Aguero, a long goodbye?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Aguero, a long goodbye?

Postby nottsblue » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Is the writing on the wall for Aguero with us? He is a proper legend in our history, the third highest scorer ever and he has elevated us to where we are today, obviously with help from the likes of Silva, Yaya and Kompany to name just three, but it's the guys who score goals that are remembered more.

The last twelve months or so we have seen a more withdrawn Aguero. He clearly still has an eye for goal as 18 this season testifies, but his overall productivity seems to be on the slide. Remember earlier in the season when Pep said he wanted him to improve and the MotD guys looked at each other in disbelief? I do think Pep would like more from him in terms of intensity, tracking, chasing and harrying and more unselfish and quicker movement of the ball. When you look at what Sane or Jesus brings to the forward line it does make you wonder long term where Aguero will fit into a front three system. In addition we of course also have KDB and Sterling and Silva, though he surely only has a couple of years left at the highest level.

Unless Pep changes the style we play to accommodate two strikers instead of a front three where they interchange, then long term, has Aguero a place in this set up? I'm not suggesting he is sold to China before their window is over (end of February I believe, so still hope Bony goes). It would be crazy to sell him before the season is out or indeed before a replacement is sourced. We can't rely on just Jesus and Iheanacho as they are still very young and will need time to get to grips with the PL. But Aguero strikes me as a guy who needs to be the main man. I think that time has passed for him and after this season we may have a new main man. Pep himself said after yesterday's game that the three who played up front were the future of the club.

If we do decide to sell in the summer as least we would still get top dollar for him which would go towards a replacement. I would hope myself it's a particularly long goodbye and he stays another season before he is moved on. However, I have my doubts and believe he is on borrowed time with us. Either way, whether the goodbye is long or relatively short, it's goodbye nonetheless
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: Aguero, a long goodbye?

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:25 pm

Aguero will be the only person who decides when or if to leave.

End of.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby nottsblue » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:26 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Aguero will be the only person who decides when or if to leave.

End of.

I sincerely doubt that.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dameerto » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:29 pm

He just needs to get his hunger back - and hopefully the arrival of Jesus can help him with that.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby john@staustell » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:30 pm

I always remember people saying you need 4 top class strikers to win big trophies. I guess nowadays that could be 3.

So with Nacho not measuring up, we have Aguero and Jesus - who isn't an orthodox striker

I think Pep is a bit mischievous to be honest, letting the speculation run away
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Wooders » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Dameerto wrote:He just needs to get his hunger back - and hopefully the arrival of Jesus can help him with that.

I agree with this, despite his return on goals making the idea he needs some "hunger" seem a little weird and spoilt from us fans, however its clear he is not giving us his all, frustrating really given his ability
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:58 pm

I heard that Aguero had a slight knock going into the FA Cup game and he was only there 'Just in case'. However, the whispers in the media get the mind spinning and usually end up with the wrong conclusion.

I think Aguero is here to stay for a while yet unless a very big offer comes in for him, with very lucrative terms. I also think that we/he may look to change is game a little from an out and out striker to somebody who plays just behind.

We'll see I guess but I wouldn't want to lose a player that most say was the only world class player in the Prem.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Wooders » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:10 pm

who says he is the only WCP in the prem???
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby branny » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:26 pm

He looks like he's lost that explosive pace over the first few metres that used to take him past and away from defenders (remember the goal at the Swamp). He's still a great finisher though but if he's not scoring he's a passenger in this system.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby carolina-blue » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:44 pm

nottsblue wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Aguero will be the only person who decides when or if to leave.

End of.

I sincerely doubt that.

A very long goodbye IMO
I am with Carl on this one . the guy is still one of the best strikers in the Prem , and I think we will see it now he has some serious competition .
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:46 pm

branny wrote:He looks like he's lost that explosive pace over the first few metres that used to take him past and away from defenders (remember the goal at the Swamp). He's still a great finisher though but if he's not scoring he's a passenger in this system.

And I don't think Pep will allow passengers.

Hopefully the genuine competition will inspire him. I think it has done so for Sterling. Hopefully Kun will rise to the challenge.

I think Pep wants a fluid frontline that can do a number of jobs. Not least defending from the front.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:51 pm

What I don't get is he's been left out for all of 3 or 4 games this season, yet every time the press try and spin him being on his way.

Don't believe the hype our best years came when we could rotate strikers with other quality strikers if we could see this don't be so daft to think others at city couldn't. Aguero might finally have genuine competition, if that makes him walk id be very surprised. He doesn't seem that type to me.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Moving Aguero on would be dafter than moving Joe on. I think Beefy is right as Aguero did have a knock for the cup game. He didn't play yet the media said he had been dropped for WHam. How can you be dropped from a team you weren't in? The only concern I have is the seeming drop in pace.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby littlebig » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:58 pm

We'd be mad to get rid of. The only plus being that we could get good cash
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:46 pm

Just needs a good kick in the ass. He cant rest on his laurels.

Was it Lampard who recently said that Aguero would be late to training and say "ill score a hattrick and ill be forgiven" (or something like that)? Thats a piss poor attitude
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:53 pm

nottsblue wrote:

End of.

I sincerely doubt that.

Pep already stated the above - quote un quote.

Aguero will only move on if hes out of the first team in a regular basis as I cannot see anyone at city wanting to sell arguably the best forward in the prem for the last x amount of years.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Blue Since 76 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:07 pm

I was surprised to see him on the bench yesterday as they said he had a knock and was doubtful.

That said, I've thought for a while that he may well go in the summer. Personal opinion, not based on much beyond gut feel, but I just don't think he can fit into what Pep wants. The Aguero we signed was all pace and chasing down, but he's lost that with his injuries. Whether Jesus will give him the kick that means he needs to do more remains to be seen, as does whether he's physically capable.

Big issue will be where he could go. Not sure the teams in Spain would want him or could pay the fee/wages. Juve maybe, PSG more likely, but I do wonder if he'd fancy 2 years making a lot of money in China before his last years in Argentina.

Whatever happens, just hope it all ends amicably and he can remain the legend he is with no Toure/Tevez style bad taste.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby City64 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:14 pm

Word is Madrid are sniffing now Aguero isn't first choice . On the other hand Pep may start him on sunday and he will bag a hatrick ? we don't know and second guessing Pep is almost impossible . Hopefully Aguero will still be here after the summer for another season , strength in depth is what Pep and all of us want and Jesus has only played a couple of games so speculation is bound to be rife . Aguero is one player who would be very difficult and very costly to replace an absolute world class legend for City , dismissing his supreme class and value is just foolish but every player no matter his ability has a shelf life doesn't he ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:13 pm

Can't see him leaving despite many blues thinking he will. And Madrid better pay our fucking owner his money back before putting in bids for our players (unless we want Madrid to, of course).
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Dimples » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:37 pm

I am in the camp that thinks he will be gone in the Summer.
He is not a Pep type of player, he has lost that explosive burst of speed, he is getting old, his performances have dipped,
He is injury prone.

For me the problem is Kun's 25 goals a season will be to expensive for Pep in terms of the way he wants to play.

Kun for us is history.
The King is dead long live the King.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum