***whu v pep's city official match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***whu v pep's city official match thread***

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:11 am

Sat in the pub, with no commentary, the general consensus, was that it was the fact Sterling tried to get up that may well have won him the penalty.perhaps the ref saw he was fouled and was going to give itanyway, but certainly not a dive.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby fangsanalsatan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:17 am

mr_nool wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:It's not really sch either, it's a voiced palato-alveolar sibilant (ʒ), so more like a zh.

It's also not ZHO-say, but ZHU-ze, if we're being pedantic. The last vowel is short and the s is pronounced as a z.

I also don't think that English speakers have a problem pronouncing the voiced palato-alveolar sibilant per se, as it is used in the English language frequently enough (see: vision, rouge, measure, treasure, genre...). The problem arises from the fact that it is not tied to a single letter in the alphabet and English phonology is so random in general that a pronounciation cannot be applied to a foreign word by rule. In the case of Jesus, there is the added issue of an already established English pronounciation, but otherwise it is pretty straight-forward.

So, yeah... how about that performance yesterday?

Nice linguistic explanation! The only point I would like to add is that discussions like SCH/ZH, etc. are a bit tricky. We all have different references as to how these letter combinations should sound depending on our mother tongue. I know this is an English speaking forum, but I'm pretty sure Coca wrote his post about SCH with the Swedish interpretation in mind (in many Swedish dialects SCH would be more similar to the vision/rouge sound you're describing rather than the German SCH. I.E. unless we start using phonetic script (and decide on which one to use) we won't be speaking the same - ahem - language.

Oh, that is a good point. My mind went naturally to the German sch, as that is the language I primarily use. But there's also usually a bit of a lateral thinking involved for me, since there actually are distinct letters in the Croatian alphabet to denote both, namely ž and š.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby Bluedj » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:47 am

john@staustell wrote:I speak fluent Spanish but I firmly believe English commentators should stop pissing about and pronounce things in English. For example the pitiful attempts to pronounce Cazorla.

Technically it isn't HOsay or HAYsus in Spanish because J is not simply pronounced H. We don't have that pronunciation in English, just as we don't have the Spanish Z - it isn't a straight TH.

Pretty sure also that J in Portuguese is a bit like Catalan - more like ZH.

So why bother? Just say them in English

Do we say Paris, or Paree???

John.....not having a go here.....BUT i don't give a f@@k how they pronounce Jesus.......Because if he keeps playing like this, soon they'll be calling him GOD! lol
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Bluedj wrote:
john@staustell wrote:I speak fluent Spanish but I firmly believe English commentators should stop pissing about and pronounce things in English. For example the pitiful attempts to pronounce Cazorla.

Technically it isn't HOsay or HAYsus in Spanish because J is not simply pronounced H. We don't have that pronunciation in English, just as we don't have the Spanish Z - it isn't a straight TH.

John.....not having a go here.....BUT i don't give a f@@k how they pronounce Jesus.......Because if he keeps playing like this, soon they'll be calling him GOD! lol

Here in Dublin, it's Ja-a-a-ayzus.
Always has been and always will be.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Watch on youtube.com

First minute and twenty seconds of this is a nice compliment from West Ham on last night.
The old lad rambles on a bit after.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby carolina-blue » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:45 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Watch on youtube.com

First minute and twenty seconds of this is a nice compliment from West Ham on last night.
The old lad rambles on a bit after.

Holy Schmolie your right the old boy does go on
A bit lol , "Total Football" luv it
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby PrezIke » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
bigblue wrote:why do the commentators keep saying JAYzeus?? its driving me up a wall

That's how it's pronounced in Portuguese.

Do you say HO-say or JOE-say Mourinho?

It's neither, it's that sch sound that you brits and yanks can't seem to wrap your head around.

I'm quite adept at it and am familiar, sorry to break your bubble. I simplified it for certain Anglo speakers. Must mean I ain't a Yank then. :)
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby zuricity » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:48 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
bigblue wrote:why do the commentators keep saying JAYzeus?? its driving me up a wall

That's how it's pronounced in Portuguese.

Do you say HO-say or JOE-say Mourinho?

It's neither, it's that sch sound that you brits and yanks can't seem to wrap your head around.

I'm quite adept at it and am familiar, sorry to break your bubble. I simplified it for certain Anglo speakers. Must mean I ain't a Yank then. :)

Ffs everyone knows that Jose is pronounced , heyyoucnut !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Sparklehorse » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:25 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Bluedj wrote:

Here in Dublin, it's Ja-a-a-ayzus.
Always has been and always will be.

I'd go with Homer Simpsons " Jebus" !!!
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby bigblue » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:18 pm

nottsblue wrote:
bigblue wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
bigblue wrote:PRAISE BE TO THE HIGHEST

Jesus' pass to Sterling right before his goal was incredible as well

Do you mean Sane?

I think it was to Sterling, a through ball from midfield that Sterling took too long to get a shot off

Was Sane with the through ball to Sterling who then squared it to Jesus.

First player to score and assist for us on full debut in the PL

This was the through ball I was talking about:

https://youtu.be/P7je9J8fyBQ?t=4m7s

Oh and mcpointalot needs to fuckoff from tv for good. Has the positivity of nigles tackle with the insight of phips combined with a searing hatred for all things City
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum