replacing bravo

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: replacing bravo

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 am

Justified logic wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:Someone should hold a Gunn to Pep's head until he sees sense.

Gunn (b. 22/01/96) was in goal for the England u21 international yesterday. Pickford (b. 07/03/94) was on the bench. Can't help feeling that, if Gunn was at Sunderland and Pickford was with us, Gunn would be playing in the PL and Pickford would be kicking his heels. Also wondering whether we would be linked with a move for Gunn.

If we truly are going to buy in another 'top' goalie and we get rid of one of Bravo (please! please!) and Caballero (noooo!!!!!!) I hope Gunn can go out on loan to a PL or Championship side before he decides to leave.

Isn't Pickford England under21's regular first choice keeper?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Justified logic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:49 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Justified logic wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:Someone should hold a Gunn to Pep's head until he sees sense.

Gunn (b. 22/01/96) was in goal for the England u21 international yesterday. Pickford (b. 07/03/94) was on the bench. Can't help feeling that, if Gunn was at Sunderland and Pickford was with us, Gunn would be playing in the PL and Pickford would be kicking his heels. Also wondering whether we would be linked with a move for Gunn.

If we truly are going to buy in another 'top' goalie and we get rid of one of Bravo (please! please!) and Caballero (noooo!!!!!!) I hope Gunn can go out on loan to a PL or Championship side before he decides to leave.

He's certainly played more times for England u21s than Gunn has. Frankly I'm amazed Gunn got in the squad even as he's only played 4 games this season.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:10 am

Justified logic wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

He's certainly played more times for England u21s than Gunn has. Frankly I'm amazed Gunn got in the squad even as he's only played 4 games this season.

Im not normally one to complain but that is fucking ridiculous, third choice PL keeper should be playing regularly in the under23 league.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Justified logic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:56 am

Justified logic wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

Im not normally one to complain but that is fucking ridiculous, third choice PL keeper should be playing regularly in the under23 league.

I know you're not doubting me, but here is the link for my source.

http://uk.soccerway.com/players/angus-gunn/217678/

Amongst the hidden data on the page, he hasn't played in any first team Domestic Cups and has been on the bench for 3 International Cups (CL).

He's played 4 times in PL2, Grimshaw (19 y.o.) has played 3 times, Muric (18 y.o.) once and O'Brien (21 y.o.), now on loan at St Mirren - Jeez!, 11 times early in the season.

There's no data in Soccerway for the Premier League Cup, so Gunn may also have played in some of the 6 games that we were in that competition for.

I'd be interested in Doug's opinion, or that of anyone else who takes a keen interest in the youth teams, about these four young goalies.
Justified logic

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:12 am

Billy O'Brien wont be a City keeper. I have a soft spot for Danny Grimshaw as he came to Carrington with his dad to watch City training when he was a little lad. Growing as a keeper all the time,good shot stopper and great with his feet. Muric looks the part as he is very tall and another who plays sweeper keeper.

Gut feeling is that Muric was brought in for a reason so maybe destined to either make it or at least be given a good chance. All suggesting Grimshaw might not bet never say never.I think DG is set for a loan move next season.

And then we have Angus Gunn who I think is a fantastic prospect and would not have let us down had he been first team keeper all season. That might be pushing it a bit but I don't doubt at all that he could have done better than Bravo when he played. He is worth far more than a number 3 slot and I was surprised that he didn't get a loan this season.

Doesn't look great for Angus either if we are to believe the stories about the Benfica keeper coming in. IWhatever tho I reckon he will make it to the top
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:50 am

It's a shame Gunn isn't getting game time this season.

Of them all, I've said it a few times in the EDS thread, I like the look of Muric.

Can't claim to have seen a lot of him, but every time I do, he seems to be exactly what Pep would love, calm and commanding and comfortable on the ball and can also stop a shot.

Definitely one to watch.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Justified logic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks Doug. Such a shame we can't make use of our academy kids ourselves or at least loan them out to clubs where they'll get some decent PL-relevant experience.
Justified logic

Postby PrezIke » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Billy O'Brien wont be a City keeper. I have a soft spot for Danny Grimshaw as he came to Carrington with his dad to watch City training when he was a little lad. Growing as a keeper all the time,good shot stopper and great with his feet. Muric looks the part as he is very tall and another who plays sweeper keeper.

Gut feeling is that Muric was brought in for a reason so maybe destined to either make it or at least be given a good chance. All suggesting Grimshaw might not bet never say never.I think DG is set for a loan move next season.

And then we have Angus Gunn who I think is a fantastic prospect and would not have let us down had he been first team keeper all season. That might be pushing it a bit but I don't doubt at all that he could have done better than Bravo when he played. He is worth far more than a number 3 slot and I was surprised that he didn't get a loan this season.

Doesn't look great for Angus either if we are to believe the stories about the Benfica keeper coming in. IWhatever tho I reckon he will make it to the top

Maybe the club see Gunn as the backup who could challenge for the starting place either next season or the one following, but a loan next season does seem most likely.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby dazby » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:10 am

Last night Mat Ryan showed again why he'd be perfect in a Pep system. He played sweeper keeper, was inch perfect with his passing and made a brilliant free kick save from Omar Adbullaraman.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:43 am

dazby wrote:Last night Mat Ryan showed again why he'd be perfect in a Pep system. He played sweeper keeper, was inch perfect with his passing and made a brilliant free kick save from Omar Adbullaraman.

Wasn't he farmed back to Belgium because he was unable to get a game for Valencia? Impressive that he had a great game v the United Arab Emirates. He must be the real deal. And only turning 25 in a week!

By the way, Bravo is taller than Ryan and has been inch perfect with his passing for us so far. He'd be perfect in a Pep system...
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:15 am

fangsanalsatan wrote:
dazby wrote:Last night Mat Ryan showed again why he'd be perfect in a Pep system. He played sweeper keeper, was inch perfect with his passing and made a brilliant free kick save from Omar Adbullaraman.

Wasn't he farmed back to Belgium because he was unable to get a game for Valencia? Impressive that he had a great game v the United Arab Emirates. He must be the real deal. And only turning 25 in a week!

By the way, Bravo is taller than Ryan and has been inch perfect with his passing for us so far. He'd be perfect in a Pep system...

I was just going to mention that about his height, some wouldn't be happy with us bringing in another "midget" to play between the sticks.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:26 am

fangsanalsatan wrote:

I was just going to mention that about his height, some wouldn't be happy with us bringing in another "midget" to play between the sticks.

Tbf I think for keepers in the Premier League it's more about asserting themselves in the box. It's easier the taller you are obviously, but if you're brawny enough and maybe have some protection from your centre backs, you can get away with being around 6ft. Kasper Schmeichel is only an inch taller than Bravo, but he's doing alright as he has Morgan and Huth in front of him.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby PeterParker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:47 am

Top.
Never doubt him a sec.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby john@staustell » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:04 am

Never doubted ye for a minute :D

“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:15 am

He’s still fuckin shite!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:18 am

Mase wrote:He’s still fuckin shite!

Xactlee. Fair play to him solid display yesterday but that doesn't fool me he's still a liability. Angus Gunn as our no.2 please
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:41 am

this. imagine how you'd feel if he was in between the sticks for the rags or spurs games.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:42 am

anyway, he was helped because no one could have scored with the ball that was being used last night
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby JamieMCFC » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:49 pm

You're just upset that he hasn't given up a goal since we got rid of Kolarov. :lol:
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby PeterParker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Joke aside, I think he can't perform under pressure. In the previous games he played this season, WBA and Liverpool (60 minutes), he looked decent, no worries for him or us.
Last season he couldn't handle the spotlights and made those huge mistakes. If he can help Ederson become even better, fair play to him, he can stay.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum