Favourite player when we were shit

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Favourite player when we were shit

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Forgot Sun Jihai. Legend
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:41 am

My son was at his mates yesterday and came back telling me "I traded this old City card" and then pulled this masterpiece out. I wasn't sure which made me more emotional, the fact that my son was buzzing about Kinkladze card or the fact that Toffs have recognized Kinky as City hero and printed a legend card.

Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:51 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:My son was at his mates yesterday and came back telling me "I traded this old City card" and then pulled this masterpiece out. I wasn't sure which made me more emotional, the fact that my son was buzzing about Kinkladze card or the fact that Toffs have recognized Kinky as City hero and printed a legend card.

You're doing a grand job NQDP, bringing up your son with the correct values in life.

Respect to you. :D
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Alioune DVToure » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:01 am

Kenny Carr. Unforgettable debut at Spotland.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Crossie » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:21 pm

I remember thinking Kare Ingebritsen and Alfons Groenendijk had come to save our souls.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Paul Power, Big Joe, there were so many. Even had a soft spot for Danny Granville!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:19 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Paul Power, Big Joe, there were so many. Even had a soft spot for Danny Granville!

When the players used to warm up at the school across from Maine Road at the back where people could park their cars - I can't remember who the manager was at the time but he wanted us to warm up before the match at the school so that when they first came out on the pitch it would give them a buzz, rather than warm up in front of a half empty stadium. We used to park on that car park and watched the players warming up, Granville was doing shuttle runs in front of the window we were at. On this occasion I took a mate to the mate with me from school and he asked 'is this player any good?' and pointed to Granville. I said "no Granville's rubbish" without realising the players inside could hear us - Granville put his head up and looked over to say 'I heard that'. I've never felt so bad in my life!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:31 am

Mase wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Paul Power, Big Joe, there were so many. Even had a soft spot for Danny Granville!

When the players used to warm up at the school across from Maine Road at the back where people could park their cars - I can't remember who the manager was at the time but he wanted us to warm up before the match at the school so that when they first came out on the pitch it would give them a buzz, rather than warm up in front of a half empty stadium. We used to park on that car park and watched the players warming up, Granville was doing shuttle runs in front of the window we were at. On this occasion I took a mate to the mate with me from school and he asked 'is this player any good?' and pointed to Granville. I said "no Granville's rubbish" without realising the players inside could hear us - Granville put his head up and looked over to say 'I heard that'. I've never felt so bad in my life!

Was that the pitch that later became the Platt Lane Academy Mase? If so it used to be Manchester City Police football ground, I played there a few times back in the day.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby RodneyRodney » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:09 pm

Corrigan , obviously , Bobby Mac, Stevie Mac, Gow , Lake,White, Simmo, Redmond,
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:57 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:

Was that the pitch that later became the Platt Lane Academy Mase? If so it used to be Manchester City Police football ground, I played there a few times back in the day.

In that photograph then JC, which one is you ?? :D :D

Seriously though, that brings back some nice memories of a great side; thanks for posting it.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:

In that photograph then JC, which one is you ?? :D :D

Seriously though, that brings back some nice memories of a great side; thanks for posting it.

I think they were in Wythenshawe Park there MC.

I remember the Police Ground at Platt Lane looking like this when I turned out. I think City took over in around 1979 and the Police moved to Hough End. Before that the club training took place at Cheadle and I used to watch them when I covered Cheadle Rovers as a Stockport Advertiser reporter in the 60s.

those were the days my friend.....http://www.express.co.uk/pictures/galle ... 1963-68523
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:39 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:

Not too sure mate. It was the kippax side of the ground right next to the car park.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby BookJunior » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:46 pm

Mase wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:

Not too sure mate. It was the kippax side of the ground right next to the car park.

MC and JC you two are a goldmine of knowledge!
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum