Favourite player when we were shit

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Favourite player when we were shit

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Dub City wrote:Andy Morrison, came in when club was on knees and dragged us up the table hard as fuck in a side that was too soft for the level they were at. For me one of our most important ever signings.

Would have to throw Goater in there aswell never looked to be in control of ball but always got in there when it counted.

Especially when he took the ball off Rat Boy and scored from an acute angle.

Magical.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby South Stand Balti » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:32 pm

Ron and Paul Futcher and then Skippy a few years later.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:32 pm

Slim wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Loved the guy and it was a crying shame that we didn't get him whilst he was in his prime; that would have been something really special.

Same for me and Ali B. Extraordinary player. Loved the way we snaffled him up from under Newcastle's noses too. Willie mckay and KK. One of the best deals ever.

Was it not Sunderland?

Ali Benarbia has snubbed a quick route to the Premiership to help Manchester City fulfil Kevin Keegan's promotion ambitions. The Algerian midfielder, already a Maine Road favourite after just three games, has been approached by a top-flight club.

But Benarbia remains committed to the club he joined on a free transfer from Paris St-Germain. Benarbia's agent, Willie MacKay, said last night: "We were contacted by a Premiership club in the last few days, but I told Kevin Keegan immediately."

The mystery club has not been named, but is believed to be Newcastle United. The Magpies' manager, Bobby Robson, was interested in the Benarbia before he signed for City.

Interesting. I never knew he'd been linked with Newcastle at the time.

I was at that amazing 6-2 game at Hillsborough right after he signed and I remember chatting to my dad about him not ending up at Sunderland and how they would surely come to regret not signing him.

Just found this from 2001 (so I'm not going mad):

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... k-cat-deal
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby sandman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:10 am

I can't pick just one;

Rosler
Tiatto
Weaver
Bosvelt
Dunne
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Slim » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:34 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Slim wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Loved the guy and it was a crying shame that we didn't get him whilst he was in his prime; that would have been something really special.

Same for me and Ali B. Extraordinary player. Loved the way we snaffled him up from under Newcastle's noses too. Willie mckay and KK. One of the best deals ever.

Was it not Sunderland?

Ali Benarbia has snubbed a quick route to the Premiership to help Manchester City fulfil Kevin Keegan's promotion ambitions. The Algerian midfielder, already a Maine Road favourite after just three games, has been approached by a top-flight club.

But Benarbia remains committed to the club he joined on a free transfer from Paris St-Germain. Benarbia's agent, Willie MacKay, said last night: "We were contacted by a Premiership club in the last few days, but I told Kevin Keegan immediately."

The mystery club has not been named, but is believed to be Newcastle United. The Magpies' manager, Bobby Robson, was interested in the Benarbia before he signed for City.

Interesting. I never knew he'd been linked with Newcastle at the time.

I was at that amazing 6-2 game at Hillsborough right after he signed and I remember chatting to my dad about him not ending up at Sunderland and how they would surely come to regret not signing him.

Just found this from 2001 (so I'm not going mad):

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... k-cat-deal

It's weird because I only really heard about us sniping Ali B when we got Distin and Newcastle fans were livid we kept nicking players from under them.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:46 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Ron and Paul Futcher and then Skippy a few years later.

Who was Skippy?

Apart from the kangaroo, obviously.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:56 pm

Denis Law straddled an excremental peak in 1960

Watch on youtube.com
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:

Who was Skippy?

David Oldfield. He knew how to work hard and he scored against the Rags
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:11 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

Who was Skippy?

Nice one. Wonderful memories of seeing Hinchcliffe haring past us in the Kippax to hammer in the fifth.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby gmercer1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:18 pm

I don't get this "When we were shit" because I've been reading the papers and listening to Sky Sports and we are STILL shit.......so I'll go for Silva!
gmercer1

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:16 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

Who was Skippy?

Nice one. Wonderful memories of seeing Hinchcliffe haring past us in the Kippax to hammer in the fifth.

Amen to that TB.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby BookJunior » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Good call although I never understood why Malcolm Allison broke up a very good team assembled by Tony Book selling Dave Watson for example. Paul was never going to be as good as Dave.

Nor for that matter Ron as good as Joe Royle and Brian Kidd.
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby BookJunior » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:02 pm

gmercer1 wrote:I don't get this "When we were shit" because I've been reading the papers and listening to Sky Sports and we are STILL shit.......so I'll go for Silva!

Hahahahaha! On that basis I'll go for Kevin de Bruyne.
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:39 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Denis Law straddled an excremental peak in 1960

Watch on youtube.com

I went to that game JC. I was only a kid and I went with a friend of mine who was a Leeds fan.

Denis Law had just been signed from Huddersfield for the mighty sum of £60,000 and all the Leeds old timers standing around us kept pontificating, throughout the game, that he was a complete waste of money (even in those days Leeds' fans knew nothing about football).

We had to leave the game ten minutes early to catch our train home, with City leading 3-2. As we were climbing over the slag heaps to get to Beeston Station, we heard two almighty roars which reflected the fact that Leeds had scored two very late goals to win the game 4-3.

I went home with my heart in my boots, only tempered by the fact that Bert Trautmann, my boyhood hero, had played really well for City and made a load of fine saves, so perhaps it was a fair result overall.

Leeds were playing in their blue and yellow strip as it was before the time that Don Revie became manager and changed it to make them look like Real Madrid.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby blues-clues » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:42 pm

Daniel Van Buyten?

Was really sorry he didn't stay with us but Keegan saying he would probably go to a "big club" probably didn't help.

We weren't exactly shit in 2004 but not good enough to keep him. Think he would probably hold his place in the team now. Good enough for Bayern long after he left us.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:Denis Law straddled an excremental peak in 1960

Watch on youtube.com

I went to that game JC. I was only a kid and I went with a friend of mine who was a Leeds fan.

Denis Law had just been signed from Huddersfield for the mighty sum of £60,000 and all the Leeds old timers standing around us kept pontificating, throughout the game, that he was a complete waste of money (even in those days Leeds' fans knew nothing about football).

We had to leave the game ten minutes early to catch our train home, with City leading 3-2. As we were climbing over the slag heaps to get to Beeston Station, we heard two almighty roars which reflected the fact that Leeds had scored two very late goals to win the game 4-3.

I went home with my heart in my boots, only tempered by the fact that Bert Trautmann, my boyhood hero, had played really well for City and made a load of fine saves, so perhaps it was a fair result overall.

Leeds were playing in their blue and yellow strip as it was before the time that Don Revie became manager and changed it to make them look like Real Madrid.

You should charge them for your posts on here with a back catalogue like yours MC :P
(I considered emigrating when they sold Denis after a single season, but he turned out to be unworthy of my veneration with his swampy ways.)
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby patrickblue » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:58 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
BookJunior wrote:It partly depends on the time period but this guy - Kazimierz Deyna.

Great Player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-X1NsLHqU

You beat me to it. A class act.

Deyna was an incredible footballer but I seem to recall that, in those days, the Communist Authorities in those Eastern European countries which were behind the 'Iron Curtain', only allowed their players to leave and play abroad when they reached the age of 30; at least, this was the case with regard to Poland.

Deyna was previously at Legia Warsaw which was an 'Army Club' and he came to us in 1978, I believe, when he had just turned 31, so we only obtained his services in the twilight part of his career and he had a number of injuries whilst he was at City which limited his appearances.

However, when he did play, he was a class act and his quality stood out a mile.

Loved the guy and it was a crying shame that we didn't get him whilst he was in his prime; that would have been something really special.

When I was on one of these long weekend city breaks in Warsaw, we had a guided tour from a delightful young Polish lady. Amongst all the stuff about the horrendous degradation inflicted on them by Hitler and Stalin between them, a part of the tour was the statue of Kazimierz Deyna. We got the full story of his career at Legia (who are still going) and his transfer, which I believe involved a lot of office equipment. Just for once, I knew more than the tour guide did.
It seems he's a bit of a legend, in Poland, certainly in Warsaw.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:04 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
BookJunior wrote:It partly depends on the time period but this guy - Kazimierz Deyna.

Great Player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-X1NsLHqU

You beat me to it. A class act.

Deyna was an incredible footballer but I seem to recall that, in those days, the Communist Authorities in those Eastern European countries which were behind the 'Iron Curtain', only allowed their players to leave and play abroad when they reached the age of 30; at least, this was the case with regard to Poland.

Deyna was previously at Legia Warsaw which was an 'Army Club' and he came to us in 1978, I believe, when he had just turned 31, so we only obtained his services in the twilight part of his career and he had a number of injuries whilst he was at City which limited his appearances.

However, when he did play, he was a class act and his quality stood out a mile.

Loved the guy and it was a crying shame that we didn't get him whilst he was in his prime; that would have been something really special.

When I was on one of these long weekend city breaks in Warsaw, we had a guided tour from a delightful young Polish lady. Amongst all the stuff about the horrendous degradation inflicted on them by Hitler and Stalin between them, a part of the tour was the statue of Kazimierz Deyna. We got the full story of his career at Legia (who are still going) and his transfer, which I believe involved a lot of office equipment. Just for once, I knew more than the tour guide did.
It seems he's a bit of a legend, in Poland, certainly in Warsaw.

The 1970s were a sort of golden age for Polish football and Deyna was in the forefront of all the admiration and excitement generated in that country for their national side. He was the Communist version of a 'pin-up boy'....rightly so as he was an unbelievable player.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby gillie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:40 pm

I always liked Eddie Mcgoldrick not the best footballer but I always thought he gave 100%.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:33 pm

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-f ... d-cup-play

here's a glimpse of Joe Fagan in an FA Cup tie against the Chavs in 1948. He played for City 158 times between 1938 and 1951. A key player in our promotion to the First Division in 1948, he later became captain before breaking his leg and leaving for a coaching career at the dippers. Great man.
Last edited by johnny crossan on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum