Favourite player when we were shit

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Favourite player when we were shit

Postby Midnight Blue » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:57 am

Some great names mentioned so far. The goat and swp two stand outs, but had soft spots for Tiatto, Wanchope, Gorgeous George and Pearce (pre-management) and can never forget Antoine Sibierski and his 50p shaped head.
Midnight Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Attractive Football

Postby BookJunior » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 am

It partly depends on the time period but this guy - Kazimierz Deyna.

Great Player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-X1NsLHqU
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby john@staustell » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:37 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:Lakey.

A sad, sad story; what an incredible player he could have become.

We were briefly half decent at that time so may not count!

I think old Division Two under El Mel counts, mate.

The whole era is just an alcoholic haze to me mate. I was sort of thinking the run up to the 5-1 and later finishing 5th. But then he was around for some years trying to get fit again
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby city saint » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:34 pm

don't know if it counts as we were half decent at times but I loved asa Hartford and dennis tueart class players and a mention for big dave Watson and joe corrigan
city saint
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Postby South Stand Balti » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:11 pm

BookJunior wrote:It partly depends on the time period but this guy - Kazimierz Deyna.

Great Player.

You beat me to it. A class act.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:29 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
BookJunior wrote:It partly depends on the time period but this guy - Kazimierz Deyna.

Great Player.

You beat me to it. A class act.

Deyna was an incredible footballer but I seem to recall that, in those days, the Communist Authorities in those Eastern European countries which were behind the 'Iron Curtain', only allowed their players to leave and play abroad when they reached the age of 30; at least, this was the case with regard to Poland.

Deyna was previously at Legia Warsaw which was an 'Army Club' and he came to us in 1978, I believe, when he had just turned 31, so we only obtained his services in the twilight part of his career and he had a number of injuries whilst he was at City which limited his appearances.

However, when he did play, he was a class act and his quality stood out a mile.

Loved the guy and it was a crying shame that we didn't get him whilst he was in his prime; that would have been something really special.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Loved the guy and it was a crying shame that we didn't get him whilst he was in his prime; that would have been something really special.

Same for me and Ali B. Extraordinary player. Loved the way we snaffled him up from under Newcastle's noses too. Willie mckay and KK. One of the best deals ever.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Loved the guy and it was a crying shame that we didn't get him whilst he was in his prime; that would have been something really special.

Same for me and Ali B. Extraordinary player. Loved the way we snaffled him up from under Newcastle's noses too. Willie mckay and KK. One of the best deals ever.

Was it not Sunderland?
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Slim » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Was it not Sunderland?

Ali Benarbia has snubbed a quick route to the Premiership to help Manchester City fulfil Kevin Keegan's promotion ambitions. The Algerian midfielder, already a Maine Road favourite after just three games, has been approached by a top-flight club.

But Benarbia remains committed to the club he joined on a free transfer from Paris St-Germain. Benarbia's agent, Willie MacKay, said last night: "We were contacted by a Premiership club in the last few days, but I told Kevin Keegan immediately."

The mystery club has not been named, but is believed to be Newcastle United. The Magpies' manager, Bobby Robson, was interested in the Benarbia before he signed for City.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Michael Brookes » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:26 pm

Always had a soft spot for Tarnat after that howitzer against Blackburn
Michael Brookes
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Michael Brookes wrote:Always had a soft spot for Tarnat after that howitzer against Blackburn

Like a nuclear device; amazing. :D
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:01 am

Forever Kinkladze.

But Weaver.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Chopper » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:37 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Michael Brookes wrote:Always had a soft spot for Tarnat after that howitzer against Blackburn

Like a nuclear device; amazing. :D

Slowest footballer ever. Don't forget that blast against Villa.
Chopper
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Dolemite

Postby sheblue » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:02 am

Has anybody mentioned nicky summerbie
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:41 am

sheblue wrote:Has anybody mentioned nicky summerbie

I had 16 summerbee on a red n black city jersey in the 90s fuck knows why! I think i jus wanted my folks to have to pay the maximum amount for shiert printing!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:52 am

Dubciteh wrote:
sheblue wrote:Has anybody mentioned nicky summerbie

I had 16 summerbee on a red n black city jersey in the 90s fuck knows why! I think i jus wanted my folks to have to pay the maximum amount for shiert printing!

I bet back then it was only about £20 for a shirt and name and number. Nothing like the prices today!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Bernie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Slim wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Was it not Sunderland?

The mystery club has not been named, but is believed to be Newcastle United. The Magpies' manager, Bobby Robson, was interested in the Benarbia before he signed for City.

The mystery club was Newcastle indeed. The Magpies would have liked to sign Benarbia during the 2001 summer mercato, since they already had his former Paris SG teammates Sylvain Distin and Laurent Robert in their squad. Ali B was a wonderful recruit for City in Championship. Many Premier League clubs would have dreamed to have him in their squad. Distin finally joined us after his one season loan to Newcastle, at the same time as Nicolas Anelka. It would have made a PSG kind of City with a left winger like Laurent Robert in addition to Benarbia, Distin and Anelka. What a great set pieces taker L.Robert was !

In my opinion, shitty days were only the 1996-2000 era, and in those days, a jewel started to shine under City's dull skies : Shaun Wright-Philips !
Bernie
Carlo Nash's Debut

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé (RIP)

Postby Grandad Rosler » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:14 pm

I remember being far too excited about us signing George Weah as well
Grandad Rosler
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Andy Morrison

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Bernie wrote:
Slim wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Was it not Sunderland?

The mystery club was Newcastle indeed. The Magpies would have liked to sign Benarbia during the 2001 summer mercato, since they already had his former Paris SG teammates Sylvain Distin and Laurent Robert in their squad. Ali B was a wonderful recruit for City in Championship. Many Premier League clubs would have dreamed to have him in their squad. Distin finally joined us after his one season loan to Newcastle, at the same time as Nicolas Anelka. It would have made a PSG kind of City with a left winger like Laurent Robert in addition to Benarbia, Distin and Anelka. What a great set pieces taker L.Robert was !

In my opinion, shitty days were only the 1996-2000 era, and in those days, a jewel started to shine under City's dull skies : Shaun Wright-Philips !

The eighties weren't the happiest of times overall.

It started with Big Mal's failed attempt to rebuild thge side and then him getting sacked. John Bond flattered to deceive although we did get to a Cup Final and then we had two relegations followed by two promotions.

Towards the end of the decade, Mel Machin was building a young side, dictated, to some extent, by the fact that we didn't have that much money to splash about and then he ended up getting sacked, to my mind prematurely, before that side matured into what might have been an interesting force.

All in all it was an up and down time for us, which was very disappointing as in the previous decade, we'd had a really good side with some fine players in our ranks.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dub City » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:46 pm

Andy Morrison, came in when club was on knees and dragged us up the table hard as fuck in a side that was too soft for the level they were at. For me one of our most important ever signings.

Would have to throw Goater in there aswell never looked to be in control of ball but always got in there when it counted.
Dub City
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum