever seen.”

Friday marks the six-month anniversary of a debut when he flirted with disaster. It has been a period of Trumpian boasts about Bravo from Guardiola. He has adopted absolutist positions that bear little resemblance to the facts. They may have been exaggerated attempts at persuasion but it appears he has lost the argument.

Bravo’s last outing felt like the day the supporters rebelled against the rhetoric, accepted the evidence before their eyes and voiced a belief he has become a liability. Saturday should bring his next game, assuming the Catalan maintains his policy of using his second-choice goalkeeper in the FA Cup. While Guardiola has complained that City keep getting drawn away in the competition, a trip to the Riverside Stadium could have an unexpected benefit. At least if the majority present taunt Bravo, it will be because they are Middlesbrough fans.

To some, Bravo is the human hologram. He appears to be there, but a shortage of saves suggests there is no actual physical entity. To others, he is a colander; he sieves goals because everything goes straight through him.

Against Everton in January, he accomplished the unwanted goalkeeping grand slam without actually stopping a shot: he was beaten to his left, to his right, above his head and through his legs. If the great goalkeepers have a presence, and Peter Schmeichel’s star jumps made the 6ft 3in Dane feel a giant, Bravo gives the impression he has none. His capacity to get out of the way of shots makes him seem smaller than his 6ft frame.

At such times, it is worth remembering that he is the most capped Chilean ever and a double Copa America winner and was Barcelona’s first choice for two years and one of the outstanding goalkeepers in the last World Cup. The reminders are necessary, because there is scant evidence in his City career of how or why.

Guardiola has taken to citing the International Federation of Football History & Statistics’ rankings for the world’s best goalkeeper. Bravo was placed fourth in 2016, far ahead of his replacement at Barcelona, Marc-Andre ter Stegen. The men who he displaced and who, in turn, have displaced him in the City goal, Hart and Willy Caballero, did not pick up a vote between them.

It feels incongruous, as though this is another Claudio Bravo. The City variant was dropped after conceding six goals to as many shots on target against Everton and Tottenham. His save percentage in the Premier League, a mere 54.4, places him above only Fraser Forster among regular goalkeepers in the division. He has made Hart appear a martyr and undermined Guardiola’s case for a footballing goalkeeper. Instead, he has made his manager look an impractical idealist, a dreamer who has selected a midfielder in goal, but one whose passing, while tidy, is nothing like as incisive as expected and whose touch proved nothing like as precise as was promised when it led to his red card in Camp Nou.

It is worth noting that, in between celebrating Hart, the City fans also sang Guardiola’s name in August. It was not a display of dissent when they serenaded the goalkeeper. It was when they barracked his successor earlier this month.

It is hard to imagine a manager as stubborn as Guardiola abandoning his beliefs and simply buying a goalkeeper whose sole forte is shot-stopping. Yet it is pertinent City face Middlesbrough this weekend. If Aitor Karanka grants Victor Valdes a belated FA Cup debut, it will provide a comparison between Guardiola’s past and his present. The Spaniard has already excelled against City once, making a series of saves in November’s 1-1 draw. Karanka commented undiplomatically: “He is not the same keeper he was at Barcelona because if he had been at that level, he would not have been here.” Yet Valdes has a save percentage of 69.6 percent in the Premier League this season, within touching distance of Thibaut Courtois' and David de Gea’s statistics.

If Guardiola is desperate for a ball-playing goalkeeper who understands his ethos, he could do worse than engineer a reunion in the summer. Because Bravo, it seems, has reached the point of no return: with the fans and presumably, as a result, at the club.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Justified logic » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:28 pm

One save on the goal line by Zaba, another by Stones, but what really pissed me off was Bravo going in with his feet where Hart would have dived at the feet of the attacker, the fucking nance.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby london blue 2 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Justified logic wrote:One save on the goal line by Zaba, another by Stones, but what really pissed me off was Bravo going in with his feet where Hart would have dived at the feet of the attacker, the fucking nance.

Zabba saved his blushes otherwise it was another high profile cock up.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum