MotM v Swansea

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Who are yours?

Caballero
3%
Fernandinho
No votes
Stones
1%
Kolarov
1%
Clichy
No votes
Toure
1%
Silva
17%
Sterling
2%
De Bruyne
No votes
Sane
13%
Jesus
61%
Zabaleta
No votes
Aguero
No votes
Fernando
No votes

Total votes : 87

Re: MotM v Swansea

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Makes me hope to God that we have a suitable replacement for Silva, coming through the ranks at the moment.
Because in two or three years time where are we going to get a replacement for him? Who could you buy that would give us what Merlin gives us.
To buy the equivalent of him at the age of twenty-one now, would cost a fortune.

I really hope a few of our brightest prospects make the grade.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby nottsblue » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:46 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Makes me hope to God that we have a suitable replacement for Silva, coming through the ranks at the moment.
Because in two or three years time where are we going to get a replacement for him? Who could you buy that would give us what Merlin gives us.
To buy the equivalent of him at the age of twenty-one now, would cost a fortune.

KDB is his long term replacement I'd have thought
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:06 pm

nottsblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:Makes me hope to God that we have a suitable replacement for Silva, coming through the ranks at the moment.

He might be the 'replacement' NB, but they're both slightly different players who, to my, mind are more complementary to each other, rather than being totally alike.

If we were looking for a carbon copy of Merlin, I'd be inclined to say "how do you replace the irreplaceable" ??

If we were buying a version of Silva today - and he was in his mid twenties - apart from anything else, I think the transfer fee would be somewhat astronomical......always pre-supposing we could find one.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby nottsblue » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

He might be the 'replacement' NB, but they're both slightly different players who, to my, mind are more complementary to each other, rather than being totally alike.

If we were looking for a carbon copy of Merlin, I'd be inclined to say "how do you replace the irreplaceable" ??

If we were buying a version of Silva today - and he was in his mid twenties - apart from anything else, I think the transfer fee would be somewhat astronomical......always pre-supposing we could find one.

A quality player without a question and certainly among the finest we have ever had. But, no player is indispensable nor irreplaceable. I grant you that to replace him like for like would be a very difficult task indeed. But though KDB is a different player he is still a class act and I for one do believe that with a bit more freedom and leeway in the number 10 role he would get even better. His goals ratio and assists are equal at least to Silva's already. Thus as a team we are not then going to sacrifice too much of our attacking prowess.

All that said, it will be a dreadful day when he hangs up his boots
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:49 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

A quality player without a question and certainly among the finest we have ever had. But, no player is indispensable nor irreplaceable. I grant you that to replace him like for like would be a very difficult task indeed. But though KDB is a different player he is still a class act and I for one do believe that with a bit more freedom and leeway in the number 10 role he would get even better. His goals ratio and assists are equal at least to Silva's already. Thus as a team we are not then going to sacrifice too much of our attacking prowess.

All that said, it will be a dreadful day when he hangs up his boots

It certainly will NB.

It'll be heartbreaking to say goodbye to our little magician.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby dazby » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:01 am

Aaron Mooy. To take over the Fernandinho/Silva role.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:20 am

nottsblue wrote:

He's not a direct replacement NB, but I would regard him as our brightest prospect to take up the mantle.

I'm just hoping we can find a like for like in the academy.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:25 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

He's not a direct replacement NB, but I would regard him as our brightest prospect to take up the mantle.

The long term Silva replacement Is Phil Foden. Class act
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:28 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

That's what I'm hoping Doug. No guarantees though. he's quite slight in build, but then again so is Silva.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:30 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Have we got a CL youth game tomorrow Doug?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Have we got a CL youth game tomorrow Doug?

Away to Red Bull Salzburg 17:00
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:50 am

and it's on BT Sport
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby sheblue » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:11 am

I know gabby is all the rage and rightly so.
But silva is the man.
Does this man ever get the credit he truly deserves?
Probably not. He gets the shit kicked out of him week in week out and still delivers on a consistent basis.
If he played for the SKY 3 he would be coronated by now. Turned into a God like figure. Like giggs Cantona Henry etc etc...
But he plays for city, so that won't be happening any time soon.
In a premier league / old division one all time 11 he would be first on the team sheet.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:26 am

sheblue wrote:I know gabby is all the rage and rightly so.
But silva is the man.
Probably not. He gets the shit kicked out of him week in week out and still delivers on a consistent basis.
If he played for the SKY 3 he would be coronated by now. Turned into a God like figure. Like giggs Cantona Henry etc etc...
In a premier league / old division one all time 11 he would be first on the team sheet.

Absolutely spot on SB.

The only small consolation is that City fans know the true qualities and attributes that make him a legendary colossus of a player, even if the small-minded and blinkered football world in this country don't want to recognise him as such.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby gmercer1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:36 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
sheblue wrote:I know gabby is all the rage and rightly so.
But silva is the man.

Absolutely spot on SB.

The only small consolation is that City fans know the true qualities and attributes that make him a legendary colossus of a player, even if the small-minded and blinkered football world in this country don't want to recognise him as such.

he is the Rolls Royce of the Premier League
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:and it's on BT Sport

Cheers IWT, Doug. Will give that a watch.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum