institutional Bias Against City?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

institutional Bias Against City?

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Interesting article http://bet.unibet.co.uk/football/premie ... ester-city

Is there institutionalised bias against Manchester City?

It was only right and proper that Manchester City’s recent 4-0 defeat to Everton was accompanied by the sharpening of knives across the media. This was City’s fourth loss in eight Premier League games and in the hyperbolic climes we now reside in it represented no less than a ‘crisis’, a wholly unexpected one to boot. Back in September it appeared that Guardiola’s alchemy was instant with the title already a foregone conclusion. Now a shambolic defence was making Kevin Mirallas look Messi-esque.

Wounded and confused, the club’s fan-base braced themselves for the inevitable backlash that would surely monopolise that week’s news cycle, headlines and criticism aimed predominantly at readers who have come to resent the club’s rise in recent years. They anticipated the tone: a gleeful schadenfreude at a Bond baddies’ comeuppance; an attempt at world domination gone spectacularly awry.

They expected the visuals that were handed to the press on a plate: the most heralded coach in world football shell-shocked on the touchline, unable to make sense of why his meticulously-planned vision was unravelling before his very eyes. Throw in a mock-up of Claudio Bravo sporting a clown nose and some merciless ribbing in the office and a torrid few days awaited.

BBC Sport ✔ @BBCSport
Claudio Bravo hasn't made a Premier League save since 2 Januaryhttp://bbc.in/2khhVoF
4:45 PM - 23 Jan 2017
1,118 1,118 Retweets 1,085 1,085 likes

What they couldn’t have foresaw – even fans who have long become accustomed to their club being sniped at, belittled and disrespected by the media – was Neil Ashton's hate-piece in The Sun. It was not the words that especially offended – a cut-and-paste mix of bile and cliché – but rather the bold text above it: ‘569m reasons why City deserve a good kicking’.

This was not a journalistic swoosh of sharpened blade, this was a phlegmy spit in the face, an antagonistic declaration that is impossible to imagine being applied to any other club. An unscrupulous owner perhaps. An extremely unpopular national manager at a push. But a club? Never.

What precisely had City done to warrant a ‘good kicking’? Spent a great deal of money, like their peers. And lost a few games, also like their peers.

As shocking as it was, Ashton’s warmongering was only the latest in an unrelenting campaign of negativity and animosity emanating from the media towards City since their takeover in 2008.

Previously they have been described on television and in the tabloids as ‘whores’, ‘morally bankrupt’, and charged with single-handedly ‘ruining football’ – yet these are only the examples so spiteful they stick in the memory. Far more pernicious is the constant drip-feed of digs from commentator’s mouths to countless tabloid articles concentrating only on the wealth that has elevated City among the established elite.

It is an elevation that is impressive and unprecedented in its scale – in nine short years the club have upgraded from Emile Mpenza to Sergio Aguero, won the league twice, built an outstanding state-of-the-art academy, committed to work in the community that is bettered by none, and now find themselves self-sufficient and debt-free. It is also an elevation that could have been viewed as a fairy-tale, a celebratory narrative of long-suffering Blues getting all six numbers and experiencing dreams previously assumed forever beyond them.

Yet an algorithm of media coverage during this surreal and exhilarating period can be condensed to scoffed disbelief at a misplaced pass from Yaya Toure followed by an obligatory mention of his wage packet and a cheap joke about birthday cakes to remind everyone that he is little more than a mercenary. That or a snide reference to Raheem Sterling’s diamond-encrusted sink or his sheer gall to shop in Poundworld. The boy really can’t win can he?

Failing that there will always be former professionals happy to line up and take pot-shots at a few empty seats while on co-commentary duties in between mouthfuls of vol-au-vents served up by a club that has largely taken a pacifistic approach to tempering the hostility. ‘Be nice to them and they will eventually be nice to us’ appears to be the mandate the PR department stubbornly adheres to, a flawed strategy that allows Neil Ashton to be welcomed with open arms to the Etihad just two days after writing his inflammatory piece; a flawed strategy that Sir Alex Ferguson would baulk at knowing the utter futility of it.

Seeking refuge from the unremitting negativity that surrounds their club a City supporter might understandably venture to the local pub for some well-deserved respite. There surely they will be free to discuss football with like-minded souls, encountering a bit of ‘bantz’ naturally but laced with less poison that has one eye on maximising social media clicks.

Yet here they will encounter the same clichés, untruths, and puerile slingshots only spat instead of spoken. It should never be under-estimated to what extent City are resented for muscling their way onto a plateau previously thought to be exclusively reserved for a select few and bizarrely this hatred is not solely confined to supporters of those clubs directly affected. Whatever a person’s allegiance they will – as likely as not – be appalled and insulted by a club daring to challenge the traditional elite and do so by employing exactly the same modus operandi for success of buying the best players available.

So whether it’s delivered with a scouse twang, Essex sharpness or a Norfolk drawl the material is always the same. No history. No class. Emptyhad. Oil money. Sterling castigated for having the temerity to move from one top flight club to another. And, of course, the new favourite, Pep Fraudiola.

It was all supposed to stop with the arrival of Pep. Or at least it was expected to get better. Yet such is the depth of ill-feeling towards Manchester City that this fascinating, charismatic creator of extraordinary teams has found himself sucked into the vortex of unpopularity that engulfs the club.

Tarnished by association. Instead it is Liverpool’s Jürgen Klopp who enjoys the status of media darling while Jose Mourinho’s villainous persona has been softened to that of an endearing character since taking over at Old Trafford. Of the former the contrast between the coverage he is afforded and the goading of Guardiola and general hope that he fails is quite something and we can only imagine the ferocity of criticism the City boss would have endured had he – a foreigner – deigned to disrespect our FA Cup by fielding a side entirely made up of kids.

Indeed, we don’t need to imagine it: Manuel Pellegrini is still counting the bruises from doing similar last season and that with a Champions League game only days away. In the league meanwhile Liverpool’s defence have conceded only one less than City’s this term, which would surprise many considering the welter of remorseless condemnation of Kolorov and co over the other. The same goes for each manager’s respective abilities to organise said rear-guards. Lastly, with just a single win in 2017 so far (and that to League 2 side Plymouth) in the hyperbolic climes we now reside in it represents no less than a ‘crisis’. Please don’t await such talk with baited breath. You will suffocate.

It is quite amazing what leeway a big broad grin gets you. That and being the boss of Liverpool.

Determining what came first, the media’s constant undermining of Manchester City or the general public’s strong disapproval of them really amounts to a chicken and egg conundrum. But without question one feeds off the other, inspiring the negativity and misinformation, while they in turn are pandered to by outlets seeking a sizable, appreciative audience.

This in itself is a depressing state of affairs that appears only to be coarsening with each passing season. Yet there is another aspect to City’s singular treatment that should be a concern to all.

It didn’t take long for Guardiola to realise that there is potentially something very remiss about the manner in which City games are officiated. Now, six months in, he is seeking a second meeting with the head of PGMOB Mike Riley after witnessing a series of perplexing decisions go against his team.

The high-profile incidents from recent weeks would be sufficient to raise alarm bells on their own – the straight-forward dismissals of Luiz against Chelsea and Walker against Spurs that were not even given as fouls – but much more worrying are these entirely contradictory facts: City top the possession stats by some margin yet lie third in the disciplinary table. And the odd meltdown aside, they are anything but a dirty side.

City supporters are hardly alone in believing their team is persecuted by referees but the evidence from seasons past has accumulated until it now borders on the irrefutable. The whisper of doubt has become a sane, steady voice of logic that asks a perfectly reasonable question: If the media are so against them – with journalists and pundits unable to hide their personal feelings and remain impartial – and if the majority of the public regard their club so appallingly, then what is stopping referees from unintentionally doing likewise?
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Re: institutional Bias Against City?

Postby City64 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Superb honest summary I applaud the author .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:37 pm

Nail on the head
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby zuricity » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:38 pm

City64 wrote:Superb honest summary I applaud the author .

excellent i agree, but i don't think the public hate us and i travel a lot , it seems many people abroad love watching us play . Our diciplinary record is a testament to the ineptness of the PL referees.

If by chance Dean or Clatterbung is reading this ... go fcuk youselves.
Last edited by zuricity on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Who is this guy Tudor?
A very good piece but did he not get the author of the 'City getting a kicking' article wrong.?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:40 pm

It's gathering momentum...
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby everyonehatesus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:41 pm

This needs sending to every fucking cunt radio station, cheating cunt from the fa and their gimps that are sent out to fuck us over every 90 mins of football we play.
Spot on, every last word
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby City64 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:42 pm

zuricity wrote:
City64 wrote:Superb honest summary I applaud the author .

excellent i agree, but i don't think the public hate us and i travel a lot , it seems many people abroad love watching us play . Our disaplinery record is a testament to the ineptness of the PL referees.

If by chance Dean or Clatterbung is reading this ... go fcuk youselves.

There is an institutional hating of all things Manchester City in the UK pal for sure !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby sheblue » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Excellent article agree 100% with everything.
But some still.won't accept it.
It's high time the club stood up to the bullies.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:45 pm

london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:46 pm

Appalled they allowed the Sun in after that headline of 659m reasons City need a kicking. They will never warm to us and the softly softly nicey nice approach is doomed to failure. They will write shit and lies regardless so we may as well ban the fuckers
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Absolutely heart warming.

This should be made to be obligatory reading for all football fans, the FA, all referees, the media and all other managers.......and that's just for starters.

Don't know who the person/journalist is who wrote that but if one man can see it and write so forcibly about it, why can't other journalists.

They can't all be dishonest, can they ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby zuricity » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:53 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Absolutely heart warming.

This should be made to be obligatory reading for all football fans, the FA, all referees, the media and all other managers.......and that's just for starters.

Don't know who the person/journalist is who wrote that but if one man can see it and write so forcibly about it, why can't other journalists.

It can't be a modern journalist , they only worry about keeping their jobs , true journalists publish and be damned.

He's probably a frustrated footy fan seeking the truth.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:57 pm

zuricity wrote:

It can't be a modern journalist , they only worry about keeping their jobs , true journalists publish and be damned.

He's probably a frustrated footy fan seeking the truth.

Whomsoever he/she is ZC, it's all credit to them for that.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:59 pm

nottsblue wrote:Appalled they allowed the Sun in after that headline of 659m reasons City need a kicking. They will never warm to us and the softly softly nicey nice approach is doomed to failure. They will write shit and lies regardless so we may as well ban the fuckers

This is the one thing about the club I find infuriating. The scum in the press like Ashton can shit on us and get a warm welcome the next day. This needs sorting as these scum-sucking cunts will never give us an even break and need fucking off.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:59 pm

Before sending the piece anywhere I think it should be edited.
It was Ashton who wrote the Sun article not Custis as he states.

Otherwise I do agree it needs a wider audience.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:04 pm

Great article.

As my blood pressure was low, I just put TalkShite on. Some presenter and two journos having a Spurs love in. And Pochetino is the world's greatest manager. And they have the best 11 who'd win the league if they played every week (has that ever happened?). And Kane is magnificent. And the new stadium will have a glass tunnel. By the end of it, I'd almost forgot we battered them at the weekend, dodgy ref aside and are only 3 points behind.

Then it's our turn - we're shit, 12 points behind Chelsea (which means Spurs are 9 points behind them, not the 20 clear I thought), Guardiola is arrogant for not speaking to the press with respect (I assume they gave bacon the same treatment when he wouldn't speak to them at all), our defence is shocking, he can't improve players, Joe Hart would have kept 47 clean sheets by now, we're so bad we'll be lucky to stay up etc etc.

After the break, we move to the other team in Manchester (the women?) - they're on a roll and are now breathing down City's neck. Hang on, I thought we were worse than Hull, so how can them being behind us be an example of how great they are?

Radio through window...
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:07 pm

But there is NO AGENDA as some cunts on here will tell us.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby branny » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:03 am

Good of him to speak up but would have carried more weight if he was a neutral. There's a link to a Four Four Two article in the comments that introduces "City fan Stephen Tudor" which is written in a similar vein as the above.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:22 am

Working in Glasgow this week and I had an Everton fan to my left and a rag fan to my right. Both of the imbeciles are Glasgow born and bred. Both taking great interest in our tanking at Everton but the Everton fan was actually worse than the rag and they looked at me with contempt and said "anyway, why City" as if I had chosen my allegiance last week. I just laughed and told them they are my local club but you wouldn't understand, they looked at me and when it began to sink in, they didn't say much more.

Prime examples of media fed tossers. Glad to say they are not the norm up here, as there are some great football debates to be had and no bitter stupid sun fueled digs used as "FACTS". Just seems I was unlucky to sit where I did the other day.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum