Worst keeper ever.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Worst keeper ever.

Postby mr_nool » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Putting my neck on the line here ... I thought Bravo was good yesterday. He's footballing skills enabled us to play the way we did and we created loads of chances by playing our way out of Spurs' high pressing. The goals were hardly his fault.

I'm not saying he's been good the rest of the season, just that he's not necessarily to blame just because there were two goals from two shots.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Mase » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:36 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:@Mase, that Spurs want him or that he's offered himself to Spurs?

Liverpool were mentioned in the post above Nigel's so I assumed he was talking about Liverpool mate?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:40 pm

Mase wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:@Mase, that Spurs want him or that he's offered himself to Spurs?

Liverpool were mentioned in the post above Nigel's so I assumed he was talking about Liverpool mate?

Ah right, that makes more sense.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby City64 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:41 pm

mr_nool wrote:Putting my neck on the line here ... I thought Bravo was good yesterday. He's footballing skills enabled us to play the way we did and we created loads of chances by playing our way out of Spurs' high pressing. The goals were hardly his fault.

I'm not saying he's been good the rest of the season, just that he's not necessarily to blame just because there were two goals from two shots.

Respect your opinion mr nool but Bravo has never been good for us infact he is a disaster who hasn't hardly ever made a save of note and if he is the best we can get then god help us !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby mr_nool » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:52 pm

City64 wrote:
mr_nool wrote:Putting my neck on the line here ... I thought Bravo was good yesterday. He's footballing skills enabled us to play the way we did and we created loads of chances by playing our way out of Spurs' high pressing. The goals were hardly his fault.

Respect your opinion mr nool but Bravo has never been good for us infact he is a disaster who hasn't hardly ever made a save of note and if he is the best we can get then god help us !

I agree that he's not been good overall this season, but if you take yesterday's match out of context, I don't think it was a bad performance from him.

And seeing Lloris panicking under pressure yesterday, our opponents would have a field day if we had someone like him between the sticks and tried to play the Pep way. Lloris is considered one of the better keepers with his feet in the league, so Bravo's good qualities can't be underestimated.

And with all this said, I started a thread about playing Willy ahead of Claudio already in October.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby sidSmith » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:58 pm

I'd still start Willy ahead of him for the time being. 2 matches and we've conceeded with every shot on target. I'm not saying that it's all his fault and the defense need to take some responsibility, but I can't help but feel they are making mistakes because they feel under pressure with him in goal. I just don't think he gives them the confidence they might be lacking.
sidSmith
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby City64 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:10 pm

mr_nool wrote:
City64 wrote:

I agree that he's not been good overall this season, but if you take yesterday's match out of context, I don't think it was a bad performance from him.

And seeing Lloris panicking under pressure yesterday, our opponents would have a field day if we had someone like him between the sticks and tried to play the Pep way. Lloris is considered one of the better keepers with his feet in the league, so Bravo's good qualities can't be underestimated.

And with all this said, I started a thread about playing Willy ahead of Claudio already in October.

Funny enough Lloris having a complete mare yesterday took the heat off Bravo plus we were that good Spurs only had 2 attempts on goal , both ended up in net unfortunately . Pep will stick Bravo until the summer but then he has to go , the further the better :lol:
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby fangsanalsatan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:01 pm

I think the fact that his confidence is shot to bits makes Bravo seem worse than his ability and experience would suggest. Don't get me wrong, he has been very poor so far, but surely it is not all lack of ability.

And looking at the goals yesterday, it's no wonder his stats are as abysmal as they are. The second one is practically a penalty for Son, the first one a free header from 4 yards out coming from a free cross. A confident keeper might pluck that cross out of the air, but if Bravo gets that one wrong, he'll get stoned and crucified prior to his weekly lynching, so I can see how he would decide against it in his current mess of a situation.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby foreverblue » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Begovic is for sale.
foreverblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:48 pm

foreverblue wrote:Begovic is for sale.

What joy ...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Seriously though, at the moment it almost feels like 'any port in a storm' and he'd certainly be an improvement, to my mind, on Bravo.....at least in the shot stopping aspect.

Have you seen any details re the transfer fee FB ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:48 pm

No point buying shite even if he would be an improvement.
Promote from within or buy someone who's class
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby foreverblue » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

What joy ...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Seriously though, at the moment it almost feels like 'any port in a storm' and he'd certainly be an improvement, to my mind, on Bravo.....at least in the shot stopping aspect.

Have you seen any details re the transfer fee FB ??

Chelsea have rejected £10m from Bournemouth which seems to be a fair bid to be honest.
foreverblue

Postby foreverblue » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:

Bravo is gash. Caballero is out of contract. Who can we get this second? Can we pry a decent keeper out of anyone at this time? Worryingly we seem to consider Keylor Navas as a possible solution.
foreverblue

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:26 pm

foreverblue wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

Bravo is gash. Caballero is out of contract. Who can we get this second? Can we pry a decent keeper out of anyone at this time? Worryingly we seem to consider Keylor Navas as a possible solution.

the drummer from def leppard would do a better job
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby BookJunior » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:23 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I've seen Ron Healey, Keith Macrae, Eike Immel, Joe Corrigan before he became good, Martyn Margetson, Arne Arneson or whatever his name was, but despite all their shortcomings, I have never seen a goalkeeper at City so absolutely incapable of stopping the ball going past him as this berk now.
Discuss

You must be older than me because Joe Corrigan was always awesome in my memory. In fact my memory of him was how he singlehandedly kept us up for one season in the '70s after Big Mal returned.
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby BookJunior » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:

I agree. There should be a steady stream of youngsters coming through. It's a simple process.
BookJunior

Postby zuricity » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:40 pm

BookJunior wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I've seen Ron Healey, Keith Macrae, Eike Immel, Joe Corrigan before he became good, Martyn Margetson, Arne Arneson or whatever his name was, but despite all their shortcomings, I have never seen a goalkeeper at City so absolutely incapable of stopping the ball going past him as this berk now.
Discuss

You must be older than me because Joe Corrigan was always awesome in my memory. In fact my memory of him was how he singlehandedly kept us up for one season in the '70s after Big Mal returned.

Joe didn't get off to a good start. A lot of the crowd got on his case too, but he came back stronger and leaner and turned into a great goalie, whose international career was limited because we had Shilton and Clemence as well, at various periods spanning his career.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby BookJunior » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:31 pm

I actually thought Joe was better than Clemence who had regular howlers for England. Shilton I'm not so sure about.
BookJunior

Postby zuricity » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:33 pm

BookJunior wrote:I actually thought Joe was better than Clemence who had regular howlers for England. Shilton I'm not so sure about.

Me too, but Shilton really was the best of the three, the natural successor to Gordon Banks.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:58 pm

I thought Joe was an excellent keeper and was very unlucky not to get more caps for England. He was around at a time when the two afore mentioned keepers seemed to share the decade between them.

I was only a kid but remember it the way Zuricity describes it. He was over weight and struggled for a while but went off and whipped himself into shape and became an excellent keeper.

By the way. Peters Shilton made his debut for Leicester at the age of 16 and played in the 1969 FA cup final against us aged 19.

Leicester replaced Gordon Banks with him while Banks was England's World Cup winning no.1

I know keepers mature and peak later but why if we have the likes of Angus Gunn who is used to playing football the way we do in the academy, do we not take a punt and use him.

From what I saw the other night in the 18's match, this guy Muric is really big also and looks confident.

Why not put two of them in the squad fighting it out to keep both on their toes.
It couldn't be any worse than the current situation and we could save ourselves a fortune, because no matter who we buy we will be charged extortionate fees.
Clubs no we are desperate.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum